The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 PM
There he is!

We have an official solicit for Phonogram Vol. 3.

Quote:
Nearly a decade ago, Emily Aster sold half her personality for the power to rule a coven of phonomancers. I’m sure nothing could go horribly, monstrously wrong now. In a world where Music is Magic, a song can save or ruin your life. In THE IMMATERIAL GIRL, we discover what a video can do.

No real new information, but I am just so hyped for this.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

In other Gillen + McKelvie news, The Wicked + The Divine has been optioned for a TV series.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM

Convergence is mercifully over. I read that originally, the whole event was supposed to be disposable and all the different worlds they brought back from multiverses past were supposed to die again, but that plan got nixed at the last second.

The whole event was just stupid and took a neat idea and basically didn't remotely live up to its potential.

At the end of the final issue, when the Multiverse is tearing itself apart, and it's up to Supergirl and Barry Allen to go back to their history where they die to 'set things right' that was a legitimately sad point. But I think it was indicative of the lost potential here when Parallax Hal Jordan & Superman travel back to the original Crisis to create a new future for that multiverse, but we don't get to see any of that.

The great hope is that they can begin pumping out elseworld tales in those old multiverses or ongoing books akin to Earth 2 or Batman '66 that continues the tales of those places and puts them back in the DCU proper. But like, I don't really have a lot of faith in DC that this'll be handled well. They seem like they're bleeding talent as a company, and any continuations of those universes will probably be handled with the grace of the new Batman Beyond book rather than tastefully, masterfully, and within character like Batman '66. Especially considering their editorial is continuing to fumble the ball in the most hilariously inept manners possible. I mean, check out their new experiment with half-page ads:

Old 05-31-2015, 02:53 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
The whole event was just stupid and took a neat idea and basically didn't remotely live up to its potential.
I- well... eh, nevermind.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM
This Guy

My big problem with the half page ads is what do happens with the collected editions? Do they print on only half the page? Do they combine two half pages? Are the ads still there? I really can't understand how they think that is a good idea.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:34 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Presumably stuff gets rearranged into one page with single-page pinups or chapter breaks to even things out. It's what they do to make sure double-page splashes line up right in collected editions.

Or they just leave a big empty space, I dunno.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I really can't understand how they think that is a good idea.
More ad revenue.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM
This Guy

But are they actually getting more ad revenue? Is Twix paying more for two half page ads than just one full page? Couldn't DC just add another page or two of adds?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
But are they actually getting more ad revenue? Is Twix paying more for two half page ads than just one full page? Couldn't DC just add another page or two of adds?
They would have to add another four pages. But I think the idea is that it would be more attractive to the advertiser because those ads are harder to ignore, precisely because they interupt the flow of the page. They've been doing ads like that in manga forever, they just fill the page with extra art in the collected edition.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM

Secret Wars quick hits:

Inferno and Old Man Logan are good, really good in the case of OML. I've talked before about how when Brian Bendis is good, he's really good, and if you want to see what I mean, then read OML. Rachel and Miles talk more about them and you should listen to them.

Secret Wars Journal is another book of short stories, but this felt more like an advertisement for the other books, rather than just an anthology like Battlegrounds. "Hey kids, did you like 1602 Kate Bishop?* Then go read her in Shield #1, coming soon!"

MODOK Assassin I don't understand why it is but it is making MODOK feel more like a Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing and less like a Mental Organism Designed Only for Computing, if you catch what I mean. It's odd to see a MODOK that's actually effective and not played as a bit of a joke character.

Secret Wars 2099 I like the new Captain America and how Vision is now basically like Minority Report. Also, yay for Miggy!

X-Men '94 would fit right in with the animated series.

Infinity Gauntlet Meh.

finally Inhumans- Attlian Rising I think is supposed to be the Noir version of the Inhumans, what with Ghost Rider looking like something out of a gangster movie (with a tommy gun that shoots hellfire!)

and Black Bolt running a speakeasy. I like it!

*Yes. Yes I did.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
At the end of the final issue, when the Multiverse is tearing itself apart, and it's up to Supergirl and Barry Allen to go back to their history where they die to 'set things right' that was a legitimately sad point.
So, they copied and pasted story beats and character drama straight out of JLA/Avengers.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Hullo

I could have sworn that there were half page ads like that in the 90s and earlier.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
So, they copied and pasted story beats and character drama straight out of JLA/Avengers.
No? I don't think you get where this is coming from? Or I'm not following you?

In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, Supergirl and Barry Allen die. Here, in a pocket universe where their world was pulled out and 'saved' before that Crisis ended their world and their lives, Supergirl and Barry are being sent back to their timelines where certain death awaits them, and that's initially very sad.

But then a different Superman, not from that timeline, and Parallax Hal volunteer to go with them and help keep the original Crisis from happening the way it originally did. And that would have been really interesting to see but it happens off panel.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
No? I don't think you get where this is coming from? Or I'm not following you?

In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, Supergirl and Barry Allen die. Here, in a pocket universe where their world was pulled out and 'saved' before that Crisis ended their world and their lives, Supergirl and Barry are being sent back to their timelines where certain death awaits them, and that's initially very sad.
In the 2003 JLA/Avengers, in the process of saving both realities, the Grandmaster pulls together a JLA and a team of Avengers with "archetypal" rosters that hadn't faced any personal hardship yet --including a pre-Parallax Hal and a pre-Crisis Barry. When the Phantom Stranger shows them what awaits them if they DO save their respective realities (Superman sees his own death, Wanda and Vision see their kids, Bats sees Jason die, and so on) they decide to go ahead anyway because it's the right thing to do. Then, on the eve of the final battle, we have quiet little vignettes depicting a whole bunch of them internalizing what they were shown. The most poignant of those was Barry and Hal discussing where they're headed, what they'll leave behind, and wishing they had more time to spend as they are.

A little bit later, other Leaguers comment on the sacrifices those two are making, as even the Avengers aren't destined to die in the restored reality, just, well, suffer a lot.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Got ya. Yeah, sounds about right but condense it down to a handful of panels.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
We have an official solicit for Phonogram Vol. 3.

No real new information, but I am just so hyped for this.
fuck yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
OH FUCK YES
Old 06-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Dinger!

It might be time to start a WicDiv thread so we can talk about our dream cast scenarios. Sophie Turner as Amaterasu, anybody?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Dinger!

Double post because a Lumberjanes movie was also announced!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
It might be time to start a WicDiv thread so we can talk about our dream cast scenarios. Sophie Turner as Amaterasu, anybody?
Kristen Stewart's haunting angular jaw alone qualifies her to star in a show based on a comic book that Jamie McKelvie draws

Old 06-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Why does Bendis always write scenes where women get called fat insults?
Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Hullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Why does Bendis always write scenes where women get called fat insults?
Can't say I've noticed this one.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Kristen Stewart's haunting angular jaw alone qualifies her to star in a show based on a comic book that Jamie McKelvie draws

Stewart as The Morrigan is a distinct possibility. Baphomet even looks like Robert Pattinson a bit - they could have a reunion!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:30 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Can't say I've noticed this one.
"Always" pushes it but it's come up a few times in his Avengers run and it seems weird.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:28 PM

DC, pls, you're killing me...
Old 06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Find Your Reason

Since when is the Beyond suit nanotech, or... whatever that is? It was just smart cloth in the show.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Since when is the Beyond suit nanotech, or... whatever that is? It was just smart cloth in the show.
Since this was the Old Bruce of that world:

Future's End is the worst, guys.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Family Man

Batman Beyond is a premise where instead of being bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker was taught how to be Batman by an old Bruce Wayne while wearing a cybernetic batsuit with rocket boots. How did DC mess this up!?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I dunno, but the DCAU Beyond comic is still there.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 PM
This Guy

Future's End didn't have to be terrible; it started as the Terminator starring Batman Beyond which is a fine starting place for a comic, but hoo-boy was it terrible. The "best" part is that even though the good guys succeed in stopping Skynet Brother Eye, the future remains unchanged and the whole thing was pointless. So of course, the only comic to actually spin out of it is one starring a new Batman Beyond in the body horror future. Because everybody loved that.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Since this was the Old Bruce of that world:

Future's End is the worst, guys.
Granted, but it can salvage that scene if Batman starts spinning in circles, trying to arrest the back of his head.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day