The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
My understanding is that the router for the original Xbox will work with the Xbox 360.
I can confirm this.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I just got one of the 360 G adapters from Amazon new for $75 at a moment when most stores are still selling it for $100. Did I jump a month or two too early, in which case I could return it unopened and wait for further price drop, or is this probably as low as new G units will get?

Last edited by Vega; 09-24-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Well, my 360 finally RROD'd, leaving me with no next-gen console until I get either it or the PS3 fixed.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Not-That-Austin-Austin

Default Dead PS3 Fat: opt for a slim?

My PS3 fat died suddenly the other day.

It turned off and then I got a red blinking light. Apparently, even though it's a red light, this problem is categorized under the Y(ellow)LOD category. At any rate, it was quite tragic! I mean, I could toy with a heat gun and possibly fix it (though this technique isn't a well-liked one), or I could pay $150 dollars to Sony. Who knows, maybe the next refurbished fat will die as well.

Any of you new adapters have good luck with the Slim so far? I might just spring for $300 if it'll last me.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Well of the dozen or so of us that got one I don't think any have crapped out in the past 6 weeks if that means anything, haha. Mine has done a couple strange things though nothing repeated or consistent.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Overall, Nintendo consoles are incredibly resistant.

My NES died arund 2005. It still turns on, but rarely read any cartridge at all. My SNES finally died sometime last year, after very heavy use and the occasional drop. Its last two months were helped by the ol' sideways routine. Those were my only two consoles for the longest time, until I bought my Wii in late 2007. Apart from roughly five crashes and the odd squeaky noise, it's quite sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
How the hell does Microsoft think it's a good idea to rip off the customer on WiFi when Xbox 360 is the most online dependent console on the market!?
Precisely!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
utada hikaru

I always thought it was funny that I could get my Wii online so easily and yet do precisely dick with it. Except write this post.

And use the internet browser almost every day.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Let's see...

I accidentally dropped some of that powdered laundry detergent on both my fat PS2 and Gamecube, and although the Gamecube's lid won't stay shut without me putting something on top of it, they both still work fine.

My original Game Boy from like, 1990 I think, doesn't work, but that's because batteries were left in it and they rotted in my closet over the past twenty years.

My (I believe) launch Game Boy Color still works, other than the speaker, which does not emit any sound whatsoever (headphones still work, though).

My NES was purchased sometime in the late 90s used, and doesn't work very well, but that's likely because I never replaced the pin connector.

My SNES still works fine, I've had it for a while but don't remember when I got it.

My Genesis, 32X (bought it used for ten bucks yes I realized I overpaid SHUT UP), and Saturn all work fine still.

Virtual Boy still works, at least I know I've played it this year.

As far as broken stuff goes... well, my DS lite's L button didn't work until I got that tip from somebody on TT to blow on it, so I guess that doesn't count. Um... I only just got my 360 last year for Christmas (pro model) and it works fine, no problems so far (knock on wood). My roommate has gone through three though, but he bought his at launch.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

I got my Wii at launch, and quickly discovered that I had a defective disc drive. The console worked, and could presumably read discs, but you couldn't put discs in it. Totally heartbreaking. It took two days to get a Nintendo Rep on the phone and about five-to-seven-ish weeks to get a new system.

Currently, my DS lite is in need of repair. The hinge finally cracked a little, and the L and R buttons no longer work. I assume they're just full of dirt (this happened to my GBA, too), but I can't really do anything about it. It's also got loads of dead and stuck pixels (they're only particularly visible on black screens) and the back is scratched to heck (I accidentally left my nametag in my pocket with it once). I really want to replace it, but I'm torn between replacing it with a shiny new lime green DS or matte new pink DSi.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTwenty View Post
As far as broken stuff goes... well, my DS lite's L button didn't work until I got that tip from somebody on TT to blow on it, so I guess that doesn't count.
Blow?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
Blow?
Blow aggressively. The original post is buried somewhere in the depths of the Random Discontent thread, but it's worked for at least four people including myself.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
Blow?
Oh, it was Mazian. Thanks Mazian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazian View Post
Anyhow! I have achieved at least a temporary cure with this technique, though it did take two tries. Worth a shot.
Teg, you should try that too. It worked on the first try for my DS Lite, believe it or not.

...It seems blowing is the best way to fix video game hardware. There's a joke there, I'm sure of it.

Edit: Oops, beaten. This is that post, though.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Just got my first DS Lite hinge crack. The DS was bought right after Christmas last year, so it's still in warranty, but that only gets you $25 off the repair cost ($50 + $10 shipping, post-discount).

Why haven't they fixed this design problem by now? And why are they charging me: I thought this was a known problem and they were fixing it for free.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Spear of Justice

I thought Nintendo's in-warranty repairs were free, minus cost of shipping.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I thought Nintendo's in-warranty repairs were free, minus cost of shipping.
They probably are for the really rare electronics-related stuff. Obvious wear-and-tear wouldn't count, such as using a screwdriver as a stylus on the touchscreen. Cracked hinges seem to be very common and for a while they were replacing them free if there was no other obvious trauma damage, but I guess they stopped doing that now.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

First, let me make it clear I've never had any problem with hardware failure until this console generation. That fact alone makes me insanely bitter about the present time of gaming. That said,

- My launch 360 red-ringed the day Halo 3 came out. I brought the game home, went into my room to let my roommate continue whatever game he was playing at the time, and then he came in and told me the system red ringed. Luckily, I swapped it out with another working console that day for 50 bucks thanks to my connections with GameCrazy...
- My next 360 would be lent to my other roommate when he went to work, where it red ringed. He swapped it out with yet another console without even telling me. I didn't know about this until . . .
- . . . My next 360 redringed. Then he confessed. This one should be back to me from Microsoft this weekend.
- My launch PS3 (Which I bought a year after the fact) is having GPU issues, and I don't know why. It's not overheating, I've changed the thermal paste, but it is still plauged with extreme artifacting, polygon stretching and ultimately, freezing. I have not been able to play Batman: Arkham Asylum, a game I only got for PS3 because of my dead 360, for more than 5 minutes at a time. Thankfully, it still plays blu-rays and PS1/2 games fine, so I'll keep it around as my PS2 when I eventually get a new PS3. Don't know when THAT'S going to be though.
- My PSP stopped reading UMDs. It's essentially a PSPGo. *Ba-dum, CHING!*
Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Mad Overlord

My consoles have all been pretty reliable so far (knock on wood), but my computer is less so lately.

Every time I try to burn discs on my computer, the drive will work for a while, and then just refuse to cooperate any further, locking itself closed until I reboot.

Also, my card reader now doesn't get detected by my laptop, and the desktop won't boot up while it's plugged in. At least this one's a cheap replacement.

Oh, and I recently moved the computer into the living room and hooked it up to the TV. It works great most of the time, but every once in a while when it's been sitting idle for a few hours, it will decide the TV (the only display it's hooked up to) is no longer the primary monitor, and show only an extension of the desktop, which I can't actually do anything from. I can't even open Catalyst Control Center to fix it, because it opens on the phantom monitor that doesn't exist. So far, I've managed to fix it with swapping between DVI ports every time it happens, but it's getting old fast.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 AM

My 360

SHE IS FIXED

Time to play Halo 3

(They also gave me 3 months free Live, which is great and all but if they're going to give it away for free why am I paying so much for it)
Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

To hook you and make you pay for it?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
My consoles have all been pretty reliable so far (knock on wood), but my computer is less so lately.

Every time I try to burn discs on my computer, the drive will work for a while, and then just refuse to cooperate any further, locking itself closed until I reboot.

Also, my card reader now doesn't get detected by my laptop, and the desktop won't boot up while it's plugged in. At least this one's a cheap replacement.

Oh, and I recently moved the computer into the living room and hooked it up to the TV. It works great most of the time, but every once in a while when it's been sitting idle for a few hours, it will decide the TV (the only display it's hooked up to) is no longer the primary monitor, and show only an extension of the desktop, which I can't actually do anything from. I can't even open Catalyst Control Center to fix it, because it opens on the phantom monitor that doesn't exist. So far, I've managed to fix it with swapping between DVI ports every time it happens, but it's getting old fast.
Problems:
1) Either some kind of funky driver conflict or a problem with the cd drive motor (had something similar happen to a prior drive of mine, and was the tray motor)
2) If it's a Vista OS on your laptop, Vista has a few issues around built in Card Readers/USB Hubs (since my Dell one acts funky, and occasionally isn't recognized on bootup). Basically just reboot it until it does get recognized, or check for updated drivers for your card reader if you haven't done that already.
3) Driver conflict! ATI cards are especially finicky, especially right after MS releases updates to their OSs. Easiest way to resolve it is uninstall your old drivers and CCC after downloading the latest updates and run your monitor on the native Windows drivers as you install the new stuff.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
To hook you and make you pay for it?
Oh man I love these 12-year-olds calling me gay sign me up for more of that

Oh, Brutal Legend will work now as well! Now I have to work out how to afford it. (For those who don't keep track of the minutiae of my life: my 360 was incapable of playing either Halo 3 or, it emerged, Brutal Legend. Every other game worked fine.)
Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Problems:
1) Either some kind of funky driver conflict or a problem with the cd drive motor (had something similar happen to a prior drive of mine, and was the tray motor)
2) If it's a Vista OS on your laptop, Vista has a few issues around built in Card Readers/USB Hubs (since my Dell one acts funky, and occasionally isn't recognized on bootup). Basically just reboot it until it does get recognized, or check for updated drivers for your card reader if you haven't done that already.
3) Driver conflict! ATI cards are especially finicky, especially right after MS releases updates to their OSs. Easiest way to resolve it is uninstall your old drivers and CCC after downloading the latest updates and run your monitor on the native Windows drivers as you install the new stuff.
Thanks, but I've been a PC gamer long enough that updating to the latest drivers is one of the first things I try when anything goes wrong. Those issues are all after getting the most current available ones.

You're probably right about the CD drive motor, but I'm living with it for now, since it's usually OK as long as I don't try to burn multiple CDs in sequence.

The card reader is probably a lost cause, since it's some no-name Taiwanese brand that doesn't seem to have a website anymore. It worked fine for several years before suddenly stopping (on both computers simultaneously), so I'm pretty sure it's just dead.

I'm hoping that the display issue will go away when the Win 7 upgrade arrives (got a new computer for my in-laws last month, and am keeping the free upgrade disc).
Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him

I think I'll post my problem with my PC here:

I got my PC I built myself working, but it has a problem: Whenever the signal is interrupted by something, such as restarting or changing the resolution, the monitor no longer receives a signal. It happened after I installed the drivers for the video card, but when I downloaded the updated ones it didn't help. So I'm not sure how to fix it.

My monitor is a small TV that can double as a monitor and I'm using the HDMI port.

Edit: Oh and it also sometimes displays zoomed in and cuts off the edges when I boot up Windows.

Last edited by SilentSnake; 10-16-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's a problem with your TV. Most HDTV's don't handle sudden resolution changes well, so there's nothing you can really do to fix that. The other part sounds like your TV's default ratio/zoom mode is set to something different than "Normal."
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
It's a problem with your TV. Most HDTV's don't handle sudden resolution changes well, so there's nothing you can really do to fix that. The other part sounds like your TV's default ratio/zoom mode is set to something different than "Normal."
So I guess this goes for switching from component for my Xbox to HDMI for my computer as well? Because it loses it when that happens too.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
The other part sounds like your TV's default ratio/zoom mode is set to something different than "Normal."
That's probably overscan rearing its ugly face. I always lose part of the screen when I connect my computer to the TV. Same with consoles, but those take overscan into consideration. That's why there's never anything essential too close to the edge of the screen in console games.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Literalist

So I recently discovered that a PS3 Sixaxis controller can't stand up to a punch from an irate, incredibly frustrated young man of about my size and build. I came to this conclusion, of course, through a very scientific and professional process.

Incidentally, I need a new PS3 controller now.

For bonus points (!), guess the game that caused this little hardware malfunction.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahn16 View Post
So I recently discovered that a PS3 Sixaxis controller can't stand up to a punch from an irate, incredibly frustrated young man of about my size and build. I came to this conclusion, of course, through a very scientific and professional process.

Incidentally, I need a new PS3 controller now.

For bonus points (!), guess the game that caused this little hardware malfunction.
Flower! Demon's Souls, I bet.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Literalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTwenty View Post
Flower! Demon's Souls, I bet.
"No" to both, amazingly enough. I actually haven't played Demon's Souls yet. /is ashamed to call himself an Atlus fanboy
Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Judging by the other thread, Uncharted 2?

Tags
griping , hardware , tech support