The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Evocative

Default Irate Thread of Hardware Failure and Associated Fist-Shaking

Thankfully I haven't had any major hardware failures recently, perhaps to make up for the time my MacBook died on me twice in three months. My Wiimote stopped working a while ago, but that's easy and semi-cheap to replace.

My good friend just had his PS3 die. I guess the yellow light of doom just appeared one day. He's sent it in for repair, but until it gets back, he's without a system and I'm without a person to play RE5 online with.

By the way - it seems to me that current-gen systems have been breaking down a lot more than older generations of consoles. Is it just a function of shoddy manufacturing and trying to save money?

So I guess this is a thread to complain about broken systems? And the toll they take on wallet and soul?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

I've had my old-ish UPS breakdown on me. I had my computer and systems hooked up to it, but fortunately I didn't lose more than about half an hour of non-progress in Metroid Prime 2 and weeks ago maybe 10 minutes of Arkham Asylum progress. When the latter happened I wasn't really sure if it was the UPS or not, it took it screwing up twice in a day for me become fully aware of it.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
By the way - it seems to me that current-gen systems have been breaking down a lot more than older generations of consoles.
Nnnno.

The across the board crumminess of the 360 aside, the PS3 is--relative to the first two--pretty damn reliable.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Within weeks of getting my Dreamcast controller port 1 up and died. Sega fixed it for me for free (that is, sent me a refurbished one) and that one was dead out of the box. They replaced that one and it still works great to this day.

My 360 red ringed after 2 years of pretty thorough use. Microsoft replaced it for me with a fairly good turnaround time. The one I have now seems much quieter than my old console.

My original NES finally gave up the ghost last year, but that's pretty darn good considering how old it was and how much I used it.

My original Game Boy still works like a champ and I've dropped it several times, stepped on it, and just generally beat the heck out of it. Why is that so durable and stuff today so fragile?

Oh and I run an IT department so I've seen all manner of disk failures/fans dying/overheating/motherboards frying to recount here.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

*knock on wood*
In all of my years of gaming, the only thing that has ever, ever completely broken on me was my original Final Fantasy cart. Just completely borked on me.

Buuuuut, I didn't have a PS1, my PS2 is a fairly young slim, and my Gamecube has been mothballed since I got my Wii (which does sometimes make odd noises, but is holding out so far). So I haven't had a ton of optical media to fool with (carts seem to last way longer on average), and I haven't gotten the so-hot-they-burn-themselves-out next-gen devices yet. And when I do, it'll be a new slim PS3.

I guess what I'm saying is sucks to be an early adopter.

I saw a thing today about a 2-Terabyte SD card. Think we'll ever get to a point when home consoles will come on solid media again? And since the problems this gen seem to related to heat more than moving parts, would it even matter?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
You are Destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Nnnno.
Fucking citation needed on this one. Almost two entire generations of home consoles had no moving parts. All of mine still work, and yet I've been through 4 PS2's and 2 PSX's. Yes, this is all anecdotal, but a few cursory google searches show it to be anecdotal for a frankly excusable number of people.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

We had a 360 RROD on us. Replaced for nothin' and since it was under Gamestop's warranty we didn't even have to ship it.

Our first PS2 (bought by SO very soon after it first became available) starting acting crotchety before we replaced it last year, taking forever to read some disks and refusing to read others, but it "wasn't dead yet!"

And the SNES displays a wide vertical yellow stripe on every game. For a veteran that was bought used ages ago and has been shipped cross-country at least twice and never once having been cleaned, it's really hangin' in there!

The 360 is the only true failure in the bunch. I'm not even going to count the PCs and all the stupid stuff that happened with them.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 PM
BAG

I hear it's quite common for the Gamecube's laser to disalign after a few years. I know mine that I got in Nov. 2001 did this in late 2005.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
I hear it's quite common for the Gamecube's laser to disalign after a few years. I know mine that I got in Nov. 2001 did this in late 2005.
Yeppers. I fixed two of them, one of my own and another for a friend. You basically open the Gamecube and slightly turn something that looks like a screw to fix it.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

My 360 is currently in the hands of FedEx. I've had some crazy computer things over the years (such as the laptop that had kernel panics constantly until they replaced just about every piece), but some were my own fault.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Anyone else have a Wii that appears to turn itself on randomly, only it isn't on? Just the eerie blue light from the disk reader?

I'm not sure if it's a sign of immanent hardware failure or that my house was build on an ancient Indian burial ground... or possible both.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I'm not a Wii owner, but I think that has something to do with automatic updates. My brother's does the same thing.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I say thee neigh

The Wii also lights up if you have a message with on it's archaic messaging doodad
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Arch-Chocolatier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMX View Post
Fucking citation needed on this one. Almost two entire generations of home consoles had no moving parts. All of mine still work, and yet I've been through 4 PS2's and 2 PSX's. Yes, this is all anecdotal, but a few cursory google searches show it to be anecdotal for a frankly excusable number of people.
I think onimaruxlr was counting PSXs and PS2s among the "older generations of consoles".
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Anyone else have a Wii that appears to turn itself on randomly, only it isn't on? Just the eerie blue light from the disk reader?
All the time.

Then I turned off WiiConnect 24 and now it only nags me about messages if one comes while I'm playing a game. Turning off WiiConnect 24 may seriously be a good idea because of the amount of heat the Wii produces with it's enabled.

Last edited by Eusis; 09-22-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM

My PS3's HDD has completely checked out, and I'm currently without as little as the $20 or so needed to replace it. I panicked earlier this week as I got a Red Ring error on my 360 as soon as I brought it home, but it seems to have been a problem with my surge protector as it cleared itself up after I changed sockets.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Spelunker Die

So far I've had my Wii die, my PS3 slowly die, and no fewer than six 360s fail for various reasons. Before this gen I've never had an issue with any of my consoles and I haven't been doing anything unusual with them since, so I'm not sure why I've had such a run of bad luck with these problems. The only one that really annoyed me was the PS3 though. Nintendo support was excellent and I got my Wii taken care of easily, and I've gone through Microsoft support so many times at this point that it's almost became a routine, but Sony's support was painful to deal with and at the end of it they wanted $150 to fix a console that was just barely a year past purchase.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
Turning off WiiConnect 24 may seriously be a good idea because of the amount of heat the Wii produces with it enables.
This right here, qft, so hard, ect. I probably left WiiConnect24 on for the first six months or so I had my hardware before the amount of heat it generated was absolutely frightening.

But no, no major hardware failures. While some things are simply out of our control (defective hardware), I make it a point to take good care of my things. My top loading NES is still running just as strong as it did the day I bought it, and I've had that sucker since '92 or '93. The worst I can say is that my launch DS Lite has a dead pixel on it, but that's only visable on dark or black screens, so it's not even really an issue.

I've had two things break on me over the years: My brother's front loading NES crapped out in probably the late 90s. That was a long time coming, though. And then, my Atari 7800 finally gave up the ghost in '01 or '02. Again, long time coming, and at that point I was using Sega Genesis controllers to play the thing (the controllers plug right in, didn't you know). Being forced to get rid of all my games (with a few exceptions I hid away) was a very heartbreaking day.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 AM
In the Hall of Judgment

I bought my DS Lite on the very first day, and the top screen's giving out on me. Basically, the DS has to be open at very specific angles in order to get anything to be displayed. At this point, I basically have to have it at 90 degrees or less in order to see anything on the top screen.

I took it to a local gaming shop that does repairs and got an estimate of 50 bucks to fix it. Gamestop said they'd give me about 25 to trade in a busted DS. I've been thinking of doing that and upgrading to a DSi. Any advice?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

I have a DS with a floppy screen. I was disappointed to read that this is a common problem with the DS Lite, because it's otherwise such a great system.

My Wii crashes a bit - reconnecting with Rock Band instruments is the latest thing that seems to trigger it, but it also sometimes dies while loading Smash Bros. The really annoying thing is, despite the message saying to eject the disc and reset, the only thing that works is unplugging it.

In general I take good care of my hardware and it keeps working, though I must admit that I mostly play old games in emulation these days for convenience's sake.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Cranky Geezer In Training

My PS2 was failing to spin discs awhile back, but for whatever reason disassembly, dusting via canned air, tightening a few mounting screws that were starting to come loose, and re-assembly fixed the problem.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 AM
you can't win them all

- 1 360 red-ring
- 1 PS2 fat that reads some disks never and some disks sometimes and some disk always that i replaced with a PS2 slim
- 3 PS2 controllers (i don't throw controllers, they just die on me)
- 2 Rock Band guitar controllers and 1 Guitar Hero 2 guitar controller
- my Dreamcast only works when turned upside-down

i've been pretty lucky, although the red-ring, all three guitar controller breaks, and Dreamcast not working rightside-up all happened within the last year, so maybe that's changing.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Peeper

I bought a used NES in 1998 and it still works pretty well. It'd probably work even better if I bothered to replace the pin connectors or just send it in to the Nintendo Repair Shop.

My SNES runs beautifully and has since 1992. It's gotten a LOT of use over the years.

I don't have my N64 anymore but it ran fine while I had it.

My Gamecube worked fairly well except on those odd occasions where it didn't.

My Wii works fine but I don't play it an inordinate amount either.

I had a tough time with both Dreamcasts I've owned. Playing through Skies of Arcadia and having the game go back to the boot menu right before I'd get to a save point was heartbreaking. The DC had some great games but the system itself was totally unreliable for me.

I had a normal PS2 that wouldn't read PS1 games or the PS2 discs with blue sides, but then my dad dropped it while I was moving and it was done for at that point. My slim PS2 works pretty well except for that time I killed it with static electricity accidentally.

The one thing I do miss about the older generations of game systems is their reliability. The fact I have a 20 year old NES that still works while Xbox 360s less than a year old break down boggles my mind.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
brandstetter

Never had general hardware failure on a system, not even the comparably-trivial gamecube misaligned laser thing (although my genesis was degrading rapidly; those things were built out of play-do, the power and reset buttons always got stuck, blargh).
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I had an original PS2 stop reading anything. It was also a replacement for a PS1 that crapped out, which prompted the upgrade.

I'm a little worried that my 2 week old PS3 slim shut itself down automatically due to heat kind of randomly this weekend. I had been playing something for about an hour. I've used it for longer stretches, so I'm not sure what caused it. I assume it's a good thing that it flashed a written warning, and turned off hopefully before anything was damaged. Does this just happen sometimes?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Hawkguy

My 360 is currently being wishy-washy when it comes to reading my game discs. When it fails completely I'm going to just buy a 360 arcade to replace it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

The worst I've had happen is some intermittent disc read errors on certain types of PS2 discs, and I fixed all of those with the Tape Trick. Otherwise, no problems- I haven't even had any cartridge batteries fail. My NES and games were around 20 years old when I sold them, and the carts worked just fine, despite only being guaranteed for five years.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
To the Max

- The Gameboy I had since 1991 is dead. I found it at my parents' house around the time when we were all going on a Game Boy love fest of nostalgic goodness, and while it could boot up games in theory 90% of the screen was ruined.

- My launch model PS1 (Christmas 1995) began to peter out by the end of 1996, with constant skipping and freezing. I had to do to infamous "lay it upside down" trick to get another 6 months out of it, but eventually it refused to play anything. I remember calling Sony customer support to complain, and they tried to convince me that using a Gameshark caused it to stop working. Even as a 6th grader I realized that was bullshit. My replacement system (the model with the relocated CD-ROM drive) still works to this day.

- My launch model Dreamcast still works great, though I think the modem might be fried. I remember having problems with getting it to connect to the internet late in the system's life, but I haven't tried to hook it up to a dialup connection since 2002.

- The early model PS2 (bought in March 2001, the same day as ZOE1's release) still works, though not particularly well. The last time I booted it up it couldn't play many PS1 games, nor could it play any DVDs. This is part of the reason why I bought a PS3, actually.

- 3 RRoD. I was a relatively early adopter of the 360 (I bought it in March 2006 along with Oblivion) and I didn't get my first red ring for nearly a year. The two replacement systems Microsoft sent had progressively shorter lifespans, and the final one lasted a whopping 2 weeks. By that time I was pretty sick of receiving shitty refurbished systems from Microsoft, so I went out and bought a replacement and gave the original to my friend. I haven't had a single problem with my current 360 in over two years (knock on wood) and my friend has had to send in his two more times, but hey, he got a free 360 so he isn't complaining!

Other than those, every other system and game I have is fine. My 20+ year old NES still works as good as it did when I first got it. Hell, the Atari 2600 that was in my family before I was born still works great.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Erratic

I've had two PS2 fats break down on me, currently on my third at the moment and a forth for playing Japanese games. My 360 finally RROD on me back in July but thankfully the process was really quick and I got it back within a fortnight.

My Wii recently started telling me that my system files were corrupted on bootup, but it seems to have cleared up since I reseted the system memory, it was not fun re-downloading over 100 VC and Wiiware titles I can tell you! Oh and my PS3 occasionally hangs on websites or in games and will beep three times when I switch it off, which is rather worrying.

Never had any trouble with my two PS1's both of which are 2nd hand, guess I'm lucky with them, my Dreamcast, SNES and N64 are all still perfect, Saturn's are fine although I haven't owned them for long, oh and my original Xbox disc drive crapped out after a year or so. Has anyone else had the PS3 freezing thing happen to them, is it cause for concern?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
My good friend just had his PS3 die. I guess the yellow light of doom just appeared one day. He's sent it in for repair, but until it gets back, he's without a system and I'm without a person to play RE5 online with.
Same thing happened to me just a couple weeks ago. The turn around time is pretty good, though - I had it back in under 10 days. (It's funny realizing just how much I used my PS3 once it was gone, actually.)

Anyway, I've always just kind of assumed that as gaming technology gets more and more complex, there are more and more things that can go wrong - which is why stuff like this tends to die sometimes, whereas my SNES is still chugging along.

Tags
griping , hardware , tech support