The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Not Constantinople

I was enjoying Assassin's Creed for a while, but the more I play it the more obvious the bad controls and camera become. At this point I'm playing it through because A) I want to finish it before I play the reportedly much better sequel and B) I quit on so many games last year I don't want to start that habit early this year.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Geez, you wimps! If you only grew a third hand like Nintendo wanted, this wouldn't be a problem!

But seriously, I'm playing Planet Robobobobobobobo (etc) bot right now and I'm noticing that you're STILL locked into A for jump and B for attack. A for jump and X for attack would have made a lot more sense, but sure, whatever you say Nintendo! Don't even give me the option to change the key configuration, because you know best! Ugh.
That's because it's on a handheld and they think that B and A are angled the same way they were as if they were on an iteration of the Game Boy or the NES controller, but unfortunately for everyone, they're not, so they won't change it to the much more sensible Y attacks and B jumps buttons (this was also the issue with playing GBA games on a DS. Yeah, they're the "right buttons", but the diamond face button layout makes their B and A the least comfortable way to play)

Nintendo never gave a shit about anyone when it came to controls and controllers. N64 and Gamecube were proof of that, so I dunno why anyone is surprised at their fuckery...
Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I was enjoying Assassin's Creed for a while, but the more I play it the more obvious the bad controls and camera become. At this point I'm playing it through because A) I want to finish it before I play the reportedly much better sequel and B) I quit on so many games last year I don't want to start that habit early this year.
My counterpoint: Life is too short to play games that you've stopped enjoying.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Nintendo never gave a shit about anyone when it came to controls and controllers. N64 and Gamecube were proof of that, so I dunno why anyone is surprised at their fuckery...
But… Gamecube just has one big button!

(Seriously though, it’s the most comfortable controller ever.)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
My counterpoint: Life is too short to play games that you've stopped enjoying.
The thing is, there's just enough interesting to make me keep wading through the frustration. Plus I heard it's on the short side if you don't try and hit everything.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Not Constantinople

Also I just realized that fucking scribblekid cartoon has biased me towards giving this game more than its due 11 years later.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Not Constantinople

And now I've learned that the control issues don't really go away as the series progresses, at least until the most recent installment.

I really wanted to like this series and play through it, but I don't think I can do these horribly implemented contextual controls over and over.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I just skipped ahead to the pirate one and the Egypt one.* I don't regret this decision.

* I have not yet touched the stabby portion of the Egypt one. Because it has a game mode where I can explore without killing anybody or anything and maybe learn something in the process. I wish Ubi would retroactively add this mode to previous games like the pirate one and the Italian one.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

They've never really "fixed" the controls but you might get better at understanding how to avoid their worst parts.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Not Constantinople

Finally had to turn on Assist mode in Celeste. The chase at the end of Chapter 3 was starting to feel interminable. Every time you'd think that now it should end, it keeps going. Add to that that the Switch's analogue stick isn't the most precise thing, and I just had enough.

I'm going to try to use Assist sparingly, but I'm glad it's there if I need it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:03 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Thought I'd give Skyward Sword another go. I originally bought it three years ago, along with a somewhat expensive gold Wiimote Plus, and to my chagrin I've barely even touched it. I got to midway through the first dungeon, decided I wasn't having any fun and put it down.

So has the passage of time changed my opinion? Uh, not really. The combat is the biggest bugbear - nothing about it feels fluid or intuitive to me. I constantly feel like I'm getting stuck in loops of pounding away at enemies and doing no damage.

I keep hearing how this is some people's favourite Zelda game, and I just can't see it. It just feels like more of a struggle to play than I'm willing to endure.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Here's something I firmly believe that I never hear: Ogre Battle 64 sucks compared to the SNES one!

The replacement of Tarot with Elem Pedra is a huge mistake. Instead of a myriad of skills that could help turn the tide of battle, we now have a much smaller set of barely-usable elemental spells that never seem to help and can almost never be used.

Also: Soldiers! Horrible idea, adds nothing! The first quarter of the game is practically a babysitting simulator. Huge pain, incredibly stupid. The lack of easy access to Revive items and zombification of unrevived party members after battles just compounds how frustrating this all feels. Its like that scene in the Simpsons with the Juice Loosener, y'know? They pour in a whole bag of oranges and get a drop of juice. OB64 is a lot like that.

Also: alignment! This seems to be the make-or-break factor for a lot of people with this series, but OB64 is a much worse offender than MotBQ. The need to maintain Law, Chaos AND Neutral parties is too much, and the up/down seems impossible to govern reliably. Party members can gain AND lose alignment from fighting identical parties im unchanged circumstances. Different party members can gain OR lose alignment from the same battle.Together with the uncontrollable party, formation-dependent attack probabilities and generally stupid AI and.. Well.. Its not fun! The idea that you can plan reliably to raise CHA or ALI units is like the Conservative idea that a poor person can save for retirement with sound financial planning- its a huge fucking lie!

Anyway... Still playing the game... Love the graphics even though the loss of Akihiko Yoshida is overall a huge loss to the art design. I also love that a big chunk of the main MotBQ cast appear as major characters in the story.

Edit: Oh, I forgot: moving around on battle maps also fucking sucks. Straight lines? Forget it! How's your character gonna get from Point A to Point B? Better roll the damn dice and hope for the best! I also love that your own characters' map movement is utterly unpredictable, while the AI obsessively and constantly micromanages the movement of its defeated/routed parties to get away from you. Makes chasing down defeated parties insanely tedious. Also since you cant auto-target any parties (just towns, which is also a pain since sometimes you want to be NEAR a town but not enter it- but you can't because of this stupid feature), there's no workaround. Just resetting a character's target path over and over and over and over.. Ridiculous!!!

For those of you who've played this game and know what I'm talking about, I genuinely wonder how many people enthusiastically completed this title WITHOUT abusing the item dupe glitch. The game almost seems to encourage it with the totally unbalanced difficulty.

Edit 2: I think I figured out the ALI system, actually- its just whatever you don't want. Whatever you're trying to do, the ALI system will do the opposite. Its unbelievable. Absolute horseshit. A sloppy mess, so so stupid good lord.

Last edited by ghosttaster; 01-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM
This Guy

I played the game (the first handful of chapters fairly recently) and have little to no idea what you are talking about. I never had much problem with navigation or party alignment. Though I did have to spend 15 minutes learning how alignment worked. I guess soldiers were a little pain; again, I never had a problem with them. I had two groups with them to get male/female units and they were weaker units, but they mostly did mop-up duty.

Its funny you mention zombification, because the hassle I encountered was getting a couple of undead units just to mess around with them.

Thinking about it makes me want to go back to that replay I started.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 PM
This Guy

I love Dragon Quest, but Zing is the worst thing in any game. Your revive spell has a 50% (hahhahahahahaha) chance to actually work.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Zing in the Dragon Quest games is something I've always tolerated. On the one hand, it definitely sucks that your initial resurrection spell for much of the game only works half of the time, but on the other hand, the spell being a gamble where you either revive a party member or waste a turn and your MP is kind of the whole point.

Dragon Quest is all about rolling the dice. One day you're lucky enough to slaughter a liquid metal slime before it can run and get its rare item drop, the next day your entire party gets blown up by a suicidal winged monkey.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Much of DQ can be explained by Yuji Horiis gambling problem
Old 01-21-2019, 02:18 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

just because it has a point doesn't mean it's not garbage
Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Don't have to use Zing if you never get killed

*headtap.gif*
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM
This Guy

That was plan A. Plan B was to cast zing on one character 11 times before running out of mp and dying.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

Casting Zing in battle is just an act of madness or desperation. I only ever use it to cut down on the cost of reviving in town.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 AM
This Guy

It was Jessica in the Empyrea battle in DQ8. Stupid bird is all but immune to physical attacks, making my usual strategy of have Yangus bash it useless. I needed her to deal any sort of magic damage while Angelo kept people alive.

It would also help if I weren't severely underleveled.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Empyrea is unusually difficult for when she appears, but I don't remember her being particularly resilient to physicals. Could be you're just extremely underleveled.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Diagnosis: worrying underleveled
Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Empyrea may well be the single toughest fight in the game, but she’s also one of the last fights in the game, so that helps.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM
oh my car

I seem to recall the trick to that fight was to equip a bunch of anti-confusion accessories.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I really enjoy Paper Mario Sticker Star, but the squid boss is a giant jerk. The bosses in general really don't need that insane defense.

The puzzles are also more obtuse than i'd like.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Not Constantinople

Just finished chapter 6 of Celeste and yeah, sometimes the devs do not understand when enough is enough. I used Assist a couple of times because I was just done.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 AM
Born in the USA

I know what you mean. The "boss" sequences are a bit much.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:57 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Okay so my decision to play Danganronpa V3 after sitting through the trash fire that was the D3 anime was probably already a bad decision on my part. But hey, it has a female protagonist this time and that's my #1 weak spot so. Also I had heard that something about the ending to V3 had royally pissed off fans of the franchise, and anything that would piss off fans of a franchise like Dangranronpa has a good chance of being Actually Good.

But. But. But nobody warned me about the "twist" to the first chapter which is just the most ugh ever. The most ugh. I'm done with this game, done with this franchise, and frankly done with anything that its creators ever make again if I can be bothered to check.

The game that was advertised as having a female protagonist, for the first time in a franchise that tends to have some cool female characters but usually treats them like shit, kills said female protagonist for the sole purpose of motivating the milquetoast pile of pus who is revealed to be the game's true (male) protagonist. UGH.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
Okay so my decision to play Danganronpa V3 after sitting through the trash fire that was the D3 anime was probably already a bad decision on my part. But hey, it has a female protagonist this time and that's my #1 weak spot so. Also I had heard that something about the ending to V3 had royally pissed off fans of the franchise, and anything that would piss off fans of a franchise like Dangranronpa has a good chance of being Actually Good.

But. But. But nobody warned me about the "twist" to the first chapter which is just the most ugh ever. The most ugh. I'm done with this game, done with this franchise, and frankly done with anything that its creators ever make again if I can be bothered to check.

The game that was advertised as having a female protagonist, for the first time in a franchise that tends to have some cool female characters but usually treats them like shit, kills said female protagonist for the sole purpose of motivating the milquetoast pile of pus who is revealed to be the game's true (male) protagonist. UGH.
Ironically you're probably in exactly the right mindset to like the ending of the game then:
The final trial essentially ends with milquetoast and assassin girl (who becomes co-protagonists with milquetoast in the final chapter) yelling at Danganronpa fans on the internet about how much they suck for liking this bullshit and that the series just needs to go away already. And they win.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games , whambulance