The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I was enjoying Assassin's Creed for a while, but the more I play it the more obvious the bad controls and camera become. At this point I'm playing it through because A) I want to finish it before I play the reportedly much better sequel and B) I quit on so many games last year I don't want to start that habit early this year.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Geez, you wimps! If you only grew a third hand like Nintendo wanted, this wouldn't be a problem!

But seriously, I'm playing Planet Robobobobobobobo (etc) bot right now and I'm noticing that you're STILL locked into A for jump and B for attack. A for jump and X for attack would have made a lot more sense, but sure, whatever you say Nintendo! Don't even give me the option to change the key configuration, because you know best! Ugh.
That's because it's on a handheld and they think that B and A are angled the same way they were as if they were on an iteration of the Game Boy or the NES controller, but unfortunately for everyone, they're not, so they won't change it to the much more sensible Y attacks and B jumps buttons (this was also the issue with playing GBA games on a DS. Yeah, they're the "right buttons", but the diamond face button layout makes their B and A the least comfortable way to play)

Nintendo never gave a shit about anyone when it came to controls and controllers. N64 and Gamecube were proof of that, so I dunno why anyone is surprised at their fuckery...
Old 01-11-2019, 06:45 AM

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I was enjoying Assassin's Creed for a while, but the more I play it the more obvious the bad controls and camera become. At this point I'm playing it through because A) I want to finish it before I play the reportedly much better sequel and B) I quit on so many games last year I don't want to start that habit early this year.
My counterpoint: Life is too short to play games that you've stopped enjoying.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:16 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Nintendo never gave a shit about anyone when it came to controls and controllers. N64 and Gamecube were proof of that, so I dunno why anyone is surprised at their fuckery...
But… Gamecube just has one big button!

(Seriously though, it’s the most comfortable controller ever.)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
My counterpoint: Life is too short to play games that you've stopped enjoying.
The thing is, there's just enough interesting to make me keep wading through the frustration. Plus I heard it's on the short side if you don't try and hit everything.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Also I just realized that fucking scribblekid cartoon has biased me towards giving this game more than its due 11 years later.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

And now I've learned that the control issues don't really go away as the series progresses, at least until the most recent installment.

I really wanted to like this series and play through it, but I don't think I can do these horribly implemented contextual controls over and over.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I just skipped ahead to the pirate one and the Egypt one.* I don't regret this decision.

* I have not yet touched the stabby portion of the Egypt one. Because it has a game mode where I can explore without killing anybody or anything and maybe learn something in the process. I wish Ubi would retroactively add this mode to previous games like the pirate one and the Italian one.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

They've never really "fixed" the controls but you might get better at understanding how to avoid their worst parts.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games , whambulance