The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Also put ranged mechs somewhere near the rear where they can move across an entire row or column, for full field coverage.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

That all sounds good.

Am I correct on this priority list (excepting special objectives): Prevent power grid damage, block enemy spawns, kill enemies?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Pronouns: He/Him

Blocking enemy spawns is kind of a balancing act. If you're too good at it early on, then you might have one real bad turn later when they all come at once, so ideally you want to pace yourself. Blocking one to two spawns per turn is a good goal, but generally I'd prioritize killing what's already on the field over stopping what's coming next. (That said, of course block as much as you want/can just before the mission ends.)

And while preventing grid damage is usually high priority, it's a resource to be spent once you get it at max, since typically you don't want to push it over max with rewards (the game does reward you in this case, but IMO it's better to get the benefit of the point versus the % save increase).
Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Oh, I didn't realize blocking spawns one turn could affect spawns on a later one.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Of course, blocking a spawn means there’s fewer enemies on the field to give experience points.

I always prioritize killing/redirecting the immediate threat of enemies already on the field over blocking spawns, if forced to choose.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Oh, I didn't realize blocking spawns one turn could affect spawns on a later one.
A blocked spawn just sticks around until the next turn and tries to emerge again then.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Outraged!

Finagling things such that an enemy dies while blocking a spawn is also better than sex.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Gana air-dropping next to 1HP units is better than sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Finagling things such that an enemy dies while blocking a spawn is also better than sex.
guys

guys it's just a video game

do you two have something you want to tell us

it's ok, we won't judge
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
guys

guys it's just a video game

do you two have something you want to tell us

it's ok, we won't judge
What Jbear and I do on a field full of Vek is our own damn business.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Love can bloom on the battlefield
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Slammaster

Old 01-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Fifth Business

I just found out that the WarioWare series has its origins as just a weird side-feature from an obscure and low-selling 64DD 'make your own polygonal art' game, and I am VERY ASTONISHED.

Also, respect for whoever had the insight to dust this game-concept off and make it into a full thing all its own.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

This is amazing.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Chief Servbot

I thought this was common gamer knowledge at this point, but it's still pretty cool
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
That all sounds good.

Am I correct on this priority list (excepting special objectives): Prevent power grid damage, block enemy spawns, kill enemies?
I generally second what JBear said, although I'm a bit more of a zealot about preventing power grid damage; generally, I'll do anything necessary to avoid grid damage short of losing a mech. With the caveat that I haven't played the game recently, so things may have changed since the last time I've played, the order of my priorities is to prevent grid damage and kill enemies. Blocking enemy spawns is something I tend to do opportunistically while preventing damage or killing enemies, and ideally when I can do it without one of my mechs taking damage. If I can push an enemy onto a spawn point, I'll do it. Also, if one of my mechs has a consistent way to mitigate damage, such as having a regenerating shield or being able to freeze itself, I'll try to use them to block a spawn point if they're not needed elsewhere to block an enemy shot.

I find it's also useful to figure out which enemies pose the biggest problem for your particular team, and focus on killing them first. Webbers are usually a high priority for me, unless I have equipment that lets me avoid the mobility loss. If I don't have a way to knock enemies directly away from a city, I try to kill the melee enemies that can target multiple squares, since it can otherwise take multiple mechs to knock them away from a city they're attacking. If the map has lots of clear firing lanes, ranged enemies become more of a priority. My general rule of thumb is that if I typically have to use more than one mech to keep a particular enemy type from damaging a city once it's in position to attack, I'll try to damage it whenever I have a safe opportunity to do so.

Also, now that I'm thinking about this game again, I'm going to install it on my new(ish) computer. Thanks for destroying my free time, everyone!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:14 PM
earthquake ace

[whoops]
Old 01-13-2019, 07:20 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
i don't wanna dig up our emulation thread, but

so where do people go to find nintendo roms nowadays since emuparadise got hit
I'm pretty sure this is exactly the one line our rules don't allow anyone to cross in terms of emulation discussions. I say this only to avoid someone else getting in trouble.

A place that doesn't have any rules about this is, for example, reddit. They are still . . . not hard to find.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM
earthquake ace

oh, okay, that's fair

sorry
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 PM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I'm pretty sure this is exactly the one line our rules don't allow anyone to cross in terms of emulation discussions. I say this only to avoid someone else getting in trouble.
I know that this is always how things have worked around here, but if this is actually a rule, then it should be explicitly stated as such in the code of conduct. We didn't have a code of conduct back in the day, but now we do!

Frankly, I think we're all adults around here (yes, even turtle) who have properly considered the ethics of our purchasing habits and appreciate the necessity of supporting creators, and it seems very silly to me to have a seedy underbelly of PMs and backroom discussions. It's not as if TT will suddenly become a home to hot discussion of TheWarez.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I know that this is always how things have worked around here, but if this is actually a rule, then it should be explicitly stated as such in the code of conduct. We didn't have a code of conduct back in the day, but now we do!

Frankly, I think we're all adults around here (yes, even turtle) who have properly considered the ethics of our purchasing habits and appreciate the necessity of supporting creators, and it seems very silly to me to have a seedy underbelly of PMs and backroom discussions. It's not as if TT will suddenly become a home to hot discussion of TheWarez.
Parish was always explicit about it back in the day, so I guess I assumed it was still a rule. I would suggest bringing it to the mods if you would like it to be more explicit one way or the other.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
I vaguely remember some concern for Parish specifically, that if he hosted a forum that discussed this it could come back to him.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 AM

Pronouns: he

Just put your best adblocker on and google it I say.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM
hang high, soft star

It's entirely about plausible deniability, and every place that talks about this kind of thing has this policy.

And estragon is entirely right, reddit has got you more than covered here.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Alright, so if that's going to be the policy, then... let's make it the policy? We have an explicitly stated set of rules and it's not there. Either it's a rule or it's not. If it's a rule, then let's spell it out. If it's not, then it's not. I don't like that someone (say, for instance, a terrapin) can be called out for doing nothing wrong because they're in violation of an unstated rule. Proper forum conduct shouldn't require trial and error.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I would suggest bringing it to the mods if you would like it to be more explicit one way or the other.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:52 PM
:O

Quote:
Alright, so if that's going to be the policy, then... let's make it the policy? We have an explicitly stated set of rules and it's not there. Either it's a rule or it's not. If it's a rule, then let's spell it out. If it's not, then it's not. I don't like that someone (say, for instance, a terrapin) can be called out for doing nothing wrong because they're in violation of an unstated rule. Proper forum conduct shouldn't require trial and error.
This seems reasonable to me at least.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Too slow, JBear/Nodal.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Been messing around with Crazy Taxi Classic on my phone. Here's my impressions of it.

The Cons
  • Framerate issues, even on a good phone like mine
  • Sound does not want to work
  • Music usually has to be turned off then back on to actually frickin' work
  • Basically this is a buggy port in general

The Pros
  • Has the original Offspring and Bad Religion soundtrack (THIS IS A BIG PRO)
  • Is portable
  • You can play for free and it's only $2 if you want to banish the (mostly non-intrusive) mobile ads straight to hell.

Really, I wish that Sega would just make a proper new damn Crazy Taxi game* for consoles already; game tech has advanced a wee bit in nigh 20 years (and I hear people are really into sandbox games Sega, hint-hint).

But still, being able to play the original game on my phone does scratch an itch that having Franklin do his best B.D. Joe cosplay while taxiing around Los Santos with Way Down The Line playing on Spotify doesn't quite accomplish. For one thing, I can ram into vehicles and drive through crowds of people without wrecking my ride or having an army of angry cops shooting my ass.

I just wish the port was less buggy, is all.

* There are technically new Crazy Taxi brand games on mobile, it's just that they're an endless runner-ish game and a cab company sim. Boo!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I thought this was common gamer knowledge at this point, but it's still pretty cool
No gamer knowledge is that common.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Sega CD version is better

I didn't know this myself, though Warioware did always make callbacks to Mario Paint, so it's not surprising.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , sega bass fishing , snippets , thread shortage