The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Finding the Hidden Switch - Let's Curate the eShop!

Hey, remember when the Switch eShop was new and exciting and had only a few titles to browse through? Yeah, I don't either. The Switch is incredibly popular, which means that everyone and their grandmother is porting their game to it, which is super great, but that also means that it's now impossible to find anything! In many ways, the eShop is quickly becoming Steam 2.0.

So let's try and push back against that tide and provide a space for people to highlight hidden gems that might be getting lost in the shuffle! Find a cool game that no one else is talking about? Tell us about it!

Now, that said, what this thread is not for is telling us about games that everyone already knows. Love Shovel Knight? Me too! That game is rad! But maybe celebrate that fact in a different thread? I don't just want indie darlings here, I want unloved indie darlings. If a game is likely to appear when I search for indie games in the shop, then it's probably doing A-OK! I picture this thread as a space to tell folks about games that need some love, that you think are super rad and that not enough folks know about! If you've seen the game come up in conversation anywhere other than Octo's release threads, then chances are good that folks already know about it!

I'll get started with a few that I think could use a bit of TLC.

Hand of Fate 2 is a sequel to one of my favourite games of 2015, which was a game that not a lot of folks played, and I think that even fewer checked out the sequel, and that's a dang shame. It's a choose your own adventure deck-building card game where you move your little token around a map made of cards as a DM dictates what happens to you and gives you choices. Many of those choices will lead to combat encounters, which resolve with a simplified version of the combat system from Arkham Asylum. It's a unique little combination of genres that I think is a lot of fun! Maybe you will too!

Gal Metal is an entirely motion-controlled drumming game. Wait, come back! I'm sure that immediately disqualifies it for a lot of you, and I'd love to tell you that this one gets it right and that you won't have to deal with motion control jank, but... I can't. But it's still a fun, goofy rhythm game that reminds me a lot of games like Parappa, with a bonkers narrative about octopus aliens and body-switching.

The Count Lucanor is a spoop-em-up where you solve puzzles in a scary castle while being pursued by spooks. It's pretty short, but oozes style, and... other fluids.

Speaking of slight and stylish, check out Kamiko! It's a fun little arcade action game. You can blow through this Japanese indie game in a couple of hours if you're determined, but it's a fun couple of hours, and the game is < $5! You can probably pay for it entirely with Gold points right now!

But that's enough out of me! What Switch eShop games have you found hiding under a rock?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I mean, they get plenty of praise but I'm still going to remind everyone

Overcooked

and

Overcooked 2

Are the best reasons to use a tiny joy-con and to own a second pair of them.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Mad Overlord

I feel like pretty much everything I've played got at least a decent amount of buzz among indie circles, but there are a few that might have slipped under somebody's radar. I'll skip the 2D platformers, since this board is quite well attuned to those already.
  • West of Loathing: A light RPG noteworthy for its very funny writing.
  • Overcooked: 4-player co-op about trying to cook meals to order in increasingly ridiculous kitchen environments.
  • Broforce: 4-player co-op 2D run-and-gun.
  • Victor Vran: Action-RPG in the Diablo style, but with a bit more humor, and a bit more focus on the action side of things with jumping and dodge rolls. Also noteworthy for its Motorhead expansion. I'm only a casual fan of the band, but it's pretty much perfect skeleton-bashing music.
  • Neon Chrome: A twin-stick-shooter roguelite, with an interesting set of weapons and upgrades to experiment with.
  • Jydge: The alternate-universe twin of Neon Chrome, taking the same assets and building a series of tightly designed hand-crafted levels around them.
  • Bleed 2: Frenetic 2D action/platform/shooter.
  • Severed: Surrealistic dungeon exploration with a combat system based around touch-screen slashes.
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer: Rhythm-based roguelike.
  • Has-Been Heroes: Roguelike lane-based tactics puzzles with a strange system based around shuffling your heroes around to deal exactly the right amount of damage to targets.
  • Steamworld Heist: Side-scrolling tactical RPG.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:08 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I had a good time with The Sexy Brutale, though it starts stronger than it ends. A story-heavy stealth puzzler where you sneak around an opulent mansion over the course of a single repeating evening, trying to find the exact adventure game logic that will stop all the guests from being murdered without being detected. Hide out in cabinets learning the characters' movements and overhearing clues, and gain a new ability for each one you save. A bouncy electro-swing soundtrack.

Last edited by Bongo; 12-19-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Please don't skip the platformers~!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I love this thread, at least partially because it eases my burdens. I'm only going to mention a few games, however, out of fear that I will shatter browsers with all the youtube links.

Aegis Defenders looks like a sidescrolling shooter, in the Metal Slug or Contra vein, but with a heavier-than-average focus on co-op gameplay, as levels are also puzzle-heavy affairs and you need to juggle each characters unique abilities to manuever through them. Also, instead of tense battles against sprawling alien monsters, the end of each stage is a side-scrolling Tower Defense battle where you plant traps and weapons to drive off monster hoards.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a pretty dang hefty reimaginating of the Choose Your Own Adventure Gamebook by Peter Jackson (not the director) and Ian Livingston. It's about as close as anything I've ever seen at recapturing the magic of Crimson Shroud. Explore the volcanic wizard-fortress of Firetop Mountain on a quest to steal fabulous treasure and kill the hell out of the local evil wizard who's making a nuisance of himself. The switch version also has a bonus villainous path where you play as a lowly goblin in the warlocks employ.

Alwas Awakening is an NES style Metroidvania. Like, a debilitatingly NES-style Metroidvania. Few concessions to modern gameplay are even present. Explore the dungeons in and around the cursed land of Alwas, tracking down and slaying the four Guardians who have turned against it. You are, in fact, kind of ill equipped for this task, as most of your unlocked abilities are defensive in nature. Kind of feels like a cross between Ufouria and Castle Excellent.

Rock Boshers is another 8-bit throwback, feeling kind of like a combination of Chips Challenge and Robotron (though, as that trailer plainly shows, other games are also plainly featured) as Queen Victoria is kidnapped by martians and forced to toil in the mines of the red planet. Queen Vicky is vastly outmatched by the martians, so much of the game is based on figuring out how to manipulate the defenses of each base in such a way as to make fighting back against the enemies even viable.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Hey, a second shoutout to Kamiko. It's a perfectly cromulent use of your five bucks.

I'll also mention Xeodrifter which is a nice bite-sized metroid with a cool gun upgrade system. It's a 10 dollar game but I got it for five during a sale.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Please don't skip the platformers~!
Alright, if you insist. Platformers I've enjoyed on Switch:
  • Celeste
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
  • Hollow Knight
  • Blaster Master Zero
  • Axiom Verge
  • Steamworld Dig 2
Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Outraged!

The fact that the Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom thread isnít 20 pages of effusive praise makes me wonder what Talking Time even is anymore.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
[*]Crypt of the Necrodancer: Rhythm-based roguelike.
And specifically for you people: includes the ability to change the main character into Shiren the Wanderer
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
The fact that the Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom thread isnít 20 pages of effusive praise makes me wonder what Talking Time even is anymore.
Santa Law prevents me from making twenty pages worth of posts praising it.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I had a good time with The Sexy Brutale, though it starts stronger than it ends. A story-heavy stealth puzzler where you sneak around an opulent mansion over the course of a single repeating evening, trying to find the exact adventure game logic that will stop all the guests from being murdered without being detected. Hide out in cabinets learning the characters' movements and overhearing clues, and gain a new ability for each one you save. A bouncy electro-swing soundtrack.
I'll second this one. I played it to completion and had a grand ol' time, although I did find myself wishing that they'd do a bit more with the systems at the end. I liked the actual narrative content of the ending, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I'll also mention Xeodrifter which is a nice bite-sized metroid with a cool gun upgrade system. It's a 10 dollar game but I got it for five during a sale.
And I'll also second this one! Another cute bite-size game that's a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Aegis Defenders
This one looks rad! I bet Johnny and I could have a lot of fun with it. Imma wishlist it when I get home.

Quote:
Alwas Awakening
Your YT embed for this one is busted, Octo. You need to strip out the time-stamp.

I definitely see the Uforia comparisons!

Quote:
Rock Boshers
Man, I would never have given a game with that name a second glance, but this looks awesome! "Young Queen Victoria has been imprisoned on Mars and must escape." She steals a scone. I'm here for this. And I love the ZX Spectrum (I think? I get my European microcomputers mixed up sometimes) homage graphics in parts of that.

Dang Octo, this thread would have been worth it for that post alone. Those are some real obscure gems!

Last edited by JBear; 12-19-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Funko Superfan

Pool Panic

It's pool but you can move the ball around. It's also Dark Souls because it doesn't explain the rules. You got over a 100 levels where the goal is to sink the 8-ball, and you play a cue ball. And you can walk around to line up your shots. And each level has a different gimmick. It's a lot of fun, very creative, and Dark Souls.

Immortal Redneck

You play a mummy with a shotgun in rogue-em-up pyramids. I don't know what else I could say that would sell it better.

Shephy

A single-player card game where you need to breed high value sheep and not lose them to natural disasters like meteor strikes. Surprisingly emotional!

Poi

A surprisingly competent Mario 64-like. Explore themed islands to find stars medals. Your hub is an airship with a whale balloon. You can wear hats. Just very pleasant.

Just Shapes & Beats

That's all it is. Very intense. Great story mode.

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption

It's Dark Souls but there's only seven bosses. You can tackle them in whatever order you wish, but each one you beat removes one of your verbs like "roll" or "heal." For people who like challenge runs and control over their difficulty.

Furi

Another boss rush game. More bullet-helly. Stylistic As Heck. Very technical.

Dandara

Metrovan where your dude controls gravity to move around. Also your dude is a lady POC. SJW trash boo diversity.

Super Daryl Deluxe

High School beat em up alike. Very weird and dark. Reminded me of Homestuck of all things. The guy looks like Neoploen Dynamite but it's nothing like that movie at all, so if that movie puts you off don't worry octo

Subsurface Circular

Robot mystery interactive fiction where you play a robot detective in robot land.

The Darkside Detective

Six bite sized point and click adventures where you play a ghost detective in regular land. Also you're not a ghost, just a detective who detects them.

Mice and Sand

MICE.

AND.

SAND.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Poi... You can wear hats.
Burying the lead here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Dandara
Seconding this one. Played it on Doc's Switch when I was in Denver for an hour or two and really dug it. The movement is super awkward at first but once you get good at it you feel like a wizard and it's incredibly satisfying to just traverse the spaces.

Quote:
Subsurface Circular
! This one looks super familiar! I think I got excited about it once and then it just completely fell off my radar!

Quote:
Mice and Sand
Also seconding this one. I finished it on DS and it was just relentlessly charming.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post

Gal Metal is an entirely motion-controlled drumming game. Wait, come back! I'm sure that immediately disqualifies it for a lot of you, and I'd love to tell you that this one gets it right and that you won't have to deal with motion control jank, but... I can't. But it's still a fun, goofy rhythm game that reminds me a lot of games like Parappa, with a bonkers narrative about octopus aliens and body-switching.
I think Gal Metal does have button and touch-screen options, from what I've been told. I do want to eventually pick it up, though. I think it sounds really neat.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Sega CD version is better

I think A Robot Named Fight deserves to be on here, despite plenty of us praising it elsewhere on the forum. A rogue-lite that plays like Super Metroid and does it procedural level generation real well.

Also, less a hidden gem that needs love and more a game done dirty, but the Switch version of Pinball Arcade is great, if you managed to download it and purchase the Williams/Bally tables you wanted like the one day they were available before the game was pulled from the eShop due to Pinball FX poaching the licenses to those.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Tell me about your mother

Fast RMX is a nice holdover until a meatier Wipeout/Extreme G/F-Zero-style game appears on the system. With that said, it's *pretty meaty*, with 30 tracks and 15 vehicles.

Mulaka is a slick-looking Zeld-em-up.

Likewise, I'm also digging the vibe of Save me Mr. Tako!

Last edited by Doctor Nerd; 12-19-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Phantastic Oil

I am down for Gameboy Squid times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I think A Robot Named Fight deserves to be on here, despite plenty of us praising it elsewhere on the forum.
I mean, "deserves" is a weird turn of phrase. We're not handing out awards here! In fact, anything that won awards probably doesn't need the help. I heard that ARNF is really neat! That game also has it's own thread, though! Like, I think it's unlikely to get any eyes on it here that it wouldn't have already? I mean, I'm not gonna police this thread, so you do you (and lots of other folks have already chosen to highlight things even higher profile than that), but personally I'm here for the cool stuff that I've never heard of, and as it turns out there's quite a lot of that! My personal wish list has already grown by several entries thanks to this thread.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 PM

A friend of mine has urged me to try out Wizard of Legend. Aside from sounding generic as all heck, it looks really dope, and apparently is!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Outraged!

Man I thought I was pretty up on everything that looked cool but apparently not.

Excellent thread idea, jborgles.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

FWIW I made a very short Dandara thread a while back, for anyone intrigued and wanting more impressions.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:53 PM
I have a Plan

Immortal Redneck is also very much like Ziggurat, which is sadly not on the Switch but pretty good.

If you have no context for either: it's like Doom, but a roguelike, but not DoomRL.

Last edited by Kalir; 12-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Yono and the Celestial Elephants is adorable and while I lost interest in it after a while (it's a rather bland action RPG), I think it was worth buying just to run around as a cute elephant for a while.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Tesla vs. Lovecraft is a great follow-up to Crimsonland (also on switch) if you're into that brand of two-stick-shootin' and can get past the dumb premise. Great for bite-sized portable play.

Into the Breach is a great game, everyone knows this, but it's pretty much perfect on Switch.

Golf Story is just a delight. The sequel to the Game Boy Color Mario Golf game I've always been waiting for.

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King probably won't blow your mind or anything, but it's a pretty fun game and great if you've got a Zelda itch that needs scratched.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm just going to link these because this thread is already approaching Browser-Killing strength;

Elliot Quest is an action RPG that wears its love for Zelda 2 on its sleeve. You're Elliot, a guy in a vaguely Greco-Roman fantasy land cursed with immortality by the god of evil, Satar trying to break the curse and finally die by destroying the elemental guardians holding Satars power in check so you can kill him yourself. Besides progressing in the same Overhead Overworld, Side-scrolling Dungeon Crawl as Zelda 2, the game also has an NES style obliqueness that few games manage to recapture. I've played through it multiple times, despite its crushing difficulty.

Ittle Dew 2 is ALSO a plainly Zelda-inspired game that loves to keep things wide open for you and which I've replayed many times (right in the middle of a third run, in fact). It's just MUCH less melancholy about things. Ittle is a transparently Link-inspired aventurer who winds up crashing her raft on an island full of dungeons and treasures, and an island caretaker who just wants her to leave because adventuring heroes always wind up wrecking his dungeons trying to find treasure and don't bother cleaning up after themselves. Besides the games sense of humor and aesthetics, the real draw is how absurdly open-ended the game is; any dungeon can be beaten with any combination of treasures and the entire world map is available right from the jump; upgrades just let you circumvent puzzles or make combat easier. If it weren't for Breath of the Wild, it would be the best Zelda game on the Switch.

Cosmic Star Heroine is another clear homage, this time to both Chrono Trigger for gameplay, and Phantasy Star for aesthetics. You're a member of a futuristic spy agency who gets embroiled in an interplanetary conspiracy. As with most Zeboyd games, it's got a surprising array of innovations to the JRPG fomula. Unlike most Zeboyd games, the script is pretty solid and there's a minimum of reference humor.

Megaton Rainfall started off as a PSVR exclusive, but it also wound up appearing on Switch, without the Silly Videogame Hat requirement. It's also the closest thing there is ever going to be of a video game based on the Tom Scioli comic G0dland. You're a human suddenly embued with vast, VAST cosmic power from an unknown source, given no time to get a handle on your abilities and instructed to defend the earth from invaders. Like the (unfairly maligned) Superman Returns game, you are totally invulnerable, but the planet is not. Which is also a pretty huge problem considering both how overwhelmingly powerful you are and how little control over yourself you have; much of the game is spent travelling around the globe tracking down invaders and trying to destroy them while minimizing collateral damage to the city.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Immortal Redneck is also very much like Ziggurat, which is also on the Switch and pretty good.

If you have no context for either: it's like Doom, but a roguelike, but not DoomRL.
This post made me very excited, but Ziggurat is, not, in fact, on Switch.

If you search for Ziggurat, then Immortal Redneck shows up, however.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

The thread's still on its first page and this is already an overwhelming number of games, most of which sound rad as heck.

I want to play all the games!!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:13 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Excellent thread idea, jborgles.
I disagree, this thread is awful. I don't even have time for the games that I already own, and the short list of games I want to buy. Why would you all do this to me?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Mad Overlord

Quite a few of these just went on sale in the eShop Christmas sale.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?vers...&sort=discount
Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Funko Superfan

Tags
chuckled obama , eshop , gems , indie , secret best , switch