The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Estimated delivery: Jan 4 – Aug 26
Wow, that was way off, this came in the mail today lol. I'm going to buy some CD-Rs after work and will probably start with the Japanese version of Symphony, followed by Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga, neither of which I've ever played. Looking forward to it...!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

I may have to redownload/reburn PDS, since it doesn't seem to load when I skip the intro cutscenes, but otherwise this device rules.

Here's a list of games I dabbled in tonight that I've never played before:

-Burning Rangers
-Radiant Silvergun
-Soukyu Gurentai
-Magic Knight Rayearth
-Sonic Jam
-Panzer Dragoon Saga (well, saw the title screen and some of the intro movie)

I suck really bad at the shmups!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

There's an eBay coupon for 15% today so now would be a good time for anyone interested to pick up a Psuedo Saturn and save a few bucks.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 AM
Back to the Bear

Regrettably, I couldn't get in on this deal... I'm tapped out until the end of the month, although that's thankfully very close. I do want a Pseudo Saturn pretty badly... my Saturn isn't going to get much use without one.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Back to the Bear

Well, this was unexpected.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4143/

There's an English translation for the Sega Saturn game Linkle Liver Story, an action-adventure game not far removed from The Legend of Zelda or the previously mentioned Shining Wisdom. I can't vouch for the quality of this game, but I'm nevertheless eager to play it once my Action Replay arrives.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Slammaster

Professor Abrassive has laid out what the Satiator does and does not do. I'm honestly stoked that this means I can play the few games that require ROM carts (by which I mean King of Fighters '95, because I don't honestly care about Ultraman).
Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Answers come in dreams

Necronomicon Pinball is under rated and is Japan only but is English speaker friendly. One of the top video game pinball games, IMO.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Professor Abrassive has laid out what the Satiator does and does not do. I'm honestly stoked that this means I can play the few games that require ROM carts (by which I mean King of Fighters '95, because I don't honestly care about Ultraman).
I'm very much hoping the pricing is reasonable on this. As in under $150. I'd probably have bought an SSD3 for the PC Engine if it didn't cost as much as it does. I don't technically need it, since I have a modded Saturn, but being able to launch games without disc-swapping would be awesome, not to mention no more burning CD-Rs unless I just decided I wanted to.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Slammaster

I worry using CD-Rs will burn out the laser, but I also never upgraded my Action Replay to Pseudosaturn. Plus, there's an ease-of-use thing with just opening a folder with all the games in it.

As for price, I'm hoping for around $100-$150, but I'd go up to $200 with little hesitation.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 PM

As long as the laser isn't having a hard time reading the disc, using a CD-R won't wear it out any faster than a real disc. The problem on PlayStation is that the lasers were super-sketchy for the most part, and would have difficulty reading the discs, leading to a lot of re-reads and wearing it out because of that. The Sega systems I have are much more robust, or at least have been; the Saturn and Sega CD will eat darn near anything I throw at it with no fuss. My Dreamcast is wearing out, though, I think mostly from lack of use; it won't read some really cheap discs I have, but still works fine with some higher-quality TY discs I have.

Still, using discs in general is going to wear out the laser, so... yep, a solid-state solution is much better for the future. And for a system like the Saturn, where emulation can still be a bit fickle, playing on real hardware, at least for me, is a must.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Back to the Bear

Just a heads up for anyone who may be interested. I just received my Action Replay cartridge in the mail, and it didn't take much effort to overwrite with Pseudo Saturn Kai. You do have to tape down the lid trigger inside the Saturn and do the swap trick first, but even on the second model with the round buttons, it's almost embarrassingly easy to do. Once you've got your Saturn running the Pseudo Saturn Kai software, pick "Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite," press ABC, then let the system do its thing for ten minutes without interruption. Blammo, now your system can run (most) burns without the hassle and possible long-term damage of swapping discs.

I've only tried one game so far with PSK so far, but I'm going to burn more in the near future; probably stuff like Waku Waku 7 and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter that requires the additional RAM of the Action Replay cart. I don't anticipate any issues.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Still, using discs in general is going to wear out the laser, so... yep, a solid-state solution is much better for the future. And for a system like the Saturn, where emulation can still be a bit fickle, playing on real hardware, at least for me, is a must.
Yep. Plus, as previously mentioned, the novelty of finally playing KoF '95 is a boon.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Back to the Bear

Unfortunately, Pseudo Saturn Kai isn't airtight. A not-insignificant number of Saturn games won't work with it. Yes, some Saturn games won't work on the Saturn using Pseudo Saturn. It's as confusing as it is disappointing.

More games work than don't, though, and that includes the English translation of Linkle Liver Story! (I HATE that name, by the way.) It's by the makers of Crusader of Centy and feels the part, albeit with some 32-bit improvements that feel kind of quaint by 2019 standards. Your character scales a little bit when she jumps! Polygonal trees make up the otherwise hand-drawn 2D forests! The world map is just that... a map stretched over a chunky round planet! And so on.

What's nice about the game that WASN'T nice about Shining Wisdom is that the control is intuitive... you pick up on this stuff right away, before the Sphinx cat- looking chief teaches you the basics. C jumps, tapping C twice makes you dash (infinitely, without repeated tapping), and B attacks. Pressing B while running makes your character do somersaults, which are presumably harmful to enemies. I say "presumably" because you'll play for at least a half hour before enemies enter the picture, and I never tried using the somersault on them. Items improve your abilities, and you also get a sidekick named Pichamiku who can be charged up and released.

I haven't played much of it yet, but I like what I've seen so far. The English translation is solid, too... fun enough to draw your attention without leaning on pop culture references for humor. I'm not convinced it's as terrific as GameFan suggested in its gushing coverage, but it's nevertheless a pretty charming Zeld-a-like. I'm having more fun with this than either Shining Wisdom or Dark Savior, that's for sure.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 PM

GameFan gushed about a lot of games, though. But man, they sure did know how to make stuff look cool. I loved how packed with images those mags were.

I knew there was a compatibility list for Pseudo Saturn, although I thought they had improved some of the games over time. Not sure how much is still actively being done, though; I haven't kept track in a while.

More interesting was trying to track down a replacement modboard for my Saturn. My old one decided to go belly-up for whatever reason, and I had to replace it with one of those universal ones which doesn't look nearly as nice... but it really doesn't matter since you never see it anyway. What's really funny is that the board crapped out on the same night as my 3DO's audio bombed out, right before a work trip for a presentation. Fun! I still need to fix that 3DO...
Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Back to the Bear

Quote:
GameFan gushed about a lot of games, though. But man, they sure did know how to make stuff look cool. I loved how packed with images those mags were.
Like Playboy, nobody would believe you if you said you bought it for the articles.

There used to be a mod chip for the Saturn that was easy to install, but since it only worked with the second model of the system, the mod chip designers came up with the Phantom instead. That works with both model one and model two Saturns, but it costs more, and you've got to solder it to a power source and bridge two traces on the chip itself depending on whether you've got a JVC or a Sanyo drive. I wish the old chip designs were still an option, but the system is so friggin' old at this point that I guess I should be thankful there are any chips at all.

I am most definitely not doing what Voultar did, replacing chips directly on the Saturn motherboard. I don't have the proper tools for it, nor do I have the confidence. He showed an image of a Saturn mainboard with the traces under the chip torn off thanks to some strategically placed epoxy along with some less strategically planned removal techniques. That was a big nope for me. It took me four years to get my hands on a Saturn again... no way I'm gonna take a chance on that!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Yeah, the old one I had was a small board that plugged into the ribbon cable slot. I think some updated ones didn't need the "blue wire", but at the time the one I had was a two-wire operation. One went to power, and the blue wire went to a fairly tight-pitched pin on one of the chips. Probably not the best thing for me to solder for the first time, but it worked, so I'm not complaining!

The new chip I have sounds like exactly what you described. It works on any system, but you have to bridge a solder pad based on which type system you have and the pin-count on the ribbon cable. It wasn't too hard to install, though, and actually might have been safer in the long run since it didn't require soldering to any other chips.

I still want that Saturn Satiator, though! I'll probably use it with my unmodded Saturn that I've had for years. I couldn't resist picking it up when I found it for $20 years and years ago.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 PM
Absolutely The Worst

Quote:
This is super exciting! I really want the HUcard thing too, but PCEnginr is easy enough to emulate. This will be necessary for Saturn stuff.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

When I heard about the Linkle Liver Story translation a couple of days ago I got a copy off ebay and it arrived today. I've since patched it, and since I found getting information about how to do that very confusing I thought I'd share how.

I looked for information on how to take an image of the disc on redump.org, which is a game preservation site. That's a good thing to have, but their goals are different to mine: they want to make perfect archival copies of old games for posterity (they don't offer any of those copies, but instead have a guide to how to make your own from originals, and information to verify that your copy matches theirs), and my goal is to get a copy accurate enough that I can't tell the difference. For pure data CDs, it's pretty easy - you take a copy with whatever software you want (I used IsoBuster), and compare the md5 hash (a string of letters and numbers generated from the file using an algorithm designed to give very different results if applied to two files that are even slightly different) with their reference value. If it matches, you've got an exact copy of the data.

Mixed mode CDs are more difficult. "Mixed" means that they have both data tracks and audio tracks. The simplest way to rip them is the .bin/.cue method: this takes one big file (.bin) of all the data on the disc, and generates another file (.cue) which is a list of where in the .bin file each track starts, as well as what sort of track it is (audio or data, and which data mode). Redump don't use this method, which seems like a pain because it means they don't have md5s for the full-disc .bin files so you can't check if your copy is accurate. Instead, they rip the data track and each audio track to separate files and have a .cue file that points to each of those files, and provide md5s for each file. This is actually a blessing in disguise, because it turns out getting perfect audio rips is really hard. Redump provide a program that will do the whole thing for you, but you have to have the right model of disc drive (which you probably don't). You can do it with another method, but it's complicated and the thing is, it doesn't matter. The inaccuracy effects a tiny fraction of a second at either the start or the end of the track. If you're going for preservation, sure, it's important. If it's for personal use, who cares? Not me.

So, here's what I did: I put the disc in my drive, then in IsoBuster select the drive, which brings up the CD contents in the left window in the program. I right-click on the root of that ("CD"), then select "Extract CD <image>" -> "RAW (*.iso)". Choose a file name, and let it do its thing. This creates the .bin/.cue image (IsoBuster calls the file a .iso, but I think the only difference (in this specific situation) between that and a .bin is the file extension). The translation patch is supposed to be applied to an image that matches the redump.org hash, which this image won't. So, I open the .cue file I just created, which loads the .iso just created as an image mimicking the CD, then right click Track 1 and select "Extract From-To", which lets you specify which sectors of the disc to create an image from. The redump page lists the size of their image in sectors, so copy that value to the box marked "Size (blocks)" (it'll be 150 fewer than the default) and make sure "raw data" is selected at the bottom. That will make a copy of just the data track, the md5 of which (search "md5 calculator" if you don't have anything to make one) should match the redump one. If so, you can patch that using the program listed in the translation patch readme.

I think that getting an accurate data track copy from the full disc copy means that the latter is also suitable for the patch. I've tried it and it seems to have worked. The advantage of having the full copy is that you can burn to disc using the .cue file and you'll have the audio tracks too. Or, if you're using an emulator, you can load the .cue file to get the audio tracks (or, for SSF, mount it as a virtual drive, although the only mounting program I've found that seems to work with SSF doesn't take .cue files, only .iso, which even if it contains the audio tracks won't be able to use them because it doesn't know where they are without the .cue).

So yeah... my attempt to simplify the process didn't work. Ultimately, rip the disc with whatever and patch what you get and it'll probably work.

Before:

After:

Note that in the left side image the english text is kind of blurry. This is from the intro movie, and it looks like the patch edits the movie file. A big black bar sits over where the Japanese text was and the English text sits on top. It looks kind of bad, but actually seems like a pretty impressive hack (to me at least).
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM
..and his little cat, too

When I finally get a Saturn, I was thinking of getting this:

But this other Satiatir thing on Kickstarter sounds like it might be better/easier to use?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Slammaster

Satiatior will just drop into the VCD expansion in the back, you don't have to open the system. Also, while I respect what dude has done for the Saturn and Dreamcast, his ordering procedure for Rhea, Phoebe and DCEmu is fucking obnoxious, as he only opens orders periodically for brief windows.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM

@Yimothy: Yeah, there's a ton of hoop-jumping to get "proper" rips. Thankfully, though, the PPF patching format is more robust than that of IPS, so in general, the patching process will go pretty smoothly. It's just getting Saturn dumps to work correctly in emulators that seems to be the more difficult thing; I fought with a couple of different dumps, some that seemed to work fine with SSF, and some that didn't. However, the one that didn't work with SSF (and was correct according to the redump.org information) did boot properly on my modded Saturn. It's all kind of arcane, to be honest!

@ShakeWell: I really wish the Rhea/Phoebe guy would get some help on the manufacturing side. I think he'd sell a lot more if his ordering procedure and inability to get batches out weren't such a mess. I suspect demand is going to fall quite a bit once the Satiator releases, though.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:01 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Satiatior will just drop into the VCD expansion in the back, you don't have to open the system. Also, while I respect what dude has done for the Saturn and Dreamcast, his ordering procedure for Rhea, Phoebe and DCEmu is fucking obnoxious, as he only opens orders periodically for brief windows.
Guess that settles that.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
@ShakeWell: I really wish the Rhea/Phoebe guy would get some help on the manufacturing side. I think he'd sell a lot more if his ordering procedure and inability to get batches out weren't such a mess. I suspect demand is going to fall quite a bit once the Satiator releases, though.
I'm not normally in favor of buying clone devices, but I'm just going to get an imposter DCEmu, because seriously, eff the ordering process to get a real one.

Tags
recommendations , saturn