The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I'm interested in picking up a Pseudo Saturn cart - which one should I buy (if there are even multiple versions?) - and does it let you play games from other regions? I have a US Saturn but it's not modded at all.
This is the one I recently purchased. (It looks like it goes in and out of stock. The listing wasn't available a few days ago but now i'ts back up.)

There are multiple versions of the cart. There are other versions that are a bit cheaper but the one in the above link offers the triple functionality of 1) 1MB ram extension, 2) 4MB ram extension, and 3) 8MB backup memory, and the mode is toggled by a physical switch on the cartridge. All versions have Kai Lite which enables playing of imports and backups.

Mine seems to be working quite well so far. I've used it to play a little bit of the English fan translation of Policenauts and a goodly amount of the Japanese version of Symphony of the Night. Both games seem to run fine off of burned CD-Rs.

No modding of the system was required. I just plugged the cartridge in, booted up the system with the disc in the drive, and after brief appearance of the modded Kai Lite menu it boots straight into the game.

I did try and burn Dragon Force and play it without success. But at the moment I'm willing to chalk that up as either a flawed rom or a bad CD-R rather than a fault with the Psuedo Saturn.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
This is the one I recently purchased. (It looks like it goes in and out of stock. The listing wasn't available a few days ago but now i'ts back up.)

There are multiple versions of the cart. There are other versions that are a bit cheaper but the one in the above link offers the triple functionality of 1) 1MB ram extension, 2) 4MB ram extension, and 3) 8MB backup memory, and the mode is toggled by a physical switch on the cartridge. All versions have Kai Lite which enables playing of imports and backups.

Mine seems to be working quite well so far. I've used it to play a little bit of the English fan translation of Policenauts and a goodly amount of the Japanese version of Symphony of the Night. Both games seem to run fine off of burned CD-Rs.

No modding of the system was required. I just plugged the cartridge in, booted up the system with the disc in the drive, and after brief appearance of the modded Kai Lite menu it boots straight into the game.

I did try and burn Dragon Force and play it without success. But at the moment I'm willing to chalk that up as either a flawed rom or a bad CD-R rather than a fault with the Psuedo Saturn.
Okay, bought one.

lol look:
Quote:
Estimated delivery: Jan 4 – Aug 26
Also I own Dragon Force, so no problem there. I'll be using this to play Japanese Saturn games, which I've played precisely zero of. I've heard there's a bunch of good ones!

I'll have to pick up some CD-Rs, which I haven't used in like a decade haha. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Quote:
Estimated delivery: Jan 4 – Aug 26
Ha, that's a pretty hilariously wide shipping window. Mine also indicated a wide shipping window, though not nearly so comically huge, but it arrived for me in less than two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I'll have to pick up some CD-Rs, which I haven't used in like a decade haha. Thank you!
I might have to buy some CD-Rs for the first time in ages, too. To that end if I'm going to have to find the blank media buying guide I used years ago. I found one for DVDs but I'm not sure if that overlaps with CD-Rs.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Brain Genius

Ooh, another good game is Legend of Oasis. It's kinda hard, but it's beautiful. Sequel to Beyond Oasis on the Genesis.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM

Legend of Oasis has been on my list to play through for a while. I don't know why I bounce off of it most times, because I loved Beyond Oasis.

There are folks that also swear by Magic Knight Rayearth if you want another game for your action-RPG fix.

Speaking about CD-Rs, I actually have a ton of them, mainly because I was trying to get a PC Engine Duo to play nicely with a brand. Turns out it hates certain types! What I settled on isn't perfect, but the best I've found so far (circa 2003 Sony discs), and I'm tired of spending money on them!

(Coincidentally, me getting all those discs coincided with me burning a ton of Dreamcast, Saturn, and Sega CD games. Funny, that.)

Last edited by Sarge; 12-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

There's also that Shining series spinoff -- I think it's Shining Wisdom (whereas Shining the Holy Ark is a game in the vein of the dungeon-crawler Shining in the Darkness)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I've played a little bit of Shining Wisdom. It seems cool from what little I played. The only puzling thing was that the characters are pre-rendered instead of being hand-drawn sprites and are kind of bland as a result.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Fifth Business

Astal
Play Astal
Astal rules
Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 AM

The dash mechanic in Shining Wisdom is also super weird.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
The dash mechanic in Shining Wisdom is also super weird.
As much as I like the Shining series, I didn't really like Wisdom. The dash mechanic is super weird, and the opening is glaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacially paced. The layout of the castle you work in at the beginning is weirdly convoluted and samey. The combat is kinda not great... I didn't get very far into it as a result. I wanted to get to Kazin and Sarah (or Parn* and whatever Sarah's name was changed to), but I couldn't be bothered.

*Kinda annoyed in retrospect that I didn't name my FFXIV character Kazin Parn, now. Oh well
Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

I gave Guardian Heroes a spin tonight. As it turns out I find the game to be pretty unremarkable. It's a side-scrolling beat-em-up but it suffers from too much talking (and I certainly don't need to be subjected to even more cheesy, boring, 90s anime nonsense) and combat mechanics that are, at best, merely on par with offerings from the SNES/Genesis era of offerings. I'd recommend sticking with Final Fight or Streets of Rage if you're looking for a retro beat-em-up action.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, the plot stuff in Guardian Heroes is pretty dumb. Basically, The Reason to play and stick with Guardian Heroes is to unlock and mess around with the absurd number of characters available for its mass beat 'em up mode.

Also Golden Silver from Gunstar Heroes guest stars as one of the possible final bosses, depending on which route you take.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 AM
Back to the Bear

I'll offer a tepid defense of Guardian Heroes. It's really the kind of game you needed to experience close to its release... in 1997, it was pretty amazing, cramming the screen with fighters and pyrotechnics. Twenty years later, what made the game impressive on the Saturn can be done with modern consoles and even handhelds with almost no effort, and what could be easily forgiven on the Saturn (the blocky graphics mainly) is much harder to ignore. The story progression that slowed the game to a crawl in 1997... well, that still sucks, of course.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Astal
Play Astal
Astal rules
This, ah, looks terribly dull?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Goodbye!

Funny enough, I just sold a bunch of my Saturn games on eBay for like, a lot of money.

I spent $50 about a decade back for a US copy of Magic Knight Rayearth.

I just sold it for $400.

I guess what I'm saying is... good luck!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Sega CD version is better

I saw Fighter’s Megamix for $20 at a local game store just last week, and at that price I was wondering if maybe I should have bought it even if I don’t actually own a Saturn.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Funny enough, I just sold a bunch of my Saturn games on eBay for like, a lot of money.
Depending on how this cart works out whenever it gets here, I may soon do the same to be honest. Though I don't think I have the multiple hundreds of dollars Saturn games. Dragon Force, the three Shining games, and Enemy Zero are I think my most valuable games (and Enemy Zero doesn't have the original case, though I do have the case art and manual, most of the discs are in sleeves).
Old 12-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Guardian Heroes is good. It's just not great. I beat it this year after having bounced off of it years ago.

Y'all folks should just donate me your Saturn games if you're getting rid of them.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I'll offer a tepid defense of Guardian Heroes. It's really the kind of game you needed to experience close to its release... in 1997, it was pretty amazing, cramming the screen with fighters and pyrotechnics. Twenty years later, what made the game impressive on the Saturn can be done with modern consoles and even handhelds with almost no effort, and what could be easily forgiven on the Saturn (the blocky graphics mainly) is much harder to ignore. The story progression that slowed the game to a crawl in 1997... well, that still sucks, of course.
I picked up the 360 remaster a few years ago; not the most impressive upscale, but it sure was nice to see the big monsters with higher resolution sprites than the blocky originals (which are also an option).

That said, Dragon's Crown and King of Dragons are available on modern consoles and Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons brawlers are on last gen consoles* and I'd rather play them. Having nigh every person and monster in the game beat each other up is a fun novelty for a little while, but this game ain't no Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure.**

* Still wish these would get ported to current gen consoles. And the 2D Marvel games Capcom made, since the few they had on 360 and PS3 vanished after the licensing deal was (temporarily) off. Like c'mon, even just MvC2 on current gen consoles would go a long way towards restoring some of the goodwill that was lost after Infinite fumbled the ball.

** For those who don't know this game was a Kirby-esque platformer with occasional 1v1 fighter bits that's basically a Cliff's Notes of the whole pre-Z Dragon Ball series, with a focus on the Red Ribbon Army arc in particular. After beating the game once, you could go back through stages and unlock almost every single enemy in the game, from random soldiers to killer robots to Yamcha.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
happy eelpiphany

Guardian Heroes is pretty good, as is sorta-spiritual-sequel Code of Princess. Its big thing is the multiplayer, though.

Astal's a pretty OK game but mainly goes out there for its stylishness. I'd say its closest analogue is probably The Misadventures of Flink.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM
..and his little cat, too

I don't own a Saturn, but I've heard good things about Sonic Jam on there. It's a compilation of the Genesis games, but has a sort of proto/pre-Sonic Adventure 3D hub world with bonus content.

Opinions on Sonic R vary, but it's got a great soundtrack and is definitely interesting.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM
¡Felid Navidad!

Quote:
Astal
Play Astal
Astal rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
This, ah, looks terribly dull?
I remember GameFan (or another magazine) recommending this game.
I bought it ... and was unimpressed.
I'd have to play it again to be sure since that was 15+ years ago.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Brain Genius

Astal's box doesn't have the game title on the spine, so it has always annoyed me
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Fifth Business

Shit, people throwing shade at Astal, I need to call in the rest of the Astal fan community to help defend it

They're on their way

Any second now

We are gonna raise so many good points about why it's fun and an impressive and worthwhile little piece of Sega history

Soon as they show up

There's just so many of them is the thing, is why they're not all here yet

All the Astal fans

They exist, and their taste is immaculate

Look, the cover artist for the Archie Sonic comic snuck Astal cameos in frequently in crowd shots, so I know in the very least I can count on him to show

I can always count on Patrick Spaziente
Old 12-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Slammaster

Oh, man. I forgot to mention that the Saturn version of Resident Evil is a weird curio. I mean, it's not the N64 version of RE2, but it's worth seeking out if you're an RE fan.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I read this thread title was "What are some must-have titties for the Saturn?" and that's it, that's all I have to contribute.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Slammaster

Gals Panic.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Shit, people throwing shade at Astal, I need to call in the rest of the Astal fan community to help defend it
I've never even touched a Saturn, but if you need someone to go to bat to defend an obscure old game with a neat aesthetic, you have my axe.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:52 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I read this thread title was "What are some must-have titties for the Saturn?" and that's it, that's all I have to contribute.
The forum doesn't display well at all on mobile, so I tend to zoom in to an arbitrary/random degree. Today, as I scrolled down to this thread after zooming, the title cut off at "tit".

So in that weird way, you are not alone.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM
happy eelpiphany

So y'all are familiar with the game Virtua Photo Studio then

Tags
recommendations , saturn