The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Oh man, the Twelve Kingdoms and Lodoss War guy! (Which is a lot more obvious in something like Bazoo there than the Dracula X one.) I love his stuff so much.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post

My absolute favorite piece of cover art ever. I hunted down a version without any of the branding, etc, and it's been my phone background for years.
It’s one of the two pieces of video game cover art I would ever want to hang on a wall in my home.

...well, I do have a framed poster of Sam & Max Hit the Road, ut that’s mianly because it’s Sam & Max, the video game tie in is purely coincidental.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his
Default #16 on my list of box arts - babes and bullets (and bytes)

While there are many media genres I enjoy, when it comes to hard-boiled and/or noir fiction I find that I tend to enjoy the trappings and motifs of those more than any actual specific instances of those types of stories. So you can understand why this next cover caught my (private) eye.

If you had a checklist for things that had to be included (AKA scène(s) à faire) in noir or hard-boiled fiction then this cover would check off quite a few of them:
  • A fedora and trench coat wearing detective
  • A femme fatale
  • A sinister, shadowy villain
  • A big city full of danger and intrigue
And then combines them all in an intriguing and arresting composition.

Beyond that there are two other interesting things I noticed about this cover:
  1. The detective is dressed in yellow instead of darker or more neutral covers - which I feel paints him in a more heroic and less morally ambiguous light (and also brings to mind Dick Tracy).
  2. The detective is leaning against a brick building while you see skyscrapers in the distance - which I feel implies that this is happening in the suburbs or slums. So basically this scene is happening far away from the big wigs who might ultimately be behind the whole thing.
I also like the use of the Droste effect (AKA mise en abyme) with the photograph in the detective's hand recursively showing the scene on the cover.

Facts:
Quote:
Déjà Vu is a 1985 point-and-click adventure video game for the Apple Macintosh that was developed by ICOM Simulations. In 1990 it was ported to the Famicom / NES and published by Kemco-Seika.

Wait... That sounds really familiar. (Shadowgate and Déjà Vu were both part of a series of adventure games known as the MacVenture games.)
Trivia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wikipedia article
The original game boxes and the in-game logo write the title as Deja Vu (without accent marks). However, the text on the back of the box spells the title in the correct manner, as do the logos for the NES and Game Boy Color ports. Some sources also add an additional subtitle of "A Nightmare Comes True!!", a tagline that is absent from the in-game logo and NES game box.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Default #15 on my list of box arts

While compiling my list I stumbled upon many interesting covers that I had never seen before including the following one:

I like how the cover uses the dragon's wings to frame the rest of action on the cover while still including the dragon as part of that action. The cover is very sparse in its use of colors but uses a lot of texturing and shading so that it doesn't appear dull or flat. And I like the composition of the cover - the different elements that represnt different aspects / parts of the game flow into each other to create a complete package that is visually appealing.

Facts:
Quote:
The Quest for the Rings is a 1981 fantasy strategy game for the Odyssey2 that was developed and published by Magnavox. It is played as a hybrid of a board game and a video game.
Detailed information about the gameplay (spoilered for length):
The Quest for the Rings is a fantasy strategy game using the combination of a game board, tokens, keyboard overlay and the computer to play the game. The game board is used to hide the ten ring tokens with various monster tokens under the castle tokens by the Ringmaster [Dungeon Master]. The keyboard overlay is used by the Ringmaster to interface with the computer when your heroes enter the castles choosing what type of labyrinth in which you will do battle. Combat is controlled by using the computer joysticks.

Gameplay pits the Ringmaster against up to four players. The Ringmaster controls the game by hiding the rings, choosing the dungeons and can even enter into combat. Before the game starts the hero players decide how many turns it will take to complete the quest for the ten rings either 50, 75 or 100 turns. Turns are based on castle visits and combat and if you don't complete your quest within the amount of turns you choose you lose. The hero players can start from any designated starting point on the game board and begin their quest for the rings.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM
hang high, soft star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post

StarTropics's cover is from the ideaology of Less is More. A nighttime scene of a nondescript tropical island, dramatically lit by a falling star. A small cave sits in the foreground, hinting at adventures below ground as well as above. It fired my imagination something fierce back then.
This might honestly be my favorite piece of cover art ever. Everything about the art, color scheme, even the font work and sub heading work to reinforce the feeling of late 80s early 90s "the universe is out there to explore, and we finally have the tools and knowledge to begin to comprehend it" that I love so much. I like Star Tropics and all, it's a good game, but this art really kind of encapsulates everything that I find fascinating about video games, and for that it's something really special.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Back to the Bear

I have that game, and OF COURSE some of the pieces are missing. I never tried to play the game properly, but the action side of things is not particularly compelling. An interesting concept but the Odyssey2 just wasn't up to the challenge of doing it justice.

I do dig the Odyssey2 box art, though! It's kind of dated, but in a nifty, neon-soaked science-fiction kind of way, not a dorky bowl haircuts and Buck Rogers outfits kind of way like the stuff you saw on the Atari 2600. Here are a few examples:

All of these images get you really pumped to play the games... only to be disappointed at what's actually on the cartridge. Now see, in 2018 we have to technology to make games that actually look like this box art. Someone should get on that.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Sometimes box art is made more interesting because of its surrounding context, or elevated by it. Consider AKI Corporation, also known as The Man Breeze, and the games they made their name on: wrestling, wrestling, and more wrestling, coinciding with the period wrestling in North America reached its cultural mainstream high, and also its peak in misogyny. As that moment passed, AKI continued working their expertise in the genre through Def Jam and Kinnikuman licenses, until a rebranding of the company late in the last decade. Now known as Syn Sophia, their output from this point on would practically exclusively be focused on fashion-focused simulation games, with as equal a grasp on the genre as they displayed towards wrestling games. It's not often a reinvention as total as this occurs and the people concerned are better off for it.

Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode / JP / DS / 2008

Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode - Yokubari Sengen! / JP / 3DS / 2012

Girls Mode 3: Kirakira ☆ Code / JP / 3DS / 2015

Girls Mode 4: Star Stylist / JP / 3DS / 2017

~Bonus Round~

To compare and contrast, a sampling of what AKI's games and covers looked like in their time as wrestling game developers, outside of their more well known work with the WCW and WWF licenses. Not surprisingly, it's a more interesting presentation than those games had.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 / JP / Nintendo 64 / 1997

So Many Wrestlers. So Much Excitement.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2: Ōdō Keishō / JP / Nintendo 64 / 2000

Rest in peace, Vader.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

That's some good stuff, ArugulaZ. The art for WAR OF NERVES! make me think of European (possibly French) sci-fi art. That five headed conjoined snake monster carrying a domed city on the ALIEN INVADERS—PLUS! cover is just crazy looking and awesome.

#12 on my list of box arts:

This cover/art has always caught my eye ever since I first saw it in an ad in a game magazine oh so many years ago. I like how it mixes sci-fi and fantasy elements - the standard confrontation with a knight by a castle seems quite different when it takes place on an alien planet. And beyond the clichés of the dark horse and the glowing red eyes on both mount and rider they looks different from most other evil knights you see. The raised axe is not really embellished to make it look more intimidating - it's merely a well-made tool for removing heads from shoulders. I also like the sweet looking fire-breathing dragon emblazoned on the knight's shield.

Facts:
Quote:
Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen is a 1993 CRPG that was developed and published by New World Computing. It was released for the MS-DOS, Mac, FM Towns and NEC PC-9801 platforms. The cover art was created by Michael J. Winterbauer.
An enquiring mind: "OK but why the German version of the cover!?"
It was the cleanest example I could find (at least in terms of other stuff on the box not covering up the artwork).
Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

So that's what happened to AKI. Fascinating, thanks for sharing Peklo!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

"the man breeze"
Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

So powerful a name they only dared to use it for one game.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:22 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Default #9 on my list of box arts

Not much to say here. The focal point of the cover is just a nice, straightforward black and white illustration of a dragon with some flashes of color used to accentuate it*. In fact I think I would be quite pleased to have this dragon as my coat of arms.

*The pinch of salt and dash of pepper for this dish.

(In hindsight I'm not sure why I ranked this one quite so high. Of course, if I had ranked the same covers multiple times I probably would have produced a different ordering each and every time. Also, this is another of cleanest available example winning.)

Facts:
Quote:
Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds (originally known as Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds - The Second Scenario) is a 1982 CRPG developed and published by Sir-Tech as part of they Wizardry series. It was released for the Apple II, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, MS-DOS, FM-7, Game Boy Color, Macintosh, MSX2, NES, PC booter, NEC PC-88, NEC PC-98 and Sharp X1 platforms. (Apple II box shown above.)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
King Of Space-Time

Reminds me of an illuminated manuscript. Nice.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:04 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post

My absolute favorite piece of cover art ever. I hunted down a version without any of the branding, etc, and it's been my phone background for years.
The very first time I saw this at the video store I asked my mom if I could rent it. She looked at the box art and said "no."

That's how you can quantify the superiority of the Life Force box art.

(A few months later I did get to rent it.)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Not a Beer

Getting back to another one from my list, I'm surprised that nobody else has posted this one (unless they did and I forgot):

A compelling and evocative scene in the classic SF mold, it was evidently painted by Éric Chahi, who designed the game almost entirely on his own.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Not a Beer

...and while I'm here let's just get another of the Atari 2600 "serious astronauts being serious, but also rainbows" boxes out of the way:

Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker JP edition

Later adapted for the HD release, for once the Zelda series played up the supporting cast as much as our leading Hero. The globe they perch on hints at the scale of the adventure to come. So many questions present themselves, you had to get it and find out.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Back to the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
...and while I'm here let's just get another of the Atari 2600 "serious astronauts being serious, but also rainbows" boxes out of the way:

This just isn't complete without the audio book!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Not a Beer

.............wow
Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post

"That's one small break for man, one giant break for mankind."

#8 on my list of box arts

Red Sorceress Queen takes zaps blue Knight with lightning so hard that his helmet flies off. He really should have heeded the warning sign of the blue Pawn laid out in front of him. Red Bishop cheers the Queen on with a raised fist while the red King behind her tries to look tough. And in this case we have the marble floor echoing the checker chessboard pattern of the game field/board.

Facts:
Quote:
Battle Chess is a 1988 chess video game that was developed and published by Interplay Productions. The game is pretty much just like a regular chess game but shows short animations when one piece captures another.

It was originally developed for the Amiga but was later ported to a lot of platforms:
3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amiga CD32, Amiga CDTV, Apple IIGS, Apple IIe, Atari ST, C64, MS-DOS, FM Towns, NES, Mac OS, NEC PC-9801, X68000, Windows
Some ports of the game were developed by Silicon & Synapse which are better known nowadays as a tiny little company called Blizzard. Maybe you've heard of them.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Default the original Ralph who wrecks it

*high fives Daikaiju*

#7 on my list of box arts

This cover pretty much perfectly portrays the chaotic mayhem that occurs in the game (even though none of the monsters are on-model). The title logo also matches the in-game title. And the art is placed so that the box template elements don't interfere with it. (It also helps that Rampage is one of my favorite games.)

For comparison here's a cover version that I don't like:

This cover for the NES version seems to portray the game as a face-off between two monsters with minimal focus on the destruction that is the primary focus and the military interference you encounter is not portrayed at all (those sure don't look like military helicopters). Also the art style is a bit too cartoony for my tastes, especially when compared to the art style of the Master System version.

Facts:
Quote:
Rampage is a 1988 action game created by Bally Midway for the arcade. It was ported to many different platforms - Master System, NES, Atari Lynx, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, C64, Amiga, Atari ST, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, IBM PC
Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I do like that Lizzy was redesigned to be a chameleon, instead of a generic Godzilla-style monster on the NES cover.

Nice use of the ol' creative license there.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:35 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

While I am fairly certain that Lizzie's concept was inspiried by Godzilla they still do seem quite different to me. I mean can you even imagine Godzilla trying to climb the side of a building? That would just look ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Default #6 on my list of box arts

Here we have some nice fearful symmetry as a phoenix* and dragon face off, wings raised in threatening postures as they both perch on an intricate geometric structure. This yin-yang nature of elements that are similar but opposite is repeated in the intermingled black and white of the title logo. The raised wings also interact with the logo in a manner that makes it seem more like it is part of the scene on the cover instead of just an image placed on top of the scene.

*Per the name of the in-game piece / character - but it sure looks like a griffon to me.

Here is a cleaner but smaller version of the same cover:
https://i.imgur.com/wa1VPWW.jpg

Facts:
Quote:
Archon Ultra is a 1994 MS-DOS game that is a remake (with some gameplay modifications) of Archon: The Light and the Dark. It was developed by Free Fall Associates but published by Strategic Simulations (AKA SSI),
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

Rockman Dash! for PS1

Japan was graced with a full color illustration showing off the new designs and characters in dynamic fashion. In the U.S. this was relegated to a greyscale image in the manual. BECAUSE PLAYSTATION GOTTA SHOW OFF THOSE POLYGONS!*

*and by polygons we mean a CGI render that never appears in game.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Back to the Bear

So Archon was designed by the Star Control guys? I wonder if Stardock will try to steal that IP from them next.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Perfect Dark Japanese Cover

Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
While there are many media genres I enjoy, when it comes to hard-boiled and/or noir fiction I find that I tend to enjoy the trappings and motifs of those more than any actual specific instances of those types of stories. So you can understand why this next cover caught my (private) eye.

It's a great cover, definitely.

Quote:
If you had a checklist for things that had to be included (AKA scène(s) à faire) in noir or hard-boiled fiction then this cover would check off quite a few of them:
  • A fedora and trench coat wearing detective
  • A femme fatale
  • A sinister, shadowy villain
  • A big city full of danger and intrigue
And then combines them all in an intriguing and arresting composition.
Speaking of, those things are represented in the actual game as follows:
  • An amnesiac detective who saves his own ass by punching random people, breaking into multiple residences, and dumping anything that could be used against him down the sewers
  • A random lady from another story with zero relevance to the plot, who tries to kill you but is taken out with one punch to the face
  • Some guy whose only notable work was all done pre-game (framing you, drugging you, putting a hitman in your office) and whose "encounter" involves you breaking into his mansion and stabbing him with a syringe feeding him drugs while he's asleep to solve a puzzle
  • A city where the biggest threats to your safety are the world's most persistent mugger, random sewer gators, and falling down a hole at a construction site you didn't notice

I love that game and was so happy when the NES MacVentures were ported to PS4. Now if they'd just put the collection on Switch/rerelease the GBC compilation that also brought Déjà Vu II into eight glorious bits.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:44 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
Default Torzelbaum already did other two but I call dibs on this one.

Shadowgate and Déjà Vu both got really awesome covers in their NES adaptations, but my favorite MacVenture cover (and the one that scared the shit out me as a kid) is this.

Uninvited (1991, Nintendo Entertainment System)

This is a really awesome cover. The feature presentation is the undead southern belle in the hallway, who's the first major obstacle in the game and looks way cooler on this cover than she does in the actual game.

In the pic, you can also see the following things:
  • A spooky ghost (One will tear you apart later if you're not prepared for it)
  • Zombies peeking over the door (They're featured prominently in the mausoleum)
  • A snake (One of the three caged animals in the mausoleum (the others are a hawk and a cat) and ironically the least threatening of the three)
  • A shadowy clawed hand holding something (Could be the belle's shadow playing tricks but it could also reference the other apparitions in the mansion)

Anyway, facts!

Quote:
Uninvited was a 1986 point-and-click adventure for Macintosh computers. It was adapted for the Famicom and NES in 1991 by Kemco-Seika.
And trivia time!

Quote:
Uninvited was the middle child of the original MacVentures, coming out after Déjà Vu but before Shadowgate on computers. On NES, it would be the last game to receive an adaptation, being preceded by its younger and older siblings.

Speaking of siblings, the younger brother you're trying to save in the original computer game was replaced by an older sister in the Japanese adaptation that would be ported back to English. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised they didn't go fo a girlfriend/fiancée/wife when making the change.

There are also references to both Shadowgate and Déjà Vu in the game. The phonograph plays a tune from the NES Shadowgate, and you can find the graves of both Ace Harding and Talimar the Black in the mausoleum.

Like its predecessors, Uninvited originally had an invisible time limit, in this game taking the form of the mansion's evil powers gradually taking over the player's mind, turning them into a zombie if you take too long. In the NES version this can also happen, but only if you pick up an optional cursed ruby and fail to throw it away in time.

Aside from that and a ghost that kills you instantly if you're not prepared when you come across it though, Uninvited is arguably the most fair of the ICOM MacVentures. It gives you multiple warnings about a giant spider, for one thing.

That said, it also has the biggest pile of useless items, too. I'd guess the original idea in the computer game was that players would throw all their limited time away examining and gathering a bunch of useless crap that serves no purpose. But it's just clutter on NES.

And being an NES era release, it was also the most "edited by NoA" of the MacVentures. So happy I get to whip this out again.

Mainly though, it's just a bit of gore, some occult stuff, crucifixes, and a bottle of wine you don't ever need that got the axe.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:12 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

I had Uninvited for my parents black and white Mac. It gave me horrible nightmares as a kid.

I also had now-forgotten adventure game Tass Times in Tonetown, which also gave me horrible nightmares for some reason.

Tags
rad space ships