The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
No, I'm really not. If you don't know what you're doing, playing through for the first time, say, Nemesis is exactly as scary and persistent as Mr. X (Again, ignoring that doofy "STARS" bit). Here is a big tough looking freak who can easily kill me if I stand around, and can't be killed. I'd better run.

If, however, someone tells you otherwise, or you're just the type to try fight before flight, you'll learn that Nemesis is actually a total joke you can drop with a few shotgun blasts. You shoot it a few times, it falls over apparently dead. And drops some incredibly nice shiny toy that's totally worth the ammo you spent (particularly since ammo is basically unlimited in 3). After you've done that once, it's no longer this overwhelming foe. It's a chump giant zombie that drops candy. I'm more afraid of a spider in a broad hallway than I am of Nemesis.

Past that, no, Nemesis sequences are just as scripted as Mr. X. The only difference is there's more of them, and RE3 has that gimmick (which I do appreciate) where there's a bunch of cases where you randomly get Event A or Event B. The game doesn't actually track Nemesis at all times, having him looking for you or anything like that. It's specific chase areas.

Also, no, you don't take a rocket launcher in with you for the tyrant fights in RE1 and 2. You have to spend a whole lot of time dodging around before someone finally shows up to toss you one, which is the only thing that can kill'em (and you can miss at that). Pretty tense and difficult, unless you really, really have the pattern committed to memory.
I played RE3 first and hold it in higher regard than 2, which I realize is not a popular opinion, but wow, you got some fucking beef with Nemesis, man. I don't even really care that much about Nemesis specifically; I just want more dynamism/systems from this new game. It needs to be more than just RE2's story, beat-for-beat, for me to want to play it.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 PM

nemesis is a cool game and i would fancy a replay. it's been... well, since it was initially released.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 PM

It's a very playable game if you can deal with the old controls, but I always felt it was kind of toothless. However I've never been able to best nemesis in combat really, I should at least try to do that someday.

Mercs mode is a ton of fun.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I really liked mixing ammo. I ended up making a ton of shotgun ammo and just mowing down everything. Yeah, toothless is a good description.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 PM

i used to be a resident evil savant. i could knife hunters to death in the original and take down the nemesis at every encounter without getting hurt.

i don't know what happened.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
It's a very playable game if you can deal with the old controls, but I always felt it was kind of toothless. However I've never been able to best nemesis in combat really, I should at least try to do that someday.

Mercs mode is a ton of fun.
That's totally fair. RE3 is a short, breezy romp with a zombie pinata that drops crazy-effective weapons if you can knock him down. I don't play RE games for the difficulty, I play them to blast zombies with cool-looking guns and have a great time doing it. Running around and popping heads with the Eagle 6.0 (a customized 9mm handgun with a scope) is the best.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:55 PM

Yeah! I really like how playing the game feels with the different ammo types and the exploding barrels and shit.

its just, y'know you can see how they're starting to make the action game slant more obvious. I ain't the kind of person to be all "WHY ISN'T IT SCARY ANYMORE", horror franchises don't stay scary, that's how it is. It's just that none of the areas have that tense set piece kind of feel that RE1 and 2 have, there's instead way more zombies and hallways to funnel them into and mow them down inside of.

in RE2 you can ditch the handgun with confidence right after you leave the RPD, there just comes a point where you're fighting things made of sterner stuff on the reg. Nemesis keeps numerous zombies around for pretty much the whole thing for you to fight with the occasional chimera thing. Oh and of course the tyrant itself. Going off memory for that paragraph, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ain't nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't stick out in my memories as much cause of that I guess.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
in RE2 you can ditch the handgun with confidence right after you leave the RPD, there just comes a point where you're fighting things made of sterner stuff on the reg. Nemesis keeps numerous zombies around for pretty much the whole thing for you to fight with the occasional chimera thing. Oh and of course the tyrant itself. Going off memory for that paragraph, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, RE3 continues to throw basic zomboids at you until the end, although they mix it up with the odd handful of Drain Deimoses or frog-mutants or whatever.

Another a great RE-style game: Dino Crisis 2. They dropped most of the shitty puzzle-solving from the first one and essentially turned it into a dino-blasting arcade game. I think the dinosaurs even drop extra ammo in the same way RE4 would mimic years later.

I really need to sit down and play RE2 again, just to try and solidify my somewhat-questionable opinions on it. It's probably been close to a decade since I last touched it, but I do go back to RE3 every few years because it's a quick playthrough.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
in RE2 you can ditch the handgun with confidence right after you leave the RPD, there just comes a point where you're fighting things made of sterner stuff on the reg.
Back when I was way too into ironman speed-running RE2, with Leon B in particular I hit a point where I would routinely ditch the knife and handgun at the earliest opportunity and just play the whole game with a combination of careful dodging, ammo efficient shotgun trick shots, and making the most of the extra inventory space.

In RE3 I also ditched the handgun as soon as possible in favor of the shotgun, but there it's because the game literally hands you enough shotgun ammo to use it to kill absolutely everything with plenty to spare.

Not saying that mow-down-hordes approach isn't fun in its own way, but the Mikami/Kamiya REs have this crazy design going where every round of ammo is a precious precious thing, and there's clear thought behind the exact placement of every monster, you know?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Little Waves

You keep saying that, but it's not really true. RE2 is the game where you get to the end with seventy-some magnum rounds and wonder what could possibly have justified using that many.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 PM

RE2 gives you a super shotgun and then puts you in a hallway where it shows off that you can blast 5 zombies in half with it at once, it is not a game about preciously rationed anything. My first playthrough ended with over 70 shots of both shotgun and magnum.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Resident Evil 2 Remake is here at last!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-lEnz5QKuM
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I've consistently heard that RE2 is up there with 4 and 7 as a major high point for the series, which makes me really want to play it. Hell if I want to deal with the controls in the PSX version though, so I am all about this.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi Almost Three Years Ago View Post
Capcom started talking about this remake following the overwhelming success of the rerelease of the RE1 remake. Given that timing, as well as the majority of fans responding to this announcement with "Please, please make it like the RE1 remake," I think they understand not to make it like RE4-6.
Uh yeah, about that...

Oh well, rat murder aside I'm still pretty excited about this REmake.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Senhor Member

My analysis: Leon has never been less pretty but he’s still pretty.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 PM

There's a second trailer too:

Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

Quote:
This is not how I imagined my first day.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

I want this so bad. This is exactly what I hoped the game would be.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'm gonna laugh if R3make ends up being a DLC expansion pack for RE2's remake.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

SHOW US HUNK YOU COWARDS
Old 06-12-2018, 04:52 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Pretty cool how Claire barely appears in these trailers, considering how RE up to this point and this game in particular were about gender parity.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
SHOW US HUNK YOU COWARDS
Old 06-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Pretty cool how Claire barely appears in these trailers, considering how RE up to this point and this game in particular were about gender parity.
Yeah, I was disappointed she only got a few seconds in the first trailer. Don't think I even saw her in the second.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 PM
BAG

Gameplay video has been released, Leon is a terrible aim and can't suplex zombies.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Leon is a terrible aim and can't suplex zombies.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Looks more like 4 with movement-while-aiming than 6, which is good.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM
i musnt run away

Damn, I was hoping it would be a full REmake style with the old controls and camera angles. But I guess RE2:RE4 will still be interesting.

They'd better still allow you to play the whole game as either Leon or Claire. If she gets relegated to side character status I will set fire to Japan.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Spear of Justice

I'm optimistic that Claire will still be fully playable. Aside from a couple of different weapons, she and Leon played exactly the same, so I imagine the majority of extra work involved to implement her will be animating more cutscenes and recording new voice lines.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Plot twist: both Leon and Claire die within the first 30 minutes, HUNK inherits the earth
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'm assuming/hoping that the big focus on Leon over Claire in the current promo stuff is only because more of the cutscenes in his Path A are finished at the moment. Like, the game's still over half a year away.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I would assume it's also because he's more recognizable from being the PC in 4.

Tags
big poppin' headshots , first day on the job , horror games , hunk is life , leon is hometown , re2-make , tofu dlc , we do it