The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-10-2019, 12:13 AM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I would pay dirty money to get Poke Floats and Orbital Gate Assault in a DLC package
Old 01-10-2019, 02:33 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Other: M Ucker: F - that damn digging robot from Samus Returns made it in the game.

If there is no Mike Jones spirit I will be quite put out.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

100%'d WoL last night, and besides finishing classic mode with the rest of the characters I think I'm done with my completionism.

It's still absurd to me that I have hundreds of snacks I can't feed my spirits because I don't have enough spirit points.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
100%'d WoL last night, and besides finishing classic mode with the rest of the characters I think I'm done with my completionism.

It's still absurd to me that I have hundreds of snacks I can't feed my spirits because I don't have enough spirit points.
Probably better to just sell the snacks for more spirit points.

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Born in the USA

Then I'd have nothing to spend them on
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

I sold my watch to level up Dixie Kong's ponytail, but she sold her hair to buy me a watch chain!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

The gift of the donki.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cartoon View Post
Other: M Ucker: F - that damn digging robot from Samus Returns made it in the game.

Preach.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cartoon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Preach.
I looked it up 'cuz I was genuinely curious. SPOILERS: Smash continues the tradition of forgetting that Startropics even existed, unfortunately. Oh well, I'm glad it at least remembered Tomato Adventure.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I looked it up 'cuz I was genuinely curious. SPOILERS: Smash continues the tradition of forgetting that Startropics even existed, unfortunately. Oh well, I'm glad it at least remembered Tomato Adventure.
This is probably at least in part because Startropics and its sequel didn't really exist in Japan, outside of being developed there. Like as not, it seems the key to getting Smash recognition requires at least having your game been for sale in the Japanese market.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Feeling fluid.

Got curious and did a breakdown of SSBU characters by gender and found 72.3% of characters were male vs 27.7% female, or 50.6 male characters and 19.4 female characters (leaving out the Mii fighters and announced DLC characters).

Each character with only one gender option added 1 to that gender's total. For characters that have an equal number of M/F options (eg Inklings, Corrin) I ascribed 0.5 to both genders, with Bowser Jr/Koopa Kids adding 0.875 to M and 0.125 to F thanks to Wendy. I counted most Pokemon as adding 0.5 to both with the exception of Pikachu, which added 0.75 to M and 0.25 to F since two of the eight options have female tails.

Since I already had a spreadsheet open, I kept going and broke characters down by series. For the curious: Mario 10, Pokemon 8, Fire Emblem 7, Legend of Zelda 6, Metroid 4, Star Fox 3, Donkey Kong 3, Kid Icarus 3, Street Fighter 2, Animal Crossing 2, Castlevania 2, Kirby 2, Mother 2, all others 1.

Stats are cool, kids!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Oh No!

That puts Metroid and Animal Crossing tied for the series with the most female representation in Smash Ultimate with 75% of their series fighters being women, if only counting series with multiple reps.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM

... is there a Girl Ridley option I was unaware of?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
... is there a Girl Ridley option I was unaware of?
Samus, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus.

Unless Dark Samus isn't counted as female? I haven't gotten to Prime 2 yet.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
Samus, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus.

Unless Dark Samus isn't counted as female? I haven't gotten to Prime 2 yet.
I think Dark Samus was referred to as she in the associated Pit/Palutaena skit in the game.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I donít want to be gender-normative, but Dark Samus is an amorphous pile of tentacles in a crunchy chitin-suit. So Iím not really sure how how to tally that.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 AM
Fifth Business

Dark Samus is a probably-genderless ancient alien mutant in origin, but after meeting Samus she revives herself in her image, is usually considered female, and the scans in-game say she copied the DNA of Samus as well as her armory outer essence, so there's more reason than not to say she counts for evening out the gender ratio a smidge more. As a strong, independent, Phazon-loving woman who boldly flouts societal norms and defies conventional standards of beauty.

While, unfortunately, still doing the whole 'evil Samus doppelganger' thing after SA-X already did, and not as well as SA-X either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locit View Post
, Kirby 2
Hey now, if you forgot to count Meta-Knight that's fine but if you forgot to count King Dedede
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Feeling fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Hey now, if you forgot to count Meta-Knight that's fine but if you forgot to count King Dedede
That was legitimately the case!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Senhor Member

I canít help but think of Ridley as a woman because she looks kinda like a xenomorph and also Ridley sounds like Ripley. I have no idea how Ridley is characterized in Metroid games.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Just like in this game, Ridleys big on screeching, stabbing things with its tail and surviving.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
I canít help but think of Ridley as a woman because she looks kinda like a xenomorph and also Ridley sounds like Ripley. I have no idea how Ridley is characterized in Metroid games.
Ripley also looks like Ridley if you're me and screw up "p" and "d" a lot!
Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM
oh my car

Dark Samus' mimicry of Samus makes her female, I'd say, but she's also a unique and strictly solitary organism seemingly uninterested in communication, acknowledging no society in the context of which gender can be understood (except as obstacles to turning the planets they inhabit into phazon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
The games refer to Ridley as male. They say he's a cunning and vicious leader of the Space Pirates (presumably the one who decided to subordinate the organization to Mother Brain), giving orders and everything. He apparently even designed Mecha Ridley, a robot double of himself, making him sort of a pterodactyl Doctor Doom. But they never give him any lines.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
making him sort of a pterodactyl Doctor Doom

guys i just got an idea for a spirit
Old 01-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Dark Samus' mimicry of Samus makes her female, I'd say, but she's also a unique and strictly solitary organism seemingly uninterested in communication, acknowledging no society in the context of which gender can be understood (except as obstacles to turning the planets they inhabit into phazon).
Alternatively encountering a badass woman space bounty Hunter has inspired her to realize her inner desires and expand beyond her former identity.

I mean she still turns everything into phazon but she does it while being bad and femme.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Fifth Business

Ridley in the games is mostly just a slasher villain bursting in to cause havoc at the worst possible times and refusing to die, but his recurring tendency towards ambushes and sabotage does certainly go along with the reading of being not only a vicious monstrosity, but also a sadistic and cunningly opportunistic jerk of a villain. And even with his fairly limited characterization, I always feel he works wonderfully in the games, with loads of screen presence. I'm always DELIGHTED when he shows up to do Ridley things, and especially as the series has gone on there really is just a good solid sense of history and bad blood between him and Samus that makes it all special.

And though a wordy Metroid game that is also good might not be the easiest thing to pull off based on some of the available evidence, it's also worth mentioning that there's been official, CONFIRMED CANON, Metroid manga showing some of the backstory for Samus, and Ridley is much more chatty in it in ways that I think they pulled off surprisingly well. He comes across as extravagantly wicked, but with an interesting texture to his cruelty and some idiosyncratic ways about him, with some pretty expressive faces and body language. Abruptly shifting from thoughtful, almost whimsical calm to explosions of enthusiastic violence that feels very much in keeping with how he seems in the games, often waiting quietly in the wings before deciding SCREEEEECH, BOSS FIIIIIIIGHT.

AND ALSO

Of all the Smash fighters, Ridley is highest on the "just...so goddamn MEAN" tier list.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 PM
oh my car

Bowser is the villain people mistake Dedede for. K Rool is the villain Bowser pretends to be. Ridley is the villain K Rool wishes he was.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Alternatively encountering a badass woman space bounty Hunter has inspired her to realize her inner desires and expand beyond her former identity.

I mean she still turns everything into phazon but she does it while being bad and femme.
My headcanon is that Prime mimicked Samus because she was the single most horrifically efficient predator it had ever encountered and knew a good thing when it saw it.

Incidentally, that scene in Skyfall where Bond undergoes a series of tests to see if heís ready to go back in the field, and you see what an inhuman monster his bloody work has turned James Bond into pretty much perfectly sums up my mental image of Samus Arans personality.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
My headcanon is that Prime mimicked Samus because she was the single most horrifically efficient predator it had ever encountered and knew a good thing when it saw it.
I'm pretty sure that that is actual canon.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
I'm pretty sure that that is actual canon.
Well, that's part of it, but the other part is that it absorbed and integrated with the Phazon Suit, which is shaped like that.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM
Born in the USA

Did you count ROB as a male? Do robots have gender?

Tags
banjo-kazooie sux anyway , but bomberman , cu chulainn , daisy ridley , engage ridley , kirby top tier confirmed , know goku know peace , mario bros are dead , mrsakuraiidontfeelsowell , nintendo , nintendo switch , no chorus kids ever , no goku no peace , oh! daisy , ridleys big enough , smash 4-2 , smash 4.8 & 358/2 days , smash 5 , smash bros , switch , too pig for smash , wii fit trainer's face