The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM

In case anyone was wondering, Bouncy Bob being listed at $0.01 is still too much money.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Quite a few of these just went on sale in the eShop Christmas sale.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?vers...&sort=discount
What good timing for this thread, because as far as I can tell, the deciding factor for what has a good sale right now is "Have you already heard of it?" Almost all of the titles mentioned up-thread are on sale right now, and some of them are very deep discounts!

And speaking of, I have a couple more to mention, both currently on sale!

The Final Station is really good, ya'll. I couldn't put it down once I started. It's a 2D pixel-art survival horror game where you play a commuter train driver who gets conscripted by the army/government to deliver dangerous cargo when some kind of mysterious zombie(?) apocalypse breaks out. The game is divided into two discrete gameplay sections, with on-foot explorations to find survivors/supplies and shoot zombies interspersed with train travel where you have to feed and bandage passengers while maintaining the train. The story is left pretty vague, dolloped out by notes, environmental story-telling, and chatter among the survivors on your train, and the whole thing is very minimalist (including lacking any kind of tutorial). It's tense and atmospheric and has a couple of arresting set pieces with amazing artwork and I really enjoyed my time with it, and it's currently half-price!

Clustertruck is a very silly, clever game where your goal is to parkour your way along a racing course by jumping from the top of one tractor-trailer to another, and things start off ridiculous and just keep getting zanier. It too is currently half-price!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I disagree, this thread is awful. I don't even have time for the games that I already own, and the short list of games I want to buy. Why would you all do this to me?
I meant this to be silly, but in retrospect I should be more positive, even when joking around.

I'm probably going to pick up a few of these neat looking games, thanks!
Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Sega CD version is better

More games on that sale list worth your time.

RIVE - Twin stick shoot em up plus platforming action.

Bleed 1 & 2 - See above

Yoku’s Island Express - What if a metroidvania was also a pinball game.

The Mummy Demastered - Good metroidvania license game for bad movie.

Battle Chef Brigade - Vanillaware action rpg + match three puzzle game + Iron Chef.

ICEY - Vanillaware action rpg + The Stanley Parable.

OPUS: The Day We Found Earth - Cute little sci fi visual novel/astronomy simulator.

Last edited by Becksworth; 12-20-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

This is a great thread but I'm going to characteristically be negative.

1. Immortal Redneck has been previously described as "like Doom". Immortal Redneck is not like Doom. Doom is good.

2. Golf Story praise baffles me. For all its charm, it can't play a decent game of golf. The core systems aren't as strong as NES Open Tournament, which is on Nintendo Switch Online and a trillion years old.

3. It's Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, Octo, you malcontent.

Aight back to being cool. I'm done.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:28 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Shephy

A single-player card game where you need to breed high value sheep and not lose them to natural disasters like meteor strikes. Surprisingly emotional!

Holy shit, you guys, this game is so good. Like, it's a very good video game. I've already gotten my money's worth out of this thread. I downloaded it expecting it to be something slight but ended up obsessively playing it for 5 hours straight.

It starts nice and slow, easing you in with a simple card game. You have a fixed deck of cards, and after a few games you should be able to win pretty consistently, outside of a particularly bad draw. But then you try story mode, inexplicably called "Post Loves" because this game has a charmingly amateur translation from Japanese, and it introduces special challenge rules and goals that slowly ramp up the difficulty to ridiculous levels (I almost gave up on the last level entirely before managing to squeak it out).

And these special story challenges come organically from the narrative, which is completely batshit:

Yes, the plot setup for this game is Sheep Sliders. So the plot must settle down from there, right? Well...

Not so much, no.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

Every single time someone posts one of these, I already have the game.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Every single time someone posts one of these, I already have the game.
A pain I know all to well.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Shephy
The dialogue "You sent the sheep through the dimensional fork? You have betrayed mankind!" has put this game on my wishlist.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:07 AM
I have a Plan

Oh, Ziggurat isn't on Switch.

Whoops.

All these screens with a slew of games right next to each other kinda blend together regardless of the lightning box.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Started plinking my way through the games I picked up but couldn’t touch due to Santa Law. I can’t offer any visual aids to this post as I’m tippy-tapping on a phone screen, but all have made me say “Ooooooh” and fired off the ol’ Mental Fun Zone Receptor region of my brains.

Neon Chrome was mentioned earlier in this thread, and is a twin stick rogue-em-Up with you playing as a dude/lady assigned to rampage your way through a futuristic Cyberpunk High-Rise, exploding the frig out of every piece of security you find in order to find and killing the companies CEO before he can fire you (it’s a futuristic corporate dystopia, so that means “kill you”). Kind of feels a bit like the Crusader games on DOS, just with Roguelike elements. Lacks the creativity of other twin stick rogue-em-ups like Wizard of Legend or Enter the Gungeon, but it’s still really silly and fast-paced fun.

Full Metal Furies is from the same people that made Rogue Legacy, but exists as a wildly different sort of game; there’s nary a scruffy of Rogue to be found, for one thing, it’s an RPG/Beat-em-Up not entirely dissimilar to the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Games, just without the Marvel characters; take control of one of four Adventure Ladies (two or four, if you’re playing solo) and pulverize your way through varied battlefields, tracking down and crushing the armies of divine beings whose endless wars are destroying the planet. The art style and sense of humour are both really strong with it, and each of the characters play wildly different from one another, and unlockable upgrades vary them up even further. Strongly recommended.

Everspace is FTL for people who say that Star Trek is for boring lame-is and just want to fly around space and explode crap! It’s an open world spaceship game much in the Colony Wars/Elite vein with the relentless march of an unstoppable enemy fleet constantly pushing you forward, and a plot about trying to figure out why, exactly, you’re in a Roguelike loop of death and rebirth in new regions.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Full Metal Furies is from the same people that made Rogue Legacy, but exists as a wildly different sort of game; there’s nary a scruffy of Rogue to be found, for one thing, it’s an RPG/Beat-em-Up not entirely dissimilar to the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Games, just without the Marvel characters; take control of one of four Adventure Ladies (two or four, if you’re playing solo) and pulverize your way through varied battlefields, tracking down and crushing the armies of divine beings whose endless wars are destroying the planet. The art style and sense of humour are both really strong with it, and each of the characters play wildly different from one another, and unlockable upgrades vary them up even further. Strongly recommended.
This is climbing up my wishlist more and more. I may just have to go for it next time I eShop.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
This is climbing up my wishlist more and more.
Same. I'd had my eye on it for a while, but comparing it to MUA makes me even more interested.

Tags
chuckled obama , eshop , gems , indie , secret best , switch