The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he
Default LttOP: Liveblogging my Octopath travels

Now, I know all of you already played Octomom Travelpants, but it's new to me, so rather than hunt down and revive the old thread for a game that only I am playing, I'm making my own thread, and nobody can stop me.

In case you've been avoiding information about Octopus Trampoline but for some reason decided to start learning about it just now, it is an RPG where you can play as one of eight characters, each with a backstory and such, and you can wander around and recruit the other seven. I haven't actually done any research about the game, but it has amazing music and came highly recommended by Jables, and it was on sale besides. So now I am on my own Octagon Trampler journey.

Tressa, the Merchant

I decided to start with Tressa. This was partially because I could only locate four of the characters on the map (namely, Tressa, the scholar, the hunter, and the one that I already forgot about).

Each character has a "Path" ability (that is, a way to screw with NPCs) and a special power. Tressa's Path ability is Purchase, which lets her take NPCs' most valued possessions for below list price, and her special power is to find large piles of money that someone left on the ground and no one noticed. Somehow. Okay.

Tressa's backstory is that she works at a shop (but not an item shop or a weapon shop; it is unclear why anyone shops here). Some pirates come to town and steal goods from people, and Tressa wants to kill the pirates and bring Justice to Nowheresville, Octopathia. Also, there is a merchant captain.

Tressa buys a soporific from the merchant captain, acquires an enormous cask of wine by unknown means, transports the enormous cask by unknown means, and makes a cave full of pirates fall into a deep sleep, but not deep enough to avoid a boss fight.

In Occipital Traversal, bosses don't actually die as a result of boss fights, so defeating the pirate captains just causes them to summon their crew to attack. But even so, let's give an A+ to the teenage girl for besting two grown, battle-hardened men in two-on-one combat. It's fine, though, because merchant captain shows up. But wait! Merchant captain is actually ex-pirate captain, and everyone is surprised.

Merchant captain is a good guy now, and he offers Tressa her choice of treasure from his ship. Tressa identifies a priceless painting that could make her wealthy beyond measure, then she settles on an old diary.

Captain: Are you, you know, sure about this? That book is worthless. I was going to throw it out.
Tressa: Nope, definitely the book and not one of your actually amazing treasures.

I want to emphasize at this point that the game has told us numerous times that Tressa has an amazing aptitude for mercantry. She doesn't even attempt to get the book for free along with something valuable. Really dropped the ball on this one, she did.

But she reads the book, which tells about someone's journey doing stuff, and that makes her want to journey doing stuff. So off she goes.

Olberic, the Warrior

So Tressa wandered around until she found a new character.

Olimar is a fine character for basically any game but this one. When the whole concept is that everyone gets to screw with NPCs, you can't help but be disappointed when the guy's Path ability is to fight them. Fighting is what I do when I'm not in a town! I don't also need to do it in a town! Compounding that is his special ability: he defends good. No one is getting excited about the Defend command!

Anyway, this guy has the exact same story as Tressa, except that apparently he used to be a knight and his king died. So now he's hanging around New Nowheresville, and some pirates bandits come and steal goods a boy from the village, and Olimar wants to kill the bandits and bring Justice to New Nowheresville. Also, everyone calls him "Burg," which is his way of disguising himself, but it's a really bad disguise because his last name is "Eisenburg." It's like if David Hasselhoff went undercover as "Hoff."

Olberic responds to this tragedy by challenging the boy's mother to single combat. Then, for good measure, he also beats up the town's watchmen and the town elder.

Anyway, Olberic doesn't bother putting the bandits to sleep, because he has a really big sword. He just straight up kills all of them.

Except that, as I mentioned, bosses don't die when you kill them. Instead, the bandit leader reveals that he knows the guy that killed the king. But wait! Burg is actually Olberic Eisenburg, and everyone is surprised.

Olberic decides to leave New Nowheresville to look for the guy that killed the king recruit an exotic dancer.

But that's an octostory for another day.

Last edited by Mogri; 01-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I, for one, am excited about the defend command!

Last edited by Destil; 01-10-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: This isn't even a joke, I actually *am*.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Merchant captain is a good guy now, and he offers Tressa her choice of treasure from his ship. Tressa identifies a priceless painting that could make her wealthy beyond measure, then she settles on an old diary.

Captain: Are you, you know, sure about this? That book is worthless. I was going to throw it out.
Tressa: Nope, definitely the book and not one of your actually amazing treasures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Pictured: Tressa at the end of her intro chapter:

Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Funko Superfan

Man I dunno I thought Tressa taking this journal instead of the wealth was cool and good. Yeah, she's got Merchant sense, and she identifies something that has real value for her. Especially after the worth of the painting is clearly laid out. I mean, that's the character. I don't understand how this is supposed to be a misstep for the game.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Man I dunno I thought Tressa taking this journal instead of the wealth was cool and good. Yeah, she's got Merchant sense, and she identifies something that has real value for her. Especially after the worth of the painting is clearly laid out. I mean, that's the character. I don't understand how this is supposed to be a misstep for the game.
I'm just saying she could easily have talked him into the diary and the painting
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Now, I know all of you already played Octomom Travelpants, but it's new to me, so rather than hunt down and revive the old thread for a game that only I am playing
I feel attacked
Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM
What's Shenmue?

I'm confused. Are you enjoying the game?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I'm confused. Are you enjoying the game?
Yes! The battle system is intriguing, and I like the idea of interacting with the NPCs. As early as I am in the game, I don't have a great feel for how either is going to progress, but I like what I've seen so far. Also, the visuals are very pretty, and as I mentioned, the music is fantastic.

Primrose, the Dancer

Our intrepid duo crosses the desert to find themselves in Desertville, where our next companion is working at a gentlemen's club. Said club is run by Sleaziest Possible Dude, and it's strongly hinted that Sleaziest Possible Dude is sexually assaulting his employees, possibly on a nightly basis. This is really gross, and you know he's not going to survive the next 10 minutes of gameplay.

Prim's story is that her dad was killed by three guys with crow tattoos. (If they mentioned what happened to her mom, I missed it.) She wants revenge so badly that she decides to move to Desertville and throw in with Sleaziest Possible Dude because she heard there was some connection between Desertville and the crow men.

This ends up being an even worse plan than you might think at first, because it takes about a decade to pay off. In the meantime, Primrose has worked her metaphorical butt off to become Sleaziest Possible Dude's favorite dancer, earning her the ire of her co-workers -- all but one of them, that is, which is how you know that one is not going to survive the next 5 minutes of gameplay.

Anyway, a good decade into her career, one of the crow men finally wanders into the club where she works. She tries tailing him, but Sleaziest Possible Dude notices and orders her back to work. Kindly Co-Worker sees this and offers to distract Sleaziest Possible Dude so that Primrose can do her thing.

Primrose finds crow guy talking with Sleaziest Possible Dude in a way that suggests the crow guys are in charge of Sleaziest Possible Dude or at the very least have one over on him. As crow guy leaves town and Sleaziest Possible Dude heads back to the club, Primrose moves to follow crow guy.

This ends up being fruitless because, about fifty feet out of town, Prim is intercepted by Sleaziest Possible Dude with several guards and, wouldn't you know it, Kindly Co-Worker. Seems they tortured Kindly Co-Worker into giving away the plan. This is really impressive when you consider that A) they had very little time to do this and B) Primrose never actually told Kindly Co-Worker where she was going. You can fault his methods, but you can't fault his efficiency.

So they slit Kindly Co-Worker's throat, and Sleaziest Possible Dude offers to take the prodigal Primrose back into the fold if she sucks him. She tells him to go suck himself, and how did this game get a T rating? Anyway, there's a boss battle, and Sleaziest Possible Dude's sprite is amazing. I'll have to post it once I figure out how to get screenshots off of the Switch.

It's worth mentioning at this point that Prim's path action is Allure, which seduces an NPC into following her around, becoming a summonable ally for a little while. Despite what everything about this chapter is indicating, Oculus Tarragon is progressive enough to allow Prim to seduce NPCs of any gender.

And that's how Sleaziest Possible Dude ended up being killed by an elderly lady. How can I not enjoy a game that allows that to happen?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I love the riffs on Octopath Traveler.

Also now I'm going to always call Olberic Olimar damn you.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I love the riffs on Octopath Traveler.
That's good, because I'm not nearly done making fun of the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Also now I'm going to always call Olberic Olimar damn you.
Excellent.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Quote:
Anyway, there's a boss battle, and Sleaziest Possible Dude's sprite is amazing. I'll have to post it once I figure out how to get screenshots off of the Switch.
It's a very good sprite, and tied for my favourite Chapter 1 boss sprite. I started screen-shotting every single boss sprite in that game, and it is to my eternal regret that I only thought to start doing so after about half of the intro chapters were already done.

Anyway, I usually just Tweet when I want to share a SS, although I'm pretty sure someone Um, Actuallyed me at some point in the main Octopath thread to tell me that I can move them en masse using an SD card or something.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Here's someone else's image of him:

You'll have to imagine Tressa is also in that battle, but let's ignore that and appreciate that Sleaziest Possible Dude dragged a really nice chair and glass of wine out into the desert to do battle with Primrose and company.

Alfyn, the Apothecary

I should mention that Prim's chapter ends with her holding a map that crow man gave to Sleaziest Possible Dude. It shows him way up in the cold north, and Prim mentions maybe getting warmer clothes. She immediately forgets about that and stays in her immensely degrading dancer's outfit. Not trying to shame you, Primrose, but I would've thought you'd want to escape from the indignity of your former profession at your earliest opportunity.

Tressa, Olimar, and Primrose continue their trek and wind up in New New Nowheresville, where Alphys is standing around concernedly because his best friend's sister is dying. He tells us all about it.

There's, um, really not much to tell, to be honest. Alfyn and his friend are medicine men in an age where medicine is not very well explored (as the game tells us). Alfyn's friend's sister gets bit by a snake. Someone needs to find the snake, and his friend wants to do it, but Alfyn convinces him that Alfyn is the protagonist of this story.

In the process of discovering what happened to the friend's sister -- because she is unresponsive due to the poison, don't ask how -- we need to use Alfyn's path ability. Alfyn's path ability is to talk to NPCs, but, like, really well. Sometimes, Alfyn talks to an NPC so well that he gets a special bonus for doing so. In this case, we need to talk to Alfyn's friend's sister's friend, who carried Alfyn's friend's sister back to town, to figure out that Alfyn's friend's sister was bit by a snake.

So we're off to find the snake. I make sure to buy lots of poison-curing items that are conveniently for sale at the store right next door to Alfyn's friend's house, where Alfyn's friend's sister is dying from poison, then with those poison-curing items in hand, the party marches to the cave where the snake lives.

At this point, you might have noticed that many of these chapter 1 stories go something like "person lives in small town, bad thing happens, person goes to cave to fix bad thing." It's not awful, but it is pretty weird. In the game's defense, though, Primrose lived in a large town and only very briefly went through a cave.

Alfyn is the most "gee-shucks" character in any game ever. The game really wants you to know this, so they made Alfyn actually say "shucks" in about half of his dialogue. This includes when Alfyn discovers the snake. "Shucks, snake," he says, "I need some of your venom."

And so we're launched into the first actually hard fight I've had so far. I don't know if this boss is particularly difficult or the others are just easy, but the game has some natural scaling built in, so as you acquire more characters, the game reacts by making new characters' intros not complete speedbumps.

Snake Boss has two particularly nasty attacks: it can hit everyone for a good chunk of damage (over 100 each), and it can poison everyone for 3 to 5 turns. Poison is an actual big deal in Octopode Tapdancer: a poisoned character seems to lose about a quarter of his max health each turn. That's real bad! Prior to this fight, I hadn't had a single death, but I had three characters die in this battle alone. (Two of them were Alfys, who is at a much lower level than the rest of the party.)

Fortunately, Alfyn has the !Mix command, which lets him concoct powerful potions using ingredients that I've been hoarding all game. The mixing system is pretty straightforward: you have a base that determines if you're targeting one or many heroes or enemies, and then you have a reagent that adds effects to it. At one point, I accidentally use a mix that heals my entire party for 8000 HP, a move I'm sure to regret down the line once my party actually has more than a few hundred HP each.

After a long, drawn-out battle with the giant snake, our party emerges victorious. "Oops," says Alfyn. "It looks like I accidentally hit you. Shucks."

The party rushes back with the venom, which Alfyn's friend uses to save Alfyn's friend's sister. Alfyn thinks to himself, "Shucks. It looks like I really am needed in New New Nowheresville. I guess I shouldn't leave here." After a brief conversation with his friend, he does a complete 180 and decides to travel the world.

The next morning, Alfyn and his friend exchange satchels. This is a sweet/awkward moment. His friend is kind of put on the spot, since Alfyn is about to walk out of his life and he needs to come up with a way to commemorate the moment, so he decides to give Alfyn his satchel to remember him by, which is maybe not the best gift but then he really didn't have time for something better. But because Alfyn doesn't need two satchels and his friend is suddenly without one, Alfyn gives his satchel to his friend. The scene has an earnestly embarrassing quality to it. I like it.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Primrose, the Dancer
I played through this part when the demo came out and it was enough to put me off the game entirely. Bravely Default already had more than enough mean-spirited misogyny and the first hour of Primrose's story felt even worse than that. Chances are I've probably already seen the worst the game has to offer, but I just can't truck with this kind of writing anymore. I'd rather spend 35 hours trying to beat some kind of optional superboss instead.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I played through this part when the demo came out and it was enough to put me off the game entirely. Bravely Default already had more than enough mean-spirited misogyny and the first hour of Primrose's story felt even worse than that. Chances are I've probably already seen the worst the game has to offer, but I just can't truck with this kind of writing anymore. I'd rather spend 35 hours trying to beat some kind of optional superboss instead.
Nah, Primrose's second chapter is waaaay worse and takes basically all of the things her first chapter implied and made them concrete. Instead of implied prostitution with the dancers, you get "here is a literal brothel where women are forced into sex work" and also a side of implied child molestation and it's so bizarre and tonally dissonant from literally everything else in the game
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I definitely don't blame you. If anything, I think I'm downplaying how gross that chapter is.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Nah, Primrose's second chapter is waaaay worse and takes basically all of the things her first chapter implied and made them concrete. Instead of implied prostitution with the dancers, you get "here is a literal brothel where women are forced into sex work" and also a side of implied child molestation and it's so bizarre and tonally dissonant from literally everything else in the game
ugh
Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Sudden chomper

Well, uh, thank you for validating my decision I guess.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM
so exciting!

sorry for spoiling that for you Mogri
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
sorry for spoiling that for you Mogri
I mean, it was clearly spoiler-tagged. I was hoping for good news behind that blue bar, though.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
The next morning, Alfyn and his friend exchange satchels. This is a sweet/awkward moment. His friend is kind of put on the spot, since Alfyn is about to walk out of his life and he needs to come up with a way to commemorate the moment, so he decides to give Alfyn his satchel to remember him by, which is maybe not the best gift but then he really didn't have time for something better. But because Alfyn doesn't need two satchels and his friend is suddenly without one, Alfyn gives his satchel to his friend. The scene has an earnestly embarrassing quality to it. I like it.
Alfyn annoys the shit out of me but this scene is indeed lovely.

I still think Primrose's story is good and I love that it is upfront and raw about being about prostitution rather than the fake "oh no they're just dancers (wink wink)" that so many other games do. Be honest that having to sell your body for money is a horrible thing to have to do if you have no other options and that sex trafficking is awful. But I know I'm in the minority here.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Cyrus, the Barrister Scholar

Our party of four marches onward. Four is the maximum party size, so we'll have to make some Tough Decisions starting... now.

Cyrus teaches at the royal academy in Castleburg, where he has exactly two students: the Princess and Not-the-Princess. The Princess knows her stuff but has the voice of a 12-year-old. Not-the-Princess is struggling to keep up. She is also struggling to get senpai to notice her.

Today is a special day for Cyrus: they're going to let him in the secret basement of the royal library! Only two keys to the royal library exist, held by the headmaster and the guard standing right in front of the library. Why they don't issue a key to the actual librarian, we'll never know. Cyrus goes into the secret basement and notices that the book he wants is missing. He doesn't have time to search the shelves, because he receives an urgent summons by the headmaster.

The headmaster is annoyed that Cyrus cited one of the secret books from the secret basement in his last publication. Cyrus (and the player) wonder quietly how this man ever got into academia, but Cyrus wants to keep his job, so he submits to the headmaster's will. During this whole scene, there's another person in the room who I was sure was going to be Evil Scholar, but it ends up it was just the headmaster's assistant.

Cyrus returns to the library, where the librarian was searching the stacks in his absence. She reports that the book is indeed gone. It was just there a few days ago! Where could it have gone? Cyrus loves a mystery, so we're off to interrogate some townsfolk.

Cyrus's path action is "Scrutinize," which is apparently the evil version of Alfyn's "Inspect" action: Alfyn's Inspect is guaranteed as long as he's at a high enough level, but Cyrus's Scrutinize can be attempted at a lower level with the chance of failure. Failing to Scrutinize appropriately will lower your reputation in that town.

Since this is still Cyrus 101: Introduction to Cyrus, we can't fail, so we Scrutinize some dudes and figure out that the headmaster hasn't used his key lately, the guard doesn't care about books, and the Only Other NPC in this situation has racked up some gambling debts. Case closed, thanks to the existence of just a single suspect!

But then Ocarina Timetraveler remembers this is an RPG, so it forces us to go through a dungeon before we can confront the suspect, who is also a professor at the academy. After some deliberation, I decide to leave Olimar on the benches for this one. He's my strongest character, but he's also my least exciting, and the only vulnerabilities he hits are spear and sword, and Tressa has spear covered. I reason that if this boss is as hard as Alfyn's, I will probably regret this, but in all likelihood, we got this.

So we once again go into a cave to find something that was stolen, although in a subtle twist, this cave is located inside the town, making this a slightly shorter chapter than the rest. We are heavily encouraged to make use of Cyrus's spells as we traverse the dungeon, since the enemies here have lots of elemental weaknesses and few weapon weaknesses. The boss himself is not especially challenging this time, and Primrose seduced another old lady to help us. This particular old lady casts Fire Storm, which is Cyrus's best ability at the moment. She again lands the killing blow (whacking the boss with a staff, not Fire Storm). Old ladies are the best.

Job well done, Cyrus returns the book and heads back to work when he receives another summons from the headmaster. At this point, you know he's gonna get sacked so he can journey the globe. Seems someone (and, again, given the limited number of characters in this scenario, it is immediately obvious who) has accused Cyrus of using his position to hop in bed with the princess. The headmaster places Cyrus on administrative leave, which is a solution everyone is happy about, because now Cyrus can track down more books.

On his way to get packed, Cyrus bumps into Not-the-Princess, who apologizes. Cyrus skillfully deduces that Not-the-Princess made up the rumor, although he can't fathom why she would do that.

Not-the-Princess: I did it so senpai would notice me.
Cyrus: Of course! You are so devoted to your studies that you would go even this far to ensure your tutelage!
Not-the-Princess: You are an actual idiot.

This is also a great scene.

As he departs town, Cyrus is followed by a man that looks like one of the crow guys. Mysterious!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

I'm so glad you turned around. Cyrus is best boi (thematically and mechanically).
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I can't wait till you get to H'annit commentary
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM
so exciting!

i can see how alfyn's boss would be really annoying to fight with a full party - with just him it's super easy because you can just use alfyn's inoculate skill to keep yourself out of trouble, but for the whole party...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Funko Superfan

Bosses scale too so Alfin solo is cake pie
Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Ophilia, the Cleric

Hey, remember when Primrose commented that she'd need warmer clothes for the colder climes? Well, it's colder now, and Prim is still in her seven veils.

Ophilia lives in Coldsville, where she was delivered after her parents died in, like, the war or plague or something. She was adopted by Pope Dad, and while there's no Pope Mom, there is a Pope Sister. The absence of Pope Mom is never mentioned.

Because Ophilia was old enough to realize that her parents were dead, she was a grief-stricken shut-in until Pope Sis got through to her. They became best buds.

Now, every 20 years, someone needs to go on a pilgrimage to kindle the First Flame. (Yes, this is the plot of Dark Souls, but the games otherwise have very little in common.) Last time, it was Pope Dad, and next time, it'll be Pope Sis.

The First Flame is a relic of the war between the gods. There were N gods back long ago, and N-1 were good, but one of them was bad. They got into a fight, and Fire God won the fight using the First Flame, so it's kind of a big deal.

Let me digress a bit. This is an oddly specific trope that I've noticed:

Lords of Xulima
Bad God: Yul, lord of souls
Tries to: Reclaim/preserve all the souls that belong to him (which is all of them)
Extent of success: Well, the entire game is spent fighting Yul, so he doesn't really get what he was hoping for, but there's a plot hook for a sequel where Yul might get his due.
Notes: From a certain perspective, Yul might not be the bad one in this pantheon.

Final Fantasy XV
Bad God: Ifrit
Tries to: Help out the bad guy, I guess?
Extent of success: Ifrit is a roadbump boss fight before the final boss.
Notes: Ifrit is Prometheus, the fire-giver, who betrayed man after man betrayed him. Somehow, this makes Ifrit "the Betrayer" and not mankind.

Disney's Hercules
Bad God: Hades
Tries to: Free the Titans and conquer Olympus
Extent of success: Near miss. He frees the Titans but fails to conquer Olympus.
Notes: Not exactly true to the source material.

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. Feel free to add your own.

In any case, the cosmology is a background detail in Octillery Trevenant. The important thing is that it's been 15 years since Ophilia was adopted, and Pope Sis is due to head out on a pilgrimage any day now. Despite living together for 15 years, Ophilia is surprised when she hears a townsperson tell her that Pope Dad considers them both daughters, which is baffling to me.

So it's very unfortunate that Pope Dad falls ill right before Pope Sis would leave. Ophilia discovers this during a conversation with an itinerant merchant, who has also heard that Pope Dad considers the girls daughters. This guy doesn't even live here and he knows Ophilia's family dynamic better than she does.

Ophilia detects that Pope Sis wants to stay at her father's side, so she concocts a daring plan: she, Ophilia, will go on the pilgrimage instead! She doesn't have permission, and it's a grave sin to do it without asking, but it'll be fine.

In stark contrast with four of the five past stories -- where we went to a cave to recover something that was stolen -- we are now going to a cave to steal something. Ophilia is not much for combat, but she possesses the notable and unique ability to heal the entire party. Alfyn can do that with his !Mix command, but that consumes non-renewable resources. Ophilia might be worse at dealing with statuses, but she's still probably earned a spot on the team.

Ophilia's path ability is the "good" version of Primrose's. Whereas Primrose seduces people into helping her, Ophilia churches them into helping her. Everybody's happy!

Anyway, Ophilia goes into the Cave of Origin, which is from Pokémon, to get the First Flame, which is from Dark Souls. (If you haven't played Octogenarian Triathlete, Dark Souls, or Pokémon ORAS, you might think I'm making this up. I am not.) Because this is an RPG, there's a boss there to test Ophilia's worthiness, and it talkes in fake olde Englishe. This ends up being a preview of worse things to come.

Ophilia returns with the First Flame and no small amount of trepidation, because she went behind the back of Pope Sis and the entire church.

Ophilia: I took the First Flame, so I'm gonna do the pilgrimage thing.
Pope Sis: I am shocked, and perhaps appalled!
Pope Dad: That is a big sin. Pope Sis, I need to talk to Ophilia alone.
Pope Sis: Okay.
Pope Dad: You did a big sin.
Ophilia: Yes.
Pope Dad: That's cool. Don't worry about it. Also, I am dying for real. Don't tell Pope Sis.
Ophilia: Okay.
Pope Sis: I was happy that you did the thing. Does that make me a bad person?
Ophilia: Wow, I really expected to get in more trouble for this.

And now, Ophilia needs to visit three other cities, and then her story is done. Seems straightforward!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Fire God's religion is surprisingly chill.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Because this is an RPG, there's a boss there to test Ophilia's worthiness, and it talkes in fake olde Englishe. This ends up being a preview of worse things to come.
Worse... or better?

(I'm admittedly partial to Ms. Renfaire Hunter and her story)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuarzo Falcone View Post
Worse... or better?

(I'm admittedly partial to Ms. Renfaire Hunter and her story)
H'aanit, the Hunter

Worse.

Many games that use ye fake olde English get the grammar wrong, and it's irksome in every case with the sole exception of Brave Fencer Musashi, where it's clearly intentional. Few get the grammar this wrong. I was tempted to write this update in H'aanit-speak, but I don't think I could bear it.

So I will writen juste this paragraph in the tongue of her people. Our party hath completened Ophilia's chapter, so we will ventureth to H'aanit's towne of Jungleville. If thou hast not played Occultist Treasurer, thou thinketh that I am makening this soundeth worse than it actually ist, but I sweareth I doth not. If anything, it is worse. It os so bad that I will not puten H'aanit in mine party when I finishen this chapter, even though she art pretty funne.

There's really no justification for the olde-speak here. This isn't Ye Oldesville; it's just a town in the woods. Who knows why they made this decision? It really gives you a new appreciation for good localization.

H'aanit is a huntress. She is the second-best hunter in Jungleville, right behind her teacher Foolish Master, and the game makes a point of reminding her that she's second-best. It seems a little insulting.

Foolish Master is called away to fight Redeye, which is not really described, but which we might well imagine has red eyes. Or at least one red eye. H'aanit tells Foolish Master not to gamble away all of the proceeds from this hunt, which has apparently been an issue in the past. Foolish Master is gonna be fine, he assures us. TTYL, BRB.

But now it's been a year, and Foolish Master isn't back. H'aanit finds herself in charge of training the younger hunters of the village. H'aanit's path action is Provoke, which is the "evil" version of Olberic's Challenge. It's pretty morally questionable to challenge old ladies to a duel, so you might well imagine that the townsfolk are even less excited about you throwing wild animals in their faces without (and by way of) provocation. Still, this is how we train the young hunters in the village. Getting jumped by a mountain lion twice their size will learn them a thing or two. Having done that, we find that some guy from another town wants us to kill a beast that escaped from somewhere.

Let's talk about my party composition for a bit. In Ophilia's chapter, I discovered that I'm unable to remove Tressa from my party, seemingly because she is the "protagonist" due to having been picked first. This is unfortunate, because while there's nothing wrong with Tressa, there's not very much exciting about her, either. Of my other three party slots, Olberic and Cyrus have earned their places on my team by virtue of being very good at what they do (namely, making things die), so we have one floating spot. At the moment, it's Ophilia, but she gets tossed aside to make room for H'aanit, because H'aanit is compulsory in her own chapter, as one might expect.

One might reasonably expect that the escaped beast could be found in a nearby cave, since that is the way this game has worked so far, but in fact this is the first chapter so far where we will not so much as set foot in a cave. Instead, the beast is in the woods right next to the town. We prepare for the hunt by siccing savage beasts on everyone in the town, including/especially our client.

H'aanit is troubled that the beast is killing indiscriminately. H'aanit may be a hunter, but she's all about the circle of life, where some animals eat plants, other animals eat those animals, and the animal-eating animals die, causing their flesh to nourish the plants and their bones to turn into trees. I'm perplexed by that last bit; it seems Jungleville has a somewhat questionable grasp of biology.

H'aanit's special ability is to capture animals in battle, which she can collect and unleash. It's sort of like the Summon ability possessed by Primrose and Ophilia, except that H'aanit can collect an entire coterie of animal friends, and unlike the summons, they don't stick around for multiple rounds. I found that the animal pals are pretty potent. At full boost, H'aanit's fox-archer pal hit the boss for nearly as much as the much-higher-level Olberic's fully-boosted Cross Slash, which is our party's current strongest attack. This has me suspecting that the animal pals probably don't scale very well, but they're fun and versatile, and if H'aanit just spoke the Queen's English, she might have found a spot in our party. It's probably just as well, since "H'aanit" is a pain to type.

Anyway, as you might expect, when H'aanit finishes killing the beast boss, she decides it's time to leave town and search for Foolish Master. This is at least partly because Foolish Master's animal companion happens to return to town at that time, filled with fear and loathing. Could something have happened to Foolish Master??

No. Smart money says he's still alive next time we see him.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

H'aanit's speech is cool and good. It's obviously a stylistic choice, and it's novel, and I like it.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

It was probably the one aspect of the game's writing I was fond of.