The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Turm-Oil by Royal Decree

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Too bad the one I liked best initially, Sagani, was almost a perfect duplicate of my protagonist
Ha, same. I still ended up just running double Ranger a bunch anyway, though, because fuck it. Her fox and my bear were best pals.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 AM

It seems like folks didn't like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that much, but I thought it was fine. Great, even. I liked the fact that the tombs had a bit more complexity.

Screw piranhas, though.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

I have beaten Into the Breach the easiest possible way but I am not done with it by a long shot.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 AM

I finally finished all the cases in Jake Hunter: Ghost of the Dusk. While it lacks a lot of interactivity, the more grounded cases made for a nice change of pace from the ridiculousness of the Ace Attorney games. And outside of a few typos, the localization was solid as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
This Guy

I replayed Zack & Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. It is still charming as hell. And it had long enough in between play throughs (roughly a decade, according to save data) that I forgot all the solutions to the puzzles, so it was almost like playing it for the first time. I think I miss the early days of the Wii.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM
The Great

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is done. It's super uneven, with a bunch of really bizarre design decisions and bugs even after installing a few mods to tweak/fix things. Most of those are more annoying than disastrous now that the game's been patched a few times, but it was still really disheartening to finally buy the most expensive piece of equipment in the game only to find out its effect stops working entirely after you save.

Some of the bugs are more fun though, like the time I figured out I could turn my entire party into black dragons for 17 minutes:

Also pictured: my main character's pet mastodon. There are a bunch of variants for each class, and went with a Sorcerer that had an animal companion because a mage with a mastodon sounded sweet even if I expected it to fall off in usefulness pretty quickly. It really didn't though! It was good or great through the entire game and consistently scaled up in effectiveness when the rest of my party was often hampered by wonky gear availability.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Spear of Justice

Cleared out Spyro: Year of the Dragon on PS1 last night with 117% completion and all Skill Points, completing my full run of the original trilogy. Maybe I'll pick up Reignited on a sale eventually, but I am done with this style of platformer for a little bit...especially those awful minigames.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM

I beat Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom last night. I'm not entirely sure how I want to grade this one out. I thought it started very slowly (which isn't out of the norm for the series, to be honest), but really picked up steam and complexity towards the end. Some of the puzzles are quite tricky. I didn't like, however, that I was forced to go on a scavenger hunt to proceed in the last area. Granted, I'd already turned up most of what I needed, but I thought it was unnecessary and dragged the game down a bit.

I'm also having a hard time not comparing it to Hollow Knight. I liked the movement tech more in that game, but that dark atmosphere got to be a bit much, especially after 30 hours of it. On the other hand, even if the moment-to-moment gameplay wasn't always quite as good in Monster Boy, I loved the cheerfulness of it all. And that soundtrack is absolutely kicking. I definitely picked out the Sakuraba and Yamane tracks right off. Also, despite what I said about the scavenger hunt, at least it was more clearly sign-posted than the best ending requirements for Hollow Knight. (Yes, I know much of the obtuseness was by design in HK.)

If I had to settle on a score, it'd be... probably an 8.5. I think I gave Hollow Knight a 9.0. That seems pretty fair.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I thought it started very slowly (which isn't out of the norm for the series, to be honest), but really picked up steam and complexity towards the end. Some of the puzzles are quite tricky.
I'm at the ghost house right now and it's very much like huh, this game gots some ambition huh
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I'm at the ghost house right now and it's very much like huh, this game gots some ambition huh
Definitely one of the high points. That area is crazy interlinked, and slowly unravels as you keep exploring. It took me quite a while to get through it.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

Tekken 7's story mode is not very fun. All the important characters are super boring. A Gundam, Anime Chris Redfield, and Claudio are kind of fun, but they're effectively supporting members. Devil Kazuya was a huge pain in the ass, especially during the THIRD PHASE of the FOURTH CONSECUTIVE FIGHT WITH HIM. I really loved how, at that point, his entire moveset has super armor. I won eventually, but I don't know how or why. I ended up using Assist a bunch for story mode because you're pretty much only allowed to play as muscle dad and muscle sons during it. Everyone who is not busy setting the stage for Tekken 8 is a huge asshole, and it makes it hard to care what's going on. Which is fair since presumable series protagonist, Rock Howard, spent all game napping after beating up Justice at the end of Street Fighter 4.

The story mode features about 10 characters, which is bad since it has at least 11 playable characters, maybe even more. There are side stories that cover what everyone else is doing, but they're all just one fight, and I have a sneaking suspicion most of them are "X was busy fighting in the tournament the game is named after."

I'm excited to unmap Assist forever and get back to The Real Tekken 7: Lili, Noctis, Katarina, A Gundam, and Business Kazuyal playing EXTREME ROCK PAPER SCISSORS at volcanoes and stuff while they wait for 2B and/or Goku to show up.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Tekken 7's story mode is not very fun. All the important characters are super boring. A Gundam, Anime Chris Redfield, and Claudio are kind of fun, but they're effectively supporting members. Devil Kazuya was a huge pain in the ass, especially during the THIRD PHASE of the FOURTH CONSECUTIVE FIGHT WITH HIM. I really loved how, at that point, his entire moveset has super armor. I won eventually, but I don't know how or why. I ended up using Assist a bunch for story mode because you're pretty much only allowed to play as muscle dad and muscle sons during it. Everyone who is not busy setting the stage for Tekken 8 is a huge asshole, and it makes it hard to care what's going on. Which is fair since presumable series protagonist, Rock Howard, spent all game napping after beating up Justice at the end of Street Fighter 4.

The story mode features about 10 characters, which is bad since it has at least 11 playable characters, maybe even more. There are side stories that cover what everyone else is doing, but they're all just one fight, and I have a sneaking suspicion most of them are "X was busy fighting in the tournament the game is named after."

I'm excited to unmap Assist forever and get back to The Real Tekken 7: Lili, Noctis, Katarina, A Gundam, and Business Kazuyal playing EXTREME ROCK PAPER SCISSORS at volcanoes and stuff while they wait for 2B and/or Goku to show up.
Tekken 7's story is so bad, it actually ruins the lore of the previous games!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Funko Superfan

Iíve been going back and beating games I left hanging last year. Today I got the bad end in Steamworld 4: Steamworld Dig 2. Somewhere along the way it went from fun and good to absolutely stellar and itís hard to point out exactly where than transition happened.

Looks like the good ending is going to take some work, but thatís great as Iím no where ready to put it down yet.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Funko Superfan

I got 100% of the secrets and unlocked the postgame challenges and holy heck theyíre super hardcore. Apparently theyíre just for bragging rights too, so Iím happy to call this one complete and scratch it off the backlog.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

I beat Mega Man X3 Zero Project and streamed it. Warning: cheesy voice acting from me, may or may not be better than official Mega Man X VA. Zero Project adds saving and lets you play as either X, Zero, or both for the whole game. Zero is pretty incredibly powerful for the whole playthrough with some weird caveats. I constantly compared him as being something like a greatsword - he can dish out absurd damage, but thanks to his movement quirks, he has to commit hard to those attacks. Zero can use almost any weapon (not Hyper Armor X's ultimate attack, though, as I discovered), but he can never charge them. A fully upgraded X, even without Hyper Armor, feels like he probably surpasses Zero in terms of survivability, since Zero doesn't get any upgrades unless you get the Hyper Armor - Light throws in a free coat of black paint for Zero's armor, and that does something, probably. I thought Zero's saber got stronger afterwards, but that may have been a placebo effect. The game also, surprisingly, features a New Game + mode! I did experience a glitch, but I'm told it also happens in vanilla X3: swapping characters in a boss hallway can cause the game to softlock.

Even if you don't intend on playing as Zero heavily, I think I can easily recommend this as the definitive version of X3, just because of saving and New Game + alone.

Have a spoilery save file screenshot:

Last edited by LancerECNM; 01-26-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:04 PM

I finished Mega Man 11.

Honestly, I feel about this one the same way I did about Mega Man 10: solid stuff, but not quite rekindling the magic like Mega Man 9 did. I definitely got used to the controls finally, and they felt good. The double gear system seemed fine, although I rarely used the power gear. I feel like I could make better runs if I learned to use the system better.

I think my biggest issue is that the economy feels busted. I had a ton of chips to spend, more than enough to top off my lives and energy tanks and just cheese my way through most of the challenges. I feel like if the game had offered a bit more resistance, maybe I'd feel better about it. As it is, it almost feels like I cheated my way through.

Still, this particular retro revival turned out much better than I'd have ever thought. I'd say it resides in around the 8/10 range for me. It's more Mega Man 8 than Mega Man 2, but that's okay.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
I finished Mega Man 11.

Honestly, I feel about this one the same way I did about Mega Man 10: solid stuff, but not quite rekindling the magic like Mega Man 9 did. I definitely got used to the controls finally, and they felt good. The double gear system seemed fine, although I rarely used the power gear. I feel like I could make better runs if I learned to use the system better.

I think my biggest issue is that the economy feels busted. I had a ton of chips to spend, more than enough to top off my lives and energy tanks and just cheese my way through most of the challenges. I feel like if the game had offered a bit more resistance, maybe I'd feel better about it. As it is, it almost feels like I cheated my way through.

Still, this particular retro revival turned out much better than I'd have ever thought. I'd say it resides in around the 8/10 range for me. It's more Mega Man 8 than Mega Man 2, but that's okay.
I feel like in-game economies being busted in that favor is better than them being busted in like...the Bayonetta games; where everything costs way too fucking much.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
I feel like in-game economies being busted in that favor is better than them being busted in like...the Bayonetta games; where everything costs way too fucking much.
This is true. One could always institute a challenge by not buying so much stuff. I was actually thinking about that a bit while playing. The NES games, when I first started, I would often run stages a few times to stock up on 1-ups or E-Tanks, but as I got better at them, I just straight ran them, and often did tank-less runs. I could see doing the same here.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:38 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

I'm counting Mega Man X 6 as beaten. With the Mega Man X6 Tweaks hack, the game is... slightly more bearable, but not by much. The most flagrant bullshit has been eliminated, but I still managed to show up to the first Gate stage with an Armor / Part configuration that was unable to get up the first spike wall in the stage. I got part way through Gate stage 2 and decided I respected myself more than I respected Mega Man X 6. If you're going to play X 6, play it with the Tweaks hack, or better yet, play X 4 or 5.

The only thing of value here is how cool the Blade Armor looks, but you can take a look at that on Spriter's Resource, I'm sure.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:42 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
This is true. One could always institute a challenge by not buying so much stuff. I was actually thinking about that a bit while playing. The NES games, when I first started, I would often run stages a few times to stock up on 1-ups or E-Tanks, but as I got better at them, I just straight ran them, and often did tank-less runs. I could see doing the same here.
Well yeah, you're skill building at that point, not "trying to raise enough money to buy a matching pair of weapons for your high heels" or an alternate outfit (which, fuck Bayonetta 2's unlock mechanic for THOSE! Good game, but god damn...)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

In Bayonetta 1 you could at least grind Temperantia for easy halos. Just slap on your lightning claws and ice skates and a couple of beneficial accessories, then go to town raking up a ludicrously large combo on the stupid golem.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

And 2 had Amiibo support. Which really sped up the process.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

Finished off the original King's Field (J) earlier today. It was thrilling from start to finish, and I've been really impressed with how fully-fledged its dungeon design is. I was expecting it to be in some ways rudimentary or half-conceived, full of good ideas struggling to be born, but this wasn't the case at all. The second and fourth floors in particular are as smart as anything in a modern Souls game, and have a similar structure, sending you exploring their catacombs in a wide arc and slowly unraveling their puzzles before you discover - a stone's throw from where you started - the path to the next area. It's full of great worldbuilding detail, too, like the sketchy, incomplete maps you come across, missing lots of important passages because their dead cartographers didn't reach them. I'm struck also by how much the game does visually, given its limitations - it presents an astonishingly beautiful and peerlessly stylised world, and it's a bit saddening that the response is so often this unexamined boring consensus opinion that it has "aged horribly", or that it looked awful even at the time, etc. (It does look very of its time, of course, but it's not as if the game's vision simply wasn't achieved due to technical limitations - it pulls off what it sets out to do very effectively, establishing a deeply expressive style with confidence and finesse.)

It's become one of my favourite games, the series having been on my radar for ages without previously getting its hooks into me (besides listening to their soundtracks a lot), and I'm excited about devouring the rest of the series, many of which I'm already unwisely haemorrhaging money on. I'm particularly excited to dive deeper into KF2, which so far seems to be an even more ingenious and powerfully atmospheric game, with the kind of neatly interlocking, labyrinthine area design I can't get enough of. I wish I'd had it 20 years ago. What a series!

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 01-27-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I beat Into The Breach... on easy. That's really not a huge accomplishment, but I finish so few games these days I thought I'd mention it. I ended up buying the Blitzkrieg squad with coins from my first failed run, and I was able to pick up a weapon that let my hook mech jump and push other units around. That opened up a ton of possibilities, and when I added in increased damage with the other two I pretty much wiped the map repeatedly. Even though it felt way too easy, it was good to practice the basics a bit and figure out how different parts of the game work.

I just started my next run, and I have a long ways to go before I'm really finished with the game. It's super good!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Finished off the original King's Field (J) earlier today. It was thrilling from start to finish, and I've been really impressed with how fully-fledged its dungeon design is. I was expecting it to be in some ways rudimentary or half-conceived, full of good ideas struggling to be born, but this wasn't the case at all. The second and fourth floors in particular are as smart as anything in a modern Souls game, and have a similar structure, sending you exploring their catacombs in a wide arc and slowly unraveling their puzzles before you discover - a stone's throw from where you started - the path to the next area. It's full of great worldbuilding detail, too, like the sketchy, incomplete maps you come across, missing lots of important passages because their dead cartographers didn't reach them. I'm struck also by how much the game does visually, given its limitations - it presents an astonishingly beautiful and peerlessly stylised world, and it's a bit saddening that the response is so often this unexamined boring consensus opinion that it has "aged horribly", or that it looked awful even at the time, etc. (It does look very of its time, of course, but it's not as if the game's vision simply wasn't achieved due to technical limitations - it pulls off what it sets out to do very effectively, establishing a deeply expressive style with confidence and finesse.)

It's become one of my favourite games, the series having been on my radar for ages without previously getting its hooks into me (besides listening to their soundtracks a lot), and I'm excited about devouring the rest of the series, many of which I'm already unwisely haemorrhaging money on. I'm particularly excited to dive deeper into KF2, which so far seems to be an even more ingenious and powerfully atmospheric game, with the kind of neatly interlocking, labyrinthine area design I can't get enough of. I wish I'd had it 20 years ago. What a series!
I have a friend of mine that loves the King's Field series, and has been trying to get me into them for the last five years or more. I finally jumped in via King's Field IV, and wasn't very impressed at first (as is par for the course). However, around ten hours in, it just "clicked", and I was hooked. I'd look forward to getting home to play it. I'll dive into other games from the series some day.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:17 PM

Ace Combat 4 was very good, but the missions get very repetitive after a while. Only so many dog fights I can stomach before I start getting bored, especially since AC was never going to have serious mechanics to sink your teeth into. Ace Combat 5 adds significant variety to its levels, and the results are incredible. Some of the levels are a bit gimmick-y, unfortunately, but they couldn't all be winners. About as close to a Top Gun experience as I've seen in a game so far.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJ View Post
Ace Combat 4 was very good, but the missions get very repetitive after a while. Only so many dog fights I can stomach before I start getting bored, especially since AC was never going to have serious mechanics to sink your teeth into. Ace Combat 5 adds significant variety to its levels, and the results are incredible. Some of the levels are a bit gimmick-y, unfortunately, but they couldn't all be winners. About as close to a Top Gun experience as I've seen in a game so far.
Strong agree.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I beat Paper Mario: Sticker Star. It was a lot of fun, despite how frustrating it could be. I like that it has adventure game style puzzles in some way, but I wished they weren't so obtuse. I had to look into an faq way more often than I would have liked. I didn't have much problem with the most bosses. Exceptions are the squid (I would never have guessed the weakness) and Bowser (again, never would have guessed which Things I should have used, though here it isn't that bad).

Also, my biggest problem might be how the sticker museum works. I wished it would just add a copy of every sticker you ever had in your inventory automatically into the museum, instead of sacrificing the sticker. That isn't that much of a problem with normal stickers, but I never used any Thing sticker because I tried to fill out the museum, and getting a second copy of the Thing was either too expensive or too annoying, because I would have to go back to the level.

I also would have liked to just be able to buy any sticker, including the Thing ones, from Kersti inside of a battle. That would be very convenient and would let you experiment more.

These problems felt pretty big during my playtime, but they actually weren't that bad, as I still came back to the game and continued playing, because I did enjoy myself. The battles are fun, and that you can only attack with consumables is not much of a problem, as you get more than enough for free inside the levels.

I don't think I will ever play it again, but it was a fun experience.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 AM
Meal break

Crystal Warriors is a 1992 Fire Emblem-em-up for the Game Gear that I played on 3DS. I found it pretty interesting, and occasionally quite challenging. You play the princess of somewhere thatís been invaded by an evil empire. Almost wiped out, you advance your troops from castle to castle to eventually wipe out the invaders. The plot and a lot of the presentation is totally minimal: every town has the exact same layout (different stuff for sale and different info from the NPCs in each, though), and aside from a text scroll at the start and the end thereís very little formal story aside from a little bit of NPC chatter in the towns. You control up to nine units (though you can recruit more) who start at one end of the map deployed in a square, against up to nine enemy units who deploy at the other end of the map also in a square. Thereís a weakness triangle, with fire units strong against wind units, who are strong against cold units, who are strong against fire units. There are also earth units, who arenít strong or weak against the other elements and are almost all magic users.

You only get EXP for kills, and every kill is worth four points and every level up requires ten, so you get two levels per five kills. Aside from enemy soldiers, there are also monsters on some of the maps, weak unaligned units which will become tame if defeated by a non-magician. They can then be deployed against enemies instead of whichever unit tamed them, which is a useful way to get around unfavourable elemental matchups. Itís a pretty neat system that I almost entirely ignored in favour of having my healers kill all the monsters because it was the safest way to get them level-ups.

The game has some quality of life issues that I think relate to time and platform. When you highlight one of your units on the field, you get a picture of them, but no information. Highlight an enemy and you get nothing. To find out a unitís element and HP you have to open a menu. You also canít undo movement or check on another unit if if youíve gone into an action menu, so if you forget which character needed healing or which enemy was on the verge of death you have to take a guess or else waste your turn. Still, I enjoyed it. One little detail I liked was that you start each stage in the castle you conquered in the previous stage, so thereís a sort of continuity. The maps were also fairly well designed, I think. I usually found myself looking for chokepoints so I wasnít fighting too many enemies at once and they didnít have access to my squishier units, but itís rare that you can kill an enemy in one attack, so you need to be able to get enough units in to position to take them out in one round or else theyíre likely to by fully healed during the enemy turn. It meant I always had to think a bit.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Kind of disappointed with Monsterboy & The Cursed Kingdom, but not for reasons that are easy to articulate. The game certainly had enough content (20 hours is well beyond what a single runthrough of a troid-em-up should take) and the levels were all extremely thoughtfully designed, loaded with well considered navigation challenges and puzzles, but a lot of the platforming required MUCH more deft control then the game offered. Your various forms gave you lots of combat options but you're about five or six hours into the game before you get one that's actually suited for combat. And, as nice as the game looks, I kept comparing it to the Dragons Trap remake from a couple of years ago, and that looks so much nicer.

All in all, it's a good game, but I was still disappointed.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , game over , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , too much free time , true end , victory cry , whittling the backlog , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner