The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I have mis-remembered which koala-themed show was the most fucked up shit. Little Koala was the one about all the Aussie-themed animals, not the one about the time-traveling bears who buddy up with the little girl.
It sounds like an Ikuhara joint from how you're describing it
Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
I have mis-remembered which koala-themed show was the most fucked up shit. Little Koala was the one about all the Aussie-themed animals, not the one about the time-traveling bears who buddy up with the little girl.
Yeah no, the most extreme plot that happened on Adventures of the Little Koala was like, the dad koala is on a diet and is tired of eating salads.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Better be the real thing.

Yeah, 80's Nickelodeon had a ton of now-somewhat-obscure chlidren's anime. I had a friend in high school who was nostalgic for The Little Bits.

Me, I'm old enough to remember being obsessed with Voltron and renting a volume of Robotech then getting freaked out at the robot's arm being blown off.

But the very first one I have a memory of watching, without knowing at the time what anime was, or even what Japan was other than that place Godzilla movies are made, was Robbie the Rascal.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Reading up on the early Saban days. That dude was the king of trash TV arbitrage.
Yeah, it is no shit fascinating to look into how shows got bought and sold around the world in the early days of satellite and cable. Like how World Class Championship Wrestling drew Johnny Carson ratings in random parts of the middle east.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Yeah, 80's Nickelodeon had a ton of now-somewhat-obscure chlidren's anime. I had a friend in high school who was nostalgic for The Little Bits.
I have a crystal-clear memory from the age of five or so of my mom seeing the first three seconds of that intro and saying "I am NOT watching this" before making me go outside to play.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It sounds like an Ikuhara joint from how you're describing it
I guess I was half-right because I recalled Noozles, which was apparently shown as a segment of Little Koala. Either way I recall feeling it was "deeply fucked" when the time traveling bears showed off how they were born from a robotic cloning machine they called their mother.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Yeah, it is no shit fascinating to look into how shows got bought and sold around the world in the early days of satellite and cable. Like how World Class Championship Wrestling drew Johnny Carson ratings in random parts of the middle east.
Between that, the supremacy of KOF, and ADCC I posit that the gulf states needed much more mixed fight than they got.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I think the first anime I watched knowing it was anime was a subbed copy of Urusei Yatsura movie 4: Lum the Forever. So that was a thing.

I'm not actually sure if this was before or after I saw Warriors or the Wind, the painfully chopped up dub of Nausicaa that had all the plot excised.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:43 PM
oh my car

My mom's favorite movie is Totoro and I watched it very often before I can remember anything.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:54 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

I'd probably have to say the first thing I identified as "different" would be Spirited Away.

I don't know if I knew it as "anime" at that time, though.

That said, the first thing that I remember watching that was undeniably anime was Sailor Moon, back when it was on Cartoon Network.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Now, as far as anime that I knew was anime: that would be the tail end of a Dirty Pair OVA I saw at a convention when I was ten.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him
Default My First Anime

Every day before school:

Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 PM
till the sheriff stops by

That Wizard the Oz cartoon was a favourite of mine.

I feel I don't need to see the Christopher Columbus cartoon, since that theme song basically told us everything. Except, you know, the evil.

Anyhoo, for me it was either Voltron or as someone else mentioned...

Did Atlas and Slippery ever show up in the manga or were they created for this incarnation of the character?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:26 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

The first anime I watched would have been Speed Racer but my parents were very sensitive to violence on children's TV at the time and wouldn't let us watch it. By the time my brother came along, they were more relaxed and I watched Battle of the Planets with him.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:46 PM

As for anime that I actually paid for, that would be a bottle of the Final Fantasy OVA, before I knew what vFFV was.

The first legal one was the first volume of Tenchi Universe.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:59 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
As for anime that I actually paid for, that would be a bottle of the Final Fantasy OVA, before I knew what vFFV was.
Gimme the hard stuff, barkeep. Break out that Legend of the Crystals shit.

"S-Sir, it's late. Maybe you've had enou--"

*SLAM* God dammit, I'll decide when I've had enough!

"Y... Yes sir. Coming right up."

...And leave the bottle.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM
hang high, soft star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I had no idea at the time, but my first anime turned out to have been Adventures of the Little Koala on Nickelodeon. The first one I actually knew was anime was Ronin Warriors (Yoroiden Samurai Troopers) in the summer of 1995. That got me into the anime section of my local video store where I discovered all the typical mid-90s stuff: Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Genocyber...
One, wow god damn you pulled this out of a deep memory hole of mine, and two, how is NO ONE mentioning Tales of the Brothers Grimm in the same breath as Nickelodeon anime for kids. In retrospective that show poisoned me for liiiiiife.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:09 PM

I figured Anime Grimm's Fairy Tales went without saying.

Even now I can remember the opening notes of the theme song.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
One, wow god damn you pulled this out of a deep memory hole of mine
Mingle best character
Old 11-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Find Your Reason

Mexican TV bought a metric crapload of ancient anime throughout the 80s and early 90s, so it was always a fixture in my entertainment. At worst, it was just "those weird Japanese cartoons" that parents would look askance at because they'd get surreal either in subject matter or animation (or, in cases like Mazinger Z, the unprecedented level of graphic violence.) And they tended to be pretty damn old by the time we got them, too, which probably accounts for us getting so many of them --they were old, therefore, cheap. So you would have relatively recent, or even contemporary cartoons like Thundercats or GI Joe slotted alongside antediluvian Tatsunoko Pro or Nippon Television or Masterpiece Theater shows.

The oldest, and oddest Japanese... thing I remember watching was this... THIS... thing. From 1967. We watched it --and it became deeply ingrained in my generation's consciousness-- well into the 80s. It was bizarre and incomprehensible and while I can't even tell you what it was about, I remember that it operated on absurd dream logic. So of course I bought the DVD boxset when it came out last year And yes, that's a wooden reproduction of a 60s-era TV as the vanity case.

The first anime I sought out as such, knowing of the concept of "anime" beyond the Mexican concept of "weird Japanese cartoons," was naturally Ranma 1/2. And, if it wasn't obvious, it made an impression But before that, when my experience was limited to what ran on TV, the most memorable ones are, in order of "I barely remember it through the fog of childhood" to "I can still sing the theme song": Kujira No Josefina, Little El Cid no Bouken, Honey-Honey no Suteki na Bouken, Meiken Jorī (Belle & Sebastian), Magical Girl Lalabel, Hello! Sandi Belle, Minki Momo, Candy Candy, the aforementioned Mazinger Z, both vehicle and lion Voltrons, Robotech, Gatchaman (as "G-Force"), Nobody's Boy: Remi, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Ai no Gakko - Cuore Monogatari (an adaptation of Edmondo De Amicis's masterpiece novel Cuore), Heidi, Girl of the Alps, and Captain Tsubasa. Heidi only figures so high up in the memory scale because. It. Is. Absolutely. MEMETIC. Every single Mexican KNOWS the Latin American dub song BY HEART and can parody it and reference its arcs at the drop of a hat even if they never actually WATCHED the dang show.

There were a few others I knew about, which ran regularly but I never watched, like Maya the Bee or the Galaxy Express movies. Sometimes we'd get standalone features like Run, Melos! or Choujin Locke --that last one was surreal even by "weird Japanese cartoon" standards. And, looking back on it, it's interesting how many of the shows we got balanced out the very, very boy-heavy American toons they were scheduled with --Sandi Belle ran right during family dinner, followed immediately by Minki Momo, then Honey-Honey and Candy Candy, THEN Transformers and GI Joe. This meant boys would only grudgingly watch "their sisters' cartoons" while eating, and then flee to play outside rather than catch a glimpse of the super-girly Honey/Candy double-whammy. Absolutely everyone watched Remi, though, what with it its relentless tragedy traumatizing BOTH kids and parents. The long-running nature of all these shows, with actual plotlines, quests for missing parents, tragedies, and melodrama, gave audiences the impression that Japanese cartoons were either hyper-gory like Mazinger, or more of a soap opera than the telenovelas that grownups would watch during primetime. Sometimes we'd get Tom Saywer or El Cid, though, and I have very fond memories of watching those during dinner with my parents and having them explain the themes or characters. My mom still gets a thousand-yard stare at Josefina, though.

The last one I saw before Ranma was Saint Seiya Knights of the Zodiac, whose hilariously terrible Castilian Spanish intro dethroned Heidi as the most pervasive song in Mexican cultural consciousness, and whose ridiculously epic Mexdub is still quoted with pride by Gen-Xers and Millennials alike (it made the news when it started running on TV again a couple of months ago. Seriously.) Technically, Samurai Troopers, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slam Dunk, and OG Dragon Ball ran consecutively after Saint Seiya, but by then I had started watching anime in earnest and my paradigm had shifted.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Then I saw TTGL and I was like "Oh shit boys this is it."
YEAH! *high fives*

Anyhow it wasn't the first anime I'd ever seen but the earliest one that sticks with me is Tekkaman Blade (localized as Teknoman). The final battle between Tekkaman Blade and Tekkaman Evil is the kind of stuff that gets my blood pumping. Two hot-blooded men, one of which can purportedly break a mic with his yelling, a power ballad (?) in the background, AND the shot of them between the Earth and the moon charging their strongest attacks? Way too exciting. Gurren Lagann has a shot that's very similar to it as well.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:04 AM
:tweet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
YEAH! *high fives*

Anyhow it wasn't the first anime I'd ever seen but the earliest one that sticks with me is Tekkaman Blade (localized as Teknoman). The final battle between Tekkaman Blade and Tekkaman Evil is the kind of stuff that gets my blood pumping. Two hot-blooded men, one of which can purportedly break a mic with his yelling, a power ballad (?) in the background, AND the shot of them between the Earth and the moon charging their strongest attacks? Way too exciting. Gurren Lagann has a shot that's very similar to it as well.
Fuck yeah, I love Tekkaman Blade! The animation quality varied throughout the series, but it's hard to deny the ending was awesome.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 AM

I'm pretty jealous of how prolific anime appears to have been on Spanish, French, and Italian language TV back in the day. The US largely got bupkis. A Cuban-American friend of mine recently turned me onto Spanish ver. theme songs, and most of them are actually amazing.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The oldest, and oddest Japanese... thing I remember watching was this... THIS... thing. From 1967. We watched it --and it became deeply ingrained in my generation's consciousness-- well into the 80s. It was bizarre and incomprehensible and while I can't even tell you what it was about, I remember that it operated on absurd dream logic. So of course I bought the DVD boxset when it came out last year And yes, that's a wooden reproduction of a 60s-era TV as the vanity case.
Oh, I know this one. I saw a bit of a remake series over a decade ago when I was consuming anime with no sense of quality when Kazaa was a big deal. As I understand it, it was one of the first, if not THE first, Magical Girl shows. No monsters of the weak, though, she just helped people out with her magical baton.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 AM

More Made in Abyss is coming.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:17 AM

After mulling it over with my roommate I've decided not to watch all Endless Eight episodes in a row.

Instead, I will watch each episode 4 times except for the last one (Which will be watched once) which will be a total of 12 hours runtime. I'll start in about 43 minutes at 8:00am and end at about 8:00pm. This is my first step toward achieving enlightenment.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

galadrome

i don't know what sins it is that you have committed

but i assure you

you have already met the necessary acts of contrition to be forgiven

so please

stop this
Old 11-26-2017, 11:38 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
first anime: AKIRA
first anime crush: Kaneda's motorcycle
"Tetsuo: Kaneda has The. Best. Bike. Ever.

Kaneda: Stop being so Freudian, Tetsuo. When my closest friend starts envying the sleek, powerful machine between my legs, there's bound to be trouble later on."
Old 11-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
More Made in Abyss is coming.
I... think I'm looking forward to it? Sort of?

Speaking of odd and sometimes disturbing shows, I caught up on Land of the Lustrous and it continues to be more compelling than I was expecting.

(Not to give anyone the impression that Lustrous is as disturbing as Abyss. Like I think Wist mentioned, it has some very "clean" body horror because the main characters can shatter and reassemble (and later other weird stuff) but it's still a pretty different ballpark. And it helps that the characters all look late teens to twenties rather than like little kids. It sometimes bothers me a bit that every single one looks like a fashion plate, but I assume that's just the manga-ka's stylistic quirk.)
Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 PM

MMO Junkie: THAT CLIFFHANGER THIS WEEK! AHH! I haven't raged at a episode ending in a long time, but god damn.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road