The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Sooooooo hyped for Devilman Crybaby. The new PV made me a giddy boy. The 80s OVAs were so dang classic and everything I'm seeing out of this is precisely what the boys want and what the boys need.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Find Your Reason

I had the opposite reaction to it The character designs were utra-late-2010s when they weren't too Grimoire. I guess I can shift gears from "modern Devilman adaptation" to "another Devilman-inspired story like Amon or Grimoire" but it was definitely jarring.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Oh, I remembered another good ending I forgot:
Shirobako Ending

There are actually five versions of it summarized here.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM

It looks good, but mostly for reasons of 'woah, Masaaki Yuasa getting a bunch of money thrown at him!' than anything else. I have no real attachments to Devilman or the works of Go Nagai. Link for convenience and visibility:

Speaking of Yuasa, fansubs hit the web very recently for both Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome (aka "The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl") and Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta (aka "Lu Over the Wall"). I've only had the time to watch the former; will update later with impressions on the later.

Arukeyo Otome is fantastic. If it weren't for an onslaught of several even more amazing movies earlier this year, I'd probably have been more smitten. If you liked the Tatami Galaxy, you owe it to yourself to watch this movie. It's not a sequel, or even a spiritual one. It's more like a companion/sister work. It's more like if someone took the themes, setting, characters, and visuals of the Tatami Galaxy and rejiggered/compressed it into a film. Being largely the same themes and characters from Tatami Galaxy was a bit of a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand, it's essentially more Tatami Galaxy, which is awesome. But it failed to have the same mind-blowing impact of seeing something completely new for the first time.

It's pretty neat though to see a lot of the same characters again, with a different side to them this time around. And also have a number of The Eccentric Family references as well, implying that story is in the same world too (it's also a Kyoto-tale, but Tatami Galaxy and Eccentric Family feel very distinct/different; this work bridges the two). There's Fake Denki Bran, and an eccentric and powerful old man who lives in a three-story train car who is 100% Juroujin, right down to his sadistic streak, his hoarding of curious artifacts, and having a bath house in the top floor. It's a fairly short film (1hr 30min) and is worth everyone's time. In the future I might actually recommend this over The Tatami Galaxy since it's shorter/easier to digest, is better animated, and [Sempai]'s narration is never overwhelming for viewers like [Watashi]'s. It might not have as profound of a climax*, but the trippy visual metaphors/exaggerated actions and joyful adventures of [Raven-Haired Girl] are simply delightful. Oh ya, music is also god-tier. Everyone should watch this movie, please do when you can.

*However, the title drop at the end gave me shivers.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
It looks good, but mostly for reasons of 'woah, Masaaki Yuasa getting a bunch of money thrown at him!' than anything else. I have no real attachments to Devilman or the works of Go Nagai
I can't guarantee you'll actually enjoy it, but if you've never read Devilman, check it out. It's an essential work in manga history, which I would definitely NOT say about anything else by Nagai.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, Mazinger Z and Devilman are basically the one-two punch that changed pretty much everything about the manga/anime biz.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I don't think OG Cutey Honey is the only place to look for the wellspring of bare-faced twisted sex urges in Japanese comics, but it's sure one place you can look.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:16 AM

Lately I've watched through Space Dandy. The quality of that show varies significantly between the episodes. Episode 5 was my favorite and some of the last few episode were pretty good too.
My favorite characters were Meow and Honey.

Then I randomly saw an anime on MAL named Magic Circle which has a very simple art style and is very RPG inspired, but is actually really good and funny. Only 19 episodes yet, so I need to hold back with watching much of it yet, though.
Didn't even know you could watch animes on MAL (Crunchyroll embedded) before.

Other than that, I decided to give Full Metal Alchemist another try by watching Brotherhood. It's definitely more bearable without all the annoying filler episodes, but I still don't see why it's rated best anime of all times. It just isn't interesting enough to make me keep wanting to watch the next episode. But I currently have no good animes to watch (legally), so I'll use it as a time killer.

Last edited by Rya; 11-23-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 AM

I'm going to be giving Tatami Galaxy a spin after I finish up with Serial Experiments Lain and my sad, yearly tradition of rewatching Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm also going through Yawara! but that's something I don't mind watching at a slow pace.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:19 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
my sad, yearly tradition of rewatching Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
D:

why do you do this to yourself
Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
D:

why do you do this to yourself
Galadrome is trapped in an infinite recursion of time.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Sometimes its important to remember what anime is.

There's also enough stuff in Suzumiya (Namely, Kyon is really funny and a great narrator) that I actually like. The fan service and terrible exposition physically kills my body, however and all the sci-fi shit is cool when your 12 and not cool ever again. I have a huge amount of nostalgia for the show because it's the first anime that I saw as anime. I watched a lot of stuff before it (DBZ, Guyver, Riding Bean, and a bunch of other cool ass shit) but that was all dubbed and my child brain didn't really acknowledge it as anime, per se. This show is perhaps why I am a weeb and its important to pay respects to what ruined me as a human.

EDIT: Speaking of the Endless Eight I always have to do that in one sitting starting at 8:00am so this Sunday will be an exciting time.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
There's also enough stuff in Suzumiya (Namely, Kyon is really funny and a great narrator) that I actually like. The fan service and terrible exposition physically kills my body, however and all the sci-fi shit is cool when your 12 and not cool ever again. I have a huge amount of nostalgia for the show because it's the first anime that I saw as anime. I watched a lot of stuff before it (DBZ, Guyver, Riding Bean, and a bunch of other cool ass shit) but that was all dubbed and my child brain didn't really acknowledge it as anime, per se. This show is perhaps why I am a weeb and its important to pay respects to what ruined me as a human.
This part I can totally relate to -- for all that much of it is awful and wrong there is still a lot of really interesting shit going on in that show and the production values are still impeccable.

Quote:
EDIT: Speaking of the Endless Eight I always have to do that in one sitting starting at 8:00am so this Sunday will be an exciting time.
this part, though, is just self-flagellation and I don't get it.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Tatami Galaxy also has a protagonist trapped in an infinite recursion of time. That might be too much recurrence to you!

But yeah, i also have good memories of Haruhi, and it might have been the first anime i've watched that wasn't aimed at kids.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:45 AM

I personally found that Haruhi Suzumiya anime horrible. It was so overhyped so I had high expectations and the first episode was also awesome, but after that everything was incredibly boring.

I'd totally rewatch the first episode yearly, but not the rest.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM

galadrome what time zone are you in, i may need to ask you to help me with something, say...a few minutes before 8 am your time on sunday
Old 11-23-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
galadrome what time zone are you in, i may need to ask you to help me with something, say...a few minutes before 8 am your time on sunday
EST! Whaddya need boss?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM

at that point in time, the answer is "more sleep"
Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
this part, though, is just self-flagellation and I don't get it.
It was however deeply funny to watch the white hot fury of online every time another endless eight aired.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:56 AM

I was completely out of the anime loop during the Haruhi heyday, and tried to watch it for the first time a couple years ago....didn't even last through the first episode. Found the whole internal monologue thing unbearable, and the eponymous heroine already felt like a deeply unlikable character. Along with Steins;Gate, that was a wildly popular show that triggered my rejection mechanism something fierce.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It was however deeply funny to watch the white hot fury of online every time another endless eight aired.
oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for it as a feat of kicking dorkdom in the collective balls, I just don't feel like you gotta express that respect by standing there and letting it kick you.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for it as a feat of kicking dorkdom in the collective balls, I just don't feel like you gotta express that respect by standing there and letting it kick you.
haruhi_B4LL_BU$T_ASMR.rm (11,382,004 views 6,392,291 shares)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
and the eponymous heroine already felt like a deeply unlikable character.
Haruhi was my first anime crush back when was a child and no one can ever take that away okay? Okay?

In retrospect, I'm not really sure what was going on in my head brain.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I have a huge amount of nostalgia for [Haruhi] because it's the first anime that I saw as anime.
Man, that's rough. I'm grateful that my first 'anime' were a lot more respectable. It's probably why I still engage with it as a hobby so much, because the foundations are so solid. Getting the 80s and 90s Ghibli films when I was a young kid, on top of classics like Speed Racer, Astroboy, and more 'modern' shows like Ranma 1/2 and Kenshin ()formed my baseline. Then again, I had the benefit of a Japanese dad going out of his way to show his kid Japanese media within a Japanese context, so that probably helped. If Haruhi was my first anime, I'd have probably noped out of this whole thing long ago.

Quote:
Self-harm is not good, yo.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:35 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Man, I've been racking my brain but I can't place what my first anime was.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:16 PM

I rented a lot of stuff on VHS from the local video store and the LCS back in the day. A lot of that stuff was not great. Like, anyone remember Silent Service? Holy shit that was bad. Even kid-me could recognize how toxic and disgusting its brand of right-wing Japanese nationalism this movie/OVA series was. But that garbage mostly got outweighed in my mind by the sublime like Macross Plus. Oh, I forgot to mention Evangelion, that too. What a head-trip that was for a tween in 1997.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM
King Of Space-Time

Time to duel!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Time to duel!

S+

this is the best series
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Mueller-mas

The earliest anime I watched without realizing it was anime that I can remember today was probably Doraemon? Iím sure there were tons of other stuff too that I just donít recognize/remember today. I remember being especially enamored with a very shoujo-ey adaption of The Secret Garden I donít have any idea what the name of it was that would play on Chinese TV that I watched during summer break in the early nineties. First Ghibli movie was Kikiís again a Taiwanese dub. First anime on American TV I could distinctly tell was anime was Sailor Moon. First fansubs was Sailor Stars. First fansubs I downloaded online on my own was Escaflowne (Sailor Stars fanswapped VHSís belonging to a high school friend). I wish I could remember what the first simulcast anime I watched was but back then Crunchyroll was in a nebulous grey zone where they hosted fansubs and some legit licensed stuff but Imma go out on a limb and say Time of Eve. First anime I watched in the same room as one of Japanese creators who was also watching said same episode for the first time was Fate/Zeroís 2nd season two-parter premiere. Thatís all the first anime milestones I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 PM
does the Underpants Dance

The first anime I remember seeing was Galaxy Express 999. I think it was the movie version. It played on...was it the Sci-fi Channel or MTV that used to show anime? It was before Toonami and Cartoon Network got big. It was a late-night thing, and I'm pretty sure they played stuff like Aeon Flux and Akira too?

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road