The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Don Hertzfeldt is a dang ol' genius. Chances are, you've already seen his movies over on youtube or elsewhere (Rejected, Billy's Balloon). He works almost completely alone, but you wouldn't know from the quality and attention to detail he gives to all of his projects. He ran the Animation Show road project with Mike Judge for a few years, showcasing independent animation across the spectrum. It was . . . okay, if you dig Bill Plympton and the like. (I don't.) Don made some amusing vignettes, at least! Since then he's moved on to heavily existential stuff that's getting rave reviews. Have some extra scratch lying around? Head over to http://www.bitterfilms.com/ and buy some DVDs or other merch. It seems to be his only source of income.

Q: What are the best DVD sets for the animation fan?

Does anyone have the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs? How are they?

Last edited by JDS; 11-18-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

There's an interesting little german animated film called Felidae that's quite good, even if you might not want your little kids to watch it (they pull no punches at all with gore, dismemberment, and medical experimentation, talking animal flick or not).

In terms of American film, aside from Don Bluth there are quite a few Rankin-Bass ones I like (The Hobbit, Flight of Dragons, The Last Unicorn). And I'll say right now that I still think Bakshi's Wizards was a good movie if only for the final epic showdown between Avatar and Blackwolf ("One last thing. I'm glad you changed your name, you son of a bitch.").

On TV, there were a lot of shows I liked as a kid, and a few I think got less credit than they deserve like Exo-Squad (if only it hadn't been hampered by the need to be merchandisable as a toy line, man...). Also I have to admit that one of my guilty pleasures is a nostalgic fondness for Macek's Robotech that most Anime fans seem to think is proof that there is no god. It was my first real exposure to japanese animation in any form, and while I never got into the franchise it really captured my interest when it was new.

Last edited by Brer; 11-18-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Oh yeah? I remember after Triplets came out I was talking with an animation-loving fellow-artist friend, and him saying that the next animated film by those guys was set during WWII or something and was about a veterinarian and animals. Guess that's on hold or got replaced by this?
IIRC the funding fell through for that project.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

I have never gotten Bakshi, but he seems to get enough acclaim from everyone else that he probably doesn't care. That one Ren and Stimpy short starring the caricature of Bakshi is gross as hell.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Orb Friend

Something about Wizards just hit me the wrong way. The whole time I watched it when younger I felt like killing myself, or somebody at the least. It kind of underlined for me the fact that just because you're one of the first to do something doesn't mean you're the best. American Pop is the way to go if you want to watch some Bakshi.

Rankin-Bass will always have a special hold on my heart, 'cos I watched the shit out of their 2D movies when little. I still think their The Hobbit and The Return Of The King are great to show kids to get them into Tolkein, 'cos of how lovingly true to the source material they were. Yes funky disco singing orcs, but those things got pretty epic in places and didn't hold back. The art style was very strange and fantasyish, and felt very Tolkeiny. They had some really excellent voice actors, too: Roddy MacDowall as Samwise was all kinds of perfect (turns out Roddy voiced a lot of my childhood), and Brother Theodore as Gollum is still the best Gollum. Sorry Andy Serkis.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 PM

One of the things that sticks with me is the music from some of these series and films. For example, Ulpio Minucci's excellent orchestral work to accompany the American version of Robotech. Even if the bastardization of SDF Macross bothers you, I think his main theme, battle themes, and his quieter character pieces are really excellent pieces of work.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I've got the first three collections, and they're very good- at least to someone like me that loves them so much. The cartoons themselves are restored and look really good- which was probably the biggest highlight of it for me. Admittedly the main reason I initially got them was that they weren't really shown on TV anymore and I wanted a good way to see them, but in the end I think it was a nice deal. Anyways, I would recommend the first two volumes for someone to get first (I hoped this answered your question!)
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Default Jet car rollin' all night long,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
The DCAU was awesome and I miss it.
I'm also going to take a moment here to say 12 oz. Mouse. I will likely be the only person who says 12 oz. Mouse. That's because 12 oz. Mouse is not for you.

Last edited by BEAT; 11-18-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Crankin' up the tunes, and singin' along. Car full of bitches and a brand new bong.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji-Fox View Post
Rocko is excellent, but Flapjack is incredible.
This is completely wrong. There is no "Rocko is excellent but..." There are no buts. There is only Rocko.

Mutha fugga's gonna tell me that Flapjack is better than Rocko. Sheeeeeit.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
oh my car

I seem to recall there were a few instances where there were butts in Rocko's Modern Life, though.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Orb Friend

Half the characters didn't wear pants, and there were also The Little Poots...so yeah.

I loved Rocko as a kid, and still have a fondness for it as an adult, though it's a bit less than perfect in places in retrospect. Dr. "you want a female character with a hook, you got it" Hutchinson is great.

90% of Ren & Stimpy doesn't really hold up anymore, alas. I loved the frickin' hell out of Doug, but the sequel sucked and yeah, there's a chance it's not so good in retrospect either. Rugrats was awesome when it started! I loved Rugrats! It was actually way better than people give it credit for, and just unfortunately went downhill when they started doing all those movies and brought in the little brother and all sorts of crazy pre-Spongebob obsession focused on it.

You know what was an underrated Nicktoons gem? AAHHH! Real Monsters!. A grungy cartoon about gross, creepy little monsters fuckin' with people is my kinda show.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Rawrther.

My favorite episode of Rocko's Modern Life was where that animator made that accidently awesome show about deli meat trying to get fired, but everyone loved it, driving him further into madness
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
who's she

I could waste time agreeing with people in this thread or I could just link to one of my favorite animated scenes.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
I loved the frickin' hell out of Doug, but the sequel sucked and yeah, there's a chance it's not so good in retrospect either.
I'm confident Doug holds up pretty well, or at least Roger Klotz does.

It almost goes without saying that it went downhill once Disney got to it, though. "Yeah, we need to slim down this chubby girl and give her a rock guitar. And I know there's already a rich girl, but instead of Roger being trailer trash with a chip on his shoulder, he needs to win the lottery and become a menacing megalomaniac."
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Speaking of good Nicktoons, have any of you guys ever seen My Life As A Teenage Robot? It's a cool show from about five years back about a robot superhero named Jenny and is a cool mix of action and humor, all in a great retro art style.
I'd like to second this. I managed to find a torrent of the whole show last year and I still watch it on a semi-regular basis. For one thing, it's like a whole TV show drawn by Seth. For another, the episode with the eye-themed villain is hilarious in the most painful possible way.

I refuse to rule out CG animation on the grounds that, while the biggest part of theatrical stuff is either Pixar or crap, there are absolute gems that never make it to theatres. Case in point: The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello.

I've heard a few people mention The Last Unicorn here. I appreciate that film both for being incredibly serious and depressing for what is apparently a kids' movie and for the absolutely brilliant animation trick. The unicorn has twice as many frames as any other character. She is animated with the same quality as a full-length movie, while every other character is on par with a TV show. Really cool.

Ever since I got a Blu-Ray player, everything I've gotten has been animation; particularly old Disney. I have a handful of animated films that I watch constantly (Iron Giant, Metropolis, Secret Of NIMH, etc), and every single one of them had better get a Blu-Ray release at some point or I'm going to be dissapointed.

I'm excited for The Princess And the Frog. But I'm not entirely convinced. Disney's sucked lately without having Lasseter hold their hand, but they haven't sucked because they canned 2D animation. If anything, it's been their writing department.
I also don't like that their marketing campaign seems to be hearkening back to ye good olden days when Walt's best work was made when he was looking forward and using every technology available to him.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer View Post
There's an interesting little german animated film called Felidae that's quite good, even if you might not want your little kids to watch it (they pull no punches at all with gore, dismemberment, and medical experimentation, talking animal flick or not).

In terms of American film, aside from Don Bluth there are quite a few Rankin-Bass ones I like (The Hobbit, Flight of Dragons, The Last Unicorn). And I'll say right now that I still think Bakshi's Wizards was a good movie if only for the final epic showdown between Avatar and Blackwolf ("One last thing. I'm glad you changed your name, you son of a bitch.").

On TV, there were a lot of shows I liked as a kid, and a few I think got less credit than they deserve like Exo-Squad (if only it hadn't been hampered by the need to be merchandisable as a toy line, man...). Also I have to admit that one of my guilty pleasures is a nostalgic fondness for Macek's Robotech that most Anime fans seem to think is proof that there is no god. It was my first real exposure to japanese animation in any form, and while I never got into the franchise it really captured my interest when it was new.
Well, I know what I'm doing after Colbert tonight.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
#deadfish2017

Italian animator Bruno Bozzetto made a movie in late 70's called Allegro Non Troppo (loosely translated: "Not So Fast") which is on one level a big take that to Disney. Like Fantasia it's a series of shorts set to and inspired by classical music. My favorite is Bozzetto's take on The Rite of Spring. Set to Maurice Ravel's Boléro it details the evolution of alien life spawned from a discarded coke bottle. It's hypnotic and sublimely animated and just so so good. Better than Rite of Spring at any rate.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 PM

I have nothing for respect for people in the trade. The main thing that's kept me from getting into animation is that I'd hate to have to work for someone like Dreamworks for twenty years before getting enough animator cred to finally work with my own ideas. How many crap films do you think Brad Bird worked on before he got to do The Iron Giant?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Orb Friend

I know he was one of the animators on that old TV movie special Animalympics, and was a consultant on The Simpsons. He also did that Family Dog TV show.

That Italian thing was really cool, but man don't go knockin' Fantasia's Rite Of Spring. Those dinosaurs mean business. There's room for both to be awesome!

Quote:
I've heard a few people mention The Last Unicorn here. I appreciate that film both for being incredibly serious and depressing for what is apparently a kids' movie and for the absolutely brilliant animation trick. The unicorn has twice as many frames as any other character. She is animated with the same quality as a full-length movie, while every other character is on par with a TV show. Really cool.
Now I need to go back and rewatch TLU, 'cos I totally missed out on that as a kid and it's been a while. That is a really neat trick!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Allegro Non Troppo / The Rite of Spring / Ravel's Boléro
I am very interesting in watching Allegro Non Troppo but I've gotta say I love Stravinsky's Rite of Spring much much more than Ravel's Boléro.

Boléro is a good piece of music but the Rite of Spring is one of my favorite long form compositions of the 20th Century.

Sorry for the tangent.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Now I need to go back and rewatch TLU, 'cos I totally missed out on that as a kid and it's been a while. That is a really neat trick!
Also take note of the backgrounds. Every scene is practically defined by its backgrounds. Of particular note is the unicorn's forest from the beginning of the film.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is goofy fun. It's the type of show that almost makes me wish I had kids just so I could watch it with them. Also it has the best theme song ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallyinane View Post
Even the first seasons of Rugrats were occasionally subversive and clever.
"A kid his age should be playing with his friends, not alone in a room boppin' his Boppo!"
Old 11-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Outer Space Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Me, I just bought Giant Robo (which I've never seen)
This is FANTASTIC. You really should watch this right away, as should everyone here who hasn't seen it. One of my favorite anime ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS
I have all 6 volumes, and I cannot recommend them enough for any Looney Tunes fan, at all. They are such a great deal, (especially if you look around, you can get all of them at like $20 to $25 new) because the remastered shorts look beautiful and filled with color, and all the special features really prove these sets were made for the animation collector, from the feature length documentaries to the tv specials they've collected from our childhoods.

Also, how has no one mentioned Thundercats? It's still to this day my favorite piece of action animation made, it really had it's own unique style, from the fluidity of the characters to the very detailed and stylized look of Third Earth.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Also take note of the backgrounds. Every scene is practically defined by its backgrounds.
Oh, that much I know/remember for sure, that was one of the big positives about Rankin-Bass! The backgrounds in the Tolkein movies were incredible, they really had tremendous atmosphere and looked like something straight out of Tolkein's own drawings and the old book covers. And I remember a TTer saying in one of the old animation threads that everything in the films, right down to the characters, looked like they were carved out of wood. A very accurate description.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 PM

Oh! I almost forgot:

The Maxx, which is great both on its own and as a startlingly faithful adaptation of the initial run of Sam Keith's comic (does he still do anything?). And MTV put all the episodes online it looks like, so take a look since there are only 13 and each is something like 10-15 minutes long.

I'm also fond of Aeon Flux, though I think its quality was less consistent.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Quote:
does he still do anything?
He still writes/draws comics. I think My Inner Bimbo is his most recent work.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Sam Keith actually drew the first few Sandman issues, if I'm not mistaken. Supposedly, he quit the project because he felt too out of place. "Like Jimi Hendrix in the Beatles," is how he described it.

Also, I would really really love to see Bone made into an animated series, provided the adaptation was faithful.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Orb Friend

Bone was actually going to be made into an animated movie some years ago, backed by Nickelodeon of all places I believe, but when talk of musical numbers and shitty pop culture stuff started up Jeff Smith nixed the project. Good on him!

I would still love to see an epic 2D movie or miniseries for Bone, and I think Smith is still interested in it too.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:53 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Oh! I almost forgot:

The Maxx, which is great both on its own and as a startlingly faithful adaptation of the initial run of Sam Keith's comic (does he still do anything?). And MTV put all the episodes online it looks like, so take a look since there are only 13 and each is something like 10-15 minutes long.

I'm also fond of Aeon Flux, though I think its quality was less consistent.
Both of those kick ass
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 AM
certified comics master

I'm going to be the first (and perhaps the only?) one to say that I've seen a few episodes of each and I don't really like Flapjack or Chowder all that much. If I had to pick one that I liked more, it'd be Chowder, but still. *shrug*

I'd take something like Dexter's Laboratory or Powerpuff Girls over those any day. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is also great, although I haven't watched it in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
The Last Unicorn looks nice but in the end the story and the characters infuriate me to no end.

"DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING SCHMENDRICK DO SOMETHING"
"But I don't think I can-"
"DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING"
"OKAY FINE HERE"
The unicorn is now a woman.
"WHAT DID YOU DO SCHMENDRICK HOW COULD YOU"

Maybe I'd like it more if there were no dialogue.

I'm looking forward to The Princess and the Frog as well. Too bad it'll be a while before it ever reaches theaters here; if I want to see it within a few months of its stateside release then I'd have to bootleg it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana
I would still love to see an epic 2D movie or miniseries for Bone, and I think Smith is still interested in it too.
Oh man if Bone were faithfully adapted into animation, I'd watch it and then be able to die happy.

Tags
animation , anime , cartoons , disney afternoon , fear of new threads , funny pictures , mickey , no animes allowed , real ghostbusters