The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Life depends on change

Yeah, it's probably reworked War Doctor scripts they couldn't record because of John Hurt's passing. Considering how poor his scripts were (he, predictably, was really the only good thing about them), I'll probably be skipping these, even if I enjoyed the last like eight Paul McGann box sets. The Daleks do not work well on audio (besides Jubilee, anyway). I also would prefer the Time War not be portrayed explicitly, but that's just me.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Life depends on change

The 13th Doctor's costume revealed:

Love the shirt
Old 11-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Find Your Reason

Haha, that rainbow band is a nice touch
Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM
concern troll

I like it. Has a bit more of that old whimsy to it. I like a sharp-dressed doctor, but this is fun.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Life depends on change

Just noticed the earrings - the first Doctor to have not one, but two piercings in her ears!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 AM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

This is the future liberals want.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
This is the future liberals want.
And it's glorious.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM
King Of Space-Time

Shades of both Bakers and Troughton. I like.

WHAT ABOUT HER SCREWDRIVER?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Life depends on change

I'll be honest - I kind of hate Capaldi's current sonic screwdriver, so I hope she gets a new one.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:42 PM
King Of Space-Time

I like it fine, but new era, new toys.

Also, Kazin, you should update your avatar.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM
I. Love. It.

Love the shirt and especially the coat.

Nnnnnnnot really feeling the suspenders, but maybe they'll grow on me.

And there's already fanart, good stuff at least. Though I shudder to think of what exists elsewhere...
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Also, Kazin, you should update your avatar.
Done. Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to lol

Anyway I kinda don't like the pants. I wish there was more to them - they look weirdly plain compared to the rest of the outfit, which I like a lot. I'm sure it'll grow on me, though (I even got over Matt Smith's terrible bow ties eventually).
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 PM
This way up

braces.

Huh.

Huh.

Okay then.

Last edited by Teaspoon; 11-09-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: great boots though
Old 11-09-2017, 04:56 PM
concern troll

*extreme Matt Smith voice*
Suspenders are cool.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:26 PM
an eeling of Christmas

that's such a high waist to those pants, it's like she's a thousand years old or something
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Just noticed the earrings - the first Doctor to have not one, but two piercings in her ears!
So will they just show up as part of the regeneration, or will there be a story behind them?

It would be funny if her reaction after regenerating is "Oh my god, this is completely different from all the other ones... I've got piercings!"
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Life depends on change

Jon Pertwee regenerated with a tattoo out of nowhere and as far as I can remember, it was never referenced, so who knows

EDIT: Although when Davison became Colin Baker, they never referenced Baker's appearance in the show before, but they sure pointlessly "explained" how Capaldi had appeared in the show before, so I guarantee 100% her piercings will be referenced at some point
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 PM
who's she

Here are my thoughts on Return of Doctor Mysterio which I think are best presented exactly as I jotted them down while watching. Spoiler popped for length.

The opening has the most horrendous editing I've seen since D10 fought the Sycorax. Cutting around the child actor, presumably. There was like one shot where the Doctor and the kid were in the same frame - I'd almost believe that shot was a digital paste job and they were never on the set at the same time.

One of my least favorite things in New Who is when they think since they have green screen and CGI they can pull off any special effect and it'll not look like shit.

Lazy superhero references. I get every single one and hate them all.

Peter Capaldi's great anyway. "Don't worry, I'm an intruder too."

Hero Guy is a pathetic friend zone doofus and automatically makes the Strong Female Character an awful stupid loser with bad taste in men in spite of any attempt to establish otherwise.

SNOOORE

LAAAME

BAAARF

SNAAAAME

LAAARRF

The bad guys are pretty cool though.

Reminds of how I felt too often during the D11 era - like I'm reading fanfiction.

Peter Capaldi's great and this episode is bad.

LAAAAAME

BAAAARF

LAMEBARFSNOREUGHJESUS

What? This is so dumb.

LAMEBARFUGHFUCKYOU

Nardole's pretty good.

Huh wah this is dumb

What

What?

This is so so so bad

It got worse

So shit

This is offensively stupid

This is all %100 bad and shit, even Capaldi can't save it. Officially the worst D12 episode.

Oh now she'll love you until she realizes you've been fucking around while her life was in danger you dumbass and also you've been lying to her for twenty-four years

And you'll absolutely deserve to be dumped forever by the love of your life

Except that won't happen because this episode is one giant cliche where the twist is that there's no twist, it's just a giant cliche

What shit

BARFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Okay, so much for the bad guys, they existed I guess

Meh

MEH

Fuck you

I SAID, MEH

Shut up

This episode has one decent idea in the squeezy toy and then makes

SHUT UP

then makes that suck as well.

Ugh

F-
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Life depends on change

Yep - that episode sucks and is probably my least favorite 12th Doctor episode too (which says a lot, considering In the Forest of the Night).

Hero Guy (can't remember his name) is a creep, full stop.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM
That bug is NUTS!

That episode was. The. Worst. I can't even imagine how it got aired. What human wrote it? What was the filming and editing process like? Was anyone actually conscious of what they were doing or was everyone working in a fugue state?

Also, as a new dad at the time, I was incensed at all the blankets and pillows and whatnot they had in the baby's crib. It was basically everything you don't want to do, and there they were, promoting that dangerous shit worldwide. It's called SIDS, read about it, BBC.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Life depends on change

Tenth Doctor Volume 2 comes out Thursday the 23rd, according to Big Finish's twitter.

Also, the first 50 main range releases and some other stuff have been discounted to 99 cents for the next few weeks. Go get Spare Parts for a buck! Or the Chimes of Midnight or Jubilee or Master or all of them for $4. Lots of good stuff in there.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:40 AM
who's she

Season Ten Thoughts

Mega Spoilers No Kidding

The Pilot, Thin Ice

Bill is my favorite companion since Donna, and she's great from day one. Like Donna, Bill has a just-friends relationship with the Doctor, with no weird timey-wimey plot stuff added in. The Doctor helps her realize her potential but she has her own drive and her own interests. The plot of The Pilot is more weird than anything else, but it's a great introduction and it pays off later on.

Backing up the Donna comparison, Thin Ice echoes the episode that introduced Peter Capaldi to Dr. Who, with the companion arguing for compassion for humanity. One difference between D10 and D12 is that D12 asks her first. (This is also way less creepy than what D12 pulled in Kill The Moon)

Smile, Oxygen

This season doesn't hide its modern-day relevance, which is fine, but these two episodes just seem to be trying too hard. They're still decent, with Smile in particular elevated by how great the leads are together. Oxygen takes the award for "least important," mostly notable for introducing the blindness subplot which frankly outstays its welcome.

Knock Knock, Eaters of Light, Empress of Mars

One of the main features of the season is that it always seems to be more fun before the plot kicks in, and Knock Knock is exhibit A. I'm honestly not sure how to review it because it changes tone so drastically. The entire time that Bill and the Doctor are inhabiting a cheesy horror movie, it's awesome. The resolution is fine, just... Pretty weird.

Eaters of Light is similarly a fun ride with a melodramatic ending that doesn't quite work. That said, I would totally have watched another season of episodes like this. And like Empress of Mars, which is pretty thin material but worth it for the badass Ice Queen.

Extremis, Pyramid at the End of the World, Lie of the Land

The slow reveal of the Monks is absolutely great. Too bad they fizzle out in their actual headlining act. This is definitely the biggest flaw in the season. Huge buildup to an amazing cliffhanger, with the Doctor betraying humanity to the bad guys?! And then it immediately chickens out and is instead just the worst episode of the season. What. The fuck. I'm honestly not sure how anyone could wreck a story this badly.

World Enough and Time, The Doctor Falls

After a run of disappointing finales, a good one finally shows up. Moffat risks repeating himself with another tragic Cybermen story, another time distortion puzzle, and even the return of his oldest trope, the mechanical repetition of one word or phrase that we only gradually understand. But it all works out well, more or less.

I have one real problem with this story: the whole opening scene on the bridge of the ship. The Doctor wastes a huge amount of time explaining things when he knows what's at stake and that the time dilation means every second counts. He then leaves the bridge without even trying to use the controls, which seems dumb as hell. In most episodes I would be less inclined to nitpick these details, but this all comes within the context of the Doctor failing in a big way during a scheme that's a bad idea from the start. It almost looks like he's intentionally trying to make things as bad as they could possibly be, and then going "Whoops" as it plays out.

It also starts out as a playful romp with Missy and promptly abandons that idea. There's still good stuff for her in the story, of course, but it does kinda seem like we missed a more entertaining episode. And I'm really not sure it makes sense that the not-quite-cybermen can just come up to the bridge whenever they want to? They can control the whole ship but they just don't? Okay, that's a bunch of problems, but ultimately it comes down to one thing: A whole lot of hand-waving nonsense to set up the plot. Honestly, I think I would have preferred the setup was just "Here's a farm where time goes slow next to a city where time goes fast, no one knows why, look out, Cybermen are attacking!"

Bill's scenes in the hospital are where the plot kind of disappears for a bit, and in keeping with the pattern of the season, these scenes are oddly relaxing in their unpretentious just-plain-goodness. John Simm makes the most of the opportunity to return to the show, maybe more than any other returning incarnation of a time lord.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the resolution of Missy's arc. Unsatisfied, I guess. I wish there had been more of her. I guess the thing is, I like her better than any previous version of the Master. Even a multi-Master story that really delivers on that premise is somewhat disappointing in light of that. Still, I will never stop loving that feeling that only Doctor Who multi-regeneration stories can deliver - the feeling like there must be a split-screen somewhere, even though it's obviously different actors.

The final showdown is very melodramatic and kind of macho, blowing up the bad guys in a suicide mission. Very Moffat-as-fanboy. But the character moments are also there, making it matter. The last exchange between the Doctor and the Master is great and all three actors are on fire. And while Bill's subplot kind of gets put on hold (again) her last scenes with the Doctor have all the heart that was conspicuously absent during the last few season finales.

Throughout this season and ever-more-intensely during this two-parter, I was afraid that I would end up feeling about Bill's story arc the way I felt about Donna's - that it was my favorite thing ever right up until the finale ruined it, making me too upset to ever watch it again, and on some level, unable to trust the show with my heart anymore. Season ten avoids that. The happy ending is maybe a bit cheesy and out-of-nowhere, like okay, this is fine now? But whatever. I needed it. (It's also kind of a repeat of Clara's send-off, except that this is good.)

So, all told? I suspect season four is still better than season ten. But I don't think I want to go back and check.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:41 PM
King Of Space-Time

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff