The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Not a Beer

I wonder if the will go all the way back to the Silmarillion era(s) for this. There's certainly plenty of death and destruction and political backstabbing to do something in the GoT mold. Depending on who ends up on the creative team I might watch that.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 PM
oh my car

If they want to hop on the Game of Thrones grit-train, an adaptation of The Children of Hurin would fit.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
There's lots of stories you could do!
Boy howdy, are there.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM
It's all good, man

JRR Tolkien certainly wrote a lot of words, but not very many stories. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are the only works he really ever finished. There are other tales, but they're generally incomplete and not very suitable to adaptation.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM
is Earnest

The added storylines in The Hobbit movies make me extremely wary of any extended LOTR stuff. But, I'd rather this than a new adaptation of LOTR. At least if it's bad it'll be easier to ignore.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
There are other tales, but they're generally incomplete and not very suitable to adaptation.
That's never stopped Hollywood before!

(Or Electronic Arts. Or whoever made Shadow of Mordor.)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

This could be horrible, obviously. I don't have high expectations for it.

But, I feel like people are confusing Peter Jackson's bad taste and the generally abysmal quality of video game cutscenes with the idea that additional stories set in this world will necessarily be bad.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 AM
It's all good, man

This could be fine, I'm just saying they're better off inventing a story than trying to adapt something that hasn't been done before. (Also, I think the Tolkien estate owns the non-Hobbit/LOTR material licensing rights and have no intention of releasing them)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Nothing is more powerful

I'm hoping for a sitcom. Merry and Pippin will have a recurring gimmick where their latest scheme blows up and leaves them with comically singed hair (on their heads and feet!). Gandalf will be the wacky neighbor whose mere appearance causes the laugh track to go wild. Tom Bombadil will regularly break the fourth wall and be implied to be the actual creator of the show.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:55 AM
120 Days

Quote:
This could be fine, I'm just saying they're better off inventing a story than trying to adapt something that hasn't been done before. (Also, I think the Tolkien estate owns the non-Hobbit/LOTR material licensing rights and have no intention of releasing them)
Yeah - i don't think the heaven and hell super story of Melkor, Morgoth and the Valar, will ever be adapted to a mass entertainment platform.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM
oh my car

Quote:
This could be fine, I'm just saying they're better off inventing a story than trying to adapt something that hasn't been done before.
That seems to be what they're doing.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
(Also, I think the Tolkien estate owns the non-Hobbit/LOTR material licensing rights and have no intention of releasing them)
According to the article Bongo linked, Amazon acquired the rights from the Tolkien Estate (as opposed to the non-family owned Middle-earth Enterprises).
Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

if memory serves, the LOTR rights include allllll of the material in the appendices but none of the material from the Silmarillion that isn't also in the appendices.

That's still a lot of stories that can be told.

it's still too early to wail in jubilation and/or sorrow without more concrete details tho
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM
oh my car

Tolkien's work has inspired generations of artists. Some of them have had budgets. It's no big deal if another one sucks, I think.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Programmed to Jingle

My greatest hope is that this is actually an adaptation of the Father Christmas Letters
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Find Your Reason

It should be a four-season adaptation of The Scouring of the Shire.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
According to the article Bongo linked, Amazon acquired the rights from the Tolkien Estate (as opposed to the non-family owned Middle-earth Enterprises).
It's vague about what the full scope of what they actually paid for is.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
This could be horrible, obviously. I don't have high expectations for it.

But, I feel like people are confusing Peter Jackson's bad taste and the generally abysmal quality of video game cutscenes with the idea that additional stories set in this world will necessarily be bad.
That's definitely part of it. Jackson did a phenomenal job adapting Tolkien - to the extent that he was portraying something directly from the books. He even did a great job with this in The Hobbit, it just had a lot more non-book content. The stuff he added in or improvised was mostly bad.

But on top of that, a fair portion of fantasy since LOTR is basically LOTR fan fiction. And a lot of Fantasy books are fairly cringey. Heck, even GOT is often a lot weaker when it gets away from the ASOIAF content (or I felt it was, anyway). I can think of a lot of other examples of books, comics, games etc. that got worse when someone else took over for the original creators. And this is Tolkien that they are adapting from, so there are going to be high expectations.

So I'm not saying that it's going to be bad either, but I think there's a lot of reasons to be wary.

PS: good Bad Taste reference.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
I'm hoping for a sitcom. Merry and Pippin will have a recurring gimmick where their latest scheme blows up and leaves them with comically singed hair (on their heads and feet!). Gandalf will be the wacky neighbor whose mere appearance causes the laugh track to go wild. Tom Bombadil will regularly break the fourth wall and be implied to be the actual creator of the show.
I take it Frodo will be the straight man character who's constantly annoyed by the antics of all the lunatics around him, right?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Looking forward to "The Misadventures of Tom Bombadil".
Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Personally I'm hoping for an adaptation of "Leaf by Niggle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In this story, an artist, named Niggle, lives in a society that does not much value art. Working only to please himself, he paints a canvas of a great Tree with a forest in the distance. He invests each and every leaf of his tree with obsessive attention to detail, making every leaf uniquely beautiful. Niggle ends up discarding all his other artworks, or tacks them onto the main canvas, which becomes a single vast embodiment of his vision.

However, there are many mundane chores and duties that prevent Niggle from giving his work the attention it deserves, so it remains incomplete and is not fully realised.

At the back of his head, Niggle knows that he has a great trip looming, and he must pack and prepare his bags.

Also, Niggle's next door neighbour, a gardener named Parish, frequently drops by
That way one episode can just be a backdoor Retronauts TV pilot.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I take it Frodo will be the straight man character who's constantly annoyed by the antics of all the lunatics around him, right?
"What's the deal with eagle food?"
Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 PM
This Guy

I still really like the first 2 Hobbit movies. They probably could have edited the last two into one movie and lost very little of value, but the only one I didn't love was the last.

In general, I am up for more adventures in Middle Earth. I'll wait until we have actual details to form more of an opinion than that.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 PM
It's all good, man

https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-r-r-tolkie...sta-1820476459

So apparently Christopher Tokien is no longer in control of the estate, which explains this deal and also indicates that previously-impossible adaptations of other works such as the Silmarillion are now less impossible. Not that I think such a thing would be a good idea.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Not a Beer

I mean, I can imagine some Silmarillion or other extended lore adaptations that *could* be pretty great in the hands of the right people, but given the huge $ signs that LOTR makes dance in executives' eyes ever since the Peter Jackson movies, the cahnces of the right people happening does seem slim.

Tags
lord of the rings , ornstein & smaug , television , things nobody wanted , this show will bomb-adil , tolkien