The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Rawrther.

Default The Definitive DC Movie Thread

So Warner Bros finally unveiled their DCU Movie Line-up, so I thought it'd be a good time to start a counterpart to the Marvel movie thread.
Quote:
2016 will see the release of the previously-confirmed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but also the Suicide Squad movie has been placed in the August 5, 2016 release date...

2017 will see the release of the just-announced LEGO Batman movie on May 26, 2017 with a Wonder Woman solo film coming June 23 and Justice League Part One featuring Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles, on November 12.

2018 will see the release of two solo DC films with The Flash on March 23, 2018 , starring The Perks of Being a Wallflower and We Need to Talk About Kevin's Ezra Miller in the title role, in addition to Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, on July 27.

In 2019, WB will release Shazam, starring Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam, on April 5, 2019, and Justice League Part Two, once again to be directed by Zack Snyder, on June 14, 2019.

2020 brings us two more solo films with Cyborg, starring Ray Fisher, on April 3, 2020 and a reboot of Green Lantern on June 19.

Furthermore, WB has also confirmed that solo films for both Batman and Superman are also in development though no release date has been set for either.
I'm not a big fan of having to wait until 2020 to get a new Green Lantern, but I guess they really want to make sure people have mostly forgotten about Ryan Reynolds before they do.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Lego Batman is getting his own movie?

That's uh

Well

It's just...

Isn't that sort of...

huh.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

That's uh

Well

It's just...

Isn't that sort of...

huh.

I'm frankly more surprised at the Suicide Squad movie. Their whole deal is being c-list, but known villains, so that people can enjoy the disconnect of government-sponsored villains going after worse villains. Without that recognition, it's just gonna be an origin story of a bunch of unknown and mean jerks in a team, but without the appeal of the GotGs or the history of the Avengers.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:

That's uh

Well

It's just...

Isn't that sort of...

huh.
I had fun explaining to a friend of mine that it's not, like, Lego Batman videogames batman. From what they've been saying, it's specifically The Batman From the Lego Movie Batman Movie.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Just so we're clear; we are getting two movies about Lego Batman and a remake of Green Lantern in the time it takes us to get one single Wonder Woman movie.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Little Waves

Are they going to do Justice League without Green Lantern, or is he going to be in two ensemble pictures before his first solo one? Or maybe it'll be two different Green Lanterns (there are certainly plenty of them).

Edit: Now that I think about it, practically everyone's going to be in a team movie first. DC is inventing new ways to put the cart before the horse.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Not a Beer

Given that Zack Snyder is continuing to direct Justice League, there's pretty much no way I'm getting suckered into DC continuity the way MCU has sucked me in. However, if people report that it looks good, I'll likely make an exception for Wonder Woman on general principle. (C'monnnn, Marvel, this is your cue to announce Black Widow and/or Captain Marvel flicks.)
Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Given that Zack Snyder is continuing to direct Justice League, there's pretty much no way I'm getting suckered into DC continuity the way MCU has sucked me in.
Yeah, I would be really excited for DC stuff otherwise. Snyder is maybe my least favorite director currently making movies.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM
This Guy

The planning part of this seems fine. I don't really trust them to make good movies like I do Marvel, but doing Justice League before the individual movies isn't necessarily wrong. They have to prove that they can make a good movie at all though. I do really want to see The Rock's Shazam movie, but I have an unreasonable love for The Rock.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Rawrther.

The Shazam movie especially worries me, that they'll rush to get out of Billy Batson as soon as possible, and make it all Man of Steel gritty.

Actually, the general DCU tone so far is what makes me concerned about any of the movies.

The roadmap they've laid out doesn't mean so much to me at the moment, since WB hasn't proved yet that they can actually get these movies made. Marvel has a proven track record of delivering quality on a deadline; WB has a proven track record of development hell with Batman and Superman--their least risky properties.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I certainly hope David S. Goyer isn't writing most of these!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

They all suck. Except the animated ones. About half of those suck.

/thread.

I'll update this post if that ever changes.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I think WB is still foolishly under the belief that David S Goyer was a significant part of the Nolan Batman trilogy's success. Pretty sure they locked him down for the first Justice League, at least.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
Actually, the general DCU tone so far is what makes me concerned about any of the movies.
I just want movie!Cy to be as fun a character as his Teen Titans version, instead of the body horror nightmare of New 52.

Quote:
The roadmap they've laid out doesn't mean so much to me at the moment, since WB hasn't proved yet that they can actually get these movies made.
The roadmap tells me that DC is a company that wants to have done, not a company that wants to do.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
They all suck. Except the animated ones. About half of those suck.

/thread.

I'll update this post if that ever changes.
The shows are also pretty good.

Well... Gotham I haven't watched and can't comment on, but Flash is a lot of fun so far, and Arrow is just so gloriously stupid that I can't help but love it.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Just so we're clear; we are getting two movies about Lego Batman and a remake of Green Lantern in the time it takes us to get one single Wonder Woman movie.
Ha ... D:
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Rawrther.

Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Ryan Gosling, and Margot Robbie eyed for Suicide Squad.

Well. Huh. Well I guess none of these are particularly bad. Just nothing I'd expect outside of Hardy. I did like Will Smith in Hancock, before the third act went horribly.

Last edited by cortbassist89; 10-15-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM
This way up

Quote:

That's uh

Well

It's just...

Isn't that sort of...

huh.
Thank you.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Deadshot, Bane, Catman, and Killer Frost?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Rawrther.

That would certainly be interesting if they brought back Tom Hardy as Bane, but the last speculation on it was that it'd be featuring Blockbuster, Multiplex, Jaculi, Mindboggler, Captain Boomerang, Vixen, and Deadshot.

Apparently the script has been finished and out in the world for awhile, so those details could be accurate. Caveat emptor, of course though.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
naw dawg he rites movies for evry1 else, not effing comix nerds. who wants to watch that nerdy ****? these'll be sooo gud.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
That would certainly be interesting if they brought back Tom Hardy as Bane, but the last speculation on it was that it'd be featuring Blockbuster, Multiplex, Jaculi, Mindboggler, Captain Boomerang, Vixen, and Deadshot.

Apparently the script has been finished and out in the world for awhile, so those details could be accurate. Caveat emptor, of course though.
Well, 3 out of 7 ain't bad?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Well, 3 out of 7 ain't bad?
Yeah I assume Jaculi and Mindboggler are probably just cannon fodder.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Gl is 2020, WW is 2017.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:29 PM

I consider all of this good news. And I also don't really get all the Zack Snyder hate either. Man of Steel wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed it. A lot more than most Marvel films to date at least.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 PM
This Guy

Man of Steel was a largely well made movie that did not display any understanding of its main character. Snyder films a pretty decent action scene, but his movies tend to be kind of tone deaf and humorless.

David Goyer is not a wholly terrible writer, but he doesn't get Superman at all and should not have been tasked with writing a Superman script. It is a bad fit.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 AM

I really have to disagree about the tone and characterization for Superman being off. It's off in the sense that it isn't in line with popular conceptions for what the hero should be - conceptions that are largely born from the old films and cartoons. But Superman, just like Batman, has been a ton of things over the years. Gritty Superman who struggles with the morality of lethal force and his tenuous connection to humanity is a pretty typical theme in a lot of Superman comics. I think it's a good and refreshing take on the character in terms of cinema. But this is from a guy who has generally enjoyed New52 Superman, so yeah. I don't blame anyone for saying that they prefer a different characterization of Superman over this one. But I think it's a little too dismissive, or uninformed to claim that this is wrong when it's been the way he's been many times in the past.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM

They should have a buddy comedy superhero movie with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:12 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
They should have a buddy comedy superhero movie with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.
200 Million Ambush Bug.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Man of Steel was a largely well made movie that did not display any understanding of its main character.
I was more pissed about Pa Kent being turned into a paranoid moron than anything necessarily wrong about Superman in that movie (well, except for the fact that the Zod fight should've been more about Superman saving people than a punchup, but you kinda know what you're getting out of a Snyder movie). Shit, it's been, what, 27 years since he executed a Zod proxy in the comics?

I know the goal was to make Jor-El look more important, but... no.

Also: we don't need a Flash movie now. WB needs to stay the FUCK away from Flash and let the TV series work its magic.

(Suicide Squad struck me as a very good idea for a more-or-less standalone movie, however. You can hint that the villains have history with heroes we may not have necessarily seen yet, but it's a concept that's easily explainable to anyone without any background knowledge. I presume Viola Davis as Amanda Waller is all-but-guaranteed since the GL movie and hence Angela Bassett's version has been retconned out of existence?)

Tags
*wonder woman riff* , badman v. subparman , batman very superman , chortle at joker's boner , comics , detective comics , dreary crap , fourth world problems , ice to see you , like batman but , swear to me , tales from the krypton , waiting for gadot , why did you say that name