The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 AM

You could probably still post it there, I doubt most people read this thread.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 AM
King Of Space-Time

BEAT. Thou has been Naughty in Mine sight. I have seen your transgressions.
Lo, did you scratch your bum in your sleep last night!
Mine wrath is upon thee!

I mean really, that has to be the reason this exsists, right?

Last edited by Daikaiju; 05-14-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 AM
hourglass figure

Sometimes anime doesn't get a chance to be a scourge:

https://kotaku.com/racist-twitter-co...ion-1826630517

Quote:
The Japanese light novel series New Life+: Young Again in Another World was slated to get a TV anime adaptation this fall. But in the wake of bigoted tweets its creator previously made, the show has been canned.
Quote:
When the anime was announced, Twitter users pointed to tweets MINE made between 2012 and 2015 with racist and derogatory comments towards China and South Korea. Twitter users also noted that the series apparently features a protagonist who had killed 3,000 people with a katana during the Second Sino-Japanese War.
So, let's see:

-Boilerplate light novel adaptation.
-Judging from the title, an "isekai" one, at that.
-Judging from the image in kotaku's article, probably features some harem nonsense.
-Japanese war crimes apology.
-Presumably more of the guy's awful ideology and xenophobia would have wormed its way into the narrative.

Sure sounds like we dodged a bullet here!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotaku comments section
Since folks may not click through links... some context.

One cartoon this guy wrote featured a Korean woman ruminating on how good her life is because she has pretended to be a victim of discrimination to take advantage of people’s kindness and live off of welfare.

Another featured again a Korean woman who talks about how she could murder someone and get away with it because... she uses a fake Japanese name?

And saving the best for last he released a book titled “Let’s Become A Refugee!” where a Syrian girl pretends to be a victimized refugee so she can be moved to another country and live in the lap of luxury at everyone else’s expense...
SURE fucking sounds like we dodged a goddamn bullet.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

As a Wise Sage once said: Holy Fucking Shit.

I'm glad this anime was canned, but on the other hand it also means the novels and those other works are already in circulation out there.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The thing I don't understand is why nobody picked up on this; the whole "hero being a member of the nanking occupation" bit is listed front and center before he gets whisked off to another world to live his life over again. Like, chapter 1 type stuff (reading shitty isekai is a guilty pleasure of mine).
Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 AM
King Of Space-Time

The scanlation site I frequent has loading issues due various attempts to reroute my browser. I think I may have missed that that page. That said, the MC's insistence on doing things properly Japanese has bordered on pyschopathic. Now I see the context. eeeeesh.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Glass half-full take: it's strangely comforting to know that other societies have the same gross people/problems that we do. We're all more alike than not!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Better be the real thing.

I'm just amazed because I remember about a decade ago when a manga series got censored for using reference photos from the Nanjing Massacre, which has a lot of nationalist deniers.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM
The Great

I'm way more surprised that the studio actually ended up doing something about it than I am of a shitty light novel author being racist.

Tags
actual fuckin nazis , anime , anime died , anime is a scrooge , animeanime , animeanimeanime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , be better , don't watch anime , ghost of suncoast video , glop till you drop , glopping , im flyin like goku , jojo is perfect , master of mosquiton , nerd bigotry , octo does not do research , ominous orchestral swell , otakus anonymous , overpriced pocky , overture in see minor , paynus paynus paynus , stop 'n' glop , the abyss gazes back , what's all this racket