The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

My Favorite, most video-gamey thing in this is to crouch in some grass and whistle to alert a bandit, and then stealth kill it, and just doing that that to clear out an entire camp. Often from the same shrub.

None of the guards seem to think twice about the steadily growing corpse heap under the whistle-bush.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 PM
oh my car

I just started playing this game. I'm going to post impressions when I remember to.
  • This is the third extravagantly-praised AAA open-world game I've played in two years, and all three of them have a different crouch button. This is going to fuck me up horribly.
  • After specifically calling out metal as an element during the intro, we've got an old character named Rust and a character who combines old and new technology named Alloy. I'm sensing a motif here.
  • Detective Mode is back baby
Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I should be loaning Automata to a coworker in exchange for this today. Looking forward to trying this out, as it was one of the first games to get me excited for the PS4.

What should a newbie be aware of going into this game? (Mechanically, I mean.)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM
It's all good, man

Learn concentration ASAP and exploit enemy weaknesses when you know them.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Pulling the bowstring back further increases accuracy, not damage.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Power up your stealth kill. Stabs from the tall grass were my bread and butter early until I could get better gear and it stays handy all the way until the very end game.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
Power up your stealth kill. Stabs from the tall grass were my bread and butter early until I could get better gear and it stays handy all the way until the very end game.
trip wires are very handy, traps much less so.

Hunting regular animals is how you get stuff to make healing potions, fast travel packs, bigger quivers for your different ammo types, and bigger carrying bags for your weapons, outfits, and mods.

you will always have too much Chillwater on hand.

Applying a status effect to an enemy requires filling up the gauge that appears over them when you hit them with the first status effect arrow. Status effect does not take place until it's been filled - you'll know because the circle will then have a white line around it that gradually depletes to let you know how much longer the status effect is in place.

those status effects:

Shock (lightning symbol) - immobilizes enemies.
Down (three stars) - immobilized enemies who have been knocked over.
Tied down (down arrow) - immobilizes enemies
Fire (flame symbol)- damage over time, all Corrupted robos are weak to this
Ice (snowflake) - enemies are slowed and damage to them is multiplied
Corruption (green spirals) - robots will fight other robots. They'll still fight you too if you're closer.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Man, taking down a Thunderjaw is satisfying
Old 07-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Whereas I am level 12 and still absolutely terrified of anything larger than a Strider.

Also, I love that with all of the different meat types in the game, they reserve a spot for rats' Tiny Meat.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 AM
oh my car

This game is just barely managing to avoid making me feel overwhelmed with things to do. I hacked my first Tallneck, exterminated my first bandit camp, did a few main quests... I think if I continue feeling free to ignore sidequests I'll be okay. This is a good-ass game, for all that it natively speaks the common design language that worse AAA games have converged on.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Hey, hey Glinthawks, I wanna tell you something.

Hey.

You listening?

Here goes.

YOU'RE NOT FUN.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

GlintHawks at least have the courtesy of not possessing very much health and having thin armor over their weak point. I'd prefer to take on a dozen Hawks over a Snapmaw or Firebellow.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

But Snapmaws and Firebellows at least will go "Oh, the little girl with the bow disappeared? Well I guess I'll just get on with my day instead of wasting anymore of my time and ammo." But then you have the "no kill like overkill" Glinthawks who lose sight of you and figure that they might as well start carpet bombing everything in a two kilometer radius.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
It's all good, man

I was definitely having a bad time when I did like three unrelated quests in a row that all involved large glinthawk attacks.

There's this really annoying thing where when you're aiming toward the sky, the camera can position itself so it's underneath foliage on the ground which actually manages to obscure your view. How did they not notice that?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Lucas: also, fuck you too, Horizon Zero Dawn
Lucas: quest has two areas, one with human bandits and one with robot scrappers
Lucas: I kill all the bandits and find three of the quest items, but one is on top of a building and I cannot fucking find a way up there so I go kill all the scrappers which takes a long time because there are a lot of them and like most robots in the game you would be hard pressed to take on one in a fair fight and eight is just stupid
Lucas: so I kill all them, and don't find a way to circle around like I had hoped
Lucas: go back to the original area and can't find anything, so I go on gamefaqs
Lucas: with a walkthrough's help, I finally find the barely-marked area I'm supposed to climb up to the roof, get my pickup, see the next part of the quest is to get more pickups from the scrapper area, figure it'll be easy
Lucas: and trigger a three second cutscene after which all the scrappers respawn
Lucas: I think I need to take a short break from this game
Lucas: I dunno, there are some times where Horizon is a lot of fun, and some times where the fact I'm borrowing it from someone else is the primary reason I don't see if I can throw the disc hard enough to penetrate drywall
Edit: Honestly, one of the biggest issues for me is the lighting. It feels like the game spends at least 80% of its time in a sunup/sundown state where everything is colored red and you can't tell one thing from another, which tends to cause a lot of frustration especially when I'm looking for something like a brave trail.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:29 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm about five hours into this and I keep asking myself if I really want to start another open world game. I have a PS4 Pro and in 4K HDR this shit is stunning. But I feel like I've played this before and I've stopped a few times and wondered if I want to continue. "Oh, yeah. This shit again."

I think I'm having some kind of open world burnout. "Remember when games had stages and levels? Yeah, stages were cool."
Old 08-06-2017, 05:46 PM
oh my car

I've just done my first Cauldron quest, and I think I'm starting to coalesce around an idea of what's the cool thing at the heart of this game. Something to do with the way it keeps introducing new mechanics, and new types of obstacles and quests that gradually alter the world in predictable ways. It's balanced to always have a good amount of texture, a good amount of friction. This is kind of a vague word because I'm trying to express a vague thought.

It naturally invites comparison to Breath of the Wild, whose structure is much more explicit. I'll keep at it. Slowly.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I should note that I am actually enjoying the game a lot of the time. There's a lot of stuff it does that invites direct comparison to Breath of the Wild like Bill mentions, and a lot of the time I feel like Horizon comes out on top. About the only times I ever wish I was playing the Zelda game instead is when climbing comes up and the route isn't very obvious, or when I've just climbed up somewhere and become painfully aware I don't have a paraglider in this game.

I'm also really enjoying the writing. A lot of the quest and incidental dialogue is pretty good ("Alright, she should be ready to shoot, so pick'er up and give her a whirl. Just don't brace her against your hips if you ever want to use them for-" "OK I GET IT" made me laugh out loud, and I think is the most sexualized Aloy has been for the whole game? So that's another good point) and I'm actively searching out the vistas just for the text entries on those.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I've just done my first Cauldron quest, and I think I'm starting to coalesce around an idea of what's the cool thing at the heart of this game. Something to do with the way it keeps introducing new mechanics, and new types of obstacles and quests that gradually alter the world in predictable ways. It's balanced to always have a good amount of texture, a good amount of friction. This is kind of a vague word because I'm trying to express a vague thought.

It naturally invites comparison to Breath of the Wild, whose structure is much more explicit. I'll keep at it. Slowly.
Like BoTW, it gives you a variety of tools to handle situations and has confidence in you as a player to keep introducing curveballs, and there's a lot of emergent play from the way the various systems and AI interact.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Ted's a real piece of shit isn't he?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:30 PM
New Video World is out!

I stopped playing this because it was super boring and also one of those games where the main character narrates their life. "This looks like a cave!" it certainly is Aloy but who ya talking to?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I stopped playing this because it was super boring and also one of those games where the main character narrates their life. "This looks like a cave!" it certainly is Aloy but who ya talking to?
All the best people talk to themselves.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, he's right.

No, he's not.

Quiet, you.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM
oh my car

I find that characteristic of Aloy's relatable because I, too, talk to myself.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:29 AM

I'm playing the Frozen Wilds expansion DLC. It's beautiful - dat Aurora Borealis - and difficult. The new area requires going through a mountain pass by the Grave-Hoard and fighting a new 'bot that's tough as fuck. It's definitely meant as late/post-game content, and seems balanced around having Shield-Weaver armor - one of the new challenges invovles taking down things that send out pulses that disrupt your shields (and heals robots so they are very much No Fun).
Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Just bear with me

Digging into this one a bit. After a slow start in the cave (where do I take this girl, anyway?), I've started to adapt to the gameplay, which reminds me more than a little of Far Cry 4. The control is more complicated than I'd like it to be, but it's a lot of fun targeting the weak points of animal-droids and digging through their remains for spare parts. I especially like how the "eyes" on the front of each creature act as status indicators, changing color depending on their awareness of your current location. The graphics are pretty incredible even on a PS4 Slim, and the writing and voice acting are both top class... even if Aloy sounds distractingly like Cassie Cage from Mortal Kombat X. (I know, same actress. Still.)

Tags
cadillacs are dinosaurs , get on the floor , it's a tricycle-tops , open the door , uudd is all for aaa , yo'stir isle