The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-12-2018, 02:00 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

They're also just doing some weird shit, like Voltes V and that Bobobo show that only Nich could pronounce correctly.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Find Your Reason

They're also bringing Kimagure Orange Road, so I'll finally get to see what all the hype was about in 1994-era Usenet.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:31 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

me: so apparently the nazi rally in DC amounted to like three dozen spazmos in bad commando cosplay

me: anime nerds win by default

monkey jeff: Giant Robo blu rays were announced in DC this morning. No evil could touch the city on this day.

me: hahahahaha

me: they all fled for fear of silent chuujou and his big bang punch
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
They're also bringing Kimagure Orange Road, so I'll finally get to see what all the hype was about in 1994-era Usenet.
Itís not worth it.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
oh HELL yeah
Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Itís not worth it.
I *love* KOR. I have the entire series in manga and DVD, have watched all the movies and read all the books... And I +1 this post.

The series haven't aged well. I think they're good, but you have to be willing to give it a lot of slack as a product of its time. And is just as easy to read the protagonist as either an indecisive but honestly good guy or as an emotionally dependant creep who strings a girl along to prop up his self-worth.

(I haven't re-watched the two movies recently, but something tells me those have ages the best, particularly the first one)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Discotek also bringing Area 88 to DVD

After all these years and beating U.N Squadron repeatedly as a kid I now know the truth. Gonna try to hunt down these OVAs.

No wonder the setting and characters in U.N. Squadron felt like they had so much depth to child Galadrome. Daaamn, reading about Area 88 it seems like it is exactly up my alley.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Area 88 is good. It is tragic shoujo romance about beautiful doomed young men and their supersonic phallic extensions.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
supersonic phallic extensions.
Right up my alley
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Family Man

I got to the episode of Hunter X Hunter where Killua unequips a serial killerís heart from his chest in a completely sanctioned Hunter Exam test. I still canít believe this happened.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:58 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Please note: Hunters are sociopaths who are largely self-involved. Seriously, they basically say as much as the show goes on. It's a pretty damned amoral organization of people who pursue their hobbies with super powers and a willingness to murder.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 PM
Family Man

The Hunter Organization certainly doesnít seem to put much value on human life based on their exams...
Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Fuuuuucckkkkkkkk....

"Voice Actor Unshō Ishizuka Passes Away at 67"

This guy is a legend. He voiced: Jet in Cowboy Bebop; Mr. Satan in DBZ; Guld in Macross Plus; Prof. Oak in Pokemon; Old-Joseph Joestar in JJBA; and like a billion other roles.

Pretty bummed out on this one. He has such a distinctive voice and was such a good actor.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
The Hunter Organization certainly doesnít seem to put much value on human life based on their exams...
Hunter X Hunter initially seems like a typical shonen story, but quickly reveals itself to be a dark vision into a Nietzchean moral order where power is the only self-justifying good.

It's more nuanced than that, thank god, but even as the characters learn, grow, and form genunine relationships they are constantly running up against outside forces that will kill them dead for fun.

It's the most nihilistic and horrifying children's show I've ever seen, but no less awesome for it.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:07 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Hunter X Hunter initially seems like a typical shonen story, but quickly reveals itself to be a dark vision into a Nietzchean moral order where power is the only self-justifying good.
The most fucked up part is that this is the series the creator came up with when he was about to become a Dad. Like, the more you find out about Gon's dad over the course of the series, the more troubling it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
It's more nuanced than that, thank god, but even as the characters learn, grow, and form genunine relationships they are constantly running up against outside forces that will kill them dead for fun.
Yeah, I remember someone around here complaining that the main characters get too powerful too quickly and are too strong, but they spend most of the series meeting new people who are way more powerful than them. And they get strong fast, as is the shounen trope, but also never quite fast enough. Hell, there's only one major story arc that ends with a one on one fight between Gon and some bad guy where Gon wins the fight. JBear said it best (though the exact words are forgotten "It's a series where the characters aren't afraid to fuck off to somewhere else in what would be the middle of a story arc in a more conventional series." It is sometimes frustrating and sometimes refreshing.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Lock and Loaded, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Fuuuuucckkkkkkkk....

"Voice Actor Unshō Ishizuka Passes Away at 67"

This guy is a legend. He voiced: Jet in Cowboy Bebop; Mr. Satan in DBZ; Guld in Macross Plus; Prof. Oak in Pokemon; Old-Joseph Joestar in JJBA; and like a billion other roles.

Pretty bummed out on this one. He has such a distinctive voice and was such a good actor.
RIP He also voices commander Gore in DSJ too...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

He was also Ryotaro Dojima from Persona 4.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:39 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Yeah, I remember someone around here complaining that the main characters get too powerful too quickly and are too strong..
I think that was me. I re-read the series recently and I dont feel that way anymore... The recent reveal about the true nature/location of the known world also helped
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Fifth Business

For those interested in seeing a Masaaki Yuasa movie on the big screen (I am one such person), "Night Is Short, Walk On Girl" will be showing at some theaters on August 21 and 22
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
This Guy

I took my little brother to see Cowboy Bebop The Movie a few days ago. He's quite a bit younger than me (16 years) and though he loves anime the only stuff we've both seen are Ghibli movies. But he was hanging out with me for the week and I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to Cowboy Bebop and seeing The Movie on the big screen sounded like a treat (also, I had a buy one get one coupon at the Alamo Drafthouse). It went over real well; he borrowed my DVDs of the series when he went home yesterday.

Interesting thing I learned "rewatching" Cowboy Bebop The Movie - I had actually never seen it before. I thought I had. I know a different brother owns the DVD. I would have sworn before it started that I had watched it before. So it turns out it was a new experience for both of us. Its quite good.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

The worst thing about the Cowboy Bebop movie is that they only made one
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

Knockin' on Heaven's Door is how I choose to remember that show. I barely remember how the actual final episode of the show went, but how the film ends is laser etched to my brain and how the show ends in my headcanon. The entire credit sequence is just movie perfection.

When people speak in tones of reverence about say, the Patlabor movies, those are the emotions I have for this film.

I wish anime fans weren't the worst. In a better world, we'd have a Space Dandy movie by now. I will have to settle for Carol & Tuesday.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road