The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 04-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Sennheisers also have a lifetime warranty that they're dead serious about. If you've still got your broken pair you can absolutely reach out to them for repair/replacement.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Hm, I've got to look into that. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Since I mentioned native (ish, in the case of stuff like NSFE, VGM, etc. formats that droidsound/winamp extensions support) playback of tracker and synth music, I figure I should also mention the setup that I have for that other, misunderstood synth data format: MIDI.

Especially if I'm doing work with audio (i.e., trackers, midi, etc.) I'm going to be using my computer. It's basically the place I listen to most of my music from at least when I'm not at work. When it comes to MIDI my setup has two main steps

1. Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth (a soundfont loader that can replace the standard SoundCanvas-based setup most Windows machines have had since the later 90s). In addition to loading soundfonts it also can be used to configure the MS midi mapper, so you can use it with any program; it also has a renderer that can convert files directly into a sampled format using the active soundfont(s).

2. This OPL3 emulator driver. It's reasonably accurate and makes for a great way to get OPL3-style synth playback out of, say, MIDI data in DOSBox (which in most cases get passed through the default midi mapper -- which Virtual MIDI Synth can have set to this).

By the way, my current soundfont is this wonderful little one which is the best softsynth I've heard since the days of the late, great Wingroove. Speaking of which... (NOTE: I haven't actually tried that one)

And also, speaking of OPL3, I am not aware of any trackers that compose in the style of the OPL3 synth other than AdlibTracker, which runs natively in DOS or by way of DOSBox. There isn't something for more modern windows in the style of Famitracker or VGM MM. Alas!

Last edited by muteKi; 04-03-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: 20 years ago your midi synthesizer definitely counted as a "listening device" so I don't want to hear about how this is outside the purpose of the thread
Old 04-04-2018, 02:44 AM
A Singularly Dreary Tract

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I'm no sound snob, but I've noticed in recent years that ordinary dollar store earphones just aren't good enough for me. They produce sound that's too soft, too tinny. Skullcandy earphones don't cost too much more and offer substantially improved sound. Sennheisers are better still, but alas, those earphones crapped out on me after several years, and I only get sound out of one ear. Sennheisers are pretty costly, so I guess I'll be sticking with Skullcandy from now on!
If you're willing to order stuff from China that takes a month to ship you can get some really excellent headphones for about ten bucks. I can vouch for this pair of earbuds and this pair of in-ear headphones for having a tremendous amount of audio quality that far, far outstrips any other headphones that you could pick up in a retail store at that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Sennheisers also have a lifetime warranty that they're dead serious about. If you've still got your broken pair you can absolutely reach out to them for repair/replacement.
This is relevant to me! Though I think I probably threw out the Sennheiser earbuds that had a short in them sometime in the last year or two. Alas, if I had only known.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 AM
boku girl

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

I wanna see more responses to this thread because I always pictured Raider Dr. Jones as having either a dopeass hifi setup or a minidisc player
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 AM
There he is!

Oh, forgot to mention, with my computer I have this awesome set of Audioengine speakers.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I wanna see more responses to this thread because I always pictured Raider Dr. Jones as having either a dopeass hifi setup or a minidisc player
I really wanted a minidisc player around about 2000 or 2001 but was too broke to afford one then. But I really lucked out because the window where minidisc players were the superior format was a very short one. Minidiscs were certainly superior to CD players because they didn't skip, were re-recordable, could connect to a PC, and were just had the coolest features at the time. But hard drive based mp3 players were rapidly coming along and pretty much made minidiscs completely obsolete. I remember I finally got a hard drive based mp3 player (I think it was an iRiver device, maybe 8gb? It seemed enormous at the time) and held on to it until the drive started skipping on reads. Then I had a Sansa clip as a stopgap until I got a smartphone. Now that I have a smartphone and don't listen to as much music any other device seems redundant.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 PM

I find minidiscs fascinating, yet for some reason I never got on the fast track to ATRAC myself
Old 04-08-2018, 03:30 AM

Holy shit, I just saw the name Audiogalaxy and that made me realize how friggin' old I am.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

I recently got one of these, which I've mounted on the edge of my desk hutch so I can listen to my CDs, which have mostly gone untouched once ripped for the last several years. It's not the highest of hi-fi, but my goal was to get a CD player with built in speakers and a small footprint, and it's right on the mark for that. Otherwise I mostly listen to stuff on my phone, often using the phone speakers, or my computer (through itunes, which I use out of laziness because I have to use it for my phone anyway) using some cheap PC speakers I got a few years ago. My car stereo (whatever a late '00 Corolla came with as standard) is probably the best speaker system I have, playing either CDs or stuff off my phone via an FM transmitter.

I've always listened to a lot of music, but I've never been fussy about quality. Maybe because I got so into DIY lo-fi type stuff. Also I was in an amateur band for years. To me, amp hiss, missed notes, uneven mixing, and digital clipping are a much more faithful reproduction of making music than clean, clear recordings. Plus, years of volume abuse have reduced my ability to distinguish one sound from another. That said, that lo-fi stuff can be pretty hard to listen to these days.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

I have a minidisc player; some silly thing by Sharp called an Auvi. I have no idea how to charge the player or the battery, which looks like the product of a mad love affair between an Energizer and a pack of Wrigley's spearmint gum. So I just have the thing rotting in my junk drawer, waiting for an eternity that it will eventually be brought back to life.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:20 AM
boku girl

If you don't want it, I'll take it.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Goodbye!

I'm facing a country-wide move in the near future, so I'm finally digging out my old CD collection and backing them up. The obvious choice for that is using Exact Audio Copy to make FLAC files and I think that means I'm basically going to give up on the mp3 in the near future.

I listen to a lot of music from my PC, and have a nice pair of bamboo YU2 speakers with a built-in DAC that I love.

In terms of portable listening, I have PowerAmp on my Android phone. It plays FLAC and has a bunch of equalization options that I wish I was more knowledgeable about. I'd LOVE a great pair of headphones, but to be honest, most of my phone listening is stand-up comedy albums and podcasts, so it's really not a priority for me.

I'd like to think once we move and get settled into our new situation I will start to lavish more time and money on my listening situation.

Edit: backing up my CDs has been harrowing - it makes me realize how much of my music taste was determined by the years 2004-7. I have SO MANY CDs from 2006, it's crazy.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Absolutely The Worst

This makes me want to pull out the MiniDisc players we have in storage somewhere. We got them on clearance after MiniDisc was no longer in vogue or the superior listening option. They were lots of fun to use tho.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:08 AM
boku girl

Man, you have multiple minidisc players and I can't even find one?

I can think of nothing more vaporwave than minidisc.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Teg: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I kinda do want this, but more out of curiosity than anything else. I missed out on the mini-disc era; more than likely I was still using CDs at the time.

I just need to find a way to charge or replace the battery, and that's not gonna happen this month. Even after I do that, I may end up disappointed... there's no telling if it'll work.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Minidisc was great. At the time it was nice to be able to record digitally and you could even reorder tracks. Plus, it just looked futuristic and cool as hell.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM
hidden in snow

This is my main listening device nowadays. Itís still stock, and my 2 year old came in and jacked around with it, so the needleís a bit bent. Still works, though now Iím going down the rabbit hole of researching upgrades.

Hi-fi vinyl guys are scary, though. One post I read talked about always making sure your turntable is perfectly level, and another one said his house is older and shifts a bit, so itís tough to keep it balanced. No problem said guy #1, just get a couple of floor jacks and a pair of 2x10ís, and lift up the house underneath the turntable. Problem solved!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM

This is why I don't do analog formats
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM

I just don't get the appeal of having music on vinyl at all. It's expensive and finicky and doesn't have basic user conveniences like skipping tracks or anything. I think I must be too young for vinyl to be nostalgic but too old for vinyl to be retro-cool.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM

I've heard a lot of bad vinyl
Old 04-18-2018, 11:27 AM
hidden in snow

For me, it's fun to collect them. I originally started with collecting Nine Inch Nails vinyl back in the late 90's, and then took a break until late last year. NIN again started re-releasing remastered definitive editions of their records, so I picked those up, and found my wife's childhood turntable. That spiraled out into video game soundtracks, other general music albums, and getting a good turntable.

I only listen to music when I'm working in the home office, and it gives me a little break every now and then when I have to flip or switch records. It's totally not convenient, and I'm not one that prescribes to Vinyl is the Best and Only Format, it's just fun. It also gives you a ton of things you can do after the fact, like swapping out the sleeves, protecting the cardboard, etc. Very similar to comic collecting, vintage game collecting, etc, all stuff that I've also done in the past.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:59 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Since I mentioned native (ish, in the case of stuff like NSFE, VGM, etc. formats that droidsound/winamp extensions support) playback of tracker and synth music, I figure I should also mention the setup that I have for that other, misunderstood synth data format: MIDI.

Especially if I'm doing work with audio (i.e., trackers, midi, etc.) I'm going to be using my computer. It's basically the place I listen to most of my music from at least when I'm not at work. When it comes to MIDI my setup has two main steps

1. Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth (a soundfont loader that can replace the standard SoundCanvas-based setup most Windows machines have had since the later 90s). In addition to loading soundfonts it also can be used to configure the MS midi mapper, so you can use it with any program; it also has a renderer that can convert files directly into a sampled format using the active soundfont(s).

2. This OPL3 emulator driver. It's reasonably accurate and makes for a great way to get OPL3-style synth playback out of, say, MIDI data in DOSBox (which in most cases get passed through the default midi mapper -- which Virtual MIDI Synth can have set to this).

By the way, my current soundfont is this wonderful little one which is the best softsynth I've heard since the days of the late, great Wingroove. Speaking of which... (NOTE: I haven't actually tried that one)

And also, speaking of OPL3, I am not aware of any trackers that compose in the style of the OPL3 synth other than AdlibTracker, which runs natively in DOS or by way of DOSBox. There isn't something for more modern windows in the style of Famitracker or VGM MM. Alas!
the worst part about switching to OSX was all my midis suddenly sounding different.

Then the OS dropped midi support altogether, which was another pain in my ass, so I started an applescript workflow that loaded the windows soundfont, ran my midis through it, and saved them to a folder as some other format. Not ideal, but when you love something, you know?

That said, despite the *OS* not supporting midi, GarageBand absolutely does, and droppind a midi in there sounds AMAZING.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:45 AM
boku girl

I was out thrifting the other day and found a vintage Denon fully automatic turntable, fully serviced and repaired at $300. I've been looking for a turntable, and although that's a bit more than I wanted to pay, that's also a damn good price for a turntable that fits all my needs. I'm kind of into the idea of buying this stupid thing?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Oh shit, good to know! I hope I still have the pair I broke ...
Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I was super sad when my iPod classic gave up the ghost. I begrudgingly got an iPod touch. I still miss my classic, but it's nice being able to download audiobooks from my library and alternate music programs. I found one called "Smart Shuffle" that let's you make various full album shuffles I'm fond of.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:30 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I have a couple of friends who recently sent in their iPod classics to a service that upgrades their hard drive to 512GB. These are the kinds of music nerds I associate with.

(I myself only keep 10-15 artists on my phone at any given time, based on current obsessions)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

This is my main listening device nowadays. Itís still stock, and my 2 year old came in and jacked around with it, so the needleís a bit bent. Still works, though now Iím going down the rabbit hole of researching upgrades.
hey i have the same table. Also mostly stock changed the cartridge (dont exactly remember why lol) and the platter mat, even though the stock one is pretty good anyway