The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 01-04-2019, 05:06 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

The verdict is in. "Head Cage" by Pig Destroyer slays.

Just wanted you all to be aware.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post

Heck yeah, it does. The latest Psycroptic, "As the Kingdom Drowns", has been getting a ton of play since I picked it up. It's still got a ton of riffing, but they also can lay back and work an atmospheric vibe.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 PM
HAMKING

Quote:

Oh hell yes, it does! Much better than Book Burner (which I also liked). My fave might always be Phantom Limb, but IT'S NOT THE PAST ANYMORE AND THINGS IS DIFFERENT
Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I revisited Terrifyer and Phantom Limb a few times, and Book Burner once. Something in me has changed since the last time I listened to Phantom Limb, because wow, that album is rad. It is thrashy as all fuck.

Book Burner has always been a bummer for me. It has some strong material, it's not a bad album. But it sounds so stunted and dull compared to what came before it.

Head Cage, after one spin, left me feeling blah. I was disappointed. Then I listened to it again, and bam, it just clicked. By the end of the fourth listen, I knew it was special. It ALSO is thrashy as fuck, but in a way that is way more groovy than anything else they've done. And they've always been fairly groovy. Like, I'm not saying Head Cage is better than their previous work, but I think I'm convinced it's as good as anything else they've done, it's just different.

And Ryan fucking loves groove, and this album delivers on that front. The guitar playing seems a little more technical than before as well, and the songcraft too. I mean it's not an album for purists, that's for sure. But I stopped being a purist a long time ago. It's almost not a grind album. It's like...ok yeah it's really grindy for thrash, or it's extremely thrashy and groovy for grind, but however you want to look at it, it's just dope. And part of why it's so good, is even if it isn't a pure grind assault, or whatever, this album is fucking brutal and kick-ass. It's a clean modern production, but it doesn't suffer from the stunted sound of Book Burner. No, Head Cage has meat and teeth, in all aspects. Production, songwriting, performances, all of it.

This is way more than I intended to write, sorry. Hail Pig Destroyer!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Head Cage is maybe my top album of 2018. Fully unreal.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:06 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I don't have my finger on the pulse of the underground any more, so I don't know about the latest and greatest of what's going on in the scene.

But when I opened my bandcamp app on Friday, I had a notification about this album, which also was released on Friday.

Ossuarium - "Living Tomb"

The album sounds just like that album art looks. It's murky, dark, old school death metal. It has that original evil kind of sound. It uses clean sounding guitars (but with effects like delay and phaser and reverb, it sounds like) for the gloomier, slower parts. I definitely get dISEMBOWELMENT vibes.

And you know, if the whole album was dirges for 40 minutes, I would have been bored and not given it a second thought.

Thankfully though, this album also knows when to kick your chest in with badass old school death metal stomps. There are some heavy grooves that will make you headbang. It ain't fancy and technical, but it sure is effective.

And while the tone of the album is murky, the production is fucking thick and chunky as hell. It's actually a clear production, used to make a murky atmosphere, and my goodness, there is no lack of low end.

In short, I'm glad I found this. I've been spinning it quite a bit since I purchased it on Saturday.

If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, then click on the link and pick a track to check out. "Corrosive Hallucinations" is the one I heard first, which made me want to hear more. But "Vomiting Black Death" might be my single favorite track on the album. Check this album out, if you like your death metal old school and evil, you won't be disappointed.

edit: The last track might also be my favorite single track on the album. Just sayin'.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM

couple of tech/brutal death metal stuff i've been enjoying that is kinda unknown
https://thanatologyproductions.bandc...m/track/sign07
Chinese band themed after the troma films (one of the tracks on here is about poultrygeist) linking this track because i love how much work the snare drum does on it

and this one is just the most insanely technical record. Wish the quality was better on this upload, but you can still get the gist of it. The part from about :30 - 1:00 in particular is unweildy. This entire album is 3 tracks and it's the only thing they've ever released tho

Also, don't confuse this cytotoxin, a swedish band that plays technical death metal, with the other cytotoxin, a german band that plays technical death metal
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM

oh and i shouldn't neglect to mention descravity has a new album and it's as technical as always
Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Ok so that Cytotoxin track sounds like noisy trash, except that it's actually pretty damn interesting musically. Maybe I don't like the noodley arpeggio sweeps (I don't know if they're actually arpeggios but you know what I mean when you hear them), but they actually find time to groove a little bit, and the end sounds like....shoegaze except with blinding double bass?

Is there a way to legally/legit download the EP?

edit: The Descravity track is impressive, technically, but the Cytotoxin track made a better impression on me overall. Just sharin' my thought.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 02-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Ok so that Cytotoxin track sounds like noisy trash, except that it's actually pretty damn interesting musically. Maybe I don't like the noodley arpeggio sweeps (I don't know if they're actually arpeggios but you know what I mean when you hear them), but they actually find time to groove a little bit, and the end sounds like....shoegaze except with blinding double bass?

Is there a way to legally/legit download the EP?

edit: The Descravity track is impressive, technically, but the Cytotoxin track made a better impression on me overall. Just sharin' my thought.
I don't really know. This band has basically no online presence, the album was independently released as only a digital copy, but i have no idea where. Honestly I just assume it was submitted to some blog back when that was a thing to do and it's just traveled from that. I just got it on slsk and I don't really feel like it's an immoral thing especially in this case.

e: though probably worth mentioning that that youtube was uploaded by a record label (of sorts?) but there's nothing on their bandcamp page for this, and their website returns a 410
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
HAMKING

Is it this same Cytotoxin?

https://uniqueleaderrecords.bandcamp...um/gammageddon

Also FUCK YEAH Desecravity! I think I like this new one the best out of their discography. They really do the post-Cryptopsy wild-ass tech death thing very well. Another band that, while different (for instance - no guitar solos) that also captures that kind of swirling chaos very well is Serocs, who released a new one last year that is killerrrrrrr

https://everlastingspewrecords.bandc...s-deimos-suite

Everlasting Spew has become one of my favorite labels to watch lately, too. Tons of quality stuff there.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I don't get too into tech death for the most part. It is impressive, but I get lost with all the high flying technicality. I'm not really knocking it, it's just not my thing.

But I do love some Cryptopsy. I thought their four album streak from "None so Vile" to "Once Was Not" was excellent. On those albums they found the balance between technicality, brutality, and groove.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokrap of Croton View Post
Nah that's the German one. But i mean, of course two completely unrelated bands with the same name that formed around the same time have to sound near identical

Then again they could be the same and people just have some info wrong. Everything i know about the Swedish one is from metal-archives and it's only that it's a one man band by a guy named Simon, but I can't actually tell where the source of that is from
Old 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM

also here's a really well curated list of tech death bands with a lot of stuff from the fringes. worth a look and contains everything from like, early thrash bands that leaned towards death metal to some more prog metal stuff to deathcore etc.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/RNG/t...h-mercenarion/
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 AM
HAMKING

Oooh I’ll check that out.

Been a good time lately for “Morbid Angel taken to its logical extreme” death! The new Hate Eternal was bo$$ and I just discovered there is a new Prion coming!

https://prion.bandcamp.com
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Not music, but related:

Anyone see Lords of Chaos? Any thoughts, blood screeds?

I thought it was great as a vehicle to take the piss out of the whole thing, as well as turning into a Coen bros like crime farce at end.

As someone who is very familiar with story, far before I was into black metal, I thought it was very well represented. They obviously fictionalized a lot, in relation especially to Euryonmous' POV, and def threw garbage person Varg under the bus.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Sorry, not quite metal, but Lust Control - The Big "M"
Old 03-23-2019, 01:41 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Asthma Castle has FINALLY released a new album. Gave it a spin, and then bought it because duh. First impression was that it's PRETTY FUCKEN GOOD. If you've never heard these guys before, they're basically the most aggressive "stoner" metal band I've heard so far, and they're really fucking good at it.

Mount Crushmore

Tags
koЯnsyrup , music , \m/