The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

There was a fair bit of KeyForge talk a couple of pages ago in this thread, but just to remind folks, it's a Richard Garfield card game with blind boxes of unique fixed decks. Those decks have unique, algorithmically-generated names, and, as you might expect, that leads to problems and hilarity:

Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

(It is time to shame you for hotlinking)

"The Boy who Basically Headbutts Heaven" is one of the most awesome names possible. I don't see any problems there. But why was "Racism" even in their algo? My brother suspects that these are 'shopped, and on reflection, I think he's probably right. I haven't seen a single Keyforge card outside of these, so I don't know if these follow the right pattern.

The sad news is that the decks that they deem to have "inappropriate names" are not tournament-legal, so if these pictures are legit, someone is going to have to leave headbutting heaven to the privacy of his own home. (They are offering replacement decks for anyone who turns in a bad one, though.)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Saving everyone the trouble:

Old 11-14-2018, 06:37 PM
I have a Plan

Spirit Island kickstarter continues and I think today's spirit might very well be my new main.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Space dad

If you missed out on Blood Rage the first time keep an eye out; CMON is apparently running a KS for the digital version that will include the board game as well, AND new versions of the promo stuff.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
There was a fair bit of KeyForge talk a couple of pages ago in this thread, but just to remind folks, it's a Richard Garfield card game with blind boxes of unique fixed decks. Those decks have unique, algorithmically-generated names, and, as you might expect, that leads to problems and hilarity:
And now you can search/browse the entire database of hilarious names. Post your favorites!
  • Exceedingly Reasonable Honk
  • Intermittently Magnificent Tadd
  • Powell the Factually Romantic
  • The Golem who Unsees Love
  • The Boy who Cares for Money
  • Beerquake of the Professor's School
  • Princess "Wet Blanket" Kendall
  • The Song that Criticizes Wrinkles
  • Bottomique, the Assassin of the Bolthole

Reminder that these are the registered decks -- these are the ones that made it through. That's right: the algorithm generated names that FFG deemed more offensive than "Bottomique, the Assassin of the Bolthole," a name that somehow manages to fit four butt references into three words.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Woof thanks for the laugh. I found:
  • Bustmannus Æmberson-Seprador, Bard

You're gonna need a stage name, buddy.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I'm still having trouble just believing Keyforge is real and now you show me this.

"Lana, Innscester Researcher"
Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
If you missed out on Blood Rage the first time keep an eye out; CMON is apparently running a KS for the digital version that will include the board game as well, AND new versions of the promo stuff.
Meh. Save your money and get Rising Sun instead. (Or, if you're not opposed to wooden pieces and cute yet fierce woodland creatures, skip both and get Root.)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Space dad

I have Rising Sun.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I have Rising Sun.
I meant anyone else that might not have any of the three!

Edit: also, out of curiosity, which do you prefer between Blood Rage and Rising Sun?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Space dad

I haven't played Blood Rage! It's KS campaign fell in my 9-month "just working temp" window and I didn't know CMON was already doing the "$1 now and the rest later" thing for its pledges, so I missed out. That's why I'm excited about this. I was hoping to play it with Dan Hsu (he kept bringing it to Talcon) but he moved away.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:55 PM
hidden in snow

Got our Kickstarter copy of Fireball Island and the expansions. Haven’t played it other than my daughter using it as a play set, but have component impressions:
  • The cards and the custom sleeves are really good quality.
  • The box is really cheap. It's corrugated cardboard, without the protective sticker edge. Don't see it lasting a super long time.
  • There's no storage in the box at all. I haven't opened the expansions, don't know if they'll all fit.
  • The plastic mold island looks nice, but I can see rough kids destroying it quickly.
  • The cardboard bits are pretty soft, and won’t withstand many deconstructions. Good thing they’re only for aesthetics.
  • My son already lost one of the deluxe marbles.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Cookie Clicker Champion

At least it looks impressive with child for scale!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Sudden chomper

My cousin ordered a copy of that, if it arrives before Christmas we might even play a round. We both had the original game as kids - still do, actually. Wonder what I could get for my copy on eBay at this point?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Inherently Stealthy

My copy arrived today. Haven't unpacked it yet but since we're doing board games today we'll probably give it a spin.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Question

We played some Fireball Island last night! General consensus was that it was much less hectic and much more tactical than it initially appeared. The marbles are less "devastation sweeps across the board" and more "standing over there is bad right now". Some zones are definitely safer than others, and it's not always obvious which is which. The deluxe marlbes are really nice too.

We didn't play with any of the expansions (other than the fifth player) but we're all looking forward to shenanigans with snakes, bees, and giant boulders.

Interestingly even our players who are normally very hesitant to use PvP mechanics immediately got very in to using fiery doom to sabotage other players. A big win for tactile factors!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM
hidden in snow

I bought three iPad versions of board games: Race for the Galaxy, Through the Ages, and Twilight Struggle. I have passing experience with Race, so that’s the one I’ve tried so far. The app is extremely slick, and the tutorials do a good job of explaining some of the rules, but they don’t go super deep into the iconography. I’ve played a few matches and have done better than I did back when I had the card version, or the old freeware PC one. I haven’t bought any of the expansions, will stick with the base one and try out strategies. Recommended.

I’ll try out the other games later. I did boot up Through the Ages, and the initial impression was similar to the Stone Age iPad conversion, a little jumbled but gets the job done.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Space dad

I've played both the Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle apps a lot; both are quite good.

By the way, CMON is doing a very brief Kickstarter for Blood Rage for the new digital version, but there's a pledge level that comes with new sculpts of the promo stuff for the base game, and you can add on the base game for $60 as an extra, so it's basically a redux of the original with different extras so KS purists can only pound their chests in rage over the technically exclusives they're now "denied."

Anyway, since the promos are HECK OF expensive (I just sold the Mountain Giant that came with my Rise of Moloch pledge for the same amount as the new exclusives-inclusive Blood Rage pledge tier) it's probably your best bet to get the whole package (minus some stuff available at retail).
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM
King Of Space-Time

Monopoly pizza edition is here, complete with Parmesan-shaker token

Quote:
Board game review site Dice Tower News notes that when players collect trios of the same “color” toppings—like all veggies, for example—they create a “combo pie” such as Veggie Lover’s or BBQ. The player who collects the most pizza slices and money wins the game, which makes this slightly different from standard Monopoly, which does not have pizza. Just to be clear.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

Regarding Fireball Island I got my copy as well (basic game with painted pawns). Hope to give it a whirl at some point.
ALSO!

Broken Token is working on a storage option but in the meantime has two items for your game.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I played Tragedy Looper for the first time last night. That game was way more fun than I thought it was going to be! I was pretty dubious going in, because the deviantart anime aesthetic wasn't doing much for me (I think you could hang an entirely different theme on the game's bones and have a better game, and this is coming from someone who enjoys anime), and I remember bouncing hard off of Mogri's Let's Play of it last year. Much like I remember from that Let's Play, I felt hopelessly lost after the rules explanation, as did everyone else at the table, but then things started to click and we actually won scenario 1 by the skin of our teeth. I had to take a lot of notes, though! It almost felt like I was playing Clue in some ways.

I gather from our host/mastermind, who was also learning the game with us, that the manual left a lot to be desired. It's not quite "machine translated from Japanese" bad, but stuff was really unclear and poorly organized, as were the reference cards that we were provided. At least put the character names in alphabetical order, game. Or any identifiable order, for that matter! My favourite confusing notation was that powers which are described as "1 x ∞" mean that you can only use them once per loop, not, as a reasonable person might intuit, an infinite number of times. And don't even get me started on how confusing it was to have a Murderer and a Killer and a Serial Killer and those all being distinct roles with distinct rules.

Anyway, it was a really unique game. It felt like cooperative puzzle solving, which is extremely my jam (still waiting for the third game in the We Were Here series on Steam), and I look forward to playing more of it at some point. Hopefully soon, while I still have some clue what I'm doing!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I gather from our host/mastermind, who was also learning the game with us, that the manual left a lot to be desired.
You cannot possibly guess how true this is

Tragedy Looper is an excellent game, though. I love it.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Getting saddled with being the Zombie Lord before I even got to do anything wasn't exactly the best first impression for Betrayl At House On The Hill.

Everybody else got to talk and strategize, and I got to get fucked by the dice so I couldn't even play Zombie Fire Emblem effectively. That was miserable! Arkham Horror might be a rules nightmare, but at least it doesn't banish a player to the no fun zone.

I put on a brave face for my friends, but I checked out after the third turn of zombiedom: when it became clear that my job was to not move and wait to get clowned on.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 12-31-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

That just about sums up my first impression of Betrayal, so you're in good company, Lancer.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Betrayal is a great game, even though it's not a very good game.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Our last game was the opposite: there were so many bats and we were in such bad positions that it was impossible for the party to do anything to stop them.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Arkham Horror might be a rules nightmare, but at least it doesn't banish a player to the no fun zone.
I've definitely been knocked down twice in a row (skip a turn) and then Lost in Time and Space (skip 2 turns) right afterwards. That's still not as bad though.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I've definitely been knocked down twice in a row (skip a turn) and then Lost in Time and Space (skip 2 turns) right afterwards. That's still not as bad though.
oh yeah, it's been a while - I forgot about knock downs, and I thought Lost in Time and Space was a one turn dealio
Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Got my son Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu for xmas

It's like a chill version of Arkham Horror, but it's super fun and brisk. Loved it!

Tags
afk , bard games , beard james , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it