Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

JOESTAR
Old 12-20-2018, 04:25 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
I'm a fan of STARATS because of palindromes, but I think it was called pretty early on that it's "Staken". An echo fighter to Sta-ryu, you see.
Sure was.

I'll be sure open the next name up to actual voting, though. My "first name wins" deal was a "wait what if no one... reads the thread???" safety precaution.

Apparently people don't hate my literally-writing-the-update-as-I-play style, tho.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:08 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I am in the process of putting this on my SNES Classic RIGHT NOW
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

The first name offered for Starmie was Staken, which means it won. Sorry about any confusion! I really didn't expect this thread to get as much attention as it is, so I just want to say, thank you for reading my dumb semi-live-blogged playthrough of Pokemon Roaming Red! Going forward, all votes will be normal most-votes-wins deals with time cut-offs instead of the weird thing I was doing before.

This is my first LP that went anywhere, can you tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
I am in the process of putting this on my SNES Classic RIGHT NOW
I'm glad I could raise awareness of this hack! It's quickly becoming my favorite way to play Pokemon Gen 1, even moreso than FireRed / LeafGreen. I super want to see more generations get hacks like this.

So the easiest way to get to Pewter City is by going back up Cycling Road, going to Vermillion City via Saffron, and taking Diglett Cave.

And that's why we're going the opposite direction.

Which lands us on Route 15.

Trainer Pokemon are hitting truly absurd levels at this point. Not much longer before the entire game will be higher level than the vanilla Elite Four.

You might think this is a risky battle for Staken (who we'll rename once we get back to Lavender Town), but Generation 1 likes all its Grass types to also be Poison types. And Poison is weak to Psychic, just like Koga's gym did not demonstrate.

Mind, we still have to lick our wounds after every single battle.

Which is extra annoying because this one fence post makes us walk across the entire city to get to the Poke Center.

I could invest money into healing supplies. But I'd really like to buy more performance-enhancing vitamins.

On our way back out, I remember this checkpoint has a second floor.

Aide "Hi! Remember me? I'm PROF.OAK's AIDE! If you caught 50 kinds of POKEMON, I'm supposed to give you an EXP.ALL! So, JOEY! Have you caught at least 50 kind of POKEMON?"

Joey "Does six count? Well, I only really caught two."

Aide "Oh. I see."

No Experience Share for us. Which is fine, because this is the generation where it takes all day after every faint to tell you the exact amount of EXP each Pokemon got.

Staken is our fastest, and therefore easiest-to-use Pokemon. Which is convenient because it can sweep all the Bird Keepers on Route 15 pretty effortlessly, with Pants or Firerat swapping in for Beauties and Jr. Trainer Fs.

Firerat tried to learn Growth a level 41, but I said no. It doesn't really fit in with his high base Attack stat. Something I'm learning this run is that the Eeveelutions are actually pretty good, especially considering Flareon is the "worst" one. I always assumed they were tragically awful like Pikachu and Raichu.

Bikers are the Worst because at this level, every Weezing just uses Explosion. Every single time. Pants Double Teams and waits or Spinyrat Lovely Kisses into Body Slam spam to deal with them.

Muk is no better - they've all got Minimize to boost their evasion and Acid Armor to boost their defense. Turns out Muk is an extremely good poison-and-stall Pokemon, despite its poor typing (Poison) for the generation. Who knew?

Between Ninetales and Charizard, it looks like Route 15 is the Fire Route instead of the Ditto Route for this seed.

Every single Biker is a hard-won battle.

Route 13 has this fence maze full of Bird Keepers, yet another thing I completely forgot about from Gen 1. Not a huge deal, almost the entire team has a way to deal with Flying-types. Spinyrat has Ice Beam, Staken has Thunderbolt, and Pants is the strongest Pokemon alive, of course.

The Route 15 - Route 12 journey is probably the greatest number of trainers we've faced in one go. Which is a big deal, because except for when we caught Pants up with Firerat after trashing Celadon Gym, we're not fighting any wild Pokemon. We get into encounters with them for Joey's Field Notes, but we always run.

You know that thing I said about Bird Keepers being not a huge deal? I was wrong. Every. Single. Fearow. Knows Hyper Beam. The attack that's so good we spent ten hours in the hyperbolic time chamber gambling to get it.

At level 44, Staken replaces Thunderbolt with Ice Beam. Ice Beam still has Flying-type coverage, but also gets very valuable Dragon-type coverage. It's also slightly more thematically appropriate.

In the very same battle Spinyrat learned Earthquake, replacing the relatively bad Super Fang with one of the best moves in the game period. Useless against all these Bird Keepers, though.

Oh that's bad. There's only one Bicycle in Pokemon Red. Which means that items haven't swapped places in this hack. They're actually randomized. I did some testing, and sure enough, items are different if you reload a save and pick them up again. This is either extremely cool or the worst, depending on the player.

Personally, I'd prefer every item to be the same for every player playing the same seed. As it is, this went from "I bet this is cool to speedrun / race" to "reset-until-you-find-a-bicycle: the speedgame" for me.

* "I wonder which is stronger, male or female POKEMON?"

Joey "Pants is female, so female Pokemon are stronger."

This NPC is great because only the Nidoran line acknowledges the existence of gender whatsoever in Gen 1. If it's not clear, I've been completely arbitrarily deciding genders for Pokemon that don't have a canon gender. All Nidoqueens are female, and all Starmies are non-gendered, though.

Hey, remember when I didn't even bother with Route 12 back when we were first exploring Lavender Town's outskirts? I wonder why I did that.

This guy gives us a Super Rod! Now we can fish for good Pokemon.

Before we can do that, though, we meet the other Snorlax! We're gonna catch this one!

It's a Gengar!

An Ultra Ball and a Great Ball later, it joins Team Top Percent with... a pretty cool moveset? Except for Explosion. I'm sure Explosion is great, but we don't have the kind of money needed to invest in tons of Revives. Gengar's high speed, Hyper Beam immunity, and juicy Special make it a force to be reckoned with. I'm not even sure what else we'd want in a Gengar other than Minimize or Double Team.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

* "I'd rather be working!"

Oooof, that hits a sore spot. Me too buddy, me too.

Anyway, Route 12 is full of Fisherman many of which use full parties of easy-peasy Magika-

Wait what. I was almost certain most of these guys had Magikarp. I had this whole bit about Gyarados and everything. Well, whatever.

They've got Water Pokemon, Gengar has Thunderbolt. This is pretty cut and dry. There were no Gyaradoses.

We get back to Lavender Town without issue and get Staken named. In a way, this was the best town to start in for a LP, just because the Name Rat-er's here.

Off-screen, we go back to Celadon City, buy ourselves up to 20 Revives, hopefully covering us for the rest of the game. We also grab two Calciums for Staken, since it needs a little bit more firepower in its Special stat.

On our way back to where we met "Snorlax", we do some fishing, and find a Gyarados, some Krabby, and even the world's beefiest Magikarp. It looks like the fishing encounter tables have been un-changed by the randomizer, though they are scaling levels and evolutionary stages, of course.

To the West of where "Snorlax" point, we find the Route 11 checkpoint with a kid that wants a Nidorino for his "Nidorina." I'm making a note of this one, too.

There's also an Aide that will give us an Itemfinder if we've caught 30 Pokemon, but I don't even really want to think about items anymore.

Route 11 itself is just a big field full of trainers. Usually there would be loads of Drowsee here. No idea why I remember that.

After clearing out Route 11, we dip into Vermillion City to heal and resupply before heading to Diglett Cave, which sits between the two.

Diglett Cave is, as in vanilla Red, basically just a big ol' tube.

Dug by Venomoth and Slowbro, apparently. We snag ourselves a Slowbro. Slowbro is not part of Team Top Percent - we'll eventually be trading it off to that kid in the Route 18 checkpoint.

Did you know? Slowbro is "the Hermitcrab Pokemon" according to the Pokedex. That's why Joey takes his own notes on paper. Technology is stupid.

On the Route 2 end of Diglett Cave, we spot the entrance to the newly-created second portion of Diglett Cave that leads to Cinnabar Island. Spoilers: it is also just a tube.

Diglett Cave opens up to just North of Viridian Forest, mere steps away from Pewter City.

We take the opportunity to deposit Slowbro - it's not a member of Team Top Percent, and has not been authorized to participate in combat operations by management.

There's not really a lot in Pewter City, so we waste no time in heading to the gym. The moment you've all been waiting for:

Wow. Just. Wow.

Wow.

Since we covered so much ground this update, I made a diagram tracing our path across Kanto.

DECISION POINT

Our hero, Joey, explored the majority of Kanto's East coast, taking the least reasonable path possible to reach Pewter City. There he made a complete joke of Brock's Rock-type gym.

What fresh hot adventure is in store for our hero next? Cerulean City, Saffron City, and Cinnabar Island await. Technically, we could do the Seafoam Islands dungeon and catch whatever flavor of legendary Ice bird we have as well. Regardless of where we go, we'll stop by Viridian Forest and Pallet Town first because it's as good a time as any. We'll do normal voting, like normal people. Voting cuts off at 6pm EST Saturday (12/22/2018).

Gengar needs a name! Normal voting for this one, too! And yes, I am going to go aaaaaaallll the way back to Lavender Town again to rename him.

Team Top Percent is...
Pants the Top Percentile Raticate
Firerat the Red-Hot Flareon
Spinyrat the Ice Mountain Nidoqueen
Staken the Oceanic Speedster Starmie
??? the Phantom Blaster Gengar

Joey's Field Notes

Route 15 Encounters
  • Ninetales
  • Charizard

Route 14 Encounters
Can't get to them, a tree's in the way.

Route 13 Encounters
NONE

Route 12 Fishing Encounters
  • Krabby
  • Gyarados
  • Magikarp

Route 11 Encounters
Checkpoint has "Nidorina" on offer for Nidorino.
  • Wigglytuff
  • Tangela

Diglett Cave Encounters
  • Venomoth
  • Slowbro
  • Mr. Mime
  • Scyther
  • Ninetales
  • Alakazam
  • Golduck

Route 2 Encounters
  • Kabutops
  • Butterfree
  • Arbok

Previous Notes

Route 7 Encounters
  • Gastly
  • Caterpie
  • Nidoran M
  • Nidoking
  • Golbat
  • Paras
  • Magmar
  • Gloom
  • Metapod
  • Parasect
  • Nidorino
  • Haunter
  • Electrode

Route 8 Encounters

Route 10 Encounters
NONE

Route 12 Encounters
Full of water

Route 16 Encounters
There's a tree and a Snorlax in the way!

Route 17 (Cycling Road) Encounters
  • Jynx
  • Chansey
  • Doduo
  • Dodrio
  • Aerodactyl
  • Magneton
  • Dugtrio

Route 18 Encounters
Checkpoint has "Lickitung" on offer for a Slowbro
  • Jolteon

Pokemon Tower Encounters
  • Several Flavors of GHOST

Rock Tunnel Encounters
Floor 1
  • Snorlax
  • Jynx
  • Bulbasaur
  • Ivysaur
  • Pidgey
  • Sandshrew
  • Sandslash
  • Ponyta
  • Flareon

Safari Zone Encounters
  • Scyther
  • Electabuzz
  • Koffing
  • Fearow
  • Mr. Mime
  • Clefairy
  • Machop
  • Mankey
  • Voltorb
  • Parasect
  • Omastar
  • Venusaur
  • Beedrill
  • Weezing
  • Dragonair
  • Snorlax
  • Raichu
  • Seaking

Last edited by LancerECNM; 12-21-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:50 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Lavender Town is where Rattata go to die, and is full of Gastly. Therefore, Gengar is actually a RATGHOST.

Let's head to Seafoam, via Pallet. I am curious if you can grab a Pokemon at Oak's Lab (probably not)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Might as well hit up Cinnabar on the way and revive the Helix Fossil.

Regarding curatives, the vending machine has Full Restores at an extremely competitive price point.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:28 AM
That Pokemon Guy

I went on YouTube and one of my recommendations was a hack called Crystal Clear which is.... Gen 2 openworld with scaling Gyms?
Old 12-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I think SPOOKYRAT fits the name convention a little better, but RATGHOST is acceptable.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Holy Swine

GHOSTRAT for me. Don't really care where we go.

Good "name rat-er" joke, I enjoyed that.

Enemy golems look really weird. I don't think there were any in Red/Blue originally; maybe that's why.

Is Fissure an original Gen 1 move? I don't remember it.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Yes, let's feast!

They don't seem to have added any moves in this hack. Fissure is one of those OHKO moves that aren't very good in most games but can actually work out in gen 1 if you know what you're doing.

Gen 1 was a mistake, albeit a necessary one.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:05 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
I went on YouTube and one of my recommendations was a hack called Crystal Clear which is.... Gen 2 openworld with scaling Gyms?
Yep! I've looked into it, but the scaling only works on trainers, and is triggered by badges collected, not by your level. So it doesn't quite scratch the same itch for me - you can't go out and catch an at-party-level Pokemon, and you can't (easily) get through areas with significantly higher level Pokemon. So it's more Dragon Quest 1 open-world than SaGa Frontier open-world. Crystal Clear looks to be the best version of Crystal, with a load of quality-of-life features, but it's not what I like about Roaming Red.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:11 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Crystal Clear looks to be the best version of Crystal, with a load of quality-of-life features, but it's not what I like about Roaming Red.
*squints*

you talkin' bad about anniversary crystal in this thread?
Old 12-21-2018, 07:05 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
*squints*

you talkin' bad about anniversary crystal in this thread?
Pst... I'm LPing that one asap
Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 PM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

EDIT: I think I replied too late, missing that a second page exists

ARBOK named KENS (that's SNEK spelled backwards)
Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

This post brought to you by the scream-y bits of Drakengard 3's soundtrack.

Sorry it's been a few days, I was busy locked in mortal combat with Phantasy Star 2. Let's see what location won...

Quote:
Seafoam Islands
oh

oh no

Our first objective is to get Firerat some levels - he's falling behind hard, and won't be able to keep up unless we give him a hand. We use Route 2 for this purpose.

Almost immediatley, Firerat upgrades Flamethrower to Fire Blast. Normally I wouldn't take this trade-off in a million years, but Roaming Red has taught me we have to risk it to get the biscuit. Also: X Accuracy can neutralize its biggest problem - missing.

Dig is once again proving itself to be the secret MVP of Firerat's moveset, using it dodge wild Kabutops' Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam (why does everything know Hyper Beam???) more than once.

After Firerat hits level 48, we drop by Vermillion City and head North to get back to Lavender Town through Saffron City. I only mention this because it means we get into a few trainer battles on the way.

The birds out here are making a certain witch proud.

You know, Marisa? Love-Colored Master Spark? No? Okay.

Anyway, we get Ratghost named. Ratghost got 1.5 votes, unlike the clearly superior Ghostrat and Spookyrat, but I am a man of the people and this is a democracy.

We return to Pewter City, and head south through Route 2 to Viridian Forest. In case you're curious, while you can go straight from Diglett Cave to Pewter City, you need Cut to go straight to Viridian City, so the forest is not optional for us.

Wow, Exeggutor actually makes sense for a forest biome.

The local Bug Catcher do not mess around. This Beedrill is SWOLE. It also knows Hyper Beam. No, I'm not joking.

Sadly for Gen 1 Bug-types, a level 50 Beedrill with Hyper Beam is still a Beedrill. Pants makes short work of the Bug Catchers with unbuffed Hyper Beam spam. We also found our third Bicycle.

It's not long before we're in Viridian City.

Plot flags prevent us from entering the gym. Is it badges? Dungeons? Both? We'll have to find out together.

Just wanted to note that Percy doesn't show up on Route 22. I know this encounter can be turned off in the original game, but I'm not sure exactly what causes it. It's reasonable that it could check if we've been to certain towns, or if we've beaten Brock, or if we've fought Percy elsewhere.

* "Yawn! I must have dozed off in the sun. I had a nightmare about a Drowzee eating my dream. What's this? Where did this TM come from? This is spooky!"

Joey "Don't worry, sir, I have experience with haunted items!"

* "Here, you can have this TM."

He gave us Dream Eater, a move that I've never really gotten any use out of.

Route 1 has Mr. Mime on it. No wonder Joey lives on the opposite side of the region.

We reach Pallet Town, and take in all the sights. All three sights.

Joey "Geez, I knew Pants and I were good, but I didn't think we were 'my childhood home is a tourist attraction' good!"

Mom "JOEY! You should take a quick rest."

Joey's Mom is happy to heal up our Pokemon, as always.

Joey "Wow, my old room's just how I left it!"

Oak "Good to see you! How is your POKEDEX coming? Here, let me take a look!"

POKEDEX completion is: 113 POKEMON seen, 8 POKEMON ownded.
PROF.OAK's Rating: You still have lots to do.

Ice cold. We're on an important journey to make our life harder on ourselves, Oak. You wouldn't understand.

Percy's sister gives us a Leaf Stone, which is significantly less helpful than a map. No, I'm not bitter we've haven't found the map yet, why do you ask?

Alright, time to go swimming. Staken uses Surf to turn into the rare Ocean Kirby.

Another accidentally sensible encounter.

In case you forgot why Surfing is the worst just imagine this screenshot several dozen times in a row.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:18 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

A mercifully uneventful trip later, we're on Cinnabar Island.

Another locked gym, but the key for this one is in the nearby Cinnabar Island dungeon, the Pokemon Mansion. If it's anything like my first attempted run, it will be full of Zapdos. That's for another time, though.

We dump the cash we have on hand into healing provisions. I've never done a dungeon delve as long as Seafoam Islands in Roaming Red yet. And we can escape from the dungeon itself just fine, but we don't have Teleport or Fly to quickly get back to Cinnabar Island to recover.

We grab the Dome Fossil to fluff up the image count for this update prep for having it revived. Also, the Dome Fossil's Kabuto, not Omanyte like I said earlier in the LP. I'm bad at video games!

Important Doctor "Hiya! I am important doctor! I study here rare POKEMON fossils! You! Have you a fossil for me?"

Joey "Sure, you seem trustworthy and well-localized!"

Important Doctor "Oh! That is DOME FOSSIL! It is a fossil of KABUTO, a POKEMON that is already extinct!"

Joey "Have you double checked, because I've seen dozens of Kabutops in the past hour alone."

Important Doctor "My Resurrection Machine will make that POKEMON live again!"

Joey "I feel like not considering the implications of this at all and getting a new Pokemon!"

Important Doctor "So! You hurry and give me that! I take a little time! You go for walk a litle while!"

Joey "Sure!"

Joey "He's probably done by now."

Important Doctor "Where were you?"

Joey "I stepped outside for like two minutes."

Important Doctor "Your fossil is back to life! It was KABUTO like I think!"

... you have got to be fucking kidding me

Quote:
a level 50 Beedrill with Hyper Beam is still a Beedrill
ours isn't even going to have Hyper Beam because it's too high a level to learn it natually like those trainer Beedrills had

that explains why it was in a tree

Fifteen minutes later we awaken as if from a trance in the Pokemon Mansion, Weedle now being a level 51 Beedrill with POISON STING and STRING SHOT.

how am i gonna

what am i gonna do

how i am supposed to make beedrill good

why

why

why

okay, keep it together Lancer

don't cry, don't cry, don't cry

we can do this

Okay, we taught it Double Team because Double Team will save anything 50% of the time. Mega Drain for the desperation healing. And Swift because it's the strongest move that Beedrill can learn that doesn't have a drawback.

Let's look on the positive side: it's very fast, and it could hit like a truck if it had a decent attacking move.

After getting ourselves together, we swim to Seafoam Islands and -

wait what

that's not supposed to

i give up

DECISION POINT

Our hero, Joey, got a Weedle and found a tree.

What exciting adventures await Joey next? A Caterpie? Maybe a level 78 Ditto? Who knows! Should we go to Cerulean City to start the road to getting Cut? Or should we do something else?

Beedrill. I guess it needs a name!

Voting cuts off on Friday, 12/28/2018. It's the holidays! You should spend time with your family instead of reading LPs, even if that family is a level 51 Beedrill.

Team Top Percent
Firerat the Red Hot Flareon
Ratghost the Phantom Blaster Gengar
??? the Completely Normal Beedrill

Joey's Field Notes

Route 2 Encounters
  • Butterfree
  • Growlithe
  • Kabutops
  • Arcanine
  • Rapidash
  • Magnemite
  • Seel
  • Ninetales
  • Dewgong
  • Rhydon
  • Magneton
  • Ekans
  • Krabby
  • Kingler

Viridian Forest Encounters
  • Exeggutor
  • Omastar
  • Voltorb
  • Lapras

Route 1 Encounters
  • Mr. Mime
  • Dugtrio
  • Machamp

Route 22 Encounters
  • Butterfree
  • Vaporeon
  • Kabutops

Previous Notes

Route 7 Encounters
  • Gastly
  • Caterpie
  • Nidoran M
  • Nidoking
  • Golbat
  • Paras
  • Magmar
  • Gloom
  • Metapod
  • Parasect
  • Nidorino
  • Haunter
  • Electrode

Route 8 Encounters

Route 10 Encounters
NONE

Route 11 Encounters
  • Wigglytuff
  • Tangela

• Krabby
  • Gyarados
  • Magikarp

Route 13 Encounters
NONE

Route 14 Encounters

Route 15 Encounters
  • Ninetales
  • Charizard

Route 16 Encounters

• Jynx
  • Chansey
  • Doduo
  • Dodrio
  • Aerodactyl
  • Magneton
  • Dugtrio

Route 18 Encounters
  • Jolteon

Pokemon Tower Encounters
  • Several Flavors of GHOST

Rock Tunnel Encounters
Floor 1
  • Snorlax
  • Jynx
  • Bulbasaur
  • Ivysaur
  • Pidgey
  • Sandshrew
  • Sandslash
  • Ponyta
  • Flareon

Safari Zone Encounters
  • Scyther
  • Electabuzz
  • Koffing
  • Fearow
  • Mr. Mime
  • Clefairy
  • Machop
  • Mankey
  • Voltorb
  • Parasect
  • Omastar
  • Venusaur
  • Beedrill
  • Weezing
  • Dragonair
  • Snorlax
  • Raichu
  • Seaking

Diglett Cave Encounters
  • Venomoth
  • Slowbro
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Having come from a fossil, I propose we name our new guy after actor playing the lead in Jurassic World. Who was that?

Why, it WAS PRATT, or WASPRAT for short.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:00 AM
earthquake ace

CURSE YOU, FOUL TREE

WHY MUST YOU STYMIE OUR EXPLORATION

in that case since we have surf let's try the power plant
Old 12-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Holy Swine

WASPRAT and power plant work for me. Pretty sure the power plant will have a tree or something though!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 PM
earthquake ace

if it does have a tree, i guess deal with misty or something whatever
Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Yes, let's feast!

RATDRILL

Beedrill is the most unfortunate combination of "awesome design" and "awful mon," edging out Sandslash.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:10 PM
That Pokemon Guy

His RATDRILL is the drill that will pierce the heavens.

Don't believe in Beedrill, believe in the me that believes in Beedrill.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:15 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
His RATDRILL is the drill that will pierce the heavens.

Don't beelieve in Beedrill, beelieve in the me that beelieves in Beedrill.
Fixed that for you.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Having come from a fossil, I propose we name our new guy after actor playing the lead in Jurassic World. Who was that?

Why, it WAS PRATT, or WASPRAT for short.
Jesus Christ (this gets my vote)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:18 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Guys I think Beedrill broke Lancer
Old 01-05-2019, 05:23 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

No, I just started streaming and have been excited about that.

But, I'm not streaming on the weekends.
so
i guess
i'll get around to doing this
i guess

come to think of it...
streaming the final update (i.e. Elite Four) might not be an awful idea

I'll decide when we get there.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 01-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

I feel like there's something I keep forgetting, but...

OH HECK

Where were we?

Right. Turns out, all the places that would have Legendaries are blocked off by trees. Go figure. At this point, we need to get to Cerulean City to start down the path of "being able to go to dungeons." Also, there's a gym there, so win / win.

We I recklessly avoided most of the trainers between Cinnabar and here, so we take the time to try to let Wasprat clown on some Water-type Pokemon.

It went as well as can be expected.

DID YOU KNOW: Cloyster learns Explosion? I didn't!

We met the rare salt water Electabuzz on the coast of Cinnabar Island.

Here's Diglett Cave poking out of the side of Cinnabar Island.

Is this a screenshot of the original Diglett Cave, or of the Cinnabar-Pewter branch? You'll never know!

We could use Diglett cave to go straight to Vermillion City, and then walk to Cerulean through Saffron.

OR.

We could go through Mt. Moon.

We're obviously going through Mt. Moon. First we have to go through Route 3, which is pretty full of trainers! Even back in the day, I'd have to heal after every trainer here.

Behold! The POWER of Route 3's first Lass. Oh yeah, I guess I should go get Wasprat named, then come back...

About twelve minutes later, we're back on Route 3 with a renamed Wasprat.

* "I always wear shorts, even in winter!"

Joey "You're a brave man. Child. A brave child."

Butterfree gets Psychic. Important to remember.

Our journey to Mt. Moon and its unusual Poke Center is soon complete, none-the-less.

Man "Hello, there! Have I got a deal just for you! I'll let you have a swell MAGIKARP for just $500! What do you say?"

Joey "Sure, I need a good laugh right now. I have a Beedrill!"

We deposit our oldest Pokemon, Firerat, and buy a...

Second Slowbro. Huh. I guess it's fate.
It's pretty much a slightly more tanky version of Staken. Well, either way, it's part of Team Top Percent.

Time to see how Mt. Moon will treat us.

Well hot damn. It wasn't in the right spot, but we found a Helix Fossil in Mt. Moon!

And TM01, Mega Punch. Pretty sure this is always here, though. TMs aren't randomized in our settings, so they all should be where they belong.

It's no longer novel when it happens, but man is it still weird to see early-game trainers packing things like Golem.

Golem knows Explosion, by the way. In case there was any doubt. Explosion is basically a guaranteed kill on any given Pokemon we have.

No matter how you cut it, a level 52 Raticate is a level 52 Raticate. Unless it's Pants.

Super Nerd "Hey, stop! I found these fossils! They're both mine!"

Joey "Uhhhh, okay? I already have plenty of fossils."

The Super Nerd is packing fully evolved Pokemon, but made the fatal mistake of them all being weak to either Psychic or Earthquake. I can relate, honestly.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

Joey "Helix Fossil? Nah, I've already got one."

Second time's the charm?

Joey "Hold on, this is just a novelty carrying case for Elixir! Well, it's still better than last time."

And with surprisingly little effort, we're out of Mt. Moon.

No stairs back to Mt. Moon, unfortunately.

* "The people here were robbed. It's obvious that TEAM ROCKET is behind this most heinous crime! Even our POLICE force has trouble with the ROCKETs!"

Joey "Really? They seem kind of like pushovers. Have you tried Earthquake? What about Psychic?"

Always like the details in this damaged house. Gives you an idea the kind of damage even a low-level Pokemon can do. Also, I don't think any of the "damaged" tiles are used anywhere else in the game. The footprints definitely aren't.

* "[i]Those miserable ROCKETs! Look what they did here! They stole a TM for teaching POKEMON how to DIG holes! That cost me a bundle, it did!"

Joey "Dig, you say? Hmmmmm."

Joey "Oh, wow, no wonder Team Rocket is such a problem. The police force is absolutely incompetent. Alright, buddy, give me the TM and nobody gets hurt."

Joey "We just haaaaad to do this the hard way, huh?"

Rocket "Stop! I give up! I'll leave quietly!"

Joey "Not with the TM, you won't."

Rocket "OK! I'll return the TM I stole! I better get moving! Bye!"

Joey "It was good doing business with you, friend."

We immediately replace Pants's Hyper Fang with Dig.

And then it's Gym o'clock, and Misty:

The more Pokemon changes, the more it stays the same. Wasprat... did a whole lot of nothing, and then Ratghost cleaned up.

We're not done yet, though!

Percy "Yo! Joey! You're still struggling along back here? I'm doing great! I caught a bunch of strong and smart POKEMON! Here, let me see what you caught, JOEY!"

I feel like this fight is a microcosm of the Roaming Red experience.

After healing Wasprat and Pants, we head onto Nugget Bridge.

I just.

*sigh*

Spinyrat brings us home, though.

Every battle. Every single battle. Wasprat got one shot. The only time it's fainted a Pokemon was VS Percy!

I'm not disappointed, Wasprat. I'm angry.

Why you can't be more like Slowbro, Wasprat? Why?

We got another Elixir out of Nugget Bridge. Not bad, not bad at all.

WHY WASPRAT.

Route 25 proves to be kind of tedious, because it's a winding walk back to Cerulean after every fight.

Even pre-naming, our Slowbro is proving to be a force to be reckoned with. He's persisted through several fights without needing to swap out.

Bill "Hiya! I'm a POKEMON... ...No I'm not! Call me BILL! I'm a true blue POKEMANIAC! Hey! What's with that skeptical look?"

Joey "I've learned to not trust people that fuse themselves with magical creatures via forbidden technology."

Bill "I'm not joshing you, I screwed up an experiment and got combined with a POKEMON! So, how about it? Help me out here!"

Joey "This is canon?"

Bill "This is canon."

Joey "Okay fine."

Bill "When I'm in the TELEPORTER, go to my PC and run the Cell Separation System!"

Joey "Suddenly the soul-fueled laser cannon in Kalos doesn't seem so weird."

Bill "Yeehah! Thanks, bud! I owe you one! So, did you come to see my POKEMON collection? You didn't? That's a bummer. I've got to thank you... Oh here, maybe this'll do."

And Bill gave us the S.S. Ticket, which will get us onto the S.S. Anne, so we can do Vermillion City now! I mean. Not literally now. But, you know.

That wraps up our time in Cerulean City, so...

DECISION POINT

Our hero, Joey, climbed a mountain, commited a crime, cried, got Cerulean City's badge, cried some more, beat up that jerk Percy, cried even more, and didn't think to hard about the implications of teleportation and human / Pokemon fusion technology.

What's up next? Vermillion City is now available, and needs to be done before we can go dungeon-diving. Also, Saffron City and Cinnabar need to be cleared. Cut would make my life a lot easier, since that means we could also get Fly. *hint-hint*

We got a second Slowbro! It needs a name! You know the drill!

Voting cuts off on Monday, 1/14/2019!

Team Top Percent
Firerat the Red Hot Flareon
Ratghost the Phantom Blaster Gengar
Wasprat the Completely Normal Beedrill
??? the Buddy System Slowbro

Joey's Field Notes

Route 21 Encounters
  • Electabuzz
  • Venomoth

Diglett Cave Part 2 Encounters
  • Blastoise
  • Venusaur
  • Clefairy
  • Exeggutor

Route 3 Encounters
  • Nidoran M
  • Nidoking
  • Goldeen
  • Muk
  • Parasect

Mt. Moon Encounters
  • Paras
  • Hitmonlee
  • Poliwrath
  • Dragonite
  • Ninetales
  • Rapidash
  • Dugtrio
  • Tangela
  • Nidoking
  • Vulpix
  • Dewgong
  • Rhydon

Previous Notes

Route 1 Encounters
  • Mr. Mime
  • Dugtrio
  • Machamp

Route 2 Encounters
  • Butterfree
  • Growlithe
  • Kabutops
  • Arcanine
  • Rapidash
  • Magnemite
  • Seel
  • Ninetales
  • Dewgong
  • Rhydon
  • Magneton
  • Ekans
  • Krabby
  • Kingler

Route 7 Encounters
  • Gastly
  • Caterpie
  • Nidoran M
  • Nidoking
  • Golbat
  • Paras
  • Magmar
  • Gloom
  • Metapod
  • Parasect
  • Nidorino
  • Haunter
  • Electrode

Route 8 Encounters

Route 10 Encounters
NONE

Route 11 Encounters
  • Wigglytuff
  • Tangela

• Krabby
  • Gyarados
  • Magikarp

Route 13 Encounters
NONE

Route 14 Encounters

Route 15 Encounters
  • Ninetales
  • Charizard

Route 16 Encounters

• Jynx
  • Chansey
  • Doduo
  • Dodrio
  • Aerodactyl
  • Magneton
  • Dugtrio

Route 18 Encounters
  • Jolteon

Route 22 Encounters