The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
His tail turns into a !

A...

Um
Something useless.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 PM
King Of Space-Time

Spinnning shield? Damn if i know...

Per TFWiki
Cyber-slash tail weapon
Old 01-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Squee I'm glad they placed
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And they almost fist-bump afterward and the fact that they don't is honestly my biggest issue with that movie.
Are you quoting my review, that I don't think is currently online anywhere (although I probably said it here too) or is it just THAT natural that everyone independently pictures it?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Natural reaction, I would think.

They come so close and then don’t do it.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

The Tyrannosaurus Rex

Yes, again

(82 Points, Adrenaline has the most love for the classics)

Traits:
The 7th time a T-Rex named T-Rex has shown up on this list
Still not the last time, either
Her name is Sue. HOW DO YOU DO?
More bones-per dino than any other T-Rex in the world

An executive decision was made shortly before we opened the park that we had just too darn many tyrannosaurs and not enough money to do a very good job of cloning them all. So when one of the higher ranking entries was just "A tyrannosaurus" we opted to cut a few corners and just cloned its skeleton back to life. And when our Genetic Fungineers told us that that was "a stupid plan", we just stole an existing dino-skeleton from Chicago.

What, Chicago has lots of skeletons. They won't miss one.

The Tyrannosaurus is one of the most popular dinosaurs in the world (as this list makes obvious), so I made the decision to instead focus specifically on Sue the Tyrannosaurus, permanent fixture of the Chicago Field Natural History Museum, as it is the largest, most complete t-rex skeleton ever discovered and is a giant dinosaur named "Sue" and I kind of love that.

Sue was named after its discovered, Susan Hendrickson, who separated from the rest of her paleontology group and just stumbled upon pieces of a giant-ass t-rex skeleton, which turned out to be in excellent health. You know, by skeleton standards, and it was eventually sold to the Chicago museum for $8,362,500. And that's in 1997 dollars!

Nobody knows Sues cause of death (cold case is still open, gumshoes!), but she was apparently quite the badass, as the small amount of damage to her skeleton was all caused by fighting with other dinosaurs. Like a boss
Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yay, Sue is great. She was just moved from the main hall to a new permanent exhibit, but I still need to visit her in the new spot. She even has a beer named after her.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

That's an old pic of Sue. They've added gastralia and altered her pose some since then!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

octo were my specific t-rex votes rolled into this generic basic-ass t-rex because if so someone's getting a lumpin
Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I had T-Rex (the species) at #17. It is a good, well-known, classic example of a dino (hence why so many fictional dinos are based off of it). Since I figured it would be on a lot of other lists I did't place it very high but it still deserved a spot on my list.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
octo were my specific t-rex votes rolled into this generic basic-ass t-rex because if so someone's getting a lumpin
Which is to say, you'll Sue.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Rise

I also have a specific T-rex but I am sure it was counted separately because Octo would not disappoint me like this
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
I also have a specific T-rex but I am sure it was counted separately because Octo would not disappoint me like this
I'm hoping mine was, too, though I can't see that many people thinking of it.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Mystery Contraption

Devil-Dinosaur

(84 Points, Lokii hails to the King)

Traits:
Super-Intelligent (by Dino standards)
Nigh-Invulnerable
Friend to inquisitive children
Head of two international terrorist organizations
Briefly a member of a criminal circus troupe
Fought Godzilla, repeatedly
Also fought Adam and Eve

A less financially adventurous company would have asked for permission before creating a cloneasaur of a character owned by the infamously litigious Disney corporation, especially one with such a storied career in costly super-crime, but we here at Jürassic Parkland are nothing if not recklessly optimistic with cost maintenance, so we went ahead and did it anyway. Ladies and gentlement, behold The Devil Dinosaur! Fresh from the alternative universe Prehistoric-Earth of Dinosaur World and, more recently, uptown Manhattan where he helps inquisitive children deal with kaiju-class threats and also acting as the head of multiple super-criminal organizations, Devil Dinosaur is one of the busiest giant monsters in the superhero business today.

Devil Dinosaur was one of the lesser-known, but still surprisingly enduring, characters created by Jack Kirby for Marvel Comics, originally created as a riff on his (slightly) more popular Kommandi series for DC, the Devil Dinosaur was a regular T-Rex mutated by exposure to fire into a giant super-dinosaur with greatly increased intelligence and strength and bright red skin, who befriended a nice caveman named Moon-Boy who nursed him back to health. After more adventures involving biblical epics and space-aliens than you might expect from a story set in caveman times, Devil Dinosaur wound up stranded in modern day Earth where he befriended Lunella "Moongirl" Lafayette, a super-intelligent Inhuman little girl who wound up receiving a magic gem that Devil was sworn to guard, and he stuck around as Present Day Earth has lots of problems that a giant invulnerable super-dinosaur can solve. And what kid doesn't want a super-dinosaur as a pet?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Devil Dinosaur is perfect except for his lack of feathers.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Funko Superfan

Yesssssss!

BONK!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Devil Dinosaur is perfect except for his lack of feathers.
They all burned off before the invulnerability kicked in.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
They all burned off before the invulnerability kicked in.
Feathers grow back.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yesssssss!

BONK!
I will hold those firemen in high esteem for even TRYING to "Hold that monster." Which also sounds like a little golden book featuring Grover and that guy Grover always annoys when he's a waiter.

I actually read all of Devil Dinosaur sometime after I submitted my list, so he would have been up a bit higher, since I've read very few Devil Dinosaur stories. That said, as bonkers as they were, it really didn't tell me much more than I already knew by A) looking at him and... that's really it. Not to say I don't love him, though.

Also, never forget.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Calvin, Pretending He's a T-Rex

(96 Points, Issun, Gunther An Otter and WildCatJF are so cool, so stupid)

Traits:
HE CAN PILOT AN F-14

Hold on to your friggin' hats, folks. Our next exhibit is something else! Up to now we've had Cloneasaurs who are gargantuan, super intelligent, famous actors, mechanical, alien, invulnerable and friendly, but this is the first dinosaur we've ever encountered that can pilot an advanced military jet-fighter! Even ignoring how a creature with the brain the size of a baseball could learn how to operate such a complex machine, there's the mystery of HOW it managed the incredible manual dexterity required to pull off even the most basic components of this. This is less an achievement of evolution as much as its proof of the impossible!

What?

Jerry, I'm in the middle of a tour, this is the worst time to inter-

What?

Okay.... well... you should have told me that earlier, Jerry.

*ahem*

Well, folks, apparently... our next exhibit is not a tyrannosaur in an F-14. It is an imaginative little boy who is pretending to be a dinosaur. This... is embarrassing.

I bet the news is going to have some... creative things to say about us for putting a child in a zoo full of giant mutant carnivores.

Calvin is one of the title characters in the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes which, not infrequently, went ahead and told stories from the perspective of Calvins imagination. And, not infrequently for a 6-year-old, these would involve him pretending he was a dinosaur. Once, he pretended he was a dinosaur who could fly an F-14.

It was So Cool and also So Stupid
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Not Constantinople

I should never have doubted.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Old 01-27-2019, 06:10 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Ankylosaurus

(96 Points, Torzelbaum gets the point)

Traits:
It's all spikes and hammers with this guy!
Calm down, buddy, we get it, you like spike-hammers
Yeesh
Used spike-hammers to hunt plants
One was named after Zuul, the Terror-Dog
Name means "Fused Lizard"

Okay, apparently we're in... some varying degrees of hot water for those last few exhibits. Boy, you steal some minor "intellectual property", "historical artifacts" or "children" and people are quick to call the lawyers. Some people are just too touchy, you know? They need some thicker skin, like our next exhibit; the Ankylosaurus! Which is one of those dinosaurs that everyone immediately recognizes, because look at 'im! Dudes, like, entirely spikes with a couple of hammers tossed in! Show me one 6-year-old that wouldn't look at that guy and immediately imprint on it forever! And that love from children is why we keep one around. That, and certainly not the fact that we're desperately grasping at straws trying to find attractions that will bring in ticket sales!

The Ankylosaurus (or Fused Lizard, thanks, Greece) was a herbivore that lived in the late Cretaceous period, between 65 and 67 million years ago, give or take a few hundred millenia. It's best known for its distinctive appearance, brought on by Evolution seeing a bunch of knives and hammers on clearance and deciding to buy out the store, figuring it would look pretty kickass if they were all glued to a big lizard-cow. And, Evolution was right, it looked cool as hell. In 2017, a new subspecies of Ankylosaurus was discovered that looked close enough to Zuul from Ghostbusters, that scientists just said "Well, heck, okay" and called it "Zuul Crurivastator", or "Zuul: Destroyer of Shins".

Which honestly, doesn't sound as cool as "crurivastator", so good job, sticking to the Latin there, Scientists. You get a gold star.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Funko Superfan

This is a good dino. Very happy to see this very strong boy in the top ten.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Nope, generic T-Rex and your vote were counted as different versions.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Funko Superfan

PHEW!

(thanks)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
This is a good dino. Very happy to see this very strong boy in the top ten.
Dan Telfer agrees.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
In 2017, a new subspecies of Ankylosaurus was discovered that looked close enough to Zuul from Ghostbusters, that scientists just said "Well, heck, okay" and called it "Zuul Crurivastator", or "Zuul: Destroyer of Shins".
Holy. Shit.

This is amaaaazing.

I've always loved good ol' Ankylo, especially since its size made it so easy for a 5 year-old to imagine as a mount or a pet. But the combination of terms for the new subspecies is hilariously goofy and awesome and adult-me wants one as a mount or a pet.

I have shinguards, so I should be all set!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I had T-Rex at #17 and Ankylosaurus at #5. Rex is a good classic example of dino but I knew it would get a lot of votes so I didn't place it too highly. I wasn't sure Ankylo would get a lot of votes (I was wrong) so I placed it fairly high.

Quote:
In 2017, a new subspecies of Ankylosaurus was discovered that looked close enough to Zuul from Ghostbusters, that scientists just said "Well, heck, okay" and called it "Zuul Crurivastator", or "Zuul: Destroyer of Shins".

Which honestly, doesn't sound as cool as "crurivastator", so good job, sticking to the Latin there, Scientists. You get a gold star.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuul
Quote:
In 2017, based on the specimen the type species Zuul crurivastator was named and described by Arbour and Evans. The generic name was adopted from the demon and demi-god Zuul, the Gatekeeper of Gozer, featured in the 1984 film Ghostbusters. This was due to Zuul's head resembling that of an ankylosaur. The specific name is derived from Latin crus, "shank", and vastator, "destroyer". The epithet, read as "Destroyer of Shins" by the naming authors, refers to a presumed defensive tactic of ankylosaurids, smashing the lower legs of attacking predatory theropods with their tail clubs.
T Rex: "I used to be an apex predator, but then I took a tail club to the knee."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Holy. Shit.

This is amaaaazing.

I've always loved good ol' Ankylo, especially since its size made it so easy for a 5 year-old to imagine as a mount or a pet. But the combination of terms for the new subspecies is hilariously goofy and awesome and adult-me wants one as a mount or a pet.

I have shinguards, so I should be all set!
I think you would also need a saddle.

Tags
deenosoars , dino damage! , if the shoebill fits , octo does not do research , top 50 countdown