The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO
Default LET'S PLAY KILLER7 - The world won't change. All it does is turn.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Let's Play Killer7.

Killer7 was first released on the Gamecube and Playstation 2 in 2005. And honestly nobody knew what to make of it. If you dig up all the old reviews written for it back in the day you'll find nothing but a sea of confused game writers trying to figure out just how in the hell they were supposed to reconcile this thing against Resident Evil 4. Confused attempts to describe the Graphics as "Cel-shaded" and plot comparisons to the Metal Gear Solid series abound. It was a game wholly unlike anything else out there, and nobody really had a category for it yet. An "Art Game" before Art Games were a thing.

The game didn't sell super great, but its immediate cult status and lasting legacy as one of the most fucked up gamecube games ever made elevated it's writer/director Suda51 from "some guy who makes weird games" to "THE GUY who makes weird games", and prompted western releases of Suda's early Japan-only games such as The Silver Case and Flower, Sun, and Rain. Crazed fanboys (such as myself) spent years begging Capcom for a remaster, and our demands were finally answered when the game got a steam re-release in November of 2018.

For this LP, I will be streaming the game to my Twitch.TV Channel, most likely with a bunch of people from my Discord Crew yelling nonsense all over it. That footage will be edited and uploaded to my Youtube Channel, before finally posting it here in this thread with accompanying write-ups. I'll try to announce my intention to stream in advance of actually going live both here and on my Twitter, but I'm bad at remembering to do that, And I'll prolly just forget.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:47 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Cool. I played the hell out of RE4, Viewtiful Joe, and P.N.03, and Dark Phoenix never came out, so this was always the random part of the Capcom 5 that I didn't know anything about. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

PROLOGUE BONUS POST!
TRIGGER WARNING: EVERYTHING

Let's get this out of the way right now. This game is fucked up. Like, seriously fucked up. "Fucked up by video game standards" fucked up. Like, the medium has had 13 years since the game's initial release, during which enormous strides have been made in the art of simulated graphic murder! You'd think that by now our standards for what qualifies as fucked up would have reached dizzying new levels, and we'd find what was considered fucked up in 2005 to be positively quaint! But no! Somehow, in defiance of all reason, this game is still really really fucked up!

If you are sensitive to or triggered by anything on the following list, please proceed with caution.
• Murder
• Torture
• Dismemberment
• Blood
• Gore
• Rape
• Terrorism
• Child abuse
• Abuse of the elderly
• Organized crime
• Human Trafficking
• Organ Trafficking
• Suicide
• Murder-suicide
• Cults & indoctrination
• War
• Nuclear war
• Jump scares
• Cuss words
• Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

WILL THIS LP EXPLAIN THIS GAME?

Kinda sorta maybe I guess but also not really IDFK WTFever.

A lot of the weird shit in Killer7 isn't really meant to be explained. And defies any sort of simple logical breakdown. I can give my INTERPRETATION on some of the stuff in here, but if you point to any random aspect and go "WHY THIS?" I'm probably just gonna reply "WHY ANYTHING? SHIT JUST IS."

Which isn't to say I don't have theories! I've got loads of them! But I'm not going to seal myself in a wine casket to engrave upon a grain of rice a comprehensive theory on the exact mechanics of, say, Samantha personality changing based on the lighting in any given room, or where exactly the blood channel guy fits in with the Smith's group dynamic. I have seen the THEORY.txts of the past, and am haunted by grim visions of future "THE HIDDEN MEANING OF" videos. I refuse to sink to such depths of depravity.

IS KILLER7 A GOOD GAME?

Killer7 is a fucking miracle.

Last edited by BEAT; 11-20-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Manic Brawler

Fuck yes this game is an Awesome and must be celebrated. I even hear the PC port is good!

Tags
keyboard vomit from beat , killer7 , video lp