The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Box office failures usually come a sequel late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
And yet Hollywood always blames the current movie.
Yeah, I see that happen all the time in long-running series, not just with movies but also with games (hello, Suikoden), and it's just maddening how execs never seem to grasp the pattern.

Last edited by Kirin; 12-06-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: quotes for new page context
Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Better not be throwing shade at my boy Geddoe in the Star Trek thread, I tell you what. If you're throwing shade at Snowe, then that's A-OK, but I can't tell; I have no idea how well later Suikoden games sold.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I believe IV is the target, yeah.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Not a Beer

I would never throw shade at Suiko III, you clearly don't remember my Suiko posting history. (Granted much of it was almost a decade ago.)

Anyway, yeah, I was referring to Suiko 5's poor sales reflecting more on Suiko 4 being not so great, but the series dying due to them anyway. Not that 5 doesn't have its own issues, but almost everyone agrees it was better than 4, contrary to the sales numbers.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Good Jo.R.B.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah, I see that happen all the time in long-running series, not just with movies but also with games (hello, Suikoden), and it's just maddening how execs never seem to grasp the pattern.
sounds familiar
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hello again!

VOY - "Displaced:" This was a really solid episode! An intriguing mystery from the start that quickly turns out to be far less innocuous than expected, the crew uses quick thinking and smarts to resolve the situation, and Janeway wins over the bad guys by being ruthless but not merciless.

DS9 - "Trials and Tribble-ations": I had seen this episode of DS9 before, but it had a lot more punch now that I have marathoned both the original series and DS9.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
My point was never that Tarantino would be incapable of directing a PG-13 script.
Well, good, because it's going to be R-rated.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Counterpoint: Discovery has been rated TV-MA.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:01 PM
An Animal of Joy

And I just watched an Enterprise episode where Trip said "ass". OoooOOOooooh.

Screw Tarantino, though.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:29 PM
120 Days

new report says they're looking for writers

SO
R rated
QT as story by possible director
Writer of revenant in lead to write maybe.

ME:
This is a good idea.
QT as director has a much more classic style of film making despite everything. The 3 kelvin movies are good, but very in that BIG BLOCKBUSTER cookie cutter vein. All the movies you really like are very character driven, smaller
Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 PM
I. Love. It.

Voyager!

The Haunting of Deck Twelve: Neelix tells a ghost story to the Borg Kids which may or may not be true (it's true). Fun episode. Neelix works well as a babysitter, turns out, though Naomi's absence here was weird.

Unimatrix Zero 1&2: Better season ending two-parter than the last one, at least, though this continues Voyager's de-fanging of the Borg. Being assimilated used to be a big deal that was almost impossible to get out of (see Picard's instance of such in First Contact), but now it seems all a Drone has to do is sneeze funny and they wind up creating a weird sort of virtual social media for other Drones to participate in when regenerating. Janeway decides she really wants to help Borg Second Life and gets herself and a few others assimilated (on purpose, nbd (seriously it's kind of strange how easily they wave off being assimilated considering it involves an invasive procedure with bits of your body being hacked off (it's kind of disturbing))) and they wind up having to destroy Borg Twitter but not before freeing all its occupants from the hive mind and starting a bit of a Borg Civil War. Janeway and the others are de-assimilated later (again, nbd). Favorite part of the episodes was Jeri Ryan getting another chance to stretch her emoting muscles again.

Imperfection: All the Borg Kids, sans Icheb, leave Voyager because I guess the writers couldn't think of anything more for them to do, it's taken care of in the cold open too, it's just kind of strange how quickly it happens. Oh well! As for the actual episode, one of Seven's implants starts degrading rapidly and with no way to fix it she comes face to face with the prospect of dying. Some good scenes here of her facing her own mortality, and her place in the crew. The resolution is a bit simple, and easy, but appropriate.

Drive: Tom enters the Delta Flyer in the Space Indy 500, and there's also some stuff about a peace treaty and a terrorist plot or whatever, but mainly this episode is about his and B'Elanna's relationship and whether or not they break it off or go all the way. They get Married. Also yet another failed relationship for Harry, I should've been keeping count of those.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Your life is forfeit

Missive from the Delta Quadrant:

"Worst Case Scenario": Maybe my favorite episode of Voyager so far? I love the structure: The first half is about discovery (Kes has short hair? Chokatay is evil and also still getting used to being first officer!? Seska's still alive!?!?) and mystery (who wrote this "holo novel"?). The mystery ends abruptly at the midpoint, and for a few minutes the episode looks almost like it's going to turn into an odd-couple comedy as the crew expands on the incomplete novel. But then, bam, the big twist: The whole thing is actually a poison pen left behind by a forgotten villain from earlier in the series as Seska returns from the grave to torment the crew even in death. Everything about this episode was great! It makes brilliant use of the characters and of the series' history, and does a pretty good job of fleshing out the Maquis/Federation tension of the early days that the first season did such a poor job of depicting.

"Scorpion" Pt. 1: I've heard the Borg/Species 8472 conflict goes to dumb places in future seasons, but this at least is a pretty intriguing way to wrap a season. Something horrible has come along that is capable of cold-clocking the Borg and Death Starring a planet, with Voyager caught in the middle. This leads Janeway to make a choice that is potentially very, very bad.

Meanwhile, I also watched the DS9 episode where Worf and Dax go to Risa and it sure did make Worf look like a big asshole who should end up in prison forever. On the other hand, Miss America!?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:01 PM
McBear

Nobody makes it out of "Let He Who Is Without Sin" with their dignity intact.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:46 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
Nobody makes it out of "Let He Who Is Without Sin" with their dignity intact.
I like the bits about Worf’s childhood though.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Your life is forfeit

"Scorpion Pt. II": OK, that was a solid conclusion to the cliffhanger. Color me a little surprised.

I hate when opening credits spoil major plot-shifting casting changes, though. Couldn't they have bumped Jennifer Lien's name out of the opening credits after whatever apparently is going to happen to Kes has happened?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:16 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
"Scorpion Pt. II": OK, that was a solid conclusion to the cliffhanger. Color me a little surprised.

I hate when opening credits spoil major plot-shifting casting changes, though. Couldn't they have bumped Jennifer Lien's name out of the opening credits after whatever apparently is going to happen to Kes has happened?
I was always super annoyed that they decided to boot Kes.
Having Kes AND Seven would have been rad.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Harry Kim was supposed to die, but then Garrett Wang made it on to the 50 Most Beautiful People List in People magazine.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame they never even got to interact, like, at all. Aside from Seven saying one line to her at the start of Fury.

Quote:
Harry Kim was supposed to die, but then Garrett Wang made it on to the 50 Most Beautiful People List in People magazine.
Wait what, what? This can't be real.

*checks*

This is actually real oh my god.

Anyway, s'more episodes.

Repression: I get the feeling that there was some writer on staff who was really disappointed that they never really got to do a 'Marquis take over the ship' plot, with 'Worst Case Scenario' being the closest they ever did. That writer then got to write a silly episode about mind control and here we are. Also, I think Tim Russ got jealous of all the emoting Jeri Ryan got to do in Unimatrix Zero and overcompensated a bit here.

Critical Care: The Doctor is stolen and sold to a Space Hospital where the administrators care more for efficiency and bureaucracy than healing. Seriously, it's downright comical. "Well we COULD use this evidently easily mass-produced medicine to cure these poor non-contributing members of society of a fatal illness, or we could waste it all on a slim chance it might extend the lives of the rich highly contributing members of society!" The doctor gets fed up and breaks his ethical programming over his knee to do something about it and feels kinda bad about it afterwards, but really shouldn't. That guy was a dick.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM
mellow dramatic

Feels like Voyager has turned into the Seven and Doctor Show, with special guest star Naomi Wildman (she makes up for the other ones not having real names by having two names all the time). It's not improving my outlook on either character, let alone the show as a whole.

Quote:
Harry Kim was supposed to die
Again?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
That's a funny comic, but its core thesis is incredibly flawed. Because I submit that instead of feeling beleaguered, Picard gets sexual gratification from continually confronting those kinds of space dilemmas. Why else would he still be at it after all these decades, when he gets multiple offers for cushy-ass jobs like being the commandant of Starfleet Academy?

Like, I'm imagining and improved version of that comic strip where he's biting his lower lip and whispering "yes Geordi, tell me more...!" after that description of the ship's problems.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 PM
mellow dramatic

Maybe, but the joke relies on warp engines and Deep Space Nine doesn't have them.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
but for real this time
Old 12-15-2017, 03:30 AM
I. Love. It.

About half-way through Voyager's last season now!

Inside Man: Broccoli sends Voyager a hologram to guide them to a shortcut home that the Federation found, but plot twist! There's something sinister afoot! Turns out some Ferengi intercepted Starfleet's most recent transmissions to Voyager, and commandeered the Barclay hologram to instead guide Voyager to their doom! The shortcut home will certainly get the ship home, but it will kill everyone on board, and the Ferengi get to get away with an entire Federation starship, AND Seven's nanoprobes. Barclay manages to Barclay it up for awhile, as no one believes his crazy theories, then he does his usual thing of invading Deanna's privacy to get her help (which, thankfully, she finally calls him out on, too little too late though) and he manages to save the day, though Voyager is left with no clue as to why the plan failed or why the Barclay hologram 'malfunctioned', which is kinda unsatisfying. Overall kind of a frustrating episode, especially the bits where we heard over and over again how 'impossible' it was to send a hologram across their datastream when that's exactly what they did in the very episode it was introduced, with The Doctor. Did... did the writers just forget?

Body and Soul: Hahahahahaha, this episode, oh wow, OK. Harry, Seven, and The Doctor are on an away mission and come across a bunch of aliens who just REALLY hate holograms. Like, a lot. They fire some kind of 'hologram deleter' beam at them (seriously) and it looks like The Doctor is gone forever. But it turns out he hid his program in Seven's cybernetic implants, which inexplicably gives him control of her body.

And I'll be honest, so much of this episode's logic crumples as soon as you think about it even a little bit, but it doesn't matter because Jeri Ryan's performances as The Doctor in Seven's body are absolutely worth the price of admission on this one. From what I read Robert Picardo recorded himself doing several key scenes in the script for Jeri Ryan to study, which worked out great since she gets his mannerisms down perfectly. While some lines and scenes from this episode definitely feel a little cringeworthy, overall it's a hoot.

Though, it's more than a little disappointing that the alien commander who was holding them prisoner had more respect for Seven, apologizing profusely after believing he misread her signals on the bridge, than her good friend The Doctor, who abused her body with junk food and alcohol at the first opportunity.

Nightingale: The universe just loves kicking Harry Kim whenever he thinks he's gotten something, doesn't it? A way home? Nope! A girlfriend? Nope! Command? Hahahaha, nope! The universe hates Harry Kim and makes it known at every opportunity.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 AM

Harry Kim had the suffering-torch passed onto him from Picard in TNG and O'Brien in DS9. Those Picard/O'Brien Must Suffer episodes end up being some of the best episodes in all of Star Trek. Maybe all of TV even! But when Harry Kim suffers, it's just kinda funny instead.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 AM
Your life is forfeit

The first few episodes of Voyager season 4 have been really solid. They've explored consequences of the new status quo in a way the first season fumbled, which is nice. And the first standalone episode, "Nemesis," was quite good, from the humanoid faction oblique dialect to the plot twist that unfolds beginning with the Nausicaan-looking ambassador arriving on Voyager right before the final commercial break.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 AM
McBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
About half-way through Voyager's last season now!

[B]Nightingale:

Did you notice the guest star was Ron Glass?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Your life is forfeit

I made it halfway through VOY "The Raven" today and… with Seven of Nine peacing out, I think we're at four lost shuttles this season alone. Six episodes in.

That aside, the season has been really strong so far.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:29 PM
120 Days

S4 is mvp i think.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I was playing some Knights of the Old Republic recently when some random NPC's voice caught my attention. And as I listened to the voice I realized it was Neelix! So Ethan Phillips is among the actors who has notches on his belt for working for both the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
S4 is mvp i think.
It is and it's not even close

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher