The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Well, as you can see, I had the Forbidden Lands as my #1. Shadow of the Colossus was the first video game world I explored not for rare items, or superbosses, or sidequests, or simple completionism, but just on its own merits.

Like most others, I was sold on Shadow of the Colossus on its awe-inspiring bosses; I never would have expected to be so entranced by the world they inhabited. The Forbidden Lands are just so mysterious; they feel lived-in, as if they existed for something other than the player's benefit… and yet there's little clue as to its history. There's no humans, little wildlife… all that remains is crumbling ruins. It's that mystery that implores you to explore the world, hoping to find some clue about its history and prior civilization.

There's no answer forthcoming, but that only makes it all the more enthralling. It encourages you to speculate and theorize and make your own interpretation of the land. I got pretty deep into this for a while, and I look back on it fondly.

No video game world has so captured my imagination, before or since. Revisiting the lands this month (courtesy of the PS4 remaster) only confirmed that.

There were lots and lots of areas I could have selected as my notable location: the northeastern Desert Fortress and nearby temple, the windswept southeastern cliffs, the western cape and the "ICO beach", Kuromori's colosseum, or Barba's temple… but I had to go with the lair of Cenobia, the fourteenth colossus. Cenobia's lair is one of the most intriguing parts of the lands: not only does it appear to be in better condition than the other ruins, but it looks to have a different function. Cenobia guards what looks like a city, complete with a canal system; everything else in the lands looks like a fortress, or a temple, and for some sort of administrative or ceremonial purpose, but this could very well have housed people. It reveals a character to the lands that you would have assumed, but never seen anything to actually suggest it until this point. Beyond that, though, it's just a really serene place.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Had ICO & SotC world as entry 21, with The Forbidden Land as favorite location/subsetting.

But really both Ico's castle & TFL share that fascinating appeal that makes them so misterious, beautiful & alluring. Make sure to visit them by playing the games some day if you haven't.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 413 – Iacon, Cybertron
The glory of Iacon is still apparent today after millennia of war. The gleaming Great Dome still stands though its golden surface is cracked and broken. Within, the Sacred Spires rise, though the Celestial Temple now is a tumbled ruin, the locus of Decepticon wrath. Everywhere I see the ghosts of past glory. Long, wide promenades connecting, now rubble filled, plazas. The remains of fountains, amphitheaters, highways, and flyways. The skeletons of collapsed towers and air bridges reach up into the neon sky. And everywhere craters, blaster burns, and the detritus of war.

If I didn’t know better I would say this city, this entire planet, is dead. But overhead Seekers can be seen patrolling the skies, the scream of their engine a near constant. Thankfully, I am too small, too insignificant for them to notice. And below me, the dull metal surface of the planet hums with energy and subterranean activity. It is underground where I hope to find the only thing resembling civilian life on Cybertron. One of the few remaining Autobot refuges on the planet. I’ll never find it on my own though after 1000s of years the peaceful Autobots have learned to mask their redoubts near perfectly.

My only hope is that I am significant enough for an Autobot patrol to notice. Else, I will be exploring these dead streets.

#30 (tie) Cybertron (Transformers)
84 points, 3 votes, highest voter: Octopus Prime (3)

Cybertron is the home planet of the Transformers and (usually) the body of their creator, Primus. Cybertron is (almost always) a shining metal, technological world; a planet of towering future cities without end and vast metallic plains, spiraling metal mountains and bottomless neon-lit chasms. Battling over control of Cybertron and its resources is frequently the motivation for, or origin of, the Transformers' epic wars. Beyond these facts much about Cybertron can differ between continuities

Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Mystery Contraption

My favorite part about Cybertrons geography is that one of its moons is also the devil and nobody seems concerned about that in the slightest.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
My favorite part about Cybertrons geography is that one of its moons is also the devil and nobody seems concerned about that in the slightest.
That's only the newest moon. and its only got a head...
Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Not in Armada!

Though they eventually started caring once he started shooting people.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
カセットについてのお願い

Floro Dery is a weird guy and apparently kind of insane, but his concept art that was used in much of the G1 animated series and movie is really good stuff.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Find Your Reason

I don't read the TF comics (any of them) so I've always wondered --has Cybertron ever been shown on TV as actually populated? From what few episodes I remember taking place there, it's basically a ghost townplanet with Shockwave as a lone guardian and maybe a few Autobot resistance cell members, but bereft of an actual, day-to-day population that Megs would consider worth his time to rule over.

Even Beast Machines basically did away with the planet's entire population off-screen.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM
カセットについてのお願い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I don't read the TF comics (any of them) so I've always wondered --has Cybertron ever been shown on TV as actually populated? From what few episodes I remember taking place there, it's basically a ghost townplanet with Shockwave as a lone guardian and maybe a few Autobot resistance cell members, but bereft of an actual, day-to-day population that Megs would consider worth his time to rule over.

Even Beast Machines basically did away with the planet's entire population off-screen.
It varies.

With G1 continuities, the first and second season showed it to be a mostly-deserted husk of a planet. In the second season there's a flashback episode ("War Dawn") where you see the planet before the war and there's a lot of robots running around doing normal civilian things. Also because 80s Cartoon, the flashback describes it as a "golden age," so of course everything is literally golden.

There are other flashback episodes too that show the planet during Quintesson occupation and other stuff and it's in various states of normalcy.

Following the movie, when the Decepticons were exiled to Charr, the planet appeared to be more populated.

Headmasters also depicted it as a more or less functioning world, but then it done got blowed up.

I haven't watched Beast Wars II or Neo to comment there. Robots in Diguise (2001) took place entirely on Earth - I don't think we even caught a glimpse of Cybertron in that show.

The Unicron Trilogy showed it as a functioning society, but my memories are pretty fuzzy of the specifics.

Animated took place following the war, and Cybertron seemed like a nice and safe place to live.

I didn't really watch Prime and Robots in Disguise (2015) was set primarily on Earth.

The Bay movies show it as fully abandoned and uninhabitable.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

In Prime, Cybertron was borderline uninhabitable due to the toll the civil war took on the environment until the actual finale when Optimus manages to restore its capacity to support the existence of giant magical robots (it was a royally jacked-up ecosystem).

For a sizeable chunk of the IDW comics, the planet was uninhabited for much the same reason (specifically, it was Thunderwing, whose massive destructive power proved to beyond any planets capacity to withstand), but it, too was eventually restored, once it spent enough time without being periodically exploded.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM
HOLY GIBLETS!

All I know about Cybertron is from the G1 cartoon 35 years ago and yeah, it was deserted with population: 1.

I also saw the first Bay movie but I've tried to block that one from my memory.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM
King Of Space-Time

I always wondered, during the G1 period, if there was some civilian population on Cybertron that just tried to stay out the middle of the Autobot/Decepticon war.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I always wondered, during the G1 period, if there was some civilian population on Cybertron that just tried to stay out the middle of the Autobot/Decepticon war.
Yep. Quite a few, actually.

Many just up and got the hell off the planet to avoid it.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM
カセットについてのお願い

IDW dealt with this plotline in a couple of different ways. After the war ended, Cybertron had an influx of "NAILs" (Non-Aligned Indigenous Lifeforms) that had deserted the planet during the war and never joined a side, and there was conflict surrounding Autobots, Decepticons, and NAILs trying to coexist on a planet that was barely capable of sustaining life.

Later, they got into the idea of the colonies, pockets of unaffiliated Cybertronians that traveled to distant planets during the (first) war aboard Titans, living ships that also served as birthing points for new Transformers. Following the war, Cybertron started contacting the various colonies and discovering what they'd been up to all this time.

This also served as a vehicle for writers to filter in a more diverse cast, introducing a large number of new, female-presenting characters as well as G1-continuity versions of characters that originally came from non-G1 sources like Beast Wars or Armada or whatever else.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Floro Dery is a weird guy and apparently kind of insane, but his concept art that was used in much of the G1 animated series and movie is really good stuff.

More of all of this please.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day 425 – Roof deck, Tree Fort, Land of Ooo
There are very few peaceful places in Ooo. They’re mostly the places people don’t know about or have forgotten. The Roof of Finn’s Tree Fort is just such a place, and thank the Party God for that. I can hear Finn and Jake down below in the tree shouting and banging, I suppose they’ve either returned from fighting some sort of rubbery skeletons or are preparing to head off to just such a fight. Just off in the distance smoke rises from Castle Candy Kingdom, a common sight. And, off in the other direction the air above the Ice Kingdom shimmers and glows, the Ice King is up to his normal shenanigans.

“Would you like to play video games?”

“Yes, yes I would BMO.”

“I recommend ‘Stone Football Adventure.’”

“Sounds fun.”

#29 (tie) The Land of Ooo (Adventure Time)
84 points, 4 votes, highest voter: Johnny Unusual (6)

The Land of Ooo is the main setting of Adventure Time, and is the home continent of Finn and Jake, along with all of their friends and foes. It is divided into many different kingdoms, of which the most prominent are the Ice Kingdom, Candy Kingdom, Castle Lemongrab, Wildberry Kingdom, Lumpy Space, Fire Kingdom, and Cloud Kingdom. There are also many geographical areas not known to be part of any kingdom, such as the Evil Forest and the Bad Lands.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
カセットについてのお願い

Ah! I forgot to include Ooo on my list, and that was a sad oversight. What a great world. I love how the show demonstrates its worldbuilding - all these bizarre characters and locations introduced at a rapid pace, and many of the settings or characters will be returned to in some way or another to further the development of some character, even seemingly unimportant ones.

I love how Adventure Time can have a throwaway adventure episode that simultaneously shows us something important about one of our main characters, introduce a new one or two, shed some light on some previously seen thing, and tie up a loose plot thread or three, all while staying tightly scripted and in a 10-minute runtime. It's masterful stuff.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
2018 is the new 2017

don't eat those fries, dracula
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Ah! I forgot to include Ooo on my list, and that was a sad oversight. What a great world. I love how the show demonstrates its worldbuilding - all these bizarre characters and locations introduced at a rapid pace, and many of the settings or characters will be returned to in some way or another to further the development of some character, even seemingly unimportant ones.

I love how Adventure Time can have a throwaway adventure episode that simultaneously shows us something important about one of our main characters, introduce a new one or two, shed some light on some previously seen thing, and tie up a loose plot thread or three, all while staying tightly scripted and in a 10-minute runtime. It's masterful stuff.
From the sounds of it, a lot of stuff wasn't meant to be explored or re-explored, but the writers just had to get back there. All of the post-post-apocalyptic stuff was originally going to never get touched upon. I'm glad they did. I don't care how often it is attacked, as someone with a sweet tooth, I would want to hang out in the Candy Kingdom all the time.

I will not go to Castle Lemongrab, despite this enticing tourism ad.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

! Ooo is another setting that I voted for but didn't actually expect to see rank. I should have known that I could count on Johnny to pick up the slack!

Anyway, as I said in my list PM, Ooo is like a child's imagination given form, and given that we already voted for imagination on this list, it stands to reason that Ooo deserves a spot here too!

(That propaganda video that Johnny linked is my favourite couple of minutes of AT. Every moment of it is just pitch perfect. I will never tire of watching it.)
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
カセットについてのお願い

WE'VE HAVE IT ALL
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
of the Black Falcons

I included Ooo (but weirdly forgot some other super good cartoon worlds...). It's super creative and great. I should go back and finish the last few seasons.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

THINGS HAVE NEVER BEEN BETTER SINCE WE GOT RID OF HOPE!
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
King Of Space-Time

Ah the Land of Ooo.

A Candy Coated NIGHTMARE.
Old Today, 01:46 AM

Ooo, forgot about that one!

Jokes aside, I haven't watched much of AT, so I don't know much about the setting and it didn't occur to me.

I know it's supposed to be great but there's so much of it by now that I can't muster the energy to get to watching it all.

Maybe some day.

Tags
democracy was a mistake , falselogfic , falselogicwrotethis.txt , top 50 countdown