The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM
We just don't know.

help

I want to build more gunpla, but I don't give a shit about any other gundams enough to pick up the kits

Like I actively don't want more gunpla for their own sake, especially not stuff like, I dunno, the guncannon or guntank that I think look Pretty Lame, or endless variations on the main gundam from series I haven't and likely won't watch (zakus are cool tho)

I... I just liked putting them together

what a dilemma

I also got a marker to line the ones I've got so who knows how deep this rabbit hole will go
Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 PM
カセットについてのお願い

I'll ignore your slight against the immortal Guntanks and Guncannons, those gods of mech design, and instead try to help with your plight.

It seems you may have one of two problems. You:

A. Want to build more gunpla, but you're not familiar with your range of options.
B. Want to build more gunpla, but you need to care about the mecha you're building and you don't care about anything past the OG Gundam and Zaku II.

There are a few routes you could go with this.

For problem A, I would recommend browsing dalong.net. It is a Korean site with photography and reviews of just about every Gunpla ever produced, along with photography of each kit assembled directly out of the box. Sometimes they are panel lined, but that is as far as the photographer goes with modification, so you'll know exactly what you're getting with each kit.

For problem B, your problem could be solved in a couple different ways. You could:

1. Watch more Gundam anime and gain an appreciation for mecha and thus want to build a kit(s). Maybe you've already watched every Gundam. I have no idea.

2. Seek out more versions of the RX-78 and Zaku II. There are endless varieties. You've build some HG kits, so you could explore the MG versions (specifically the RX-78 3.0 MG or the Zaku II 2.0), or perhaps the RG versions.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Objection!

Gundam is also not the only franchise that gets model kits. If it's not a matter of needing attachment, you could look at the other stuff that companies like Kotobukiya makes, like Formula Skell, or stuff from Super Robot Wars. Bandai also makes some non-Gundam kits, like Scopedogs and Evas. Unfortunately they've been out of production for years so the good ones are hard to come by, but LBX kits are incredible.

Of course, the problem with a lot of these is that imports are probably going to be your only option. The place close to where my parents live that I've gotten some stuff from only has a handful of non-Gundam kits, and it's mostly Bandai's selection of One Piece ship models. The prices will PROBABLY end up about equal, but obviously you can't just show up and buy them.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 PM

Like Dracula says, there's a lot of gunpla out there you can explore to find something you like. So you aren't big on protag suits, but Zakus are cool - there's a buttload of Zaku-lookin' things and gnarly enemy mobile suits you could make that better suit your tastes.

Also if you more just like the act of building and don't really want the end products, you can consider giving them away as gifts, donating them, or selling them when you're done. Also, high grades are nice, but I really really like building Master Grades because they're a much more involved experience, so consider doing one of those. They're more expensive, but they'll proportionally much more enjoyable and time consuming to build versus their High Grade counterparts and not prohibitively expensive like Perfect Grades. (I'd recommend the The Origin version of the RX-78-2 over the 3.0)

And like Umbalgo said, there's tons of other model kits for other robot (and non-robot) franchises out there you can make model kits for. A friend just bought me a Son Goku model kit from Bandai, and boy oh boy is it fresh (most of the recent DBZ line is really good). Just in my closet alone, I'm sitting on model kits for Patlabor, Tiger & Bunny, Evangelion, Zone of the Enders, Macross, Valvrave, Dunbine, Yamato 2199, Active Raid, Majin Bone, and Captain Earth that I haven't assembled yet. And there's all kinds of other model kits, from Kamen Rider, to Eureka Seven, to Code Geass, to Doraemon, to One Piece ships, to Finding Nemo, to a buttload of really cool Star Wars model kits. (What I wouldn't do for the recent Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon) So take a look around and find something that does sound cool to you.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack