The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Not much of a donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I've definitely played it (and own it, with the box and manual, haha!), I just haven't beaten it. It's not an awful game, it's just a bog-standard 8-bit JRPG on a 16-bit system. As mentioned, the only real claim to fame I've seen is the party swapping mechanic, where you can change from your party of adults to your party of children, the chosen "Aqutallion" warriors or whatever. You could argue that this move makes it more generic, because you have to guide two parties through the world.
See, the party-swapping mechanic COULD have been this game's saving grace. Imagine having to navigate every dungeon with two parties simultaneously to complete it. There's a lot of potential there! Could have been really neat.

Instead, it does absolutely nothing with this concept. I forgot about the Kustera party almost completely until the very end.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 PM

As you say, it could have been used for some neat split-party mechanics, but instead, it just gives you a party that you have to occasionally use to get past NPCs or whatnot. If that's all you're going to do with it, you might as well allow swapping the party on the fly in-place, as opposed to keeping track where each one is and forcing you to retread ground.

This almost feels like one of those games that could be less tedious if someone would do a quick ROM hack on it and allow that swap.

(You might have to do some checks if the kid party isn't supposed to be in a particular area, though, and disable swapping at those points.)

I guess, though, that it's good you can pretty much ignore the Kustera party. If I ever play through it (and believe it or not, I have wanted to!), that knowledge may help me get over the hump.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Not much of a donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

I guess, though, that it's good you can pretty much ignore the Kustera party. If I ever play through it (and believe it or not, I have wanted to!), that knowledge may help me get over the hump.
You can't completely ignore them, there's a short series of mandatory dungeons that they're required for to complete the game. But you can ignore it until almost the very end of the game when you have good enough gear to make it mostly trivial.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Good Jo.R.B.!

Where does Quest 64 fit into all this discussion, anyway?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Answers come in dreams

The original Bandai trilogy of Legend of Heroes games on PSP. I mean - really? The name is about as generic as it gets!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Where does Quest 64 fit into all this discussion, anyway?
In the rubbish bin.

But seriously though, the execution may be greatly lacking but the concept of a solo RPG where magic's your primary weapon is a solid one.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:06 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I already said Pokemon! Twice! (Clarification: In response to Rya's statement, not as a response to this thread's overall question.)

I guess this is one way to learn that everyone has me on ignore.
My bad— I didn't notice that part of your post!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Good Jo.R.B.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
In the rubbish bin.

But seriously though, the execution may be greatly lacking but the concept of a solo RPG where magic's your primary weapon is a solid one.
so it's not even good at being insufferably bland is what you're saying
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 PM
New Years Returns

I'm tired but I'll try to at least do a list of why Skies of Arcadia rises above generic:
1) Airship battles (as mentioned)
2) Bounties! (in Legends)
3) Discoveries that reward exploration with nifty sights and locations to hunt down!
4) A focus meter that allows special moves that can be charged
5) Swapping elements midbattle for weapons
6) Characters are all plucky as shit and don't get down about much of anything
7) Vyse doesn't end up with the women leads in the end (thank fucking god)
8) Create-a-base
9) Build a sailor crew
10) Sailing overworld is like all the time

I won't argue that there are generic elements to Skies. The plot is pretty bog standard, there's macguffins to find, saving the world from evil, etc. But like Sarge noted it takes a lot of those boilerplate JRPG elements and raises them up to be so much more, and added in a lot of its own unique twists to the formula.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Oh yeah, I sure as heck wouldn't call Skies of Arcadia generic. You're a pirate crew with a flying ship in a world made of floating rocks in a vast expanse of sky, for crying out loud.

Also I like that the obligatory (optional) "Peeping Tom" scene doesn't result in seeing Aika naked.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Love is OGR

Skies has lots of incidental descriptory text when examining objects in the environment in the character(s)'s voices. Not unheard of, but uncommonly thought-out and consistent in execution.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM

The situation of Dragon Quest to the JRPG genre is curious to me - there are a lot of games inspired by it, but i feel like they're inspired by the battle system or whatever, and not the best thing about the series - its world, the moment to moment gameplay/exploration, the quest. If the question is 'what's the JRPG that actually makes me feel like i'm playing a Dragon Quest?', that's Earthbound/Mother.

I'm crazy though. Bananas. But answering the question of the topic: Guadia Quest.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 PM
New Years Returns

If Grandia II didn't have such a dynamic battle system I would argue it was the most generic
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Grandia II has more of the most essential ingredient than any other RPG, which is Cam Clarke Being A Snide Bastard, so it can’t be the most generic.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:25 PM
New Years Returns

That is true; it's been so long since I played it I forgot about Ryudo's snark.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Idea Factory games. They arguably are awful in unique and terrible ways, but look over a shelf of games in a store with lots of their titles and tell me they don't blend together. The only ones that stick out are the Neptunia games, because of sheer numbers.

I had a longer post but it got ate up. So I'm going to copy and paste some text from Moero Chronicle's Steam page.

Quote:
Io is a man who has no luck with the ladies, and now he's tasked with recruiting Monster Girls to save the world in this moe-filled dungeon RPG! Recruit 50 Monster Girls! Combine their Moe Traits! Build relationships with them and find out just how cute a monster can be!

About This Game
Io is a simple young man with only one problem – he can’t talk to women! Any attempts at conversation are destroyed by his perverted mind, except when he talks to Lilia, his best friend and a Monster Girl.

However, that becomes the least of his problems when he’s tasked with going to the dangerous region of Monstopia. There, Monster Girls have begun rampaging, causing wanton pain and destruction. Have the Monster Girls simply gone mad, or is there an even greater evil afoot…? Find out in this moe-filled dungeon RPG!

Key Features
Moe Monsters Moe Problems! Recruit 50 Monster Girls, each with unique skills and traits, to fight for you! You’ll have to wear them out in battle first though!
Can I Kick It? Build your relationship with each Monster Girl through special events, gift-giving, and even home improvement to increase their powers and abilities!
Trait Flexin’ Strategize your 5-person party by keeping their Moe Traits in mind – when combined together, you can recover after battle, increase your party’s attack, and more!
Nothin’ Wrong with a Little Bumping Scratch! Purify your Monster Girls and return them to their senses with “Bumping Scratch”! Find their points of weakness on their body and touch, rub, poke, or pick until they’re purified!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:44 AM
poisonous thread snake

Hey, what Dragonball game is that Gunpanda from?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Battle of the Saiyans, I believe.

I know nothing about it save that it has a Gun Panda and, therefor, I must have it.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:29 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Battle of the Saiyans, I believe.

I know nothing about it save that it has a Gun Panda and, therefor, I must have it.

Attack of the Saiyans
for DS, actually.

It was LPed on Team Four Star's gaming channel on YouTube, which is probably where that gif comes from.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Grandia II has more of the most essential ingredient than any other RPG, which is Cam Clarke Being A Snide Bastard, so it can’t be the most generic.
I've been playing Knights of the Old Republic recently and was pleasantly surprised to hear Cam Clarke as random bad guy disdainfully talking down to to the party. And since Cam Clarke is always Liquid Snake to my ears this made for a fun franchise crossover in my headcanon.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Mystery Contraption

Cam can only ever be Liquid Snake or Leonardo with any role he’s given.

This is not a complaint.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Cam Clarke: Teenage Mutant Genome Soldier
Old 12-30-2017, 08:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I did wind up gambling $13 on a Kemco RPG on the 3DS. I chose one based on the criteria of it being one of the highest rated of those on the eShop (four stars) and looking the least-butt visually. I already forget it’s name because it’s a Kemco JRPG and their titles are not particularly memorable.

In any case, stay tuned for my opinions, once Santa Law is lifted and I can thus offer them.
Turns out it’s Justice Chronicles (a title that acts as some kind of mental teflon; irregular enough from a typical JRPG title to stand out, but is in distinct enough that you will not recall it even a moment later) and I’ve played it for a couple of hours and... it’s pretty good?

I mean, it’s nothing mind blowing, or any sort of secret best hidden gem of the eShop, but it’s doing what I asked of it very well. Translation is generally pretty fine (occasional weird language choice notwithstanding), sprites have a nice PS1 quality to them, like Arc the Lad or Wild Arms, combat is blessedly zippy and has a fast forward button in case that isn’t fast enough.

If I had a complaint it’s that the first three dungeons and both of the first two towns you visit are All Caves. It is the Caviest game.

Also, love how stupidly blunt the Anime Teen is; he happily admits that his lifelong dream is to get strong enough to kill God when asked about his plans for the future. And the female lead describes herself as “neat and dainty” and I’m still puzzling out what that means.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM
oh my car

Bless you, Octo.

What is the most genetic JRPG? Why, it's EVO: The Theory of Evolution.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Update; three more dungeons and two more new towns.

One of the dungeons was a desert, with a sandstorm so intense that the party got lost and had to be taken to an oasis refuge.

They are all still caves
Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM
I have a Plan

So is this a cave story, then?
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

The game does take place in a subterranean kingdom that's at war with the surface world, so it's not like it comes out of nowhere, but I really think that Kemco was just really proud of how well they were able to handle transparencies and light sources and were just itching to throw as many caves and torches in the game as possible.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Update;
Going by the world map screen, I have been to fifteen distinct areas within the game. Every single one of them is still a cave. Were it not for cut-scenes depicting NPCs, I would have no reason to think the developers actually made any non-cave tile sets. The caves are somewhat distinct from one another; one has purple walls instead of brown, or contains a lake. Sometimes they are much darker than usual and must be lit by torch. One has a rolling hill of grass, somehow.

I would like to restate that I am, in fact, enjoying my time with the game, but it is not a title that possesses a wealth of variety in environments. Let's look at the main cast, shall we?

This appears to be the main group that I've recruited so far. There's space for two more on the status screen, so presumably there are more party members yet-a-coming.

Spiky-Hair in the middle there is our Idiot, Kline. He cheerfully explains to anyone who is inclined to ask that he wants to kill God, and seeks to get strong enough that he can shank a deity right to death. In a flashback, this is revealed to be because he watched God (who, in this game, is some kind of griffin?) murder his mother with lightning bolts. Being an Anime Hero, he hates injustice and flings himself willfully into danger at the slightest provocation. His soul is bound to Roseliev (the big transparent dragoman in the background), the God of Death who offered Kline the strength needed to protect people in exchange for a portion of his life. Because Kline is a giant idiot, he hastily agrees to giving Roseliev 200 years worth of his life. Roseliev feels kind of bad to exploiting a dummy and agrees to just keep him alive until he feels inclined to kill him. He also offers to shorten Klines life further in exchange for minor favors throughout the game, which Kline is eager to accept, because he's a nitwit. Roseliev is almost my favorite character.

Green Hair on the right is Aira, the Magical Girl. Up until now I was genuinely unsure if she was wearing a bikini top in place of a shirt, or her dress was just flesh-colored. She's a holy battle maiden from a subterranean tribe of terrible racists, and she, too, is terribly racist to everyone except the party members. Her terrible racism is treated as an annoying habit more than any kind of moral failing. Later, it's revealed that her home town was so racist that the villagers all spontaneously turned into the bad guys from The Last of Us. She eventually has a crisis of conscious when she realizes that despite being a holy Battle Maiden, she totally sucks at fighting monsters and needs to be rescued constantly, so she forges a pact with the water spirit Lutz (transparent lady in the background). Lutz has nothing going on except that she dislikes Roseliev and has useful healing magic.

Blue Hair on the right is Fred. He's this guy;

He was part of a secret attack against Airas people, but his commander betrayed him, and sliced him up pretty bad and left him for underground monsters to kill. And then one of the monsters ate him alive. And before he could be digested he was saved by the villagers he was sent to kill killing the monster, and so they imprisoned him. And then they tortured him so severely he lost the ability to speak. Also they were going to test a new magical weapon against him to make sure it works. Luckily, they all chose that moment to turn into mushroom men and Fred was saved by Kline. Later, it turns out he spent so much time breathing the underground air that's been contaminated by Raw Evil that he starts dying. His spirit partner is Epsilon, a blindfolded horse who translates Freds guttural croaks into plain english, and who also provides way too much exposition that's equally confusing and uninteresting and I'm glad Fred spends so much time comatose because yeesh, this guy.

Paola (I may have that name wrong) is the witch on the far left. She's the best character because all she does is offer inexplicable deus ex machinas. She also very explicitly wants Klines babies. Not for any clear reason, either, she just keeps pointing out that all she wants in life is for Kline to knock her up. Nobody is ever sure if she's joking. When she joins the party, she dispels the curse that Roseliev has Kline under that's shortening his lifespan. Like... immediately. No preamble, she just walks in, undoes a curse from the God of Death and says "You're welcome". Later, she casts another spell that causes everyone in a town that hates Aira the most to suddenly cease being racist to her. She magically cured racism. Her greatest idol is the witch her trained her because she was pure evil and used her power to murder and dominate, as opposed to living in secrecy. She doesn't have her own spirit beast, but she finds a dying NPC and takes his. She is a stone-cold boss.

And the cat on the far right is Josh. I think he's supposed to be the comic relief or something. I don't know. He doesn't do anything interesting except be named Josh.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:43 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post

On the DS, the two most generic might be Nostalgia and Sands of Destruction. I remember which one is which is by "the one that has an airship".
I actually came to this thread with Nostalgia in mind, it's the kind of game where the parroting of RPG tropes is so unimaginative I did wonder if it was secretly mocking the entire genre.

- You play as a young boy from a small town who is sick of the quiet life and yearns for ADVENTURE!!

- Boy's father is already a famous adventurer and the mystery of his disappearance will factor into your journey into ADVENTURE!!

- Your very first mission, literally the first thing you have to do after joining the Adventurer's Guild is to go and fight rats in a sewer. ADVENTURE!!!

- The weapons shop in the starting city("London is the largest city in Europe!" an NPC informs you) hilariously sells precisely one item. Good luck on your ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!

It actually really did bug me that that all the places you can visit are named after specific cities around the world but have nothing to relate them to their real world counterparts, they're still just stock RPG locales - The Big City, The Desert Town, The Rural Village, etc etc. There's just something horribly uncreative about that, it's like you're promised a grand, world-spanning adventure and what you get is just...same shit, different day.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Honestly, I wouldn’t have given Nostalgia the time of day if it weren’t for the fact that all the towns were named after real cities. Something about that just tickled me.

That and the fact that the main party, made up of English and French kids from the Victorian era, have no idea what Noah’s Ark is, and need it carefully explained to them.

Tags
battle of the blands , blue hairs white dragoon , jrpg , light the match , look what you did , lufia , really poor game , secret of methadone , tales of generica