The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

The Animal Crossing NES furniture = emulator news came out last week. It's pretty neat! I always thought the empty NES was a ripoff lol.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

#17 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch, NA, 2017, Nintendo)
Created by Takumi Wada
Votes: 4 for 78 points
Highest: WildcatJF and Patrick (#9)

Right above the original game in the storied franchise is the latest chapter, Breath of the Wild. A bold swath of color decorates the landscape, highlighting both the radically redesigned Link and the massive world to explore. It also does a clever job of focusing on some key areas in the game, such as Hyrule Castle and Death Mountain. A masterwork in illustration.

Takumi Wada is a relatively new hire at Nintendo, beginning with the Japanese-only Zangeki no Reginleiv. His first Zelda assignment was Skyward Sword, which he took the lead on. He continues to act as the lead artist on the Zelda series.

Here's a bigger version of the artwork:

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

That's quite nice but what's up with right-handed Link?
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
King Of Space-Time

Also came out for Wii U, so y'know... motion controls.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
FOR THE SINGLE BEST GAME IN THE ENTIRE SERIES YEAH I SAID IT IDGAF
#17 - THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD

WIIU
North America and Japan got WiiU boxes that used the same art as the switch cover WildcatJF posted. Honestly, I think the North American cover makes much better use of it than the Japanese one. It zooms out on the image just a little bit, which gives you a better look at the game's real star, the massive world of Hyrule.

It also does a much better job of placement, by putting the game's white title over the dark stone making every letter nice and visible. The Japanese title on the other hand extends past the rock into the light grass, which can create problems. To illustrate, here's a cropped screencap of the imgur gallery of all these boxes that I've got open in another window.

And here's all I can see when I look at said gallery.

Yeah. PROBLEMS.

RANKING: SHIT WAS WHD LOL

WIIU - EUROPE
Europe's box got a bird's eye view of Link looking up at some, uh, birds. It's not BAD, but I don't think it holds a candle to the North American or Japanese covers. We can still see plenty of the gigantic sprawling view of Hyrule here, but it's all faded out because what you're REALLY supposed to be focusing on is Link, staring up at the viewer like a dope. Because why would ANYONE focus on an amazing scenic overlook when you could be staring at some elf dude?

RANKING: C+

WIIU - EUROPE - DIGITAL ICON
Europe might have dropped the ball on the physical box, but they they absolutely killed it here. Look at those colors! Just look at them!

RANKING: A

WIIU - UNUSED EARLY VERSION
What is the most generic cover ever made.

RANKING: UNUSED FOR A REASON.

SWITCH
Wow they're all just like the WiiU ones I just covered how very surprising & shocking I'm surprised and shocked.

RANKING: MOVING ON.

SWITCH - NORTH AMERICA - MASTER EDITION
BOX

GARBAGE
Are you guys ready for Lootcrate hell?

RANKING: F-

SWITCH - NORTH AMERICA - SPECIAL EDITION
BOX

TRASH
It was a trick question!

RANKING: F--

SWITCH - EUROPE - LIMITED EDITION
BOX

RUBBISH
Nobody is EVER truly ready for Lootcrate hell!

RANKING: F---

SWITCH - AUSTRALIA - LIMITED EDITION
BOX

JUNK
Anyone who claims to be ready for lootcrate hell is a liar.

RANKING: F----

SWITCH - JAPAN - COLLECTOR'S EDITION
BOX

ごみ
What are you even going to do with all this shit?

RANKING: F-----

SWITCH - EXPLORER'S EDITION
BOXES

CLUTTER
You gonna like, put it on a shelf, so when people come over you can say "Oh yes, this shelf is where I keep all my extremely cool and hip The Legend of Zelda memorabilia."

Nobody's gonna be impressed by that you nerd!

NOBODY!

RANKING: F------
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Hey!

I think McClain’s cool.
Old Today, 02:41 AM

I really like this box. It might be the best Zelda box. In my memory, the Skyward Sword one is better. But the art here is just far more evocative and represents much more of what you're going to be doing in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
It also does a much better job of placement, by putting the game's white title over the dark stone making every letter nice and visible. The Japanese title on the other hand extends past the rock into the light grass, which can create problems.

No Japanese person is gonna read the clearly visible「ゼルダの伝説」and be like, "Oh, I thought this was the new Zelda game, but 'WHD'? I guess not," and then put it back on the shelf. Also the furigana above those English words explaining how to pronounce them in Japanese are all solidly on the rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Wow they're all just like the WiiU ones I just covered how very surprising & shocking I'm surprised and shocked.

RANKING: MOVING ON.
Ya the art is the same, not much to evaluate on that level. But I do like the WiiU versions more though. The WiiU logo takes up more retail space, but the baby blue color blends with the image and is a lot less distracting than bright red square that's completely tonally disconnected. There's also the fact that IRL the image here is on a box, and the blue plastic of the WiiU version makes a very aesthetically pleasing border, like the image is being framed. I love WiiU boxes.

Tags
are game covers art? , box-rating simulator , don't copy that floppy , keyboard vomit from beat , top 50 countdown