The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-08-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
As a person who actually enjoys and still watches RLM stuff, I don't mind their schtick most of the time. I don't think they're actively gamergoobers, and they largely seem to empathize with progressive values, but they far too often dip into the irreverent "everything sucks" South Park brand of equal opportunity haters that I find obnoxious. Most of the time it's just a quick quip that you can ignore, but I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to tolerate even that, and I think it's fair to warn people before watching at the very least. But then there are times where it comes out and it's really bad. Don't watch their Ghostbusters (2016) review. Because that's just scorched earth. Good god.

I set Plinkett reviews aside because the way I see the point of those reviews as a kind of performance art - making a larger point that only racist, misogynistic, homicidal old white men would nitpick a movie to death on the internet like this.
I tend to watch there stuff because they generally do provide really good criticism/unearth really good B-movie cheese, and on the whole, they seem to come from a pretty good place politically. The exceptions seem to come in their discussions of all things Star Wars, either because they know they're on the map from those 90 minute reviews, or they're legitimately scarred that badly, and at some point they seem to have sworn some fiery vendetta against Sony Pictures for some reason.

On the other hand, they (mainly just Mike) do have this general vibe of being the sort of people who have some really horrible never-verbalized bigotry to a point where it's hard not to picture being in a position to say "yeah, I always had a feeling" at some point in the future.

Getting things back to RPO though,
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 PM

I am over secret credits things. When the movie is over, I want to leave. If you wanna put a cool zinger into your thing, there's no reason why you can't end the movie with that, or throw it up on youtube a few days later. This is especially the case now when every dumb event-movie is 2.5hrs long to begin with. I probably need to use the restroom and stretch my legs, why you making me sit through like 10 minutes of key grip and cgi dust animator credits????
Old 04-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Stop:

Quote:
I am over secret credits things. When the movie is over, I want to leave. If you wanna put a cool zinger into your thing, there's no reason why you can't end the movie with that, or throw it up on youtube a few days later. This is especially the case now when every dumb event-movie is 2.5hrs long to begin with. I probably need to use the restroom and stretch my legs, why you making me sit through like 10 minutes of key grip and cgi dust animator credits????
The threat of wetting ourselves so that we can see Starlord do a funny thing is the price of modern cinema.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Find Your Reason

I'll gladly sit through a credits roll that's visually interesting and well choreographed, whether or not it has a carrot waiting at the end. The credits for Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Ant Man, the Iron Man and Captain America films, most Pixars, TRON, et al, give an additional flair beyond a stark black screen with scrolling text. When done badly (Ghostbusters 16) it grates, but when I get something like The Fountain's beautiful microphotography credits, it balances out.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 PM
anti-piracy measure

I swear I've said it before, but I'm way more likely to buy a giant tub of popcorn if there's an intermission thereby allowing me to partake in the free refill.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Nothing is more powerful

I have literally never been angrier than when people walked out during Wall-E's credits.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
I have literally never been angrier than when people walked out during Wall-E's credits.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:56 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
I'm just saying, the movie is, on the surface, about finding an easter egg in a game. Just seemed like a missed opportunity.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Sure, but all of the easter eggs featured in the movie's plot wasn't about finding some secret at the end, or beating the game. Like going in reverse in the race or the secret room in Adventure. It's finding something within the experience that helps you enjoy the ride itself rather than focusing on the destination.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:40 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
This is especially the case now when every dumb event-movie is 2.5hrs long to begin with. I probably need to use the restroom and stretch my legs, why you making me sit through like 10 minutes of key grip and cgi dust animator credits????
This is why Roger Ebert called them "monk's rewards".
Old 04-12-2018, 05:22 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Mind-blowing revelation: filmmakers like after-credit scenes because it means people will actually sit and see everyone's name in the credits instead of walking out while the lead actor's name is still onscreen.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Serial Thread Killer

For all I agree with you, I have to wonder the reaction from people if a movie tried to bring back intermissions. I can picture a crowd full of people's heads cocked to one side in confusion.

Actually everyone would bust out their phones and tweet about it. "Holy crap! An intermission! Its like a leprechaun!"
Old 04-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Dinger!

I would go to the movies twice as often if they brought back intermissions. Let me pee without missing anything!

Shit, just put like 6 more trailers in there, people would love it.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Find Your Reason

Last movie I saw with an intermission was The Two Towers, at a non-franchise theater in Mexico. It was definitely a welcome break, too.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM

Theatres would love intermissions, as they’d give people a chance to buy more food.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Theatres would love intermissions, as they’d give people a chance to buy more food.
Can confirm. Many people would probably just get the classic soda and popcorn refills, but if I knew I'd have intermissions, I would absolutely get two different types of snacks.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Can you guys not piss before a movie and then go two hours without pissing?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
As someone on a diuretic medication and a fear of public washrooms, no I can't.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Hey man. Everyone has their own circumstances. Some people have bladder issues. Some people come from dinner and drank a lot. Some people buy a soda or a beer in the theater and it runs through them. Some people like to stay hydrated all day and frequently use the john. If you had caffeine in anything you drank previously, caffeine is a diuretic speeding up the need to go. Etc, etc. Lots of totally normal and valid reasons here, no need to be incredulous.

I almost always use the restroom before sitting down to see a movie, and by the 2hr mark I'm almost always squirming in my seat. And that's not even counting the fact that most movies have like a half hour of previews before the film, and that most big event movies these days are well over two hours. And if you don't have reserved seating, you also probably need to get to your seats even earlier to get a decent one.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM
King Of Space-Time

Dance With Wolves needed a freaking intermission.

Also anyone with children will tell you, they need bathroom breaks too. Plus theaters could sell more concessions.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

I eat naught but salty popcorn when watching a movie and drink naught plenty of water and/or iced tea.

Trust me... lasting 2 hours is a trial.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 AM
This Guy

If they just went with my plan of replacing all theater seats with toilets, this wouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
If they just went with my plan of replacing all theater seats with toilets, this wouldn't be a problem.
The intermission would then be an excuse to air out the theater.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Safe Space

But then you couldn't hear the film for all the flushing.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
But then you couldn't hear the film for all the flushing.
...now I have a whole slew of questions about A Quiet Place.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Maybe a specialty theater would do well by having intermissions for every movie.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM
vivid energy

i had to get up in the middle of black panther because i was drinking before the movie. i did sit through a three-hour showing of a sailor moon musical a month ago but only by really planning the whole thing out, and even going two hours can be non-trivial. movies are probably too long in general even aside from that i feel like

i pretty much always watch credits, for anything. watching them for the sake of the people whose work is otherwise invisible is part of it, but i also really love them, and i really don't like that stuff like netflix and tv networks gloss over them so much now. i care a lot more when it comes to movies and games though, since i guess there's an element for me of them being like a closure ritual and for individual episodes of tv shows that are much shorter usually and less impactful on their own it doesn't hold the same importance. (still, i was crying a lot when the black panther credits started, and a couple of episodes of adventure time and steven universe had me bawling when they came up as well)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 AM
ドラクは死にました

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
(still, i was crying a lot when the black panther credits started, and a couple of episodes of adventure time and steven universe had me bawling when they came up as well)
It should be criminal how quickly the credits zip by on AT, SU, and most other cartoons! Except I guess the trade-off would be less cartoon...anyway we've had to rewind so many times to catch a glimpse of animation directors, voice actors, etc.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM

I used to watch credits to find out where movies were filmed. It used to be a fun game I did with my dad where we’d guess based on background shots and taking educated guesses (look at the angle of the sun in every scene and the skyline, it must be Vancouver!). But now, not only is that information readily and easily available on the internet, but the locations usually boil down to “green screen studio in wherever” which is not as interesting.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
...now I have a whole slew of questions about A Quiet Place.
King in Yellow, let it mellow?

Haven't seen it or really heard much but I'm really hoping it's Lovecraftian enough to get a pass because monster is a hard rhyme.

Tags
1 corinthians 13:12 , and it’s spectacular , bring it in guys , do hate the player , funko toy story , here in spielburg , if our eyes aren't real , it's real... real good , reality bites , snow crash , the comiconomicon , the funkopop movie , what if nerds but worse , when you die in the game , you die for real