The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 AM

Megalobox Episode 2 spoiler.

It's your name you pick it. "Joe."
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I mean, that was gonna happen, though I'd half thought they might save it for the end.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Starts with your heart

The cyborg boxing cartoon has transformed me into a cosmic demigod.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

I want to see some dude spit a sick freestyle over the megalobox theme

Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Hinamatsuri is, in fact, going off the rails. In a good way. Best anime comedy since Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Has there been an anime film about World War 2 that wasn’t set in the homefront about civilians trying to live their lives while the war churning on? I can’t remember hearing of much media in Japan that deals with all the...bad things that happened in the Pacific.
Saw an article about Takahata today that reminded me of this. (link is to a Japanese language source) Apparently, after Grave of the Fireflies and before Only Yesterday, he wanted to make a movie that depicted the Japanese invasion of China, based on the novel Borderlines by Shikata Shin. Unfortunately, it was decided to end the project due to the politics at the time surrounding the Tiananmen Squarere incident. (The author of the article is unable to determine exactly what this means, who exactly made the decision to cancel it, etc. But judging by quotes from Takahata in an interview on the subject, it strongly seems to have been someone else's decision to end the project and Takahata regretted that it never came to fruition.)

A frequent criticism of Grave of the Fireflies is that it fails to confront Japanese war responsibility, and it seems that Takahata himself agreed with this criticism and wanted to make Borderlines as a kind of companion anti-war movie to paint a fuller picture.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
Hinamatsuri is, in fact, going off the rails. In a good way. Best anime comedy since Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun?
What people find funny is obviously going to be YMMV. For myself, I'm finding Hinamatsuri's sense of humor and comic timing to be a bit off. It's still funny, but it's not nearly as good as it could be. Meanwhile, there's been a lot of low key really good comedies in between. Just a few personal favs off the top of my head:

Nobunaga no Shinobi
Saiki Kusuo
Mob Psycho 100
Osomatsu-san
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Little Witch Academia
Kyoukai no Rinne
AssClass
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Ore Monogatari
Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
A frequent criticism of Grave of the Fireflies is that it fails to confront Japanese war responsibility, and it seems that Takahata himself agreed with this criticism and wanted to make Borderlines as a kind of companion anti-war movie to paint a fuller picture.
If you believe Takahata's take on it, Grave of the Fireflies was never meant to be anti-war to begin with. Rather it's a stern talking down to the youth of today who don't appreciate how good they have it, and the pitfalls of being too headstrong (the kids only die because they run away from home). So it would make sense that he would want to turn around and make an actual anti-war film afterwards to show people how it's done.

Would have loved to have seen this movie. It's a shame it never got made. Instead we got Pom Poko.

I would assume the Tienanmen Square politics has to do with not wanting to deal with the outcry of making a movie that's seen as apologetic to China during a time where they were receiving universal condemnation for brutally massacring thousands of their own people for peacefully protesting for a more democratic process.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:52 PM

Big shout out to Eureka 7 and Devilman: Crybaby for getting me into Denki Groove because daaaaaaamn this is the best musical group I have found in a while. Hella into this shit. The last time I got hooked bad was by Funkadelic last year. I've now launched into a quest to check out their whole discography. They have such a variety in their musical career its really a pleasure to dive into. So much damn depth and on occasion they even got funk so thick I can't leave it alone. This is what the boys want and this is what the boys need; this what the boys desire and this is what the boys require.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Nothing is more powerful

It's unfortunately unlicensed by any legal streamers, but Creature Family Days / Shiyan Pin Jiating / Jikkenhin Kazoku looks to be a super pleasant series about a family of five siblings (not sure whether blood-related) who were experimented on by their mad scientist parents but were recently emancipated and are now trying to figure out how to live on their own. It's like X-Men: The Slice-of-Life.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:05 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Big shout out to Eureka 7 and Devilman: Crybaby for getting me into Denki Groove because daaaaaaamn this is the best musical group I have found in a while.
I think I have mentioned that the last time I was in Japan I had to stop myself from bringing home about a cubic foot of their LPs.

last I checked you can get a lot of their shit on Discogs for (by Discogs standards) reasonable amounts of money.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
If you believe Takahata's take on it, Grave of the Fireflies was never meant to be anti-war to begin with. Rather it's a stern talking down to the youth of today who don't appreciate how good they have it, and the pitfalls of being too headstrong (the kids only die because they run away from home). So it would make sense that he would want to turn around and make an actual anti-war film afterwards to show people how it's done.
In the linked article and elsewhere, Takahata is explicit that this is a movie depicting the horrors of war and urging peace so that doesn't happen again. However, he argues it is not an "anti-war" movie for the same reason that many of his critics too: by depicting suffering in such an emotional way, it can just as easily be used as a pro-war movie by those who advocate the need for war (and to win the war) in order to avoid suffering just like that. He argues that making depictions of war that appeal to emotions like this always include an inherent danger of being used by warmongers.

In contrast to this, his vision of an "anti-war movie" would have to portray larger systemic problems, rather than be an emotional appeal.

(Creators say different things about their work at different times.)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I think I have mentioned that the last time I was in Japan I had to stop myself from bringing home about a cubic foot of their LPs.

last I checked you can get a lot of their shit on Discogs for (by Discogs standards) reasonable amounts of money.
Will be checked out and (If I get a job ) shacked up.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Ahhhhhhhhh!

I forgot Full Metal Panic was coming back. The first episode feels like a running start. They even cut out the OP and ED so they could get through a quick refresher and set up for the season. The only weird thing is that animation looks like CG. Or the CG they use looks like animation. I can't tell.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I forgot Full Metal Panic was coming back. The first episode feels like a running start. They even cut out the OP and ED so they could get through a quick refresher and set up for the season. The only weird thing is that animation looks like CG. Or the CG they use looks like animation. I can't tell.
The walk animation for the enemy mech when it was being loaded into its transport looked hella funny.

Other than that it's more Full Metal Panic.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Which Full Metal Panic though? The Kyoto Animation Full Metal Panic was okay but the Gonzo Full Metal Panic was a carload of smashed asses.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Is it the funny kind or the serious kind? I may possibly find it in me to be interested in the funny kind.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 PM

It's going to be the serious half. The characters from the funny half are there but I think they are going to play small roles at best. Years ago I read summaries of the rest of the novels so I'm looking forward to seeing them animated.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Which Full Metal Panic though? The Kyoto Animation Full Metal Panic was okay but the Gonzo Full Metal Panic was a carload of smashed asses.
Like The Second Raid, it assumes that Gonzo Full Metal Panic happened but was produced by someone competent, and so made any sense at all.

It is definitely not more Fumoffu.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 AM

Last time I watched any FMP was... almost 15 years ago now? I don't remember much of the plot. I also don't remember the Gonzo version of it being bad either. I'm vaguely interested in this new show, but not so much that I'd go rewatch the old show to catch up.

However...

I am very interested in the new show because of the plastic-crack that's coming out for it from Bandai...!

Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
It is definitely not more Fumoffu.
bummer, the Full Metal Panic rugby episode is the best Full Metal Panic by like astronomical distances
Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

That's mostly true of the source material though too; the school hijinks stuff only really goes up through the first few arcs in the manga/novels, after that it's all mecha and political stuff all the time. It's why the comedy manga spinoff(s) happened.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

okay, yeah, Hinamatsuri is pretty great.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
That's mostly true of the source material though too; the school hijinks stuff only really goes up through the first few arcs in the manga/novels, after that it's all mecha and political stuff all the time. It's why the comedy manga spinoff(s) happened.
It's really a shame because "that bit at the start of Gundam wing where Heero goes to school only he's a fuckup and she isn't a psychopath" is a great concept.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Watching the anime-viewing parts of the internet meltdown after this week's Darling in the FranXX is some amazing popcorn.gif scourge material.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Remembers Love

So, is FranXX any good? I'm a fairweather Trigger person, in that I adore LWA and dug Lulaco, at least, but I bounced off the first episode of DitF.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Nothing is more powerful

I've refused to watch any of the show on principle but I'm still pretty sure that its premise was done better in Simoun.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 AM

If you didn't like the first episode, I don't think there's going to be much beyond it that's going to change your mind. It's a pretty decent looking, paint-by-numbers, post-EVA mecha show, but comes with a lot of the same baggage you'd assume from a show with that description. I'm somewhat enjoying it, but it's very YMMV. I don't think it's nearly as problematic as other Trigger/A-1 Production things, but there's more than enough eye-rolling gender issues and male gaze to warrant a warning over.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 AM

There is a new show this season called Isekai Izakaya. It's literally the exact same show as Restaurant to Another World from last year. The difference is that this is a knockoff, and that the food featured is Japanese Izakaya bar-food and not European food. The first episode featured oden. The second chicken kara'age.

The episodes are only half-length, so it's a quick watch. And they back-end each episode with a live action coda that's in a variety show format where they have different people show us the same foods IRL. If you liked Restaurant to Another World, then you know this quantity. It's not an amazing show by any means, but it's nice comfort food.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM
coral reefer madness

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Watching the anime-viewing parts of the internet meltdown after this week's Darling in the FranXX is some amazing popcorn.gif scourge material.
I want to hear more about this, because I read a synopsis and am not sure what they are so upset about
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
If you didn't like the first episode, I don't think there's going to be much beyond it that's going to change your mind. It's a pretty decent looking, paint-by-numbers, post-EVA mecha show, but comes with a lot of the same baggage you'd assume from a show with that description. I'm somewhat enjoying it, but it's very YMMV. I don't think it's nearly as problematic as other Trigger/A-1 Production things, but there's more than enough eye-rolling gender issues and male gaze to warrant a warning over.
It feels like very much the kind of thing where prior episodes are going to be continuously recontextualized by later developments. The emphasis is heavily on dystopic YA-style interpersonal drama, so if that's not your thing, you definitely want to pass.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road