The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Default Metal Gear

Did anyone else just play the original Metal Gear for the first time thanks to the MGS3 HD pack-in? Because I just did and holy crap it was awesome. Here are two observations I made during the course of my adventure:

"This game is all about drawing maps. I LOVE GAMES ABOUT DRAWING MAPS SO MUCH."

"Wow, it's not often I play a game from 1980-something that is good on its own merits, without having to qualify it as being 'good for its time'!"

(There is one kind of bullshit unclued thing in the game that I had to run to GameFAQs for, but I am a forgiving person.)

Both of those things are awesome and true, and I haven't even started Metal Gear 2 yet. I'm pretty stoked.

I'm actually kind of surprised at how much I enjoyed it, considering how many times I've tried and failed to get into the NES version, both as a kid and as an adult. I can't really articulate why the MSX version is so much better. It's not like the core gameplay mechanics, or even the sequence of events, are that different.

(And this can serve as a general replay/appreciation thread for the Metal Gear series too, I guess.)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Morbid symptom

Splendid. Be sure to play MG2 next, eh? I still think that's the best game in the series, most of the time. Occasionally I see sense and realise it's MGS3. Really, though, get it played. It's absolutely fantastic, and moves at a good clip from the word go, unlike most of the others. It also has one of the best soundtracks on the MSX - a big personal favourite, anyhow.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Fun Club Agent

I just did this too! Right on all points, and I loved the progression when Big Boss first tries to misdirect you, but I had to look at GameFaqs on TWO occasions:

the Enemy Uniform
the Rocket Launcher

Wall punching and Codec conversations are paramount!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 PM

I figured out the wall-punching, but yeah, the Rocket Launcher got me.

I rescued the guy who tells you Jennifer's number, and was Class 4 at the time. I tried calling her right away and got no response, so I figured I'd try again after I got to Class 5. Needless to say, that's not the goddamn solution.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I own this on NES but never really got into it either. But since I've got the MGS HD pack sitting on my shelf I guess I oughta give this a try.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

... and now, a lesson in tap-dancing.

__1 2 3 4 5
1 A B C D E
2 F G H I J
3 L M N O P
4 Q R S T U
5 V W X Y Z
6 1 2 3 4 5
7 6 7 8 9 0
Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Metal Gear is pretty awesome, and Metal Gear 2 is even better. I mean, the first MGS is just a "best moments of" compilation for MG1 and 2. Other than THREE-DEE GRAFIX, I think all the mechanics used in MGS are from MG2.

It's pretty cool that the two Metal Gear games show that even without all the crazy Kojima plot and cutscenes, the core gameplay is still really Solid Snake.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
... and now, a lesson in tap-dancing.

__1 2 3 4 5
1 A B C D E
2 F G H I J
3 L M N O P
4 Q R S T U
5 V W X Y Z
6 1 2 3 4 5
7 6 7 8 9 0
What's this now? Is it the key to that morse code thing MG2 did as a DRM sort of thing, which they forgot to include in the manual for the MGS3 bonus version?

But anyway yeah. MG1 and 2 are frelling amazing, and I'm always so sad people are always ignoring them.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Metal Gear is pretty awesome, and Metal Gear 2 is even better.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM
poisonous thread snake

Great games! I can't help but sneer knowingly at the thought of Metal Gear Solid, now having played Metal Gear 2.

It makes me wonder what other obscure Konami titles may still be slipping under people's radars.... like uhhh... Usas... or King's Valley II... or uh... that third Galious game. I guess there probably isn't that much left at this point, but considering the focused nerdity often directed at Konami titles, I'm surprised that Usas, at least, hasn't really had anything written about it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM
is Earnest

They're coming up in my series playthrough. I gotta play Peace Walker first though.

Oh, I have played Ghost Babel though. That game is extremely solid.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Both of those things are awesome and true, and I haven't even started Metal Gear 2 yet. I'm pretty stoked.
If you've played MGS you'd played about 80% of MG2.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Clickclickclickclick

People are just now getting around to playing these? I played them when they were pack-ins for MGS3:Subsistence. Metal Gear was pretty fun, and Metal Gear 2 is every bit as good as Metal Gear Solid.

Brick, you are in for a treat!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
If you've played MGS you'd played about 80% of MG2.
Shit, if you've played MGS you've played 80% of MG1 and MGS2, too. And about 20% of MGS4. =P
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
People are just now getting around to playing these? I played them when they were pack-ins for MGS3:Subsistence.
I ended up snatching up the MGS trilogy on PS2 in my attempt to get Subsistence. Mostly because I wanted those MSX ports. But, lo' and behold, while the trilogy did have the Subsistence version of MGS3, it was only disc 1. It even said, "disc 1," on the title screen. But, no disc 2 was to be found.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements View Post
I ended up snatching up the MGS trilogy on PS2 in my attempt to get Subsistence. Mostly because I wanted those MSX ports. But, lo' and behold, while the trilogy did have the Subsistence version of MGS3, it was only disc 1. It even said, "disc 1," on the title screen. But, no disc 2 was to be found.
The second disc was most likely cut because it featured a short-lived online multiplayer mode that was already dead after a year and no longer supported by the time the compilation came out. The MSX games and Snake vs. Monkey* mode had the misfortune of being on the same disc, and it was just easier to exclude the disc entirely than spend time and money programming a workaround for an easy cash grab.

*I'm assuming Snake vs. Monkey is MIA in at least the Xbox 360 version, given Ape Escape is a Sony brand.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm up to the chopper fight in MG2, and so far, this game is a lot more about trial-and-error than probably any other MG game I've played. It took me forever to learn how to end alerts, four tries to learn how to win the Running Man fight, and three to figure out how to reliably hit the chopper with Stingers.

I'm, ah, pretty sick of navigating the goddamn swamp. The tap code was pretty neat, though! (And yes, it's included in the software manual on the PSN version.)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Little Waves

I enjoyed being the "Could you do this part?" guy for the MSX games during testing. All cruising through the swamp in under a minute, girls' panties flyin' off
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Bleh, I'm calling bullshit on this scene. I've got Not-Meryl and Dr. Wily following me, which for some reason means I can't crawl, and this area is STUPID with hidden mines.

I realize I should probably have a mine detector by this point, but I don't, and I have no idea where to get one, and none of my codec dudes ever told me to get one, and there hasn't been any point in the game where I've absolutely needed one up until now.

Guess I'll just explode a hundred times until I memorize the mine layouts! Or open a vein, whichever comes first.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
It's all good, man

So among other things, an MGS movie produced by Avi Arad of the Spider-Man movies and a new open-world game called Ground Zeroes were announced in Japan today.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Oh boy! Just went through a long-ass fetch quest to get a hang glider, and then jumped off a building (which ruined my hang glider, I guess?), and then got in a truck, and the truck drove me back to where I started! Guess I get to do all that again?

Or I could just shut the game off. Maybe when I get back from Atlanta I won't be too pissed off to replay all that.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Bleh, I'm calling bullshit on this scene. I've got Not-Meryl and Dr. Wily following me, which for some reason means I can't crawl, and this area is STUPID with hidden mines.

I realize I should probably have a mine detector by this point, but I don't, and I have no idea where to get one, and none of my codec dudes ever told me to get one, and there hasn't been any point in the game where I've absolutely needed one up until now.

Guess I'll just explode a hundred times until I memorize the mine layouts! Or open a vein, whichever comes first.
For reference, here's what that area looks like with the mine detector equipped. On the leftmost screen, you can see you can easily avoid the mines by moving along the bottom to the center, then straight up, hugging the left edge of the central structures:

This is where you find the mine detector:

In a room in the top-right corner of 3F of the Zanzibar Building. It only requires Card 2 to enter, so it's customary to grab it after beating the first boss, just a few screens away.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Morbid symptom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I enjoyed being the "Could you do this part?" guy for the MSX games during testing.
*flummoxed*

Did you work on Subsistence or the HD pack, or something?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
oh my car

We got trailer for Ground Zeroes.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Banned

I'm excited for Big Boss versus Freddy Krueger: The game.

I'm also excited about everything else in that trailer too. But mostly that.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Little Waves

Hooooly eyeballs.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
It's all good, man

Video games
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Wimpy Gamer

I've been pretty "meh" on the series since 4, but I'm looking forward to playing this. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Video games
What a thoughtful and evocative post.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Not to come off as a jaded jerk (OK, maybe a bit) but... having not played a Metal Gear game since Solid 3, am I out of the loop? Should I be going all "OH!" when I see Voldemort give some kid a walkman because I recognize one or both of them? Or... did we just kinda waste 6 minutes of trailer time and who-knows-how-much-money doing our best to render what totally almost looks like we just went out to a dirty lot with a fence and shot some real actual dudes walking around in the rain then getting in a jeep?

I mean, I can get behind the last couple minutes there of introducing a character we care about and transitioning into gameplay mode and all, but... yeah.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
9 minutes of cutscene and 1 minute of gameplay. Yep, that's MGS alright.

Trolling aside, I am looking forward to it, as long as its on the 360, and isn't too grimdark.

Tags
a cardboard box , a hind d? , a surveillance camera? , but how does it taste? , erotic violence , i need scissors , i'm in a box , kept you waiting huh? , kojima productions , konami , metal gear , metal gear huh , metal gear?! , nanomachines did it , orange , quiet is ridiculous , raiden dirty , you're pretty good