The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Senhor Member

Yes, he has absolute mastery of his log and logs heís not even touching. Baffling. (this was Nicieza btw, the Dani stuff is Moore)

Speaking of Sugarman, glad he stopped... talking like that at some point in the last 20 years. And he sprung for hair plugs or something!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Senhor Member

I want AoA Husk to come back because she has great hair and Nate really needs some help there. I gotta stop posting about that, but I know I will not.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Hmm, I looks like they're going for an AoA style reshuffle?

Except . . . they just cancelled or relaunched all the books, so there's no stable status quo to shake up....
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Senhor Member

okay Nextgen is funny in a ďwell, weíve only got so many ways to rearrange existing IPsĒ way, but Apocalypse and the X-Tracts is truly wonderful, mostly because Iím just thinking, like.... vanilla extract?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

The image that came to my mind was Apocalypse writing and drawing Chick-style tracts about how true salvation comes only through survival of the fittest. I'd read that.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
The image that came to my mind was Apocalypse writing and drawing Chick-style tracts about how true salvation comes only through survival of the fittest. I'd read that.
Now thereís nothing in the world I want to see more than that.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
uhhhh so . . . maybe?

but in more of a cult-ish hippie type way?

they look like they're having fun with all these weird teams

Last edited by estragon; 11-17-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:02 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

feeling extremely validated that someone currently writing X-Books is validating my concern for OG Betsy Braddock's forgotten dye job, now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Williams
Surge: yo do you use manic panic too?

Betsy Braddock, in her new [sic] white lady bod: nah, it's natural. I just chose to give myself purple hair while psychically reconstructing myself

Rachel Grey: it's cute! one time I psychically reconstructed myself into a whole dinosaur
Old 11-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Senhor Member

Speaking of mutant hair painting, Iíve read one issue of REVOLUTIONary X-Force and it didnít make much of an impression but Bedlam dyed a white X on the side of his head and I like it. Itís cute.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:29 AM

ďRachel Grey: it's cute! one time I psychically reconstructed myself into a whole dinosaurĒ

As always, Chris Claremont is a hell of a drug.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Senhor Member

Exterminationís done! UXMís 8 weeks in! Mild, unsurprising spoilers below!

Pretty solipsistic, adult Bobby! I donít blame you, though, it is of course the writerís and editorsí doing. Really ugly and stupid decision to do this.

Anyway, I would not really say put a gay teen back in the closet so much as they killed him (and four others, too) to stop a non-problem. No, the x-line doesnít indefinitely to follow the young O5. They couldíve just... stopped publishing a book about them. Couldíve sent Bloodstorm back to her own planet, too, but she was both kind of a non-entity here and a totally different character so maybe a Bloodstorm is still in the Mutant Xiverse, trying to create a moon for her planet because theirs got blown up.

UXM also very bad. Nate Grey succccccks here. Heís just doing the PENIS5 AVX stuff with less personality remixed with Age of Apocalypse nonsense. Not planning on buying AoX-Man books live but Iím totally owned if I do.

Yes, itís true, I had a closed mind about both of these books. Someday Iíll finish reading 90s X-Men! But Iíve still got, like, Onslaught ahead of me. Iíll... keep takin my break...
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Sega CD version is better

How come no one told me Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force was basically Grant Morrison's New X-Men: Seal Team 6 edition?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I know everybody is somebody's favorite character, but I'm 100% fine with the fucking over Nate Grey is currently getting in Uncanny X-Men. He's a relic that should have died in AOA.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Senhor Member

They couldíve just... not published any more stories about him. The one theyíre telling is not interesting.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

I don't know, I'm enjoying it better than just about anything X-Men but the X visor Cyclops stuff from 4 or 5 years ago. X-Men has been a mess between all the character kill offs, Fox license fighting, Inhumans BS, etc etc.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Senhor Member

Itís like a dull AvX. Nate Grey does not really resemble any past incarnations; heís just a boring megalomaniacal cipher. Also, I like things Thompson and Rosenberg have written (less familiar with Brisson - Extermination was joyless and bad but that was due to its editorially mandated plot) and this just isnít nearly as fun or flavorful as anything Iíve liked from them.

Yes, of course it would help if I didnít like Nate Grey. I could just ignore this as kind of boring, like X-Mens Gold, Blue, Red, and Astonishing. (wow I really should not have been buying all these comics) I wish Iíd never read DKís Guide to the X-Men! No, that isnít true.

My favorite recentish X-Men team book was... Dennis Hopelessís with the O5, I guess.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 PM

It's sad that X-Men characters only get to have fun books when they escape the main line (Goldballs in Miles Spider-man, Quentin Quire in West Coast Avengers, etc).
Old 01-09-2019, 12:13 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
I could just ignore this as kind of boring, like X-Mens Gold, Blue, Red, and Astonishing.
I really like Red, although I'm reading it in trades so I've only seen the first half.

I kind of feel like maybe there were competing pitches for a flagship book to relaunch the line and Red was one of those rejected pitches, but they liked it enough to let Tom Taylor do a maxi-series with the idea before killing off every X-Men: [Color Goes Here] book. My main issue with Red is more about the state of modern comics publishing than the book itself: it has a bunch of Big Ideas that are almost definitely going to be memory holed forever like it never happened, which is going to be really weird relative to the scale of the story.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Senhor Member

I love Tom Taylorís Wolverine series, but I just donít care for stories about how it takes like supernatural powers to make people hateful bigots. Itís not that hard! Also, probably didnít need to be 12 issues. OTOH it has my favorite kind of ending. Weíre going to mind control you into being a better person now!! I love it. Free will is an illusion and thereís nothing wrong with that; go for it. I mean, Iím pretty sure Morrison already did it but then somebody forgot Ernst was supposed to be Cassandra relatively soon after he left.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I just donít care for stories about how it takes like supernatural powers to make people hateful bigots. Itís not that hard!
Yeah, I like Red in spite of the underlying ideological assumptions. In some ways the premise feels like a liberal fantasy about how the rise of the global right must really be about nefarious external factors (Russian bots or whatever), and then empowers the Jean's X-Men as a savior that can extinguish those external factors. Judging by the critical praise Red received because of its relevance to the current political moment or whatever I was kind of surprised by how this felt like this weakest part of the book.

But . . . it's a very fun action movie.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I really like Red, although I'm reading it in trades so I've only seen the first half.

I kind of feel like maybe there were competing pitches for a flagship book to relaunch the line and Red was one of those rejected pitches, but they liked it enough to let Tom Taylor do a maxi-series with the idea before killing off every X-Men: [Color Goes Here] book. My main issue with Red is more about the state of modern comics publishing than the book itself: it has a bunch of Big Ideas that are almost definitely going to be memory holed forever like it never happened, which is going to be really weird relative to the scale of the story.
Now Iím thinking about that time in Excalibur when half a million people in London got killed and of course it didnít matter because it was around Onslaught. (how many people died during that? Have still only read the spin-off books during that era)

Maybe the worst in-universe slaughter in a ďrealĒ place I can remember reading. (of course, 16 million died in Genosha)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:39 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Now Iím thinking about that time in Excalibur when half a million people in London got killed and of course it didnít matter because it was around Onslaught. (how many people died during that? Have still only read the spin-off books during that era)

Maybe the worst in-universe slaughter in a ďrealĒ place I can remember reading. (of course, 16 million died in Genosha)
I don't think they ever give number counts, but the climax of both Busiek's Avengers involves ridiculously large scale death in real world locations, as part of a global scale war against Kang for Earth that they lose for a few issues. Major cities are destroyed and people are thrown into concentration camps. But like Magneto's destruction of New York in Morrison, this was right before Busiek left the book so . . . everyone just forgets about that time Kang took over the earth, destroyed major cities, and set up concentration camps, leading to a global major refugee crisis.

Like Magneto's attack on New York in Morrison's X-Men, it was in the aftermath of 9/11 and heavily influenced by it in execution (even if maybe the idea came earlier). See this cover for Avengers #55 (August, 2002).

Busiek basically sets up this story as 9/11 but for Marvel Earth, but then the line floundered for a while after Busiek left and then Bendis reset everything, so . . . Oops.

If you write a ridiculous large scale disaster that should probably affect the entire line right before ending a long run or before an Important Crossover Event, it basically never happened.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

In Remender's Uncanny Avengers the Earth is literally destroyed before they do a time travel to fix it. I've never seen it mentioned since.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Wasn't that why Alex Summer was all emo / evil for a while because his bad future baby disappeared? Well, that and some AXIS bullshit.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
In Remender's Uncanny Avengers the Earth is literally destroyed before they do a time travel to fix it. I've never seen it mentioned since.
If I'm understanding what your summary correctly, that kind of thing bothers me a little less because essentially it never happened outside of the memories of the main characters. So, if the characters get some narrative resolution, that's fine with me.

In Busiek's Avengers, Kang murders at least the entire population of Washington, DC and set ups concentration camps, and it's never undone. Seems like it would be a pretty big deal that at least everyone in Washington, DC died and the entire population of earth was either rounded up into camps and/or actively drawn into a prolonged war with Kang, in a story that was not undone with time travel or anything.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Wasn't that why Alex Summer was all emo / evil for a while because his bad future baby disappeared? Well, that and some AXIS bullshit.
They kept his AXIS heel turn but I don't remember him ever mentioning his future baby again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
If I'm understanding what your summary correctly, that kind of thing bothers me a little less because essentially it never happened outside of the memories of the main characters. So, if the characters get some narrative resolution, that's fine with me.

In Busiek's Avengers, Kang murders at least the entire population of Washington, DC and set ups concentration camps, and it's never undone. Seems like it would be a pretty big deal that at least everyone in Washington, DC died and the entire population of earth was either rounded up into camps and/or actively drawn into a prolonged war with Kang, in a story that was not undone with time travel or anything.
I see what you mean.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Senhor Member

Just getting around to UXM 9. Something kind of remarkable happens.
Madrox has sensibly stayed away from the action considering recent events and X-Man kills one of his dupes so Kitty and Storm act... like this:

Assholes! Wow. All dupes are one hundred percent people and they just being Astonishingly glib sacks of shit. Also, I donít remember if only Madrox prime being able to duplicate happened in this series or the recent mini. (which was kinda fun if hard to follow, though I donít like that kind of time travel story)

In the spirit of intellectual honesty: Maggotís return in the final splash page made me crack a smile, but it doesnít compensate for my overall... hatred... of this event. How thrilling to despise the direction the X-Books are heading in! Truly, I am now a fan.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Sega CD version is better

My understanding is Legion is currently possessed by X-Man? That... kind of sounds out of Jamieís pay grade by several orders of magnitude.

And yeah, Peter David era Multiple Man dupes at least could dupe themselves. I remember that being a problem for Hydra when they tried to brainwash him.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Senhor Member

He is, which means X-Manís hair is almost fine again. But honestly, I donít even want this X-Man to have perfect hair.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
My understanding is Legion is currently possessed by X-Man? That... kind of sounds out of Jamieís pay grade by several orders of magnitude.

And yeah, Peter David era Multiple Man dupes at least could dupe themselves. I remember that being a problem for Hydra when they tried to brainwash him.
I recently read Charles Soule's She-Hulk run and there's a Jamie dupe living as a gawdy expensive lawyer. He could make dupes but they had a copy-of-a-copy issue which made them effective for menial labor, but kind of... off. Is that reflective or in defiance of stuff previously established? I feel like people here are the people to ask.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men , xavier is a jerk