The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 AM
It's all good, man

St. Vincent is the Halo of musicians. Very good every time, never blowing my mind.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 AM
An Animal of Joy

I agree there's usually only 1 or 2 songs per album that is truly sticky for me, but they're very good. Also she's one of the few big acts that uses my company's pedals and really uses them like they're meant to be used (to make some really effed up, weird sounds). You have to put the work in to tame them.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Hounds of Love continues to be excellent and continues to reward the listener as it has done for so many years.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 PM
draws near!

The Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile album is like a warm, fuzzy blanket in this cold, effed up world.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Remembers Love

Destroyer's new album is basically: "hey, you know your favorite album from the last decade or so? We took out the Roxy Music and absolutely redlined the New Order."

I'm not sure if it's transcendent, but damn if it isn't exactly my jam.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

New Fever Ray stealth dropped!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 10-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
St. Vincent is the Halo of musicians. Very good every time, never blowing my mind.
I don't know, I thought her self-titled album was really good. The new one fits your description a little better: it's solid, but not amazing. Actually, there have been like a dozen new albums from artists I like this year and they're almost all good, but unsurprising. Strangely, I think I'm liking the new Beck the most, despite the fact that it doesn't sound very Beck-y.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Gesundheit!

Actor is my favorite, I think. I really like St. Vincent, but I've found that her really brilliant, original, transcendent material is concentrated into three or four songs per album, with the rest being fine to very good. Which isn't a bad batting average at all, but critics go fucking crazy for her.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I agree there's usually only 1 or 2 songs per album that is truly sticky for me, but they're very good. Also she's one of the few big acts that uses my company's pedals and really uses them like they're meant to be used (to make some really effed up, weird sounds). You have to put the work in to tame them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Actor is my favorite, I think. I really like St. Vincent, but I've found that her really brilliant, original, transcendent material is concentrated into three or four songs per album, with the rest being fine to very good. Which isn't a bad batting average at all, but critics go fucking crazy for her.
This is about how I feel, too (though, like MCBanjoMike, I think her self-titled was genuinely great). She's not an absolute favourite of mine, but I'm always excited to see what she has in store next.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Gesundheit!

I actually think I like her collaborative album with David Byrne the most, though it got mixed reviews. The single was kind of an awkward fusion of their styles, but the rest was terrific IMO.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM

New album from the Materia Collective featuring orchestrated tracks from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Their previous release similar to this one was Zelda themed (Hero of Time) and was really good. Only listened to a handful of tracks so far, but seems great so far.

Similar to the Zelda album, they also launched a Kickstarter to produce a second follow on album with additional tracks and physical rewards like CDs, T-Shirts, and vinyl.

And like all their work, this is a fully licensed and sanctioned release.

For something on the opposite end composition wise, Shiryu recently released Castlevania: Chiptunes of the Night which features NES and SNES 'demakes' of a tracks form Symphony of the Night. Most of the NES ones are great, though a handful of the SNES ones are grating due to the sound font choices.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:39 AM

My aunt recorded and released a classical music album of her flute playing, sometimes in a piano/flute duet, and sometimes backed by a small orchestra. She's one of the most talented musicians I've ever met, and the entire album is pretty remarkable.

Link to her website, if you're interested!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Your aunt? Very cool.

I've been munching on this a bit lately:

Tags
aural addiction , deals , headphone drama , italo disco , recommendations