The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-01-2019, 01:21 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
a lot of the platforming required MUCH more deft control then the game offered
you're about five or six hours into the game before you get one that's actually suited for combat
20 hours is well beyond what a single runthrough of a troid-em-up should take
Seems you articulated the issues easily enough to me
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM

I think it was tricky in a few spots, but I didn't have too much trouble overall. I think 20 hours was fine, though, especially after all the plaudits that Hollow Knight got, and that clocked in at 30 for me.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Outraged!

Yeah, I canít remember ever getting terribly frustrated, but I have a lot of patience for these games so am not a reliable source. Maybe some of the snake bits.

Pig man is best man, even though he useless.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Children of the Zodiarcs is a fun little game. Turn-based strategy game with deck-building and dice-building with a clever little dice-rolling mechanic. Also, it's the 3rd game I've played to feature the fan-character of Reize, also seen in Valdis Story and Shovel Knight. I love the idea that there's a universe-hopping traveller who just floats around from indie game to indie game (and that's actually how he's presented in Zodiarcs).
Finished this! Didn't overstay it's welcome, and enjoyed it from start to finish. Highly recommend.

That said, holy shit was that ending dark. What a bummer!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:49 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Finally beat Radical Dreamers just now. Well, technically I "beat" it a little while ago, but that was an ending where I fucked up (i.e. Lynx killed Kid, game goes straight to credits); this time I got the real deal. There was a whole lot of walking back and forth between hallways, but all in all I had a good time and I'll likely go back and unlock the fun endings eventually.

But, for now, I'm gonna see about finishing up Crimson Shroud.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 PM

Ooh, Radical Dreamers would be a good game for me to play for "Fan Translation February" over at Hardcore Retro Gaming. I put a little time into it years ago. About how long does it take to get through?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Ooh, Radical Dreamers would be a good game for me to play for "Fan Translation February" over at Hardcore Retro Gaming. I put a little time into it years ago. About how long does it take to get through?
Only about two hours, give or take. It's not a long game.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Finished Solitairica on Normal with the Warrior. I failed enough times that I was able to unlock all the other classes, and also buy up the Monk's full suite of item slots and their Q K A upgrades. It plays really differently from Warrior, which was kind of surprising to me. For one thing, it seems to have a much much easier time getting longer chains and as a result gets more cash.

Fun game! I'll at least get through Normal with all the different characters, but have my doubts I'll bother with Epic.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Epic Mode is just vicious, I donít think Iíve made it even a quarter of the way through it.

Other than that, I think Bard may be the toughest class to use; so much of it is luck-based depending on what shows up in the shop.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I beat the game with Monk, I like them a lot. Some classes are a lot easier or harder, but often that means changing your strategy to take advantage of their unique skills. Plus, if you get lucky with your shop you can do well with any deck.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
The metal babble flees!

Figuring out how best to use the shop (still a work in progress) has been one of my favorite things about Solitairica. I wish I'd made notes on which items/spells I had on my winning Warrior run, but unfortunately didn't have the foresight. I didn't make a lot of creative use of "red" with Warrior, which makes me think that trying out the predominantly red character might be educational and/or painful.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

The trick to a heavily red character is to get Alchemize (a 1-cost purple spell that turns every card into a Coin Card, and... I think Berserker Strike (might have the name wrong, but its a Red spell that eliminates every card of the same suit).

Combine them and you can wreak havoc on anything. Especially enemies that divide their columns
Old 02-04-2019, 11:10 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Dark Souls 3 took about 20 hours. All the fights were significantly shorter than I expected, to the point I expected even some of the bosses I struggled with to have an additional phase.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:50 AM
Meal break

Hammeriní Hero suffered a bit from being in 3D, I think. The platforming felt slow and imprecise even when there wasnít slowdown, and it was often too zoomed in to see what was going on. But even though I was wishing from a gameplay perspective it was a tighter, faster, 2D game (maybe I should try some of the earlier games in the series), it had a lot of charm and a lot of neat stuff going on in the background that probably wouldnít have been there if it were 2D, from the changing axis of movement and zooming in and out to the various background characters doing their own thing.

After several attempts at the fourth stage boss which almost all ended in me getting hit by a projectile that came in from offscreen and hit me before I had time to dodge I got tired of playing through the level over and over to keep retrying the boss and switched to ďapprenticeĒ difficulty, which gives more lives and three hits to kill you instead of one. The game didnít take long to finish after that, but I was able to enjoy the stuff I liked about it without being weighed down by the bits I didnít.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Other than that, I think Bard may be the toughest class to use; so much of it is luck-based depending on what shows up in the shop.
Oh man, hard disagree; Bard is busted good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I just wrecked the game with Bard, and it was largely thanks to comboing the bard 2-Agility ability, Inspiration, with the 4-Attack ability Expose Weakness. Inspiration triples the next non-Agility card reward, and Expose Weakness destroys any non-Attack card and triples its reward, and the two combine in the way that you'd hope, which is to say that if I toggle on Inspiration and then use Expose Weakness on either a Defense or Wisdom card, I get 9 of that resource all at once. That's the baseline case that helps get me the income I need to support the special case: doing this to coin cards and wild cards. Applying it to a wild card gives you 9 Wildstone (I farmed ~150 wildstone from Emporer Stuck on this run), and applying it to a triple coin card (I used Alchemy liberally) gives you 27 coins for a single card. I also eventually bought a 4-leaf clover (doubles coin rewards, for 54 per card), so most of my matches would end with Inspiration x 2 -> Expose Weakness x 2 -> 54 coins x 2. My coin income was absolutely ridiculous. (Incidentally, for the curious, the store runs out of hourglasses to sell after you buy 3, and I still had several hundred gold to spare. I may have gone a bit overboard.) The only challenge was making sure not to get too greedy and keeping all of my resource bars full for fully powered healing songs.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Just beat Crimson Shroud; turns out the latest fight I'd been stuck on was also one of the last, and a small bit of loot grinding and gear rearranging got me through the wall.

END SPOILER TALK
I did not expect the final boss to actually be the crimson shrouded figure depicted in the game's logo! Like, I thought it was just a Sir Lady Not-appearing-in-this-game case, or at most a flashback character, but nope, it's the actual dang final boss right there on the cover. Got a painted figure and everything.

Really should've seen horribly wounded Frea actually being the doppelganger coming, though.

SPOILER TALK END

Will play New Game Plus soon.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this about a God of War game, but the new PS4 entry was fantastic. 10/10, with the acknowledgement that giving it that score doesn't mean it's perfect. It did, however, have the right combination of exploration, combat, and surprisingly effective storytelling.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Meal break

Reverie for Vita was a pleasant little Zelda-like. It had a reasonable set of abilities, an enjoyable setting (an island off New Zealand), and some fairly decent puzzles. I had some complaints (the snorkel set should have been used automatically instead of needing to be equipped, and the pet rock should have required a manual pickup - I died at least once by getting too close to it and having the PC pick it up when it was blocking a laser), but on the whole an enjoyable experience.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

There's not a lot of variety to Far Cry Primal but at least it didn't actively piss me off multiple times while I was playing it like 5 did.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:03 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I have just beaten Puzzle Bobble 2 in Player vs. CPU mode on Normal difficulty. Here's my synopsis of the experience. Spoilers, but it's a puzzle game with ridiculous fluff for an almost nonexistent plot so don't worry about them.

Bub starts his adventure off by running into a Blubba, those purple whale-like creatures from Bubble Bobble who in that game proper have a skeleton ghost cousin that will slaughter any bubble dragons who remain on a floor for too long. Thinking logically that Bub will probably try to trap them in a bubble and commit bubble-murder on it, the li'l monsta bares their fangs at him. Bub touches the creature's erect tongue and it backs down in embarrassment; it's the first encounter of the game and YOU JUST VIOLATED BLUBBA.

Blubba falls easy.

Behind door number two on Bub's hit list is a robot cat whose head falls off. It puts up more of a fight, but also falls quick.

Our third opponent is a girl who's basically a kemono pink sheep. Bub is attracted to her; guess he has a thing for being sent to prison cute young girls straight out of a kid's cartoon. Sheep girl is the first big quarter muncher of the game.

After knocking the lamb down, Opponent 4 is a wirey caped asshole with a lightbulb for a head, who electrocutes Bub. We shatter his stupid face.

Our fifth foe...so much is going on there. She looks like a lamia, but she's blue with an eye in the center of her forehead like a jewel and has her tongue hanging out. I'm thinking the Hindu goddess Kali (misspelled as Kary and Curly in other Japanese games) was an inspiration, but then I notice the knife and fork and start thinking of the hungry ghosts. And later on, I realize she has multiple faces, like an Asura. There's just so much to take in...

After taking down Kelly, Bub stops by China and apparently ends up in an episode of Nihao Kai-Lan, when the titular star spins around and makes Bub dizzy. Fittingly, much like the stage this encounter takes place on, Stereotypical Chinese Girl is also A FRICKIN' WALL. I've no doubt this stage devoured many a quarter in Japanese arcades.

And we're past the halfway point. Stage 7 is has a giant mustachioed Geodude balancing a cloud with a city on his head at the Bust-A-Move equivalent of Mount Rushmore. He squishes Bub. Roll credits.

Nah, I'm kidding about the credits thing I kicked his ass.

Our eighth victim is one of those li'l robed ghost-wizard guys you may know as Boris. He pushes Bub around with a rock; I beat him in a few tries.

Mighty No.9 is a vampire. There are female and male coffins labelled Dorajo and Dorabo, but our assailant is of ambiguous gender and I'm not about to make an assumption as to which one they are.

After defeating the vampire, a robot jack-in-the-box scares Bub to death. He's another quarter muncher, but not as bad as Stage 6's.

At Stage 11, we enter what finally looks like the endgame. The opponent is basically what I'd describe as how Doctor Robotnik's giant mecha from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 would look if the Eggman was a bubble dragon. This is a dark, intimidating boss that uses a cannon instead of a standard bubble launcher, and it is by far the biggest quarter-muncher in the entire game.

Puzzle Bobble 2 wants you to believe that it's a game of skill. THIS IS A DIRTY GODDAMNED LIE. The key to success in Puzzle Bobble 2 is not skill, it's luck. Being lucky enough to get the right bubble colors, being lucky enough for your bubbles to go where you intended them to go, being lucky enough to have your opponent not fill your play field with garbage. More quarters cannot buy you victory, but they can buy you more chances that your opponent can and will fuck up.

But while luck is the biggest factor, you can't just be a Luigi and sit on your ass and do nothing while hoping that sweet, sweet victory will be yours, either. You need to make the best moves with whatever rubbish load you've got, 'cuz that next credit might be your last. Especially if you were dumb enough to spend actual money to get that far.

Taito knew this. The arcade industry knew this. The people behind the most successful free-to-play schemes know this. Get players in by starting off simple and easy with a tubba Blubba, then have some robot cats and snake women that may take some credits but still go down fairly easily, and then maybe some players will think that it's THEIR FAULT when that sheep kid or Asian ballerina wrecks their shit and the cute widdle cartoon dinosaur cries his eyes out yet again. If they stick around to blow a week's pay on the killer mecha, then it worked; Joe Candy Crush just caught himself another whale.

If you defeat the mecha, you find out it was only the penultimate boss; some drunk was piloting it and now you have to defeat him. Thankfully he's much easier, but he still poses enough of a challenge that the game will most likely acquire a few more quarters before the end. They know that you know this is the real final boss, you're too invested to quit now.

And then Bub returned the stars to the sky and the credits rolled. THIS STORY IS HAPPY END! For the arcade owners. Now go play another difficulty setting or the robust puzzle mode dear Bragginses, we needs more of your PRECIOUS coinses.

tl;dr I'm very glad I only had to spend $8 to play this amazing but brutally difficult game.

Last edited by MetManMas; 02-08-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I beat the game with Monk, I like them a lot.
I"ve done that now, too. Basically stunlocked the last half of the game.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Completed the Parkitect campaign. I've got all the bonus goals except for one... Making your park exceptionally profitable is difficult...
Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

Guacamelee 2 took a "If it ain't broke" approach to the first game, as it was pretty much the same as the first game with different levels. Since that first game was Guacamelee, this is lofty praise indeed. If I had any complaints in comparing the two of them, it was that the final boss in the first game was more enjoyable.

But that part is in this game as well, so, again, nothing to complain about.

It also became a masocore platformer so gradually, I didn't even realize it was happening. Up until the final two areas where it became abundantly clear.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Just finished a run of Bust-A-Move Plus! on its first stage pack, i.e. the Puzzle Bobble 2 ones. Did it without getting a Game Over, too; I was playing on Easy, but the game's still difficult enough that you'd probably end up continuing a few times if you want to complete a run, losing your high score in the process.

My final score.

I'm a little disappointed that the ending amounted to little more than A WINNER IS YOU ("You got all the gems!" it says, gems spinning about the screen as I look on, bewildered), but that's only 'cuz Puzzle Bobble 2's routes would at least give you a unique ending pic with Bub depending on which one you take. Probably a safe assumption that this game's endings are all the "Gems get!" one.

But I will definitely be playing again! Game's got some chill tunes.

Two of my favorites.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:44 PM

Alcahest is such an odd bird. It looks like an ARPG, but it's really more of an RPG-inspired action game, like you'd see in the arcades. Fun game, though, with some tracks that sound a wee bit like Kirby. (It's Hal Labs and Jun Ishikawa.)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Beat Solitairica with the Monk. Had a lot of luck with good rows of cards, and even survived at one of the last enemies with only one health. Spoilers for gameplay stuff: The trampoline is pretty great then, when monsters set up attacks for three rounds, that just do an absurd amount of damage. I just replaced the stun and shield defence ability, because shield becomes pointless at the end because of poison, and stun gets often thrown back or is effective for one less round. The trampoline just saves you one round of damage and destroys a ton of cards in the process. Additionally, the black hole that heals you instead of doing damage was the other safety measure, but I think I never needed it.

The last boss was pretty simple, as you only need to make sure to destroy poison and burning cards, elsewise he only damages you every six rounds or so. Enough time to set up the trampoline, he destroyed himself with his fifth attack for me. Elsewise mainly annoying, with all the negative status effects. But in general a lot of fun, at least if you draw the right cards.

I really like the game, but it feels more luck-based than I would like. Especially the third fight never stops being hard, no matter how much I learn about this game. But it seems in general to be not much about skill. Or is that just me? Sometimes you just get dealt bad cards, and you can't really do anything against it.

Anyway, I'm curious how the hard mode will turn out.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Celeste is really good! I didn't go through all of it purely on default, but I did try to keep things to double dashing in assist mode unless I was really stuck. But it's a lovely game and I'm happy to have experienced it.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

Axiom Verge is a very good troid-em-up that suffers from having some fairly unclear objectives (especially towards the end of the game when you have most of the map available and no idea where to go to use your new abilities) and some visually impressive, but not very fun boss fights. Not counting a couple of stand-out exceptions.

Still extremely good at what it does, mind. And itís hard to find many troid-em-ups that donít suffer from that first problem.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Wargroove is in the can! What a good video game. That said, I 3-starred every mission (it got easier to 3-star as it went and I got into the groove, as it were; I don't think I replayed a single mission for ranking after Act 3 of 7) but still finished the game 4 stars shy of unlocking the ending, so I guess I'm going to have to check out Puzzle or Arcade mode next!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Axiom Verge is a very good troid-em-up that suffers from having some fairly unclear objectives (especially towards the end of the game when you have most of the map available and no idea where to go to use your new abilities) and some visually impressive, but not very fun boss fights. Not counting a couple of stand-out exceptions.

Still extremely good at what it does, mind. And itís hard to find many troid-em-ups that donít suffer from that first problem.
All of that ties into why I've yet to beat the damn game still...

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , game over , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , too much free time , true end , victory cry , whittling the backlog , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner