The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

View Poll Results: Well?
Tea-dus 29 41.43%
Tie-dus 41 58.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 PM
q 3's Avatar
q 3 q 3 is offline
Hello. Can you hear me?
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe
Posts: 2,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Tittus.... I hate it....
Anime Tidus
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 AM
four-so's Avatar
four-so four-so is offline
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Pronouns: ♂
Posts: 5,272
Default

I've always pronounced them "Tea-dus" and "Sif-er".

The only really odd one for me is Celes, which I've always pronounced "Chel-iss", like the beginning sound in the word cello, and as far as I know, I'm the only one that does this.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-30-2019, 12:22 AM
Sensenic's Avatar
Sensenic Sensenic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Barcelona
Pronouns: 'He' & co
Posts: 745
Default

I basically pronounce them in Spanish, which just happens to be pretty close to how they're transliterated from Japanese:

TEA-doos
SAY-fer
SE-les (Catalan) / THE-les (Spanish, as in "thick", not as in "the")
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
Born in the USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 19,978
Default

Si-fo Dy-as
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
the :motion: stands
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OR
Pronouns: He / Him
Posts: 7,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
"Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Alixsar's Avatar
Alixsar Alixsar is offline
The Shogun of Harlem
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlem
Posts: 24,113
Default

It doesn't matter how you say it because either way that dude sucks ass

Half a pant leg havin' mother fucker
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 31,277
Default

"Chappu 2".
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 AM
clarice's Avatar
clarice clarice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 153
Default

I really like Tidus. I do not identify with him at all, but i think i like him because the game is so honest about his problems. I like his narration - it is interesting to see him dealing with his issues. Overall i think FFX is fantastic.

I even like his pants.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 PM
MrBlarney's Avatar
MrBlarney MrBlarney is offline
Infinity Squared!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 677
Default

When I first played FFX, I thought it was TIE-dus. Then Kingdom Hearts I and encountering the Japanese katakana representation of his name overwrote everything in my mind of TEA-dus. I haven't really played any FF or KH content since the days of the PS2 though, so if it's switched back at some point, I've missed it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-31-2019, 03:32 AM
Phantoon's Avatar
Phantoon Phantoon is offline
I Cuss You Bad
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albion
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
listen, if SE is going to make a character whose name is basically a name that already exists in my language, I'm basically going to pronounce it like that name c.f. Titus
Yeah. I agree with this - they should have spelt it "Teedus" if they wanted English speakers to say it right. I'm struggling to think of English words beginning with "Ti" where you'd pronounce it "Tee".

Also it'll always be Aeris to me.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 AM
four-so's Avatar
four-so four-so is offline
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Pronouns: ♂
Posts: 5,272
Default

I always assumed it was pronounced like a non-native English speaker would pronounce it. For example, the way a French person would say the name Titus, which is to say TEE-TUS, not TIE-TUS. Of course, TIE-TUS is usually the English pronunciaton.

Tiramisu is close to the sound I'm thinking of; of course not an English world.

I've always pronounced it TEE-DUS but I was not aware of the katakana. Now I'm wondering why I chose this way, especially with TIE-DUS making a bit more sense with the weather phenomena thing they had going for a bit. (Cloud, Squall, Lightning)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,347
Default






It's Tee-dus; it was always Tee-dus; everyone working on the game understood it was Tee-dus.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:27 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
Born in the USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 19,978
Default

It's easy to forget how much less accessible online video was back then.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:00 AM
Pizzarino Sbarro's Avatar
Pizzarino Sbarro Pizzarino Sbarro is offline
Senhor Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,258
Default

Why teedus and not teeda. Teedus is a p. counterintuitive pronunciation for English speakers. Everyone avoided saying it in FFX because they agree.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Sami's Avatar
Sami Sami is offline
Obsession or passion?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Why teedus and not teeda. Teedus is a p. counterintuitive pronunciation for English speakers. Everyone avoided saying it in FFX because they agree.
This is the logical explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Joe McGuffin Joe McGuffin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Why teedus and not teeda.
This also blew my mind when I learned about Solidus/“Solider”(!) Snake.

(Along these lines, is the magazine called “Gamest” because it’s beyond just “gamer”?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
final fantasy , square enix

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007