The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Urban.

Champion.

I would sincerely like to read your passionate defense of this game. I've never met anyone who likes it and even I have a hard time appreciating it past the expressiveness of the sprites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peklo
Lots of woman-led Famicom games--Layla, The Wing of Madoola, The Quest of Ki--are rad as hell.
Right? Just when I thought I'd heard of all of them, I learn about another. Space Hunter springs to mind, as well as Adventure of Valkyrie.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit that Legend of Mana is my favorite Seiken Densetsu game.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM

X-Com 3 doesn't get nearly enough love. The single-city map makes it less of a spread-sheet, the back third or so of the game turning things around so you're invading THEIR homeworld in a series of attacks is great, and the tech tree is both easier to handle without a guide in your lap, but also just really kinda hilarious in how extreme the ends are.

Late game you've got super-specialized weapons that ignore force fields and can't really hurt your friends (which is important because mind control HAPPENS), while the first alien tech you can master is head-crab launchers... which launch headcrabs that are still hostile to humans. And sandwiched in between is a pretty great gun that has absurd damage output, terrible accuracy, and chews up scenery.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 PM
BAG

Double Dragon III for NES is pretty fun. And it's amazing how they managed to get two different heroes and two different villains on the screen at once. Most beat 'em ups on NES had you fighting twins, and if you had a second player he too was a twin.

Dr. Chaos: I love everything about this game. Starting with blood-soaked box art to the flat graphics that make it look creepier, the jumpscares, the music, and the end where you must fight a giant fire-breathing lion.

Sonic Blast Man:
Underrated soundtrack on SNES. Really fun once you know to keep chasing after the guy with low health so you can do the finishing move.

Starfox Assault:
No, the biggest crime in this game is removing Bill and Kat. Starwolf got a ton of great lines in the Corneria city level too.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Bushido Blade is the best game Square put on the PS1 that isn't Einhander.
Fix'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Resident Evil 5 is a brilliant evolution of Resident Evil 4's mechanics, if you set its problematic elements aside.
Resident Evil 5 is so good if you play it co-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Double Dragon III for NES is pretty fun. And it's amazing how they managed to get two different heroes and two different villains on the screen at once. Most beat 'em ups on NES had you fighting twins, and if you had a second player he too was a twin.
I feel like this is another "AVGN made a video, people still don't get that the joke is that someone is this mad at videogames and take everything he says as real criticism" thing, because while I don't love DD3, mostly due to its difficulty, it's definitely not bad, and the character switching mechanic is dope.

Quote:
Sonic Blast Man: Underrated soundtrack on SNES. Really fun once you know to keep chasing after the guy with low health so you can do the finishing move.
SBM is a very solid b-tier brawler.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
i too have a soft spot for kung fu heroes
It's a shame it's only two-player. Guess I'll just have to wait my turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I've always loved the way Link controls in that game, and its punishing nature just makes every victory the sweeter. Admittedly, the game gets too repetitive and difficult in the back half, so I'll often stop playing about 2/3 of the way through rather than slog all the way across the map to get back to a dungeon or something. But the rush of surviving Death Mountain and being rewarded with the downstab in short order is one of my favorite moments in gaming.
The downstab is one of the great combined movement + attack techniques. (The upstab is less useful overall but still has its moments.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
What's that game you dig that people seem to dislike?
Does it still count if the positive things we have to say could sound like either backhanded compliments or damning with faint praise?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

Base Wars for the NES is my favorite baseball video game because they replaced all the boring mundane human athletes with violent cyborgs. Instead of getting tagged out at base your cyborgs do battle and then the victor of the trial by combat is conferred with either an out or the base. And when you hit a home run you get a cinematic where you see your baseball fly off into space and hear a jaunty victory theme punctuated by an enthusiastic "Yeah!" from a digitized voice. It's great!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:12 AM
concentrate

Sonic Adventure is delightful and fun to play in all its modes. Yes, even Big the Cat. Sonic running towards the screen is an awesome, thrilling experience.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance's only fault is the name. It's a perfect handheld TBT game.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I would sincerely like to read your passionate defense of this game. I've never met anyone who likes it and even I have a hard time appreciating it past the expressiveness of the sprites.
I shall endeavor to please... later, when I'm not checking a few things before going to sleep.

Side-note: I had no idea that Bushido Blade would even be suitable for this topic.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Boom

I thought Mighty No. 9 was actually pretty decent, and with only a handful of gameplay tweaks it could be great.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
The world seems to have forgotten about it but Fez is still a masterpiece.
Ha ha, it's one of my son's favorite games so I actually come back to it every few months or so. And you're right, it's just a brilliant game on every level. THAT SOUNDTRACK.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I thought Mighty No. 9 was actually pretty decent, and with only a handful of gameplay tweaks it could be great.
Oh yeah, seconding this one.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Dr. Chaos: I love everything about this game. Starting with blood-soaked box art to the flat graphics that make it look creepier, the jumpscares, the music, and the end where you must fight a giant fire-breathing lion.
Seconding this one. I played it for the first time a few years ago and I loved its vibe. I mapped out the house on a piece of 11x17 graph paper. An underrated metroidvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Base Wars for the NES is my favorite baseball video game because they replaced all the boring mundane human athletes with violent cyborgs. Instead of getting tagged out at base your cyborgs do battle and then the victor of the trial by combat is conferred with either an out or the base. And when you hit a home run you get a cinematic where you see your baseball fly off into space and hear a jaunty victory theme punctuated by an enthusiastic "Yeah!" from a digitized voice. It's great!
I've never played Base Wars, but I do know that one odd thing about it is that it's a rare example of a baseball game on NES that does not also appear on Famicom. And I have no idea why!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I've never played Base Wars, but I do know that one odd thing about it is that it's a rare example of a baseball game on NES that does not also appear on Famicom. And I have no idea why!
Yeah, you'd think that killer robots paired with baseball would be a must-have game for the Japanese market.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Every 3D Metal Gear and Zelda game is essentially good
Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 AM

Castlevania 64 is a fantastic game. Even Mandragora.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

I love cv64. The original is better than the rerelease
Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Stunt Race FX is super fun and varied, with nice car physics and interesting courses

Also a terrible frame rate

Still one of my favourite games though
The cars have eyes for headlights! How could anyone not love it?!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

I think Stunt Race FX is less of a "people hate this" and more of a "people don't know about this". I had incredible fun with it but I haven't played it since release. Looking forward to playing it again if the SNES Online Switch rumors pan out.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Chrono Cross has been brought up already but I don't just think it's good, I actively like it better than Trigger and when I was still a teenager couldn't grasp why almost no one else seemed to.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

The biggest sin of Chrono Cross was that it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2 and a lot of people refused to view the game through any other lens than "Chrono Trigger again" (aka MOAR CHRONO TRIGGER RAWR), which CC clearly was never intended to be.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Kimarhi is not a bad character in FFX and I enjoy using him differently each time I play.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Fifth Business

Alundra 2 doesn't deserve to be horribly obscure, or near-unanimously reviled by those who do know of it, and yet it is both, and that is very sad. The game ain't perfect (especially if you don't set the game to 'easy', as that was actually the original difficulty, with the English 'normal' because a horribly unbalanced rom-hack of a difficulty setting put in by the localizers, who otherwise did such a lovely job), and its attempt at animating PS1-era polygon models with as much expressiveness and body language as they aimed for was (though admirably ambitious) a bit rough on the eyes, BUT...it's a damned impressive action-adventure game with loads of virtues and compelling ideas and clever game design moments, an enormous amount of personality and panache, and a big heartfelt dedication to jamming whimsy and imagination into every piece possible, from the most minor and missable random NPC interaction to its huge setpiece moments and extravagant gags. It shares the warmth and charm of the Mega Man Legends series, and it's a bummer that it was resented and dismissed instead of fondly remembered for that fact, just because it was regrettably labeled the sequel to a famously dark and dour game that it had absolutely nothing in common with. The backlash from the Alundra fans, whether they actually tried A2 or not, became the accepted wisdom, and A2 has never received the critical reappraisal and modern rediscovery it deserves. Lacking even a cult following, it has a cult loathing.

But make no mistake.

Alundra 2 was made with love.

And no amount of misguided hate will ever diminish the gentle and eternal love still glowing within its generous heart.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
The biggest sin of Chrono Cross was that it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2 and a lot of people refused to view the game through any other lens than "Chrono Trigger again" (aka MOAR CHRONO TRIGGER RAWR), which CC clearly was never intended to be.
It would be nice to have more Chrono Trigger, though
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM

The lesser Kingdom Hearts games are more interestingly and creatively designed than most action RPGs and the better ones are among the most clever balances of Action and RPG on the market that manage to be completely fresh games on different difficulty levels. Yes these games review well, and yet given the kinds of scorn they get I still consider this a somewhat unpopular opinion.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Suikoden III is pretty much my favorite entry in the franchise nowadays. I only wish it had more interesting-looking environments/graphics. Maybe a little better music.

A more general opinion: I think gachapon games are mostly fine and are essentially just MMORPGs for when you don't want to sit down at a PC or console. I hold out hope someone will one day release a pay-for-subscription model of gachapon that gets rid of lootbox-style monetization.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM

I've only played Alundra 2 when it was originally released. I've had a good time with it! Since the internet convinced me that it was a bad game, i never came back to it.

I wish there was more games like it anyway, and by that i mean 'games like A Link to the Past' (with the same perspective and emphasis on dungeons), but with the nice things 3D environments allow. I think Ys: The Oath In Felghana scratches a little of the same itch.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I hold out hope someone will one day release a pay-for-subscription model of gachapon that gets rid of lootbox-style monetization.
Some MMORPGs have both pay-for-subscription models and lootbox-style monetization so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Suikoden III is pretty much my favorite entry in the franchise nowadays. I only wish it had more interesting-looking environments/graphics. Maybe a little better music.

A more general opinion: I think gachapon games are mostly fine and are essentially just MMORPGs for when you don't want to sit down at a PC or console. I hold out hope someone will one day release a pay-for-subscription model of gachapon that gets rid of lootbox-style monetization.
My biggest gripe on Suikoden 3 is those moth enemies' attack animation. LASTS FOREVERRRRR

GEDDOE!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Some MMORPGs have both pay-for-subscription models and lootbox-style monetization so I wouldn't count on it.
Maybe it'll happen once loot boxes are hopefully made illegal.

Tags
all games are good , good vibrations , yes even that one