The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
The SD2SNES has really turned out to be a great buy with all of the updates. The Super SD System 3 for the PCE has also been pretty great, if not quite expensive. I'm really happy with the state we're in now as far as being able to use original hardware but without the finnicky bits goes.
I've really been thinking about the SD2SNES, but they're so expensive, and the Super Everdrive by and large gets me by. The SSDS3 would require me to buy a new PCE since it doesn't work with the model I have, so that's out for me, though I am bummed the Turbo ED doesn't have a way to play disc images, but I still have my eye out for that HuDebug thing, if it ever becomes available.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Slammaster

Stone Age Gamer's shipping was bonkers fast. Filling up my Everdrive GB 3x right now! I'm very stoked to check out such rarities as Avenging Spirit, Trip World, Castlevania Legends and... *checks notes* Fish Dude.

EDIT: Did you folks know that some people pay ridiculous premiums for EU copies of sealed games because they have a tearstrip with the word "Nintendo" on them? This was news to me.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Medal Princess

The SD2SNES now has SDD-1 support, so it now supports the unhacked version of Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

http://retrorgb.com/sd2snes-gets-s-d...p-support.htlm
Old 11-27-2018, 11:31 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Wow. The only chip left in reach would be the SPC7110 for Far East of Eden Zero. The unattainable ones were used in a couple of shogi games. The SD2SNES has been the gift that keeps on giving!

EDIT: Apparently the update has been pulled for now. It's close but not quite ready, according to magno.

Last edited by Sarge; 11-27-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Slammaster

Stone Age Gamer is stocking the PSIO now.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Hey, ShakeWell, how's that EverDrive GB X3 working for you? I'm trying to figure out exactly where that reset button is, as I can't seem to turn up good reviews for it. Would it work all that well in the Game Boy Player, or would it be better to jump up to the X5 in that use case?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Slammaster

I dig it! The reset button is the bump/ridge where it usually says "Game Boy" but I think just says "Game" on the ED. And I didn't have any issues with the Game Boy Player when I used it there.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Oh, great. I think I actually prefer that method to having a battery in there that will need replacing. I'm desperately trying to think of something I want for Christmas, and this might get the parents off my back.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 PM

And I've got my GB X3 in. I like it so far! It also tells me I need to get a GBA SP if I can; I think I'd enjoy it more with a nice backlight in portable mode.

It works fine on the Game Boy Player, although the location of the switch impacts how you have to have the system set up. In other words, scooted out on whatever shelf you're using so you can hit the button underneath. It's not a huge deal, though, considering most Game Boy games didn't have battery backup. In that case, you can just use the system reset button. I'm currently using GBI, but I need to update it eventually. I am able to use the low latency version, which I think has been renamed to a "speedrunner" version.

I've thought about buying one of those GB Boy Colour systems, as they're cheap, but I also suspect the aspect ratio and small sound inaccuracies would drive me bonkers.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Slammaster

Ikari is doing a new version of the SD2SNES which has prompted Krikzz to lower the price of Ikari's original model by $30 in his store. I'm honestly still not totally sold on the SD2SNES myself, as it feels like a lot to pay for CD audio stuff that I don't honestly like very much (I'm a stickler for original experiences, by and large) and a handful of special chip games. Maybe someday, but I have other toys on my list before I get to throwing down for an SD2SNES, even with the price going down on the OG model. My Super Everdrive is fine for now.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM

As long as you're cool with what you've got, no sense upgrading. I've had the SD2SNES for years, and it has been splendid for me. The instantaneous loading by itself was enough for my needs. That being said, mine was partially subsidized as a Christmas present, so I was willing to splurge.

I don't mess with the MSU-1 stuff, either, so I get you on that.

While people are speculating what can be done with the new revision, I don't know that it will get that much better than the current model. The SA1 implementation is really tight, using up almost all the logic, but it works. Sure, the new one might be able to get a little more accurate, but I suspect it will be a while before we see any major upgrades. The new model mainly moves to new parts because the old ones are hard to source now.

And I still don't get the clamoring for Super Game Boy implementation. To me, the SGB and EDGB X3 is more than enough.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Spear of Justice

I have to admit my knee-jerk reaction to the SD2SNES Pro announcement was mostly annoyance. The O.G. SD2SNES was always positioned as this ultimate SNES flash cart that could unlock new functionality with future firmware updates, and for me, that promise justified its premium price tag. Then this "Pro" version is suddenly in development, and I felt a bit cheated because now my own SD2SNES will no longer be the final word on SNES flash carts.

After actually sitting down and going over the details, it seems less like a cash grab and more like a minor hardware revision that might possibly support the remaining handful of SNES/SuFami titles that the original SD2SNES still doesn't handle, assuming ikari and krikzz can take proper advantage of the new hardware spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
And I still don't get the clamoring for Super Game Boy implementation. To me, the SGB and EDGB X3 is more than enough.
This just seems like yet another value-add to the SD2SNES's already robust feature set, but it would still be pretty cool to see this happen!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Back to the Bear

I wasn't really thinking about getting a GD-EMU, but now I'm not sure I have a choice. I tried to adjust the potentiometer on my Dreamcast's disc drive to fix its disc read errors, but because it was glued in place (what is this impenetrable crap, Gorilla Glue? GODZILLA Glue?!), I only succeeded in twisting it off entirely. I don't WANT to pay eighty dollars to get a GD-EMU, but really, it's either that or get another used Dreamcast and risk dealing with the same issues.

Someone I talk to occasionally made a good point. It's not JUST that loading games from an SD card is faster and takes up less space. It's also that optical drives aren't built to last, and that many of the systems that use them are ten, twenty, even twenty-five years old. If I want them to last another twenty-five, switching to solid state may be my only choice. It's what I've done with my classic Xbox, my Wii, and my PSP... the Dreamcast may as well get onboard.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Slammaster

I'm constantly teetering on the edge of giving a full tune-up to my Dreamcast, and I think once the RetroGamingCables.co.uk ultimate DC SCART is out, I will. Grab one of those new power supplies and a GDEMU and get some WORK out of my DC!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
O tempora! O morays!

The laser on the Dreamcast seems to be one more prone to failure than most other disc-based games. I've been led to understand the cause of this issue is that the laser tends to vary voltage to read discs that it otherwise would have trouble with (which is why you can use CD-RWs in the Dreamcast) and in the process the extra voltage can wear it out (which is why you shouldn't use CD-RWs). (Earlier consoles like the Sega CD don't have this issue, instead just failing to read discs if they weren't good enough.)

EDIT: If there's a reason I want a GDEMU it's so that I don't have to set up the portable saw every time I want to play a DC game. Halfway through Sonic Adventure I was considering investing in eye protection...

Last edited by muteKi; 02-11-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Spear of Justice

And if you needed yet another reason to go with GDEMU: the physical media layer inside many Dreamcast GD-ROM discs are slowly disintegrating because they were cheaply manufactured. If you hold up a faulty official DC disc to a lamp, you can sometimes see little pinholes of light shining through where the media layer has disintegrated.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Slammaster

I tried to stream RE3 on DC last October and had to hot swap to my PS1 live on stream (always entertaining television to look at an empty chair while some dork mutters about hook-ups off-camera) because my disc is borked. Wonder how many of my other DC games are coasters now?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Spear of Justice

I got a copy of Shenmue on eBay in 2016 with a bum first disc, so that went straight back to the seller with an explanation of why he probably shouldn't try to resell it again. Fortunately my copy of Jet Grind Radio is still spinnin' strong, knock on wood. JGR and ChuChu Rocket! are my only legit DC games, and I'm sure as hell not going to be investing any more money in the GD-ROM format.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Back to the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
The laser on the Dreamcast seems to be one more prone to failure than most other disc-based games. I've been led to understand the cause of this issue is that the laser tends to vary voltage to read discs that it otherwise would have trouble with (which is why you can use CD-RWs in the Dreamcast) and in the process the extra voltage can wear it out (which is why you shouldn't use CD-RWs).
Wait, did I read that right? CD-RWs work in a Dreamcast? I knew CD-Rs did, but rewriteables too? I just would have assumed it would have rejected them outright.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

...I should probably sell my Saturn games while they still work/are worth anything.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM

I've been told that sometimes those pinpricks are straight from the factory. I've got a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 disc that has a few spots like that, but apparently it's still fine.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Wait, did I read that right? CD-RWs work in a Dreamcast? I knew CD-Rs did, but rewriteables too? I just would have assumed it would have rejected them outright.
Huh, I might be mistaken on further looks. I thought it definitely was possible but either way I wouldn't recommend it due to them usually requiring more power from the laser to read. Of course, I never tried because I didn't want to ruin the disc if I could help it.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Yeah, CD-RW discs have a ridiculously low reflectance, so I wouldn't even use them if they worked, personally.

My Dreamcast has started to show issues, in that there are a few brands of CD-R it won't read anymore. It does okay with a better-quality disc, or even some garden variety, not pure junk ones like the Memorex ones I had.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Slammaster

Smokemonster runs down why you don't need to upgrade from SD2SNES Pro from vanilla SD2SNES yet.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 AM
Back to the Bear

My GDEMU has been in America since the 19th but evidently is still stuck in customs. Profound sadness. =( They said it could take up to mid-March to arrive... guess I'll just have to see how this pans out for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I don't plan on upgrading mine, personally. I've got an older revision that has the volume issues on MSU-1, but I barely use that, anyway. When I do, the volume boost will be enough.

As for the other features... they're not there yet. Maybe they will be in the future. It took a long time for Super FX, SA1, and S-DD1 to materialize, and that was from other coders. As it is, the SD2SNES base cart is still the best flash cart I've ever owned, so the Lamborghini analogy fits.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
My GDEMU has been in America since the 19th but evidently is still stuck in customs. Profound sadness. =( They said it could take up to mid-March to arrive... guess I'll just have to see how this pans out for me.
Did you get one of the clones from eBay?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Back to the Bear

Yeah, and it just arrived today, so disregard my previous complaint. (If it doesn't work, then I'll start complaining again. I'm waiting on a tray that should arrive by the end of the week, so I won't be installing it until then.)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Slammaster

Let us know how it works out once you've got it installed!

Tags
hardware , retro games