The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Slammaster

Default Everdrivin' Down the Retrogaming Highway: The Flash Cart Thread

Do you have an Everdrive? Do you have many? Or a similar device? Do you have questions about them? Post stuff about them here!

I have a question myself, in fact. Anyone got thoughts on the Dreamcast solutions? Looking at GDEMU (a real one, not a clone) or a USB GDROM and unsure what's best...
Old 07-24-2018, 01:27 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I don't have an answer for your Dreamcast question, but I do own three (3) Everdrives, and here are my thoughts on them.

Mega Everdrive (Sega Genesis): Supports pretty much everything on the console, in every region, although there is an issue with PAL games operating at a different frequency on an NTSC console. However this may have been solved in later versions, I've had mine for a few years. Also, it can play any Sega Master System game, so it's basically two consoles in one. Good stuff.

Turbo Everdrive (TurboGragx/PCE): Supports pretty much every HU Card-based game on the system. Since PCE games are pretty expensive, and TG16 games are even more expensive, you get really good bang for your buck with this one. Of course it doesn't play CD games. Mine came as a bare PCB and I had to buy an outer shell separately (I picked one from Shapeways because it was way cheaper than the ones Stone Age Gamer was offering).

Super Everdrive (SNES/SFC): This is the only Everdrive that I'd urge caution with, because the compatibility list has some pretty major exceptions. Anything with super-special chips in it like Star Fox or Mega Man X2 won't work. Some other things like Mario Kart don't work. I knew this ahead of time, so it was fine, but that might be a sticking point for some.

Finally, I don't have the NES version of the Everdrive, but I've heard that one cannot run ROMs of late-era games with special chips, such as desirable games like Gimmick/Euforia and others.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:44 PM

So there has been quite a bit of movement on the EverDrive N8 front as far as mapper support. You can play Gimmick! quite well, with the expanded audio support (so long as your system supports it). There was also a recent beta firmware released that still needs work, but supports all of the MMC5 games, including the extra audio support (Just Breed works beautifully). Heck, you can even run Lagrange Point on there, thanks to Necronomfive's work! Once the kinks are worked out, it will easily be the best solution for the NES.

I own three other flash carts:

Mega EverDrive V2 (now X7) - Plays almost everything perfectly, except for some spotty saving in some EEPROM games that still seem to be a bit goofy. Also supports SMS, and if you've got a 32X, you can run those, too. On the X7, there's an FM synthesis core available for SMS games as well. Definitely the Cadillac of the Genesis lineup.

SD2SNES - My first flash cart, and quickly becoming the absolute best if it wasn't already. Recently, redguy has added Super FX support, and while not perfectly accurate, it's close enough to not matter much. (It's actually a bit more accurate than SNES9x or the SNES Classic.) On top of that, he's also working on SA1 support. Apparently Super Mario RPG already works nearly perfectly, some other games are still a bit buggy, but he's making progress! No beta release yet, but progress has apparently been significant. On top of that, apparently a guy named magno has been working on S-DD1 implementation, which would knock out another expansion chip. I think the only big one left from there would be the one used in Far East of Eden Zero (SPC7110).

Turbo EverDrive - Perhaps the least exciting of the bunch. It does exactly what you'd expect, with nearly no frills. I think it's one of the oldest of the ED lineup, and hasn't been updated in some time. I think mine is a 2.5 revision. I'd love to see some support for backing up the system's save RAM at some point.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
SD2SNES - My first flash cart, and quickly becoming the absolute best if it wasn't already. Recently, redguy has added Super FX support, and while not perfectly accurate, it's close enough to not matter much. (It's actually a bit more accurate than SNES9x or the SNES Classic.) On top of that, he's also working on SA1 support. Apparently Super Mario RPG already works nearly perfectly, some other games are still a bit buggy, but he's making progress! No beta release yet, but progress has apparently been significant. On top of that, apparently a guy named magno has been working on S-DD1 implementation, which would knock out another expansion chip. I think the only big one left from there would be the one used in Far East of Eden Zero (SPC7110).
There's still the C....4? that the later MMX games use for their wireframe stuff in terms of the big name stuff. Everything's been reverse-engineered for over a decade at this point, so it's mostly a coding/implementation puzzle at this point.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 PM

CX4 and DSP have been supported for quite some time on there, actually! That was definitely one of the factors in my purchase. Timing can be slightly off, though, which will cause the demo sequence of MMX2 (?) to not go like it does on a real cart.

I think the only two chips out of reach according to ikari are the ST011 and ST018 chips, which were used in a couple of Shogi games. SA1 was thought to possibly be out of reach, but it does look like we'll actually get some form of that.

Last edited by Sarge; 07-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I figured SD2SNES would support the SuperFX eventually (but I still have a copy of Star Fox) but the whole reason I got Mario RPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 on WiiU VC is because I expected to absolutely never play them on a SNES
Old 07-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Seeing the existence of a PSX everdrive makes me regret not keeping my OG PSX.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I figured SD2SNES would support the SuperFX eventually (but I still have a copy of Star Fox) but the whole reason I got Mario RPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 on WiiU VC is because I expected to absolutely never play them on a SNES
Yeah, that's also why I bit the bullet and bought a cart for like $50 of KDL3. It was the major SA1 game I didn't own. (TRU was nice to me years ago, managed to snag for $15.) Still, I'm really excited that this might all work, not the least of which would be to play Marvelous! on the real hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Seeing the existence of a PSX everdrive makes me regret not keeping my OG PSX.
I'd love to fiddle with the PSIO. Unfortunately, both of my PSX models don't have the parallel I/O port. Are there any other ODEs in the works out there for the system?

Speaking of ODEs, I'd love to snag a Rhea/Phoebe, but those things tend to be hard to get. Thankfully, my lasers are soldiering on still in both Saturns, although my original Dreamcast is getting a bit dicey; I tried it on some older burned discs I have and it won't read them anymore. It's directly tied to the brand, too, so there's some optical characteristic it just doesn't like anymore from the laser wearing out. GDEMU would be a solution for sure, I just wish the guy would hook up with someone that has some real manufacturing capability. He's losing a lot of business to clones not being able to meet demand.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Slammaster

So, yeah, echoing Sarge, the N8 (NES/Famicom ED) does fine with everything I've thrown at it using Krikzz's current beta firmware. It does Nintendo World Championships, even. It also supports save states for a lot of games (but not all, depends on mappers). I have the Famicom version and use it on an A/V Famicom and it also does well for me with FDS games, though I guess the NES version does weird things with audio (understandably).

The Rhea and Phobe look dope, but honestly, I'm waiting on Prof. Abrasive's Satiator, since it just drops into the video expansion slot in the back of the system.

And, yeah, I didn't mention the EDs I have, so...

Everdrive N8 (Famicom version) - See above.

Super Everdrive - It does fine on its own, and when I got it, the SD2SNES didn't do SuperFX stuff. Now, I probably would just save for one of those.

Turbo Everdrive - Given the cost of HuCards these days, this thing is really a must if you have a PC Engine or TG16. Or SuperGrafx, it works on that, too! For all five games!

Mega Everdrive X5 - If I had it to do over again, I might get the X7, but the X5 does me fine, honestly. And, as previously mentioned, it does 32x and Master System, so totally worth it. Especially if you have a 32x, because who wants to pay like $200 for a baseball game or a bad Spider-Man game?

Also, have to mention, if you have any of these things, Smokemonster's ROM sorting packs are a must. Keeps everything in order and easy to find, rather than sift through hundreds of ROM files.

The Terra Onion Neo-Geo cart has me seriously thinking about saving my pennies (for like a year) to get one along with a consolized MVS. Similarly, Darksoft's CPS2 Multi Kit has me considering a Supergun. What is wrong with me?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I've been eyeballing superguns as well, along with a Neo Geo board.

I almost forgot about the Prof. Abrasive project! I just looked it up, and it's looking swell. I think I'll be waiting for that particular project to finish.

I also saw something a while back called HuDebug which was capable of running Turbo CD/Duo games from the HuCard slot. Not sure how far along that is, but to say I'm intrigued is an understatement. Honestly, the Duo doesn't do much more than add the CD and some extra RAM. It's not like the Sega CD where you get extra processors along for the ride. I also looked at the pinouts, and I think pretty much everything you'd need is there in the HuCard slot except for perhaps stereo audio? Anyway, lots of exciting stuff going on in retro gaming.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 AM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Anyone here used the new EZ-Flash Omega? The GBA is becoming more of a collector's market and I'm thinking of just getting a flash cart rather than trying to find everything I want for it.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
I almost forgot about the Prof. Abrasive project! I just looked it up, and it's looking swell. I think I'll be waiting for that particular project to finish.

I also saw something a while back called HuDebug which was capable of running Turbo CD/Duo games from the HuCard slot.
Yeah, I support Prof. Abrasive on Patreon, so I'm hoping that means I get first chance at the final units. And if the HuDebug works for CD games, I'll grab that in a hot minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Anyone here used the new EZ-Flash Omega? The GBA is becoming more of a collector's market and I'm thinking of just getting a flash cart rather than trying to find everything I want for it.
Reviews seem to indicate it's pretty well on par with the GBA Everdrive, but I have no direct experience with it.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:49 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Yeah. It basically seems about as close to feature-complete for GBA games as you can get, and is cheaper than the Everdrive equivalent. Since I won't need to worry about RTC for gaming (this is what I have the Gen III remakes for!) I think I'll stick with my EZ Flash 3-in-1 for playing GBA games

I am curious, though -- it sounds like there's a way to get expansion chip audio on NES with the Everdrive N8; is this a thing? Has anyone done it? If so, how involved of a procedure was it?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I am curious, though -- it sounds like there's a way to get expansion chip audio on NES with the Everdrive N8; is this a thing? Has anyone done it? If so, how involved of a procedure was it?
Depends on how you want to go about it. If you're not handy with a soldering iron, there's the ENIO EXP Board which plugs into the expansion port of a front-loading NES. That will enable expansion audio, although I don't know how well it mixes with the N8, which isn't perfectly accurate with volume levels.

I went with the 47K resistor mod, which puts a resistor between the two expansion pins directly on the board. 47K was the common value at the time used for the EDN8. In hindsight, it might have been better to go with a 100K potentiometer, so I could dial in the sound levels as appropriate.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/op...ls-in-nes.html
Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
I also saw something a while back called HuDebug which was capable of running Turbo CD/Duo games from the HuCard slot. Not sure how far along that is, but to say I'm intrigued is an understatement. Honestly, the Duo doesn't do much more than add the CD and some extra RAM. It's not like the Sega CD where you get extra processors along for the ride. I also looked at the pinouts, and I think pretty much everything you'd need is there in the HuCard slot except for perhaps stereo audio?
Wait really??? So basically the everdrive would have the CD ISO on it and it would fool the PCE into loading it onto the HuCard?
Old 07-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Spear of Justice

I've got six (!) of these things.
  • EverDrive N8 Famicom: This thing is a dynamo when paired with an RGB-modded AV Famicom. Getting access to stuff like Gimmick! and DuckTales 2 (in English) on real hardware is almost certainly worth the price of admission.
  • SD2SNES: Definitely the most feature-rich EverDrive available. Recent firmware updates even add support for Super FX games, so I'm hopeful the elusive SA-1 chip will eventually be supported as well.
  • Mega EverDrive X7: The EverDrive model I've spent the least amount of time with. I swear I'll catch up on my Genesis backlog someday.
  • EverDrive-64 v3: After recently RGB-modding my N64, this EverDrive model becomes even more useful with its "software deblur" feature and near-100% software compatibility. Seriously, I never thought N64 games could look this good.
  • EverDrive GB v1.3: Picked this one up in one of Krikzz's clearance sales. It's certainly a no-frills version of the GB ED, but it gets the job done.
  • EverDrive GBA X5: Playing the English translation patch for Mother 3 on a real GBA. 'Nuff said.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Wait really??? So basically the everdrive would have the CD ISO on it and it would fool the PCE into loading it onto the HuCard?
Yeah, dude has a video of Dracula X playing on a TurboExpress. It looks dope.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM

https://www.facebook.com/RgR.Development/
Old 07-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Slammaster

Mmmmmmmmmmm... yeah, that's the good stuff, right there. I'll grab one of those ASAFP.

EDITED TO ADD: So, hey, I'm thinking about this N64 ED and what games use the Real Time Clock besides Animal Crossing? I hate Animal Crossing, so it's 1000% not worth an extra $70 to be able to play that, but I don't want to regret not having it if some other game I do like uses it.

Last edited by ShakeWell; 07-28-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmm... yeah, that's the good stuff, right there. I'll grab one of those ASAFP.

EDITED TO ADD: So, hey, I'm thinking about this N64 ED and what games use the Real Time Clock besides Animal Crossing? I hate Animal Crossing, so it's 1000% not worth an extra $70 to be able to play that, but I don't want to regret not having it if some other game I do like uses it.
Pretty sure it's only Animal Crossing/Forest, though apparently the RTC version also does not require you to reset the system when saving normally in a game which the older version of the N64 Everdrive apparently does. That could make games like Mario 64 and the Zelda games, which save pretty often, pretty annoying to play if true.

I'm just going by what I gleaned from some other discussions though - someone who has one or both could probably give the whole story.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 PM

SA1 for SD2SNES public beta has dropped. Going to give it a shot this evening.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8045.0

As mentioned, it hasn't been thoroughly tested, so crashes, bugs, and other maladies may still be present.

Last edited by Sarge; 08-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Slammaster

I should have posted earlier, but Krikzz and StoneAgeGamer are both having 20% off sales this weekend, if you're looking to grab any EDs (I got a Game Boy one I'd had my eye on).
Old 11-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Which Game Boy one did you go for? I'm a little tempted to just get the base X3. While it would be annoying to not have auto-saving, it'd be quite cheap, especially since I've got $15 store credit at SAG.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:53 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

In the past it's been hard to find reputable sellers for these. Is that still the case?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 PM

I've only ordered straight from KRIKzz or StoneAgeGamer. I wouldn't take a chance on an unofficial seller because there are clones all about.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Which Game Boy one did you go for? I'm a little tempted to just get the base X3. While it would be annoying to not have auto-saving, it'd be quite cheap, especially since I've got $15 store credit at SAG.
I got the X3 because I don't care about Pokemon and $50 for save states is a bit too much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
In the past it's been hard to find reputable sellers for these. Is that still the case?
Most people, including myself, would say only order from Krikzz or StoneAgeGamer. Those are the genuine article, and I've heard that the clones are not reliable.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 PM

Ugh, SAG already ended their sale. I was about to order, too! Oh well, didn't need it that badly, anyway. I feel like I really need a backlit handheld to really take advantage of it, anyway.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Medal Princess

Earlier this year, I spent the time (and money) to replace as many parts of my old gaming hardware that were prone to failure. Stuff like the FDSStick to bypass having to replace the drive belt on my FDS for the nth time, Mega FlashROM SCC+ for MSX for a similar reason, as well as getting Everdrives or equivalent flash carts for all of my consoles that have them. The SD2SNES has really turned out to be a great buy with all of the updates. The Super SD System 3 for the PCE has also been pretty great, if not quite expensive. I'm really happy with the state we're in now as far as being able to use original hardware but without the finnicky bits goes.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

I asked for the GBA one of these for Christmas. It looks cool!

Tags
hardware , retro games