The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-16-2018, 12:12 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
-- Music is just -- there
Nah. It's perfectly subdued and ambient, a less-is-more approach I always appreciate. I wasn't a big fan of the art style and it was the music (and sound effects) that brought me around, truth be told.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Nonplussed

I love everything about this game, aside from the length. I finished the not true final battle and had to take a break, because it had taken over my life for a few weeks and I needed a change of pace. I do intend to go back and do the remaining bits especially after talking to Alixsar and MCBanjoMike about those bits.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I stopped playing this when someone told me it was 20 hours. That seems ridiculous. Game's great though.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I stopped playing this when someone told me it was 20 hours. That seems ridiculous. Game's great though.
Good news then! Itís 40.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

It's probably 20 if you just want to beat it and don't care about getting everything. Part of what made me stop at first was how daunting it was; it's a very long game for it's type. But it's really rewarding and chock full of cool stuff. Hell, it just FEELS good to play. It's great.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The game just crashed after I spent a good chunk of time trying to find my way out of an area I hadnít mapped yet. So that sucked.

Iím also not a fan of the dreamcatcher fetch quest. The game is great - particularly the bosses - but I am sick and tired of wandering around places Iíve already been. Might take a break from the game for a bit and play Splatoon or something.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

I just had a most Metroidvania experience -- I missed a critical power-up (the Crystal Heart) and I was able to continue for about five hours before the game roadblocked me, which was both delightful and infuriating. I was wondering why the old guy in the village kept jabbering about Crystal Peak even though it was several areas ago. He showed me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Nah. It's perfectly subdued and ambient, a less-is-more approach I always appreciate. I wasn't a big fan of the art style and it was the music (and sound effects) that brought me around, truth be told.
I'd rather have something like Axiom Verge -- now that's a soundtrack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilex View Post
Oh no.

Singing miner bug doesn't seem to be feeling great
He's gone hollow
Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 AM

Sprite: the easiest and best source of essence for the Dream Nail are dream bosses. Some of the bosses you have already fought (basically any that leave a corpse behind, like the first boss or the boss in the Ancient Basin) have a harder dream mode. There are also new bosses available at various gravestones that didn't seem to be for anything before. You don't need to fight them all to gather enough essence, and you don't need to do any of it to finish the game.

Quote:
I'd rather have something like Axiom Verge -- now that's a soundtrack!
Funny you should bring up Axiom Verge: did anyone else play that game with a proper surround sound system with a subwoofer? On mine, the bass was way way way too loud and it was genuinely unpleasant to play; I had to mute it.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:20 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Ah! Thanks for the tip, Merus. For some reason I was under the impression that I needed to get all the Essence before fighting the Dreamers. Good to know itís a side quest.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Not true! In my speedrun(ish) of the game, I didn't fight them at all.

Octo, if you want a general hint of what to do, your best option right now is the mines in the top right of the map.
While helpful advice, the real answer was that I hadnít finished exploring the City of Tears.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Finished! Or, at least, got the first ending. 18:30.

There's lots of little things here and there that annoy me. I really dislike the mapping system, as I said before, though the pins you can buy mitigate that quite a bit. The world feels a little too big and sprawling, with fast travel points too far apart. Giving you the Dream Gate sooner would fix that problem.

But yeah, it's a great game. It definitely takes a page from Super Metroid's book by squeezing a lot of storytelling just out of the environments and animations. The Hollow Knight fight is heartbreaking. And all the bosses I've done so far are just great. They're tough, but I never feel overwhelmed, except in a couple cases with out-of-depth optional bosses before upgrading my nail.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Sudden chomper

I personally love the mapping system, it's one of my favorite parts of the game. But I do agree that the map is too big and there aren't enough good ways to get around quickly. A mid-to-late-game ability to travel between benches instantly would probably have been a good addition.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 AM

I donít like that I just lost all my money because I died and then died again.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I donít like that I just lost all my money because I died and then died again.
As soon as I found the Bank, I've been religiously dropping off money whenever I get around 200 Geo or so.

Speaking of dying, what penalty beyond dropping your souls, errr... I mean 'Geo' does death incur? The soul gauge gets a different look, but I can't tell if it drops in capacity or something? Thankfully I've always managed to retrieve my dropped Geo before dying again, so I have yet to lose out on a bunch.

Last edited by Kairu; 06-18-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
Speaking of dying, what penalty beyond dropping your souls, errr... I mean 'Geo' does death incur? The soul gauge gets a different look, but I can't tell if it drops in capacity or something? Thankfully I've always managed to retrieve my dropped before dying again, so I have yet to lose out on a bunch of Geo form it.
Yeah, seems to be capacity; you go down to 2/3. But if you die again, you can go to your latest shade, beat it, and get the full capacity back. You don't need to destroy the "original" shade; it's gone along with its Geo. In this way, dropping Geo from death is similar to dying and not making your way back to your bloodstain in Dark Souls.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
As soon as I found the Bank, I've been religiously dropping off money whenever I get around 200 Geo or so.
You might want to read the following spoiler:

Careful about how much you deposit. If you go over the limit, she runs away with your cash and you have to track her down to get it back.

Safest way to keep from losing cash is to spend it as soon as possible. Thereís also vendor trash you pick up here and there, and those donít go away when you die, so itís a good idea to wait until you need to make a big purchase before you sell them.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:49 PM
hourglass figure

Spoiler for a particularly creepy enemy reveal:

*uses the dreamnail on a captive grub*

"...empty...". Huh, that's different. The previous one I used it on said "home". I guess they have more than one line! This one's kinda creepy, though. Anyway, enough dilly-dallying, let's free this poor guy-

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I am very, very glad that one of the bosses unlocks Grub pins on the map. Finding the optional collectibles is always my bane in these games.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Been mostly enjoying my time with this game. Managed to wander into Crystal Peak without the lantern, which made the fact there was no immediate way back out of the area stressful for a while until I got the Heart upgrade which allowed me to leave.

I've got a few quibbles with the game. Now that I have the wall jump, I sometimes have trouble telling apart walls I can climb on versus ones I can't, or even more frustrating walls that are actually just in the background. This also applies to environmental hazards, where it is sometimes hard to tell where they start and end, what counts as a spike that will damage versus one which will actually reset your position. Having your position reset is sometimes beneficial if you would have otherwise been stuck, but I sometimes find it disorienting and makes some traversal puzzles really frustrating.

My biggest pet peeve though is the inconsistent (as far as I can tell) way the game determines which side of a hole you appear on when you transition between screens through a gap in the top of an area. I can't count the number of times where I assume I'll end up on one side and hold the stick in that direction to start walking only for me to have appeared on the opposite which means I end up walking back into the hole and must wait while the game loads back into the previous screen. Loading is fairly quick, so it's just a bit of wasted time, but it adds up and really annoys me, especially when I'm in the middle of trying to clear a boss and must retread the same areas to retrieve my Shade and attempt the boss again. If anyone has gleaned what determines which side you end up on, please let me know so I can avoid this frustration.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Quote:
My biggest pet peeve though is the inconsistent (as far as I can tell) way the game determines which side of a hole you appear on when you transition between screens through a gap in the top of an area. I can't count the number of times where I assume I'll end up on one side and hold the stick in that direction to start walking only for me to have appeared on the opposite which means I end up walking back into the hole and must wait while the game loads back into the previous screen. Loading is fairly quick, so it's just a bit of wasted time, but it adds up and really annoys me, especially when I'm in the middle of trying to clear a boss and must retread the same areas to retrieve my Shade and attempt the boss again. If anyone has gleaned what determines which side you end up on, please let me know so I can avoid this frustration.
As far as I can tell, it's based on where you leap up. If you leap up on the left side, you'll pop out going left, vice versa for right. The direction you press while transitioning doesn't matter. I'm not sure what happens if you jump perfectly in the middle.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
As far as I can tell, it's based on where you leap up. If you leap up on the left side, you'll pop out going left, vice versa for right. The direction you press while transitioning doesn't matter. I'm not sure what happens if you jump perfectly in the middle.
That would be my guess too, and maybe I just need to watch closer. I did notice it happening a lot more since I got the wall jump, as I'd be moving up the right side of an opening using it and would come out on the left side instead of the right, as I would expect if wall jumping up the right side of an opening. Maybe the game decides I'm jumping up and to the left because of how the wall jump works? I mean in most cases I don't even need to be wall jumping through these gaps, but do it out of habit.

Do I really need to spoiler tag that this game has a wall jump ability? I can see tagging the name of the item associated with it... Ah well, it seemed like someone did so up stream so I just followed the precedent.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Sudden chomper

I was being extra careful about spoilers because so many people just got access to this game for the first time. Over time I think we can gradually start talking more freely, at least about the mechanical stuff.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:40 PM
hourglass figure

I can't believe that you can actually read through all 57 of the 57 precepts of Zote.

This game is amazing.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Hive's Blood makes the Coliseum rather trivial. Also the Coliseum is amazing.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Since I overlooked the Mantis Lord's when I got the claw I went back to challenge them. The fight was fun, though it took me more tries than I care to admit.

I then spent a while wandering Deepnest, only to come across Nosk... That was quite the fight, though I managed to find a workable strategy without resorting to a guide.

Not sure if I want to finish out Deepnest or return to Crystal Peak. Is there a general order between these to areas? I got the Crystal Heat from Crystal Peak, but not much else. In Deepnest I only really fought Nosk.

I do have a new gripe. I wish the 'nail bounce/jump' worked consistently, or at least would bounce you to the same height each them. The variability makes some of the platforming challenges really taxing. One sequence in Deepnest that requieres you to ride a worm was particularly frustrating.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Is there a general order between these to areas?
Without spoiling too much, I can say that you have all the important stuff from the Peaks region, and if you don't think you have a reason to be in Deepnest then it's because you don't yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Running out of steam at around 90% completion. I was not a fan of the sawblades at all, and a three phase boss followed by a five phase boss is a wee bit too much for me to stomach. But I'm impressed the game held my attention this long. Great stuff.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Took me about 23 hours to reach the final boss, which I haven't beat, and now am firmly in the mopping up/FAQ-checking part of the game. Still very good!

Who is everyone's favorite boss? I really love Dung Defender and Hive Knight.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I love fighting Hornet.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

You canít permanently lose the Baldur Shell, can you?

Iíve been a bit shy about using it at all, but there are some boss fights where not being knocked out of focus is extremely helpful.

Tags
a bug's strife , atmospheric platformers , better than metroid 3? , buggin' out , bugtroidvania , hollow knight , metroidvania , team cherry , weird bats