The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Anyway, I think heís a rabbit.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

This is out on Switch now?

It's been on my list of "Play it when I get around to getting a decent PC controller" for a while (along with 20XX and Hyper Light Drifter), but getting it on the switch is likely easier and I'm lazy.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilex View Post
I realized this was probably a thing a while ago, since the colored shell pins I bought in the map store weren't placing themselves in the map automatically like the others did, but I still haven't figured out how to do it.
Press minus, go to the map, then press A.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

You have to have bought them first
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Pronouns: ♂

I wasn't so sure about the art direction but, yeah, this game is good times. Once I figured out that you can pull a Scrooge McDuck and 'pogo' on things, stuff got way more interesting.

I assumed the protagonist is a stag beetle or whatever the equivalent is.

Edit: Caterpillar buddies! DAAAWWWWW
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 PM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I assumed the protagonist is a stag beetle or whatever the equivalent is.
Looks goaty to me.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Yep, it did not take me long to get completely stuck. I only just realized I can mark the map, though, which is great, because itís the one thing I wanted to do! Time to do another loop around these areas looking desperately for something new.
Yeah, marking the map is a recently added feature. I wish it was there when I was playing the game.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:46 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Okay Iíve been wandering this stupid map for three hours now and canít go anywhere. I need a hint.

I have maps to Forgotten Crossroads, Greenpath, and Fungal Wastes. I also have access to some foggy place but canít get the map there because map guy is gated off and why would you even do that, game.

The only upgrades I have are the soul fireball and the dash. What do?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Okay Iíve been wandering this stupid map for three hours now and canít go anywhere. I need a hint.

I have maps to Forgotten Crossroads, Greenpath, and Fungal Wastes. I also have access to some foggy place but canít get the map there because map guy is gated off and why would you even do that, game.

Next upgrade is at the bottom of the fungal wastes in the Mantis Village.

Yeah that gated off map dude is a weird decision. There is a back door of sorts but I still think that was last one I got in the game.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Press minus, go to the map, then press A.
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to try that.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:

You can get in the opposite side of fungal wastes from crossroads, down from the stag station.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
You can get in the opposite side of fungal wastes from crossroads, down from the stag station.
Canít find where you mean. Thereís an elevator but I canít get in. I also canít figure out how to get where jofriction is referring to.

Thanks for the hints, though.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Canít find where you mean. Thereís an elevator but I canít get in. I also canít figure out how to get where jofriction is referring to.

Thanks for the hints, though.
Here's a guide specific to that spot of the game to help avoid spoiling too much: https://holdtoreset.com/hollow-knight-guide/7/
Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Default Apropos of nothing

I got really sick maybe a month ago and took some days off of work. Prior to that, I had bought this game for PC and played a few hours and liked it, but got distracted by other stuff. But during that sick time I went back to it and I basically just sat at my PC for like 3 days and found every single thing in this game. I did everything except complete the Journal entries, fight the DLC Super Boss (I fought him, just haven't beaten him yet), the secret area in the White Palace, and fight the True Final Bossô. I got distracted by other stuff again, BUT!

I can confidently say that this game is INSANELY super duper crazy good. It's a must play if you like Metroidvanias or platformers or both. Or maybe even if you don't! Like, there's no way it's better than BotW in terms of "GotY" status, but it is CLOSE. It's insanely good, highly recommended. The platforming challenge optional super area, The White Palace, was practically a religious experience. I kinda want a whole game like that...which I guess is Super Meat Boy, but I like HK's feel and mechanics a lot more than that. Anyway. Play it!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Canít find where you mean. Thereís an elevator but I canít get in. I also canít figure out how to get where jofriction is referring
Down and to the right a little ways from the elevator. Thereís a small room with a ledge you can air dash to. Will lead right into fungal growths.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

One thing I forgot to mention: this is the first post-Dark Souls game that clearly draws inspiration from it without openly mimicking it. It's the first post-Dark Souls game where comparing it to Dark Souls actually MAKES SENSE. It's not because "it's hard" or because "the combat is difficult and complex". I wouldn't exactly call it "easy", but it's not impossibly difficult.

But no, this game draws from DS in the most important way: atmosphere and story telling. The world of HK is a character in and of itself, and the strange and odd characters you meet throughout all give you bits and pieces of the larger narrative for you to piece together as you explore. It's insanely well done, and the music is very good, and it's overall just VERY VERY GOOD. Please try ittttttt
Old 06-15-2018, 03:32 PM
does the Underpants Dance

For more Dark Souls comparison talk I'm wondering how open it is for routing purposes since that's a huge part of why I love DS1 the most out of them all. I mean, this is a Metroidvania so I'm assuming a base amount of non-linearity, but like, how much?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Dinger!

Also the rewards system draws strongly from Dark Souls.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
For more Dark Souls comparison talk I'm wondering how open it is for routing purposes since that's a huge part of why I love DS1 the most out of them all. I mean, this is a Metroidvania so I'm assuming a base amount of non-linearity, but like, how much?
I would say it's moderately open, but some of the alternate routes require some serious mastery. Pretty much everyone is going to get vengeful spirit, mothwing cloak and mantis nail in that order. After that, I think the super dash is also necessary, and then you have to get either Isme's tear or the double jump to finish the game. There are a few places where you can save time and avoid certain areas by using enemies to pogo over gaps. If you're willing to glitch, there's a spell-casting trick that also lets you stretch out your jumps, can't tell if it's intentional or not. The game is certainly big enough that you could plot a lot of different routes through much of it, but if you're speed running then I think it's fairly well set at this point. If you're feeling more leisurely, or if you want a 100% clear, then I think there's quite a lot of flexibility.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:43 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
A lot of areas' entrances require certain power-ups, but each area has multiple areas and connections and there's a huge degree of freedom in how you explore them. So...it's not quite at DS levels of game-breaking-ness, but it's very open
Old 06-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I figured it out, and am a little annoyed. I had to do a pogo jump off the bouncy flowers, something the game doesn't adequately explain, imo. I assumed I needed a double jump or something when the bouncy flowers didn't act like bouncy things do in every other game (i.e., pressing/holding jump), so I thought it was another gate.

You're still good, Hollow Knight, but tut tut.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Pronouns: ♂

The game didn't explain something adequately? So it really is like Dark Souls!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The auto mapping thing is kind of hard to adapt to, but Iím really enjoying the game. Need a bit of direction though;

Last traversal upgrade I found was the Wall Jump. Just met up with Hornet again in the rainy ruin, who put the Black Egg on my map. Which Iím assuming is gating off the final boss until I find some macguffins.

The only path that seems to be open to me right now leads to the Mantis Lords, which feels like an optional boss, and is a pretty dang tough fight on its own.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:17 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
an optional boss
I believe they are not.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

That shit is REQUIRED, yo

Did you get the first nail upgrade from the blacksmith? Cuz if you can get there, then you can get to him and you should probably do that first
Old 06-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Outraged!

They are required but not right at the moment, I believe. The area they are blocking is fairly tough and I saved it for a fair bit later than you are. I think you have a few new places you can explore instead.

Explore around the city and to the right of the crossroads, I bet you can find at least one place the wall jump will let you access.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
That shit is REQUIRED, yo
Not true! In my speedrun(ish) of the game, I didn't fight them at all.

Octo, if you want a general hint of what to do, your best option right now is the mines in the top right of the map.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:27 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Alright well THAT SHIT IS YOU SHOULD DO IT ANYWAY, yo
Old 06-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Chief Servbot

Impressions so far:

- Obviously, the game is insanely good. The art style splits the difference between spooky and cute perfectly. The bosses so far have been very balanced, keeping you on your toes without getting too hair-pully

- The game spaces out upgrades pretty sparsely compared to a Metroid or Castlevania -- the time to first upgrade was ridiculously long by genre standards, and since health and soul upgrades are rare and there's no loot other than badges, I do miss the sort of dopamine drip from finding like random missile upgrades and whatnot. Also Indievanias need to learn from Metroid and Zelda and INVEST IN A JINGLE

- I am already feeling a bit weary of the games length -- by the time I got to what I assume is the first big plot Maguffin I probably could have fit two complete playthroughs of Zero Mission lol

-- Music is just -- there
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 AM
hourglass figure

Oh no.

Singing miner bug doesn't seem to be feeling great

Tags
a bug's strife , atmospheric platformers , better than metroid 3? , buggin' out , bugtroidvania , hollow knight , metroidvania , team cherry , weird bats