The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 PM

My Framemeister and SCART cable arrived today.

I underestimated the degree of difficulty in configuring this little bad boy. I followed an online tutorial to a point, and so far I'm impressed with the difference in display quality.

For any of you who have Framemeisters, how did you get your settings dialed in? Trial and error?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Spear of Justice

I mostly followed the recommended settings from the Framemeister wiki on Junkerhq.net. Personally I prefer the xRGB's "Sharpness" setting at 1 instead of 0 for 240p sources like the SNES. You should also enable Game Mode on your television if possible, which will reduce lag and allow your new external upscaler to handle all the video processing.

One nice feature is that the Framemeister keeps track of different settings based on the source type, meaning you can switch between 240p and 480i/p video sources without needing to manually reconfigure your upscaler's settings every time.

And here's a review of the Framemeister that includes a diagram of the remote with English notations.

Last edited by Mr. Sensible; 09-12-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Thanks! That Wiki was super helpful. Changing the menu from Japanese to English made things so much easier!

I followed the settings on this page:
http://www.firebrandx.com/snesprofiles.html

and it looks pretty darn nice. I also prefer setting the Sharpness to 1.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawks View Post
My Framemeister and SCART cable arrived today.

I underestimated the degree of difficulty in configuring this little bad boy. I followed an online tutorial to a point, and so far I'm impressed with the difference in display quality.

For any of you who have Framemeisters, how did you get your settings dialed in? Trial and error?
What are you doing to those records, son?

The JunkerHQ FAQ is definitely the best resource for setting that up. I don't envy you the journey you've just begun. I began my own more than two years ago, and it's finally coming to an end. It has involved an investment of many, many thousands of dollars (even with generous people donating materials) and a whole lot of trial-and-error.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Spear of Justice

Welp. I bought a Dreamcast, a Toro box and another SCART cable today because I want to see Shenmue's smeary textures in the GREATEST POSSIBLE DETAIL
Old 09-15-2016, 12:57 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Nowadays, when I play a classic game, I tend to do it on the Wii using one of its many excellent emulators. I don't know how accurate they are, all I know is that playing those games on a TV just feels right. Games look good through Wii with component cables, retro stuff just seems to pop. I don't have a CRT so there aren't any nice scanlines but it's still my favoured way to play the classics.

I have this painstaking Retroarch setup too but I almost never use it, go figure
Old 09-16-2016, 03:45 PM

I bought a Sega Genesis component cable from HD Retrovision. I'm pretty excited about it. I just tested Castlevania: Bloodlines and MUSHA (reproduction cart ) and they look great on my ordinary LED TV. I've played retro games through RCA cables for years and this is a world of difference. The pixels are pretty sharp even going straight into the TV.

Maybe not as good as a Framemeister but a great option for $50.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Help!

I'm looking for a cheap (i.e., not a framemeister) option to convert the 240p signal from the SNES component cables to HDMI.

The goal here is to be able to play on my nice CRT and stream via my elgato at the same time. Unfortunately, the elgato doesn't play nice with 240p, and most converters I'm seeing only go down to 480 or are massively expensive. It might turn out to not be an option at all to do anything other than play/stream off of composite (which seems to work fine), but I really want to use the nicer cables.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Welp. I bought a Dreamcast, a Toro box and another SCART cable today because I want to see Shenmue's smeary textures in the GREATEST POSSIBLE DETAIL
The Toro arrived!

I've got the Toro plugged into my Framemeister, so this is pretty much the best picture I can get out of a Dreamcast without buying an expensive studio CRT and a VGA box. The photos don't really do it justice; this image is SPOOKY-sharp.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 AM
Trinitron Enthusiast

I've been holding on to one of those fancy old Sony Wega TVs for years thinking that it would be nice to have around to use with the SNES, etc. I finally got the thing out of storage last night and hooked it up. Ye gods, I'd forgotten how mother-loving much those old tube TVs weigh. I just looked in the manual and my 24" Trinitron weighs 72 lbs. Whereas my 40" HDTV weighs less than 20 lbs. That's reason enough alone to thank the heavens for HDTVs; they won't make you throw your back out!
Old 10-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Spear of Justice

I kinda miss my cheap old Sanyo 24" CRT, but the sheer size and weight of the thing was too cumbersome to justify keeping around. Also it wasn't a great set to begin with; it had this weird defect that caused it to lose vertical hold for a half-second whenever the screen flashed bright white, which was pretty annoying to deal with in certain games.

So how's your WEGA looking these days? Really nice, I'll bet!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Trinitron Enthusiast

The N64 looks as smudgy as it always has!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM

I've got a 32" one. It takes two people to move.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

Some of those old TVs you practically need a forklift. A 36" Sony Wega is a 238.5lbs high definition behemoth!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Some of those old TVs you practically need a forklift. A 36" Sony Wega is a 238.5lbs high definition behemoth!
I've got one in my parents' garage. I want to bring it to my apartment but I'm in a second story walkup and I've had several friends tell me they won't help me move it again.

That TV is amazing though. I don't ever want to get rid of it.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM
пик Б

This thread must not end until someone posts a photograph of Spacewar or Colossal Cave Adventure on a disgustingly large HDTV
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I love my dinky ass RCA CRT. It does the job just fine, even if it's only like a 7" screen. Works well enough for Yoshi's Island. Color is pretty good too.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Spear of Justice

Ordered an SD2SNES at 20% off during Krikzz's Black Friday sale. Looks like the sale's still going in case anyone wants to get in on it.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 AM

I set up my new RetroUSB AVS this week. I'm happy with my purchase so far. Played a few old favorites and they all feel great! I plugged in original NES controllers. I don't feel noticeable lag. Inserting the cartridges feels good. Minor gripes:

- Only the third game I tried out (Gradius II) has compatibility problems that make the game unplayable. I googled it and supposedly it's fixed with a firmware update, but this was a little disappointing to me.

- The palette looks darker than I'm used to. The reds are darkish red. Maybe this is a deliberate choice to mimic the CRT experience but I think I prefer the bright colors of an emulator. Anyone else have thoughts on the palette?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM

I updated the firmware to beta version 1.206 and it's a big improvement. Gradius II works like a charm and the video options include about 6 color palettes. At least one of them has brighter colors than the default, and looks good enough to me. I've been playing more NES / FAM than I have in a couple years.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I really want an AVS but I just can't justify $200 for a fancy NES right now.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trar View Post
This thread must not end until someone posts a photograph of Spacewar or Colossal Cave Adventure on a disgustingly large HDTV
This isn't quite that vintage but here's 1981's Astrosmash for Intellivision on a 50 inch.

Not exactly hi fi. I didn't have the right cable and the one I used fit loosely, which might account for the fuzziness
Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
This isn't quite that vintage but here's 1981's Astrosmash for Intellivision on a 50 inch.

Not exactly hi fi. I didn't have the right cable and the one I used fit loosely, which might account for the fuzziness
I'm not the only one who sees the face, right?

I'd be afraid, but it kind of looks too dorky to fear.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:05 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I really want an AVS but I just can't justify $200 for a fancy NES right now.
It's super worth it, though.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 AM
hidden in snow

I'm on the fence between sending off my top-loader to get my botched Hi-Def NES mod fixed, or grabbing an AVS and be done.

Anyone know if the NES Satellite works with the AVS, or a top loader for that matter? It's been working great with our front loader, except when the toddler runs in front of the TV. I know the AVS supports some wireless controllers, but I want to use these great dogbones.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 AM
Spear of Justice

These guys have been posting on Youtube for a while now, but just in case anyone hasn't seen My Life in Gaming, be sure to check out their excellent "RGB Master Class" video series, which breaks down different options for squeezing the best picture out of your crusty old hardware.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Okay, where's the cheat device you unlocked Pots with? Between the crappy camera, camping enemies, shoddy collision detection for grinding, too short time limits, lack of ways to easily gain momentum, the occasional "fuck you" jump replay that will almost certainly ruin your landing, and no easy way to replay stages at your own leisure, I find it a little hard to believe you got all the Jet ranks necessary to unlock him.

That said, it's awesome if you managed to do it legit.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Spear of Justice

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
That said, it's awesome if you managed to do it legit.
Rock 'n Roll Grind and Benten Burning were probably the biggest pains in the ass to Jet rank. I must have replayed both levels at least twenty or thirty times.

And thanks! I can honestly say unlocking Pots on a real Dreamcast was one of my proudest achievements of 2016.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Spear of Justice

Finally got around to updating my Framemeister's firmware last night to version 2.03, which added some fun new options like configuration profiles that can be saved and loaded from a microSD card. I also downloaded a pack of pre-made custom xRGBmini profiles for use with NTSC 1080p displays; they've been incredibly useful for configuring the Framemeister's output for different consoles while maintaining sharp integer-based scaling whenever possible.

At first I was certain I'd only be using the 4x scale profiles with 240p sources because I hate cropping the image at all, but 5x is also very nice. I can now see the appeal of filling up most of the screen with delicious pixels, and I'm only missing four vertical lines from the top and bottom of the image, so it's hardly a dealbreaker with the majority of NES/SNES titles.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

Can someone please explain to me the way to get the best picture out of the Genesis on a CRT? I have a Model 1 "High Definition Graphics" unit, but I'm confused where to go beyond there. Is the unit natively compatible with component or S-Video? SCART? My WEGA has the component and S-Video, but not SCART.

Tags
hardware , retro games