The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
This is a genuinely shocking revelation, haha
DC is not a space-friendly place to live, and I just couldn't justify trying to find room for a CRT. But I need that sweet, sweet lightgun action, so I'll be on the lookout soon!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Slammaster

Bob from RetroRGB has a video up on all the various and sundry options for getting high-quality visuals from all the various and sundry configurations of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM

I'm happy to see there are so many solutions for the PC Engine line. I can't really use any of these, since I've got a Duo, but I did buy mine pre-modded for S-Video (not RGB, though). It looks pretty good, though. I do wish I'd gone with a Duo-R/RX, though, since my CD drive is pretty finicky with burned media. It works gorgeously with legit discs, though; I imported The Legend of Xanadu 1 & 2 for when the fan translation eventually drops.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
I don't have a CRT, but, uh... the additional space in my new digs means I will begin thrifting for one as soon as we move.
I've got one you can have, just gotta swing through Montreal on your way to Tennessee...

Speaking of high-fidelity classic gaming, or at least medium-fidelity, I finally got a set of S-Video cables for my SNES! And also GameCube I guess. They're a pretty cheap set, but I can definitely see a difference using them. Pixels are more clearly defined and colors are less swimmy than they were before. This is my original Super Nintendo from the 90s and it's been through a lot with me, so it feels good to treat it right.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Slammaster

That seems out of the way, Mike. I'd say something about shipping it, but given the double whammy of normal shipping from Canada and the weight of the average CRT... I'll pass.

Also, yeah, s-video is often said to be the biggest step up in quality (SNES does do RGB, though the signal is still noisy). I'm on s-video for N64, because that's as good as it gets without a mod, and with the help of my Framemeister, it looks surprisingly good.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I've got one you can have, just gotta swing through Montreal on your way to Tennessee...

Speaking of high-fidelity classic gaming, or at least medium-fidelity, I finally got a set of S-Video cables for my SNES! And also GameCube I guess. They're a pretty cheap set, but I can definitely see a difference using them. Pixels are more clearly defined and colors are less swimmy than they were before. This is my original Super Nintendo from the 90s and it's been through a lot with me, so it feels good to treat it right.
Quote:
That seems out of the way, Mike. I'd say something about shipping it, but given the double whammy of normal shipping from Canada and the weight of the average CRT... I'll pass.

Also, yeah, s-video is often said to be the biggest step up in quality (SNES does do RGB, though the signal is still noisy). I'm on s-video for N64, because that's as good as it gets without a mod, and with the help of my Framemeister, it looks surprisingly good.
Don't y'all get together once a year? You could just hand it off then?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Slammaster

Putting a CRT on an airplane seems like a massive pain in the ass, but if Mike wants it gone that badly, I'll take it.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Putting a CRT on an airplane seems like a massive pain in the ass, but if Mike wants it gone that badly, I'll take it.
I do not.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 PM
hidden in snow

Iíve been considering getting an Apple IIe for a while, and a recent twitter thread went viral which is stoking the nostalgia fires. The CNN reposting of the thread was silly, like OMG this guy found a 30 year old computer and it works!!! Still, the pictures worked their magic on me, and I think my parents sold our IIe when we upgraded to a Performa 6300. Iíve tried emulators in the past, but they donít get that old CRT color bleed at all.

Anyone know a site to see going prices for old computers, or is scouring closed eBay auctions the way to go? Iíd want a IIe with a color monitor, and hopefully an SD to Floppy hardware emulator, if those exist. We had a monochrome monitor growing up at first, then found a computer shop that would sell color PC monitors with a cable adapter for Apples. My memory is that it was a color monitor with a hardware switch to simulate orange monochrome, in case you had software that didnít work/looked bad in color text, like word processors.

Edit: now that I think about it, would a MISTer and an old CRT accomplish the job? I donít know what monitor outputs the board supports, but it may be more useful than a dedicated computer.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Back to the Bear

Wow, you do NOT want to know what my brother did to the Apple IIe's my mother brought home for me ten years ago.

"Hey, you using these?"
"Eh, no."
"Me and my friend'll take 'em back to the woods then..."
BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

Anyway. There are Apple II clones that approximate the experience... the Laser and the Franklin to name two. I got a Franklin from a garage sale, oh... (counts on fingers) six years ago? It didn't cost much at all and I was excited about the purchase, but then I plugged it all in and it just wouldn't work properly.

The problem with a lot of this old hardware is that it often needs repair, and you need someone with sufficient engineering skills to do it. I've seen Dave "8-Bit Guy" Murray work wonders with this old equipment, reviving a lost cause VIC-20 apparently retrieved from an oil refinery, but he is REALLY good at this sort of thing. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that finding the computer may only be the first step in your journey toward reliving your youth. You may need to squeak by with emulation for the time being.

I do know that sites like AtariAge and Racketboy sell this kind of stuff, although perhaps not at the desired price point. I would suggest an elementary or high school, but I suspect all of their Apple IIs were flushed out a long time ago in rummage sales.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Edit: now that I think about it, would a MISTer and an old CRT accomplish the job? I donít know what monitor outputs the board supports, but it may be more useful than a dedicated computer.
The MiSTer does have an Apple ][ core and with the I/O board will do analogue output, so that is an option, for sure.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM
hidden in snow

Thanks, it looks like the MiSTer core is for a II plus, which is similar but thereís some software incompatibilities. I donít have a vintage computer store within a couple hour radius, and Iím not in a rush. Iíll check out the vendor booths over at the Midwest Gaming Classic this year. Last time I went, I got a good deal on the NES Miracle Piano Keyboard in box, but I donít remember seeing much computer hardware.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Back to the Bear

So I got this weird monitor from Saint Vincent De Paul... it's an LCD display from 2011, yet it's exclusively designed for analog input, with VGA, BNC, and S-video jacks on the back. My best guess is that it's a successor to the PVMs that were designed for video production and security use... you know, the little CRT monitors that go for hundreds or even thousands of dollars on eBay because they work well with video game systems.

As it turns out, this monitor works pretty well with video games too. I connected it to my Saturn, and the quality of the display was pretty impressive, especially for S-video. On my Vizio television set, I'd get little dots of white noise around gray areas and in high contrast areas, but that's not a problem with this mystery monitor. Instead, it offers clean images like this...

The Saturn's resolution is pretty coarse so it doesn't need cutting edge AV like HDMI. Nevertheless, this is an impressive picture for S-video, close to pixel perfect. I've also included footage of Necronomicon, which uses a special high resolution mode, and that looks fine on this monitor as well... the pixels are smaller, of course, but they still seem sharp.

The model number of the monitor is M170CP2. I'd like to know who made it and why, because the design seems so... anachronistic. An LCD monitor with BNC ports? Really? Who even uses those? However, if it produces images like this, it could come from Mars and I'd still be happy with it.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Dang, I saw someone talking about a similar monitor over on Hardcore Retro Gaming, so that's the second time I've been tempted to try to find one of these. That looks really, really nice!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Back to the Bear

You got a link to that discussion? I'd like to see what monitor they're using and how it compares to mine. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Yeah, we didn't hit on it long, but it also has a link to the monitor type. No BNC connectors, but S-Video and composite, which seems pretty crazy!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.ne...-finds?page=37

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-u...-2001fp/specs/

The fact that yours is from 2011 is really impressive.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Back to the Bear

It's really weird is what it is. It must have been designed as a niche product, because it's hard to imagine why a monitor would need two S-video ports in 2011. Not that I'm complaining... it's really handy for me at least. I'm going to throw a few more game systems at it when I get the chance... I'm eager to see how well it handles Game Boy Advance games through the Game Boy Player. They look like crap on just about every other display I've got, and I have plenty.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Have you messed around with any input lag tests? I'd be really curious how things handle on that front as well. You're right, though, it's likely a niche product for things like security rooms and whatnot that still use BNC connectors. That's the only reason I can think of that you'd need it, and probably also the reason it still adheres to the 4:3 aspect ratio.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Hmm, you guys might have luck in trying out office liquidation type places then to find more, as I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that kind of stuff basically gets sold at cost when businesses fold if not cheaper.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Back to the Bear

Sarge: I don't have any specialized software for that, but I did try the monitor with my GameCube and the Game Boy Interface. If there was any lag in Super Mario Bros. 3, I didn't notice it... Mario's jumps seem as spritely as they've always been. The spec sheet claims this monitor and its 19 inch cousin have a response time of 5 milliseconds, so I don't think lag is ever going to be an issue with it.

I did notice some blurring when playing Super Mario 3, but it wasn't a problem with Mario Kart Double Dash, probably because 3D games tend to mask it well. Also, the colors seemed over-saturated in Super Mario 3, but the game was like that by design, to compensate for the dark screens of early Game Boy Advance systems.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Slammaster

EDIT: Nevermind, note to self: read the whole thread next time, dumbass.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Sarge: I don't have any specialized software for that, but I did try the monitor with my GameCube and the Game Boy Interface. If there was any lag in Super Mario Bros. 3, I didn't notice it... Mario's jumps seem as spritely as they've always been. The spec sheet claims this monitor and its 19 inch cousin have a response time of 5 milliseconds, so I don't think lag is ever going to be an issue with it.

I did notice some blurring when playing Super Mario 3, but it wasn't a problem with Mario Kart Double Dash, probably because 3D games tend to mask it well. Also, the colors seemed over-saturated in Super Mario 3, but the game was like that by design, to compensate for the dark screens of early Game Boy Advance systems.
Do they have the 240p test suite on Gamecube? That has a sort of manual lag test, although it's nowhere near scientific. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though; if it feels okay, it's probably fine for everything outside of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, which is my gold standard for whether there is actual lag there or not. Basically, I can go off of pure reaction time off of a CRT, and how badly I get tagged on another display and emulator tells me how bad it is overall. I can't play on a NES Classic, for example, nor can I use RetroArch on a modded SNES Classic. Between the display lag and emulation lag, it's just a bit too much to have any hope.

And then there are the folks that beat him blindfolded. Whee!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Slammaster

Yes, there is a GC version of 240p Test Suite, and you can run it from the same SD launcher you use for GBI.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 PM

I really need one of those SD launchers. I just put the file on a memory card using a modded Wii, and use Twilight Princess as my boot disc. Not the prettiest solution ever, but it does work.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 AM
Back to the Bear

I started out using a memory card and a copy of Agent Under Fire, but man, do you realize just how little storage those cards have? I could barely squeeze the Game Boy Interface onto one of those things. Fortunately, I discovered later that the mod chip I thought I had improperly installed worked just fine... I just burned the discs wrong.

I hate to burn another disc just for a diagnostic tool, since the mini DVDs the Cube requires aren't that easy to find, but now that I have a larger memory card (1151, whoo!) I guess that wouldn't be necessary. Heck, maybe I could run the program on a Wii running Nintendont. Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM

If you've got a Wii, you could just test using the Wii version of 240p Test Suite in that case. In fact, that test suite is on a lot of stuff. According to the site:

Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), Sega CD (Mega CD), Sega Dreamcast, PC Engine/Turbografx-16, Super Nintendo/Super Famicom (SNES/SFC), Sony Playstation, Nintendo Wii and Nintendo GameCube.

But yeah, those memory cards are tiny. I barely fit GBI on mine as well. It was a cheap third-party one I picked up that no longer gets used because I have two high-capacity ones.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Slammaster

I feel like other folks here have gscartsw units, right? It can do both CSYNC, sync-on-composite, and sync-on-luma, right? Most (maybe all?) of my cables are CSYNC, but is there a difference in how the switch handles them?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Spear of Justice

I've got the gscartsw 3.4 and it handles sync-on-composite, sync-on-luma and csync. Can't imagine you'd have any issues with the later revisions either.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Slammaster

Dope. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 PM
Slammaster

RetroGamingCables.co.uk currently has 20% off their PACKAPUNCH line with code RETRO20, if you're looking to upgrade some cables. I had to get a male-to-male SCART for my gscartsw anyways, so I decided to upgrade my shitty $10 eBay Saturn SCART to something with POWER.

Tags
hardware , retro games