The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Probably going to try for S/S+ on the other scenarios on Standard before I throw myself into Hardcore. This game is very good.

It's comin'. Unlocked the last bonus weapon on the Records list, plus an undocumented one, presumably for the S+ rank. Given what it is, I suspect there's one more for getting an S+ with Leon on Hardcore.

Hardcore sure is a trip. I knew there would be ink ribbons, but I was surprised to find that they replace various useful items instead of existing in addition. The game also doesn't bother to mention that Lickers have keener senses than on Standard (something I found out the hard way) or that there are half as many inventory expansions. But the biggest difference, of course, is the lack of checkpoints, which suddenly makes the three-save limit for S+ actually matter. Risky-but-fast strats go out the window when your last save is the better part of an hour ago, and my already tiny inventory was clogged with healing items for when things inevitably went off-script.

I've seen some confusion around as to what the other requirements for S+ are, but near as I can figure, the time limit is two hours for B Scenario and two hours thirty minutes for A Scenario (the same cut-off for an S rank on Hardcore). You are permitted the infinite combat knife, but all other bonus weapons are off-limits (I verified it with the infinite Samurai Edge, and if that's not allowed, it's safe to say none of the better ones are). Unlike the original game, there doesn't seem to be any rule against first aid sprays; I tested it by using one on a previous run, then used three or four on the last one, so spray away.

If you're up to the challenge, I do recommend going for the S+ on all scenarios on Standard before moving on to Hardcore, just for the practice. Having the maps and item locations down pat is invaluable when the training wheels come off. For your three saves, I went with one before Mr. X shows up during the second trip to the precinct (he's way too random and can kill a run if he wants to), one before going through the G-Imago gauntlet to get the Queen and King Plugs (they're manipulable but can easily get out of hand), and one before the G3 fight in the lab (same, plus it's close enough to the end of the game).
Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 AM

Damn, mighty impressive results. Gonna tackle no save HC again this weekend prolly. The jail segment with Leon is just really dang tough to get through without dying.

HC is definitely intense as hell, I haven't done any standard runs yet, although I noticed you have to in order to get the max item slots cheevo.

some jukes and 360 no scopes

Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Slammaster

Can we settle the naming convention here? Thx.

Also, dang, Kishi. I haven't even finished all the scenarios on a normal run yet!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Slammaster

Playing Claire B (I haven't played Claire A yet) and, man alive, did they ever up the creepy fucker factor on Chief Irons? Holy catfish.

Also, does anyone know, if you have only one or two Mr. Raccoons left, and you get them, do you have to complete that playthrough to get the bonus for getting them all or does it unlock right away if you start a new game without finishing that one? (I assume you have to complete the playthrough, but a man can hope.)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 PM
Little Waves

The game auto-saves the moment you destroy a Mr. Raccoon, and it stays destroyed across all scenarios—no need to complete the game for it to count.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Slammaster

Amazing. Thanks, Kishi!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:29 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Can we settle the naming convention here? Thx.

Also, dang, Kishi. I haven't even finished all the scenarios on a normal run yet!
I TOLD you already, it's RE2K19, Jesus
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I TOLD you already, it's RE2K19, Jesus
YOU TOLD ME THAT AFTER.

Also, almost done with Claire B. Then I'm gonna try an S Rank of Leon A to get the infinite handgun.

Also also, I'm really curious about Kishi's as-yet-undocumented unlock. Tell me what it is, Kishi!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Slammaster

I S-ranked Leon A on standard. My final time was 2:33, and I was worried I have to go back a couple saves to shave some time, but no, it gave it to me. I feel like I'm doing this all out of order, but with the last couple Mr. Raccoons and the S-rank, now I'm finally going to play Claire A! For the first time! (Then Leon B, then... Hardcore mode.)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

I played through Leon A this weekend and got a B. What a great game! Balances the good combat of (most of) the recent games with keeping what was interesting about the original game along with some new elements. I kind of found Mr. X more annoying than scary, but whatever. I'll play through Claire B this week, probably.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM

I keep getting thwarted when I attempt no save HC runs...

Dang Ada section got me killed last time -_-
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡HarlequinPanic! View Post
I keep getting thwarted when I attempt no save HC runs...

Dang Ada section got me killed last time -_-
Ada in every cutscene up til her playable section: Invincible, unpressed, wearing sunglasses indoors, at night, and heels.
Ada in her playable section and every cutscene during and after: ma'am how did you make it through Dog Hell
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
so exciting!

also not to sound too cinema sins-esque or w/e but it is wild that lickers respond to the sound but don't hear zomboys banging on windows or mr eight foot tall teen angst stomping around
Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Slammaster

Their hearing is so good, they know those are their bros.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Born in the USA

Nobody is bros with Mr. X
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Why is it "Mr. X" and not "the Tyrant?" I always knew the thing as Tyrant, and the in-game collection seems to call him that too??
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

The "Mr. X" moniker derives from extra-canonical sources like the original game's novelization and other ancillary promotional material like toys and comic books. It's never used in either the original or the remake, but it's useful as disambiguation from the other various Tyrant series B.O.W.s seen across the series, and an apt encapsulation of this particular version's more incognito personal embellishments.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Born in the USA

Yeah, to me "the Tyrant" is referring to the boss of RE1, and the other Tyrants get their own nicknames.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Also if you don't call him Mr. X then this is only half as funny.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
The "Mr. X" moniker derives from extra-canonical sources like the original game's novelization and other ancillary promotional material like toys and comic books. It's never used in either the original or the remake, but it's useful as disambiguation from the other various Tyrant series B.O.W.s seen across the series, and an apt encapsulation of this particular version's more incognito personal embellishments.
It's possible I'm misremembering, I'd have to double check, but I swear the original official strategy guide for RE2 referred to him as Mr. X.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

So... going to do leon a / claire b : how do i zombie? To me zombs the most dangerous enemy in the game, and I felt i never pin ed a good dodge strategy.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Blowing off a leg is a good way to deal with them, especially if they're in areas you don't anticipate returning too, or rooms wide enough that you can easily dodge around them when they're crawling on the ground. That way you don't have to spend ammo repeatedly trying to knock them down. Zombies missing a leg can't open doors and thus will be trapped where they are, so you don't have to worry about them migrating.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM
120 Days

I feel like any move like that is rng. I can easy put 5 rounds into a leg. Is tgere a sweet spot?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I feel like any move like that is rng. I can easy put 5 rounds into a leg. Is tgere a sweet spot?
I'm curious about this too. I tried once to shoot some legs and nothing really came from it so I wasn't sure if I was shooting the right spot.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm curious about this too. I tried once to shoot some legs and nothing really came from it so I wasn't sure if I was shooting the right spot.
It works, but is “expensive”
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Typically I go for the bottom part of the leg, near the foot. I'd say it's usually around 3 bullets, sometimes more.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

The game has adaptive difficulty so the number of rounds a zombie takes does not remain constant.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
The game has adaptive difficulty so the number of rounds a zombie takes does not remain constant.
Whaaaaat? This is the first I've heard about that.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Yeah, same.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 PM

It's a really wide adaptation, too. If you constantly avoid hits and never use healing items a single attack can drop you to red. If you miss your shots constantly your crit rate goes way up.

Tags
big poppin' headshots , capcom , first day on the job , horror games , hunk is life , leon is hometown , mr. x is dr. wily , re2-make , resident evil , tofu dlc , we do it