The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordian View Post
Wow, WTF is going on with some of those inputs? Do we have any photos of the interface?

I'm not a fan of the clusterfuck happening on the screen in the background, though I assume that's just the "all-star" mode at work.

I wonder if this means we'll get another version down the road? if so, I REALLY hope I can import my Curtain Call purchased tracks. Otherwise I'd likely skip it.

EDIT: Holy fucking shit
Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

God, I forgot how bad this game sounds if you don't turn off the feedback chimes.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
God, I forgot how bad this game sounds if you don't turn off the feedback chimes.
I turned the ones to swords and arrows at low volume for battle mode and I like it that way.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

There's an arcade in Denver that has 2 official cabinets of Theatrhythm: All-Star Carnival and also sells Nesica cards that let you connect to the servers and maintain progress on an account. I've been twice and I love love love it, even more than the 3DS games. It controls much better than the circle pads, it has all the same songs, plus they've been adding tracks for new releases so it's got FFXV songs plus stuff from Nier: Automata and just recently started adding Octopath Traveler tracks. And it has Ultimate difficulty song charts that go up to level 15. These things are insane and I can't even read level 11 ones effectively. It also has a bunch of Medley songs that count for 2 plays instead of 1 (you get 3 songs per credit), but they often include 6 songs or more and change between field and battle music to break up the pace. It's really cool!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Little Waves

Consider me jelly. The arcade interface seems like it'd be hard to wrap my head around, but I'd jump at a chance to try it.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 AM
-ryn

oh, they had one of those cabinets at MAGfest this year. I got to try it. I can't read japanese, so I had no idea what options to pick in the interface, but I watched another guy and hit the same menu choices he did to get to the song selection. I had a devil of a time dealing with the double inputs like -> <- or or whatever. my hands were more comfortable having one hand on the knob and one hand on the button, but the doulble inputs mean you can't really do that.

It was fun even without understanding what the heck i should be doing since I coulnd't read the instructions.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Man, that sounds amazing and I want to try it. It'd be cool if one showed up at DragonCon next year, they had a lot of JP rhythm games last fall. I don't really know where else I could hope to run into one, unless the WeDoCa guys somehow got there hands on one for Animazement in Raleigh but that seems unlikely.

(Though I suppose there's likely to be some somewhere in the Bay Area, and I do visit my family in Berkeley semi-often these days...)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
There's an arcade in Denver that has 2 official cabinets of Theatrhythm: All-Star Carnival and also sells Nesica cards that let you connect to the servers and maintain progress on an account. I've been twice and I love love love it, even more than the 3DS games. It controls much better than the circle pads, it has all the same songs, plus they've been adding tracks for new releases so it's got FFXV songs plus stuff from Nier: Automata and just recently started adding Octopath Traveler tracks. And it has Ultimate difficulty song charts that go up to level 15. These things are insane and I can't even read level 11 ones effectively. It also has a bunch of Medley songs that count for 2 plays instead of 1 (you get 3 songs per credit), but they often include 6 songs or more and change between field and battle music to break up the pace. It's really cool!
I should really go lodge-hopping at Disney World again one of these days, see if one of the many arcades there has these machines.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
oh, they had one of those cabinets at MAGfest this year
That's where I got to play it for the first time! It's a lot more fun when you have a Nesica card and can play 3 tracks per credit and also unlock all the tracks and level up your dudes.

The craziest input changes has to be the double-hold notes with alternations. You have to let go and then hold down with your other hand simultaneously, and then they also start throwing curve balls where you have to hit touch and slide triggers with one hand while holding down on the other. AND THEN Ultimate charts will make those insanely fast alternating combined with simultaneous hold+slides and just... yikes.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I've been twice and I love love love it, even more than the 3DS games. It controls much better than the circle pads
I didn't know that anybody actually used button controls. Stylus is obviously the way to play Theatrhythm.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
I didn't know that anybody actually used button controls. Stylus is obviously the way to play Theatrhythm.
I played hybrid style using both. Circle pad for arrows mostly and moving the field cursor around.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Other than slow paced stuff like Etrian Odyssey I hate touch input. I went from "can barely clear a song" to "doing pretty great" when they added button inputs as an option.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM
Boom

I can do both, but I never really looked back after Curtain Call introduced button controls.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:00 AM
-ryn

I've never even tried button controls... the stylus works good for me except on the arrows where i sometimes can't flick quite fast enough with multiple arrows in a row once the speed picks up. I might have to try the hybrid aproach...
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Pronouns: ♂

I've probably put in a 100 hours or so and I've only ever used button controls.

Tags
crazy chocobo , final fantasy , numbers go up , rhythm games , theatrhythm , threat rhyme , u dancin': mad