The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

I don't know if you can them for every ability, but Scrolls let you customize your leader's ability set. Gave Ciaran Dash L1 earlier.

Also, there's an important question no one is asking about the roster, when will Square announce playable Ridley?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I don't know if you can them for every ability, but Scrolls let you customize your leader's ability set. Gave Ciaran Dash L1 earlier.

Also, there's an important question no one is asking about the roster, when will Square announce playable Ridley?
The same time they announce Mega Man.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

We'll get Geno before that...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Team Girl Power is go! Tifa #2, Terra, Serah, and Yuna #2!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM

How does the full game differ from the demo? What is the party selection all about? It's not just "pick a song" gameplay the whole time, right? There's some sort of world-tour or something, I'm guessing?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:03 PM
That Pokemon Guy

When can you unlock Streetpass?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:22 PM
earthquake ace

Okay. This is gonna take a while, so grab some popcorn.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is only half a rhythm game. The other half is an RPG system, complete with stats and HP and items and all that good stuff. This is most prevalent in the Battle Music Stages (BMS) (I think those are the words, at least), where you've got monsters that you attack when you hit notes and attack you when you miss notes.

Each character has their own stat progression, generally fitting their primary roles in their games. For example, Terra's got a higher Magic score than most. Each character also learns their own set of abilities as they level up, which range from passive bonuses (like Paeon which slowly regenerates HP over the song) to reactionary effects (like Fire which damages the enemy after X number of notes).

Now, for game modes. First off, you have Music Select, which is the "pick a song" gameplay you see in the demo, except with one hundred times more songs than it had. You start with only a few games unlocked (based on your starting party's games), unlock all of the other games' songs after you play 4 songs, then unlock various Event Music Stages (EMS) as you collect Rhythmia.

Then, there's the Quests, which, I think the best way to describe them is kind of like Find Mii 2. Each Quest has a map with a number of nodes. Each node has a song, and clearing the song lets you progress to the next node. There are often branches in the path, where you can pick which node to go to. Various things change this, such as keys and locked doors, stuff like that, but that's the basic structure. Completing a Quest gives a reward.

The last primary mode is the Vs. Battles. Here, you can directly compete against another person (or an AI). Both of you play the same song, and whoever gets more points wins. As you play, you fill up your EX Meter. When your EX Meter is full, it temporarily causes a random detrimental effect to your opponent, such as tightening the hit judgment (as in, anything less than Critical is a Miss) or making the notes go faster. They also have EX Meters, of course, so you have to deal with these effects as well. (Yes, they are obnoxious as hell.)

As you play the game, you'll collect various "CollectaCards". These are virtual trading cards depicting the characters and monsters you'll see in the game. You can read a short bio of the character on the card in the Museum, and also fuse the cards into one of your party members to boost their stats (Oh, hi Persona. Didn't see you there.). There are also achievements if you can't handle open-ended score-based gameplay. :P

I think that about covers it!

EDIT: Streetpass: I think it happened after beating a Quest? It's the same time Vs. Battles open up, since they're tied together.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:36 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Do quests always have the same Fat Chocobo rewards? Because my starting quest had a Turquoise Shard.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

You create a Profile Card that you trade with the people you street pass. It has a bunch of info about you on it, but the big thing is that you can attach any completed quest map to it. These go into the inherited maps folder, and everything you've unlocked on the map is unlocked for the next player (i.e. they will know what the bosses drop and what each song along paths you've taken are). Maps can be inherited up to twice, so your inhered maps can have up to three owners (or is it three and four? Not sure offhand).

The main reasoning for this is that the quest mode is the real meat of the game in a lot of ways, it's a very good way to level up and get loot. For instance the original game had a similar system with dark notes (basically a quest that was just a single FMS then a BMS); I found a dark note where the BMS was nothing but magic pots, which you can farm for huge piles of XP, so I was able to give that to other people.

Same idea, a lot of the rewards are fixed so you can trade maps to get what you want. I just wish you could add a note to maps (I don't know if anyone ever used my magic pot map, since the non XP loot wasn't spectacular and you'd need to play it to find out why I was sharing it).

EDIT: Boss drops and loot for winning are consistent, but I'm not sure about fat chocobos.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Cool. I hear VS. causes the swapping info thing, too? If so... we gun haf to have us a ole fashuned throw-down.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Naughty List

Yep, forgot to mention that. You trade cards after a vs. game.

Vs. is sort of terrible (though if you can play on extreme there's an option for non-EX burst) but I expect to play a fair amount to trade for maps.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Yep, forgot to mention that. You trade cards after a vs. game.

Vs. is sort of terrible (though if you can play on extreme there's an option for non-EX burst) but I expect to play a fair amount to trade for maps.
Yeah, I really wish the "EX Burst Off" option was separate from the difficulty slider. Because seriously, screw Monster Buff. And Judgment. And Mystery Triggers.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 PM
That Pokemon Guy

The original game had a Dark Note that everyone got by default as their first note. It's thus the one that I got 99% of the time in a Streetpass.

I wonder if the first Quest is the same? I had King Behemoth as a boss and he dropped Red Shards.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Preemptively, since we're gonna need it eventually anyway: a place for sharing maps, and murderin' peeps.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Naughty List

I got red shards, no idea from what I already got all the reds and deleted that map.

NOTE! There are two types of boss loot. Drops and Rewards. Rewards, from what I've seen, are always a pile of shards (higher level may be something else, I haven't beaten a quest over level 50 yet). Drops are one of three random items. You get one drop (possibly more with abilities? Not sure) + all rewards for each boss in the quest.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Man, DLC characters too? This is crazy. (right now it's only Yuffie)
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
The original game had a Dark Note that everyone got by default as their first note. It's thus the one that I got 99% of the time in a Streetpass.

I wonder if the first Quest is the same? I had King Behemoth as a boss and he dropped Red Shards.
Yup, same here. And same as another just-got-the-game guy I battled online last night.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 PM
heh

Ok so this game is a lot of fun even just playing random songs, and the quest progression is great but maaaan it's gonna take me a while to figure out party building. There's so many options already and so many abilities to configure I don't know what I'm doing.

I guess I'll just try to build a balanced party and see how that goes?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Is Basch really not in this game?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
Man, DLC characters too? This is crazy. (right now it's only Yuffie)
Yeah I don't really see myself paying for new characters, given the amount the game comes with out of the box.

Unless one of them is Green Hair Terra. I got upset at that all over again when I unlocked Faris and saw that she had her purple hair, despite also being a blonde in Amano-art.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM
earthquake ace

I got a Quest from some Japanese guy, and it's at level 99. Rewards included an Ultima Scroll, a Libra Scroll III, and an Exp Up Scroll III.

Of course, it's filled with Ultimate Score BMSes and it's Long, but that's okay. I'd attach it, but apparently I'm the fourth already. :/
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Is Basch really not in this game?
I'm Captain Basch!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I'm Captain Basch!

I was gonna do that joke if I had Vaan in my party and could confirm that was one of his level up lines (since there's a screenshot button in the corner at all times).

EDIT: Concerning control schemes, I've found it very effective to use the stylus for taps and holds, and the Circle Pad for slides.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 09-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I'm Captain Basch!

It's pretty funny that the guy who was supposed to be the main character now can't even make it into the fanservice spinoffs. This is a game I'd buy for $20 or so, but without Basch I'll be inclined to buy it for even less. Oh yes, I did just go there, Square-Enix.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Frozen Custard Trooper

I think I might play this game forever. I played the first for around a hundred hours, and this has so many more songs. And Quest Mode which is infinitely better than Dark Notes.

Only mode I have left to unlock is the theater, otherwise it's just songs and characters.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

I just hit level 99 with X2 Yuna, and so I prestiged her. It works like in DQ 9, start over at lev 1 with a little star. She'll max out at a higher CP, and she keeps all boosts from collectacards.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Naughty List

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
I just hit level 99 with X2 Yuna, and so I prestiged her. It works like in DQ 9, start over at lev 1 with a little star. She'll max out at a higher CP, and she keeps all boosts from collectacards.
You can what with what now?

Oh god.

Someone please tell my family that I love them.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

Welcome to the rest of your life. I counted 62 characters in my select screen. You have to prestige multiple times to hit the actual CP cap of 99.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I thought I noticed that characters seemed to level up faster then in the original game.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
I thought I noticed that characters seemed to level up faster then in the original game.
Technically, they aren't; still takes 2^16-1 EXP. But chances are enemies give more EXP overall.

Tags
crazy chocobo , final fantasy , numbers go up , rhythm games , theatrhythm , threat rhyme , u dancin': mad